Mystic Artes, how do I activate

Alternatewarning

Clearly there is some mechanic that I just don't understand.  I am trying to activate the over limit mystic artes, I think?  The moment where your character gets a tiny cutscene.  The enemies can do it but I can't figure out how.  Looking online it just says "activate it and then press X".  Press X when though?  I know you have to use an arcane arte, I'm using Rowan's Tidal Wave but I can't activate it.  Can someone give me a step by step?

Edited by Alternatewarning

41 minutes ago, Alternatewarning said:

Clearly there is some mechanic that I just don't understand.  I am trying to activate the over limit, I think?  The moment where your character gets a tiny cutscene.  The enemies can do it but I can't figure out how. 

I think you're confusing overlimit with mystic artes. In order to use a mystic arte, you need to be in overlimit, and hold x while using an arcane art.

It's been a while since I played Xillia, but I'm pretty sure you need to unlock a skill or be a certain level before you can use mystic artes as well.

1 minute ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

I think you're confusing overlimit with mystic artes. In order to use a mystic arte, you need to be in overlimit, and hold x while using an arcane art.

It's been a while since I played Xillia, but I'm pretty sure you need to unlock a skill or be a certain level before you can use mystic artes as well.

Oh...well I'm stuck on mystic artes then?  I do have the right level since the game told me how to do it, I just...don't follow