Yakuza Franchise Question

Sinthoras_96

Hey everyone, 

I have a few questions about the Yakuza series. Hope you can help me out :)

1. Do these games have an English ( maybe even other languages like german) localization or are they completely Japanese? 

Or is this different from game to game? 

2. If I would want to play them,  which order I should go for?  

3. I've read something about the first game being remastered for ps4 this year. Do they plan to remaster more or maybe all of the ps2 / ps3 games?  Because I would obviously prefer to play them on ps4^^

1. Mainline games are localized. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza_(series)

Only spin-offs and 1&2 remaster for PS3 aren't. Since PS4 remaster of Yakuza 1 is coming, the PS3 remaster can be forgotten =D

2. As the numbering goes. Yakuza 0 is a prequel then 1-5. 1 is getting Kiwami remaster so you can wait for that.

3. PS2 games possibly (you can't play Yakuza with dub, you just can't) but I don't think PS3 games will be remastered. Maybe for PS5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

1. Mainline games are localized. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza_(series)

Only spin-offs and 1&2 remaster for PS3 aren't. Since PS4 remaster of Yakuza 1 is coming, the PS3 remaster can be forgotten =D

2. As the numbering goes. Yakuza 0 is a prequel then 1-5. 1 is getting Kiwami remaster so you can wait for that

Localized means English subtitles in this case?  I would be okay with that^^

So, 0,1,2,3,4 and 5 are all with English subtitles? What about 6? I also read something about a western release of 6. Is it only on Japanese right now? 

Just now, Sinthoras_96 said:

Localized means English subtitles in this case?  I would be okay with that^^

Yep, English subs for sure. But there may be local EU versions with other subs, I'm not sure about these :D

1 minute ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

So, 0,1,2,3,4 and 5 are all with English subtitles?

Yes.

0 - PS4

1,2 - PS2

3,4,5 - PS3

2 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

What about 6? I also read something about a western release of 6. Is it only on Japanese right now? 

I omitted 6 because it's too early for that =D

SEGA did announce localization but in early 2018. Considering all possible delays, maybe summer 2018 =D

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Yep, English subs for sure. But there may be local EU versions with other subs, I'm not sure about these :D

Yes.

0 - PS4

1,2 - PS2

3,4,5 - PS3

I omitted 6 because it's too early for that =D

SEGA did announce localization but in early 2018. Considering all possible delays, maybe summer 2018 =D

Isn't 1 dubbed in English instead of just being subbed?

18 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Isn't 1 dubbed in English instead of just being subbed?

Original version of Yakuza 1 had an english dub. The remake they'll be releasing in summer will only have the japanese voices though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

Thanks for the replies. I hope that they remaster the second ps2 game for ps4 too at some point. 

One last question: Is this Zombie spinoff any good?  From my point of view it looks like something that doesn't really fit in the series. 

It's a solid game with extremely bad technical issues. If you really want more Yakuza and are fine with the framerate eating shit on a regular basis i'd recommend it, but you're better off starting with the main games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sinthoras_96 said:

One last question: Is this Zombie spinoff any good?  From my point of view it looks like something that doesn't really fit in the series. 

It's better than 3 & 5 for sure. And from the looks of it, will be better than 6 as well, 6 wasn't received very well after all. Both of those games are pretty abysmal overall while Dead Souls is a solid spin-off.

While I like this series it's EXTREMELY repetitive and most of the content lies in minigames which are 90% horrible, either because they're grindy, badly designed or have cheating AI. Aside from that the story quality dips a lot and hits the rock bottom with 3 & 5 at least, 6 will probably be the same from what I've heard. Also, if you were to get Zero I wouldn't recommend getting Kiwami at least at full price since it's more or less a reskin of Zero aside form the obvious story perspective.

From trophy perspective the only ones with semi-tolerable lists are Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls, the 100% trophies are a real pain in the ass and will burn you out real fast.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...