4.50 External hard drive issue

FERZNEXTDOOR

2 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Either the drive is defective or it's one of those drives that gets it's power source through the system it's connected to rather than through an external power source. If it doesn't have an external power source than the issue probably has something to do with your PS4 not supplying the external drive with enough juice to work.

For the record this is the drive I own and it works. This drive requires an external power source (So it comes with it's own power cord to that you have to plug into a electricity outlet) in order to work.

I also own a 1 TB external drive that is powered by the device it's connected to and it's working perfectly on my little brother's PS4 as well. I imagine a 4 or 5 TB drive takes up a lot more juice to work than a 1 TB drive though. 

The drive runs through an external power source so the drive is most likely defective :/ . Well thanks for the information :D

58 minutes ago, DuckSwimmer said:

Just installed mine. Worked like a charm.

17264635_10212189984094479_7613253897038

Holy crap that's a lot of space. I really wanted to get an 8 TB drive, but I decided to settle with a 5 TB drive instead. So far it feels like it's more than enough for me since I'm about done downloading all my games and I still have a little over 3 and a half TB of storage. 

Hopefully by the time I run out of storage (If it actually ever happens lol) Sony will enable the PS4 to support more than 1 external drive. As of right now you can only have 1 external drive hooked up to the PS4 and I imagine that is because of the 8 TB limit, but hopefully they let us have more than 1 external drive hooked up to the PS4 at some point. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, ivangutjahr said:

How to do that? I'm trying without success. I can use my 2TB to upload saves and gallery but not games. It's formated with ExFat.

There should be an option to format it with the PS4 itself. If you're formatting it with something else that's your issue. It should be in the settings somewhere to properly format it via PS4.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Got tired of not finding a solution to Maxell hdd problem.

Found a solution that works great.

Bought https://www.wish.com/c/usb-30-external-2535inch-sata-hard-drive-enclosure-ssd-hdd-disk-case-57a58ef8...

Around 15-20 Euros with shipping 2 weeks actual delivery time and not 4 - 6 weeks according to Wish.

Video how to remove HDD in Maxell enclosure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqqbsmCwctM

Maximum 5 minuts and need no skill at all to remove it.

Works great.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-4-23 at 0:18 PM, DuckSwimmer said:

There should be an option to format it with the PS4 itself. If you're formatting it with something else that's your issue. It should be in the settings somewhere to properly format it via PS4.

the problem is my external HDD is samsung and for a reason sony dont recognize it (we know why haha)...at least i used it to create a backup and then restored it on the ps4 pro i bought =)

• 6 months later...

So, I'm well aware this thread died months ago but I'm having an issue with my external hard drive. It's a Seagate 2TB. The model is srd0nf1. My brother decided this morning to go ahead and connect his laptop to our tv with an HDMI cable. I told him to hop off and let me get on the PlayStation. I get on and the majority of my games have the error logo, I try to start them and it tells me to reconnect the device which is still plugged in. I've taken it out and plugged it in, I've gone to the USB settings to format it again and it can't be detected. The hard drive is also beeping and vibrating. What do I do?

also, I just have a regular PS4 with the two USB ports in the front. I have an adapter in one to add four more.

Edited by TeaLeavezz

8 minutes ago, TeaLeavezz said:

So, I'm well aware this thread died months ago but I'm having an issue with my external hard drive. It's a Seagate 2TB. The model is srd0nf1. My brother decided this morning to go ahead and connect his laptop to our tv with an HDMI cable. I told him to hop off and let me get on the PlayStation. I get on and the majority of my games have the error logo, I try to start them and it tells me to reconnect the device which is still plugged in. I've taken it out and plugged it in, I've gone to the USB settings to format it again and it can't be detected. The hard drive is also beeping and vibrating. What do I do?

also, I just have a regular PS4 with the two USB ports in the front. I have an adapter in one to add four more.

Any chance your ex hdd is plug into the adapter ports. I read somewhere it needs a direct original port. Just wondering.

21 minutes ago, TeaLeavezz said:

I've found, at times, the External HDD takes time to be recognized. I've had it start with the error symbol for all the games, and the slowly convert to recognized files. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes, but I have a bigger HD. For me, it generally only does this if it's been disconnected from my system and then reconnected. 

20 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Any chance your ex hdd is plug into the adapter ports. I read somewhere it needs a direct original port. Just wondering.

No, it's plugged into the USB on the PlayStation itself. I've taken it out and plugged it into the adapter's outlets but none of them worked.

7 minutes ago, Floorkiller74 said:

I've found, at times, the External HDD takes time to be recognized. I've had it start with the error symbol for all the games, and the slowly convert to recognized files. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes, but I have a bigger HD. For me, it generally only does this if it's been disconnected from my system and then reconnected. 

I'll give that a try. I don't know if the external HDD was unplugged or not. I asked my brother and he said he'd only removed a mouse and keyboard plugged into the adapter that I used to play fortnite. He also removed the HDMI from our Apple TV and plugged it into his laptop.

Ok, I left my hard drive alone for a bit and it stopped beeping. I checked the USB settings and it can be found it says now that it cannot format the device because it doesn't meet the requirements even though it does.

here's the specs it's coming up with.

Capacity: 144115.2 TB

Used Space: -

Edited by TeaLeavezz

@TeaLeavezzNot enough power? That is weird. It is plugged in with its own power adapter right? If so, is it plugged into a surge protector? Sometimes too many from from one outlet can reduce power distribution.

26 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

@TeaLeavezzNot enough power? That is weird. It is plugged in with its own power adapter right? If so, is it plugged into a surge protector? Sometimes too many from from one outlet can reduce power distribution.

Yes it's plugged into a surge protector. The same one its been plugged into for about a year and a half. I've plugged other devices into the USB outlets on the PlayStation and they work just fine. I'm under the impression the hard drive is malfunctioning. I've left it alone and it's stopped beeping and I can find it under the USB storage settings. It won't let me format. Says it doesn't meet the requirements. I can't format as exFAT either.

@TeaLeavezzso I did a little googling with the beeping and power issue because I too use external and its good to know in case shts like this comes up. Some say its the arm issue inside the seagate models that it can...get stuck if dropped causing a malfunction. Or the power the power output is low, are u using the right usb cable? There is 1.0 and 2.0 3.0. Some did this and it worked....hit the case on its side on the table...

2 minutes ago, damage_6-9 said:

If you can't fix it with a hammer.... it's probably an electrical fault. :)

I wasss gonna suggest blowing on it...you know like the old nes/snes cartridge days. How it just works again is..magical!?

On 12/20/2017 at 5:36 PM, TeaLeavezz said:

Ok, I left my hard drive alone for a bit and it stopped beeping. I checked the USB settings and it can be found it says now that it cannot format the device because it doesn't meet the requirements even though it does.

here's the specs it's coming up with.

Capacity: 144115.2 TB

Used Space: -

I’m sorry, 144 thousand Terabytes? Because while I doubt that number is accurate, If it sees >8TB, that could be why it won’t recognize it. It is most definitely wrong in its assessment, but wow.