SirShavesALot

Reunion Trophy is Ridiculous

46 posts in this topic

Who thought that putting a trophy in where you have to locate another player's base was a good idea?  With over 18 quintillion planets in the game the chances of finding one where a player built a base are almost non-existent.  Yes, I know 2 people on this site have the trophy, but they got extremely lucky.  This trophy has nothing to do with skill or knowledge of the game.  It is completely luck based.  Unless they add a feature in that allows you to easily visit a friend's base, this trophy is almost impossible to obtain without spending countless hours searching for a base.  I was trying over the weekend and was having enough trouble finding systems that were discovered by other players.  To narrow it down to a specific planet with a player built base is absurd.  I think I'll stick with my 94%.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SirShavesALot said:

Who thought that putting a trophy in where you have to locate another player's base was a good idea?  With over 18 quintillion planets in the game the chances of finding one where a player built a base are almost non-existent.  Yes, I know 2 people on this site have the trophy, but they got extremely lucky.  This trophy has nothing to do with skill or knowledge of the game.  It is completely luck based.  Unless they add a feature in that allows you to easily visit a friend's base, this trophy is almost impossible to obtain without spending countless hours searching for a base.  I was trying over the weekend and was having enough trouble finding systems that were discovered by other players.  To narrow it down to a specific planet with a player built base is absurd.  I think I'll stick with my 94%.

 

The easiest way of earning this would be to make bases near the center, due to permadeath and survival trophy. make the scan and locate the base

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SirShavesALot said:

Who thought that putting a trophy in where you have to locate another player's base was a good idea?  With over 18 quintillion planets in the game the chances of finding one where a player built a base are almost non-existent.  Yes, I know 2 people on this site have the trophy, but they got extremely lucky.  This trophy has nothing to do with skill or knowledge of the game.  It is completely luck based.  Unless they add a feature in that allows you to easily visit a friend's base, this trophy is almost impossible to obtain without spending countless hours searching for a base.  I was trying over the weekend and was having enough trouble finding systems that were discovered by other players.  To narrow it down to a specific planet with a player built base is absurd.  I think I'll stick with my 94%.

I'm not being simple or awkward but the galaxy map tells you when there's a planet base nearby, by pressing up on the map to search for discoveries. It's in the system's information box. Have you tried that? I've not tried any trophies in this patch yet but you don't make it clear if you tried that or vroom-vroomed around looking for someone's discoveries manually.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GarryKE said:

I'm not being simple or awkward but the galaxy map tells you when there's a planet base nearby, by pressing up on the map to search for discoveries. It's in the system's information box. Have you tried that? I've not tried any trophies in this patch yet but you don't make it clear if you tried that or vroom-vroomed around looking for someone's discoveries manually.

I've tried searching.  I can rarely find systems that have been discovered, let alone planets.  The systems I have come across were all found when the game was first released and didn't have base building.  They are pretty much telling you to find a needle in a haystack.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SirShavesALot said:

I've tried searching.  I can rarely find systems that have been discovered, let alone planets.  The systems I have come across were all found when the game was first released and didn't have base building.  They are pretty much telling you to find a needle in a haystack.

 

I guess your best bet is asking someone to give you the location of their base and flying to them if you really want it in that case. I agree with you though, it is a little silly. It would have been a lot better had everyone stayed on the game but the fallout after release saw to that.

 

Also it didn't help that there was no warning once you'd reach the centre that you would lose access to your base! I lost the perfect base location and planet because of that. All because of some plank on Reddit.

Edited by GarryKE
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SirShavesALot said:

I've tried searching.  I can rarely find systems that have been discovered, let alone planets.  The systems I have come across were all found when the game was first released and didn't have base building.  They are pretty much telling you to find a needle in a haystack.

If you are in the same star cluster that someone has discovered, I would imagine you can build a beacon and search for colonial outposts. I think they also tracks user bases. I could give you the name of my home planet and you can try and find it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to make a thread about this earlier, but there is a method people use to find each other.

 

This app tells you how many jumps you are away from the community-created Galactic Hub, as well as any other planet in the game:

https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/

 

You can find your coordinates by building a signal booster on a planet. I compared my coordinates with four of the most recent posters on this Reddit thread and my closest person was only 35 jumps away. I figured if we could get a PSNP thread going and create a list of all our bases, we might get to a point where most people will be able to find a nearby player without having to take a ridiculous amount of jumps.

 

More information on the Galactic Hub, that map app and coordinates here:

Galactic Hub Reddit Thread

Galactic Hub Q&A

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shadiochao said:

I was going to make a thread about this earlier, but there is a method people use to find each other.

 

This app tells you how many jumps you are away from the community-created Galactic Hub, as well as any other planet in the game:

https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/

 

You can find your coordinates by building a signal booster on a planet. I compared my coordinates with four of the most recent posters on this Reddit thread and my closest person was only 35 jumps away. I figured if we could get a PSNP thread going and create a list of all our bases, we might get to a point where most people will be able to find a nearby player without having to take a ridiculous amount of jumps.

 

More information on the Galactic Hub, that map app and coordinates here:

Galactic Hub Reddit Thread

Galactic Hub Q&A

That sounds awesome, let's make such a thread!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

I was going to make a thread about this earlier, but there is a method people use to find each other.

 

This app tells you how many jumps you are away from the community-created Galactic Hub, as well as any other planet in the game:

https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/

 

You can find your coordinates by building a signal booster on a planet. I compared my coordinates with four of the most recent posters on this Reddit thread and my closest person was only 35 jumps away. I figured if we could get a PSNP thread going and create a list of all our bases, we might get to a point where most people will be able to find a nearby player without having to take a ridiculous amount of jumps.

 

More information on the Galactic Hub, that map app and coordinates here:

Galactic Hub Reddit Thread

Galactic Hub Q&A

 

I'll have to check that out.  Thanks for the link. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I went to the site and I put in my coordinates.  It shows where I am in relation to the Galactic Hub (I'm reallllllly far away), but I can't figure out what it means when it says "Go 1 up" and then trying to get the angle right is crazy.  Any tips on how to translate what this site is spitting out?

 

Thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SirShavesALot said:

So I went to the site and I put in my coordinates.  It shows where I am in relation to the Galactic Hub (I'm reallllllly far away), but I can't figure out what it means when it says "Go 1 up" and then trying to get the angle right is crazy.  Any tips on how to translate what this site is spitting out?

 

Thanks.

I can't say much if I'm honest but there's definitely an emphasis on understanding how coordinates for star systems work for NMS and that web-app you're using. I think it would help you greatly if you dropped a transmitter real quick to write down the alphanumeric string - your coordinates - and look at each of the star systems' coordinates in the galaxy map.

 

Hopefully that helps. If not, apologies!

Edited by GarryKE
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've got to the exact same planet as a friend where he has his base set up, same location, everything, and it just isn't showing me anything other than the default base, like his isn't there even though it registers that he found the system. What the hell am I supposed to do now!? 173 jumps to get there, ugh.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Botchweed said:

So I've got to the exact same planet as a friend where he has his base set up, same location, everything, and it just isn't showing me anything other than the default base, like his isn't there even though it registers that he found the system. What the hell am I supposed to do now!? 173 jumps to get there, ugh.

Has your friend turned on base sharing in the options? And out of curiosity, is this planet in Hilbert? I'm also stuck on this trophy. I've been searching for a base for hours.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elite: Dangerous, a game much like this one, has an issue with "instances". Which means you can be in the same planetary system as your friend, but until you're on the same wing, you won't necessarily see them because you're not in the same "instance". Whether "instance" means server or what, I don't know. It's a problem that comes up frequently in Elite: Dangerous, because there's a group of role players called the Fuel Rats that make it their mission to rescue other gamers (getting stranded in space because you ran out of fuel is a legitimate concern in Elite: Dangerous); and a rescuer not being able to find a client in the system their in because the two of them aren't in the same "instance" is a frequent thing. Involves a bunch of dipshittery like exiting to the menu or restting the game to fix. Makes me wonder if No Man's Sky is the same deal.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/03/2017 at 4:18 PM, GarryKE said:

Has your friend turned on base sharing in the options? And out of curiosity, is this planet in Hilbert? I'm also stuck on this trophy. I've been searching for a base for hours.

 

We've both got base sharing on, and we're not near Hilbert, we're out on the left side of the galaxy. I've tried everything I can think of, warping away, warping back, being in the same system, not being there, going to other nearby systems, just doesn't seem to sync someone else's base. I've sent a support request to Hello Games, but don't imagine anything coming of it, really annoying.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Botchweed said:

 

We've both got base sharing on, and we're not near Hilbert, we're out on the left side of the galaxy. I've tried everything I can think of, warping away, warping back, being in the same system, not being there, going to other nearby systems, just doesn't seem to sync someone else's base. I've sent a support request to Hello Games, but don't imagine anything coming of it, really annoying.

The only other thing I can think of is if you're both in different modes (normal, survival or permadeath). If the planets work differently in those modes, maybe bases do too. Other than that, hopefully your support request will sort it out for you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately we're both in Normal mode, so we're basically totally out of ideas on what isn't working :S

 

Appreciate the suggestions though, lets hope Hello Games actually get back to me, but I doubt it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck. Let us know what Hello Games say! It may help others :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally made my way to the Galactic Hub and even landed on Lennon.  How do you find another player's base?  Will it show if you do a space scan or do you have to land on the planet and search for it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SirShavesALot said:

I finally made my way to the Galactic Hub and even landed on Lennon.  How do you find another player's base?  Will it show if you do a space scan or do you have to land on the planet and search for it?

Probably best to land on the planet, make a signal booster (I think that's it) and search for bases.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It tells you on the info window in the galaxy map. It will say "Base Detected".

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to let everyone know, the game is having some major server issues right now.  Not sure if they have been resolved yet, but a lot of bases aren't showing up as the servers haven't caught up yet.  A lot of bases that should be there are simply missing from the servers right now.  There have been multiple reports of this on Reddit and users visited places where there used to be bases and it was gone despite the creator never moving it.  There are still a few that show up, one that I found last night, and it's not even the most up-to-date version of the guy's base.  Until they get the servers up to speed this is going to be even more difficult than it has to.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.