PSN Rarity

Sly Ripper

14 hours ago, Kiyan-13 said:

Anyway, short version for people who don't like reading:

1) Keep the current rarity calculating method.

2) Exclude games that get released with "DLC's" inside the game.

3) Don't forget to read....

Try to include what you mean in the first line, instead of the last. I guess this is what you wanted to focus on:

20 hours ago, Kiyan-13 said:

If the DLC is inside the game(phisical & digital) and there is no way to get the game without the DLC they should have the same number of owners.

There was a debate that free DLC should be counted with game owners number, but it was scrapped. They probably thought it will punish people who doesn't like returning back to a game.

According to one to your examples, The Last of Us grounded difficulty game completion rarity should be lower than Survivor difficulty (I agree, it's obvious). But what if this DLC wouldn't be free (like on PS3 I suppose)? It's still not fair.

Idea of geomethric mean was introduced to prevent easy trophies from being absurdly rare, but it also makes some very hard DLC trophies too common in comparison to main list. Every option hurts one of the sides.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

The only way for DLC stats to be accurate would be for a flag to be present on our profiles for each DLC, if DLC is installed the flag is applied. If the flag is applied then those stats will be included in rarity. It's the way it works for base game trophies, anyone that has installed the game but not earned a trophy are still included in rarity stats.

As this cannot be determined we have to do a best fit, geometric isn't perfect and will cause discrepancies in many instances but it's certainly better than both previous methods of:

1) If the game is installed then DLC is automatically included as well, leading to a lot of DLC ultra rare trophies because only a fraction of gamers purchase DLC content

2) Once a trophy is earned in DLC content then those stats are included, this led to more common trophies appearing and in a lot of instances 100% common trophies.

This discussion has been done to death, if Sony implement the above then I'm sure stats will be changed again.

EDIT: The point raised about DLC's already included with base games was discussed by Yuri a couple of years ago or more, I would assume that for the handful of games it affects it was decided it wasn't worth the trouble of calculating it differently?

Edited by FawltyPowers

1) DLC = Downloadable Content

2) None of those "DLC's" are actual DLC's.

The Last of Us Remastered comes with everything inside, same for Arkham City(PS4), same for Witcher 3 GOTY/Complete(which have thier own trophy lists) and for other games. Those "DLC's" aren't opinional, you don't choose to buy or download them because they are already in. I'm not talking about games that get released with DLC's inside afterwards, meaning having two versions for the same trophy list like Horizon Zero Dawn(Standard & Complete), I'm talking about games where the version with DLC's inside is the only versions available. Don't understand why we count them as downloadable content(DLC) when clearly they are not. 

Anyway, just wanted to share my meaningless(as it seems) opinion because before I start playing games I like to check their trophy lists and trophy rarities. That's how I got misleaded thinking that DLC trophies for Robin and Nightwing on Arkham City aren't hard because more than 15% of people got them. 

• 1 year later...

Hello? Could u plz explain about this rarity trophy option? I finished Mortal Shell DLC, all trophies are ultra rare, but it shows only 15 trophies ultra rare in my profile, and only 3 from Mortal Shell. Why it shows games I played several years ago not fresh I dont understand.

Rarity is base on the % of those have completed the trophy vr how many own/played it.

Under 5% is ultra rare

5-10% is very rare

10-20% is rare

20-50% is uncommon

50%+ is common

Exp if 10 people own it. But only 2 have the trophy then it 20% rarity. 

Its the same at if 200 people own it. And 20 have it. 

The rarest trophy cabinet only show the 5 lowest rarity. So if your going for lower rarity then your going to have to games that lots of people have played but failed to get the trophies in. Which are either long, grindy, hard or RNG based 

Exp of this would be badland. It was given out free for psv ps3 and ps4. So many of the trophies are insanely hard/grindy and on top needed co op perfection. But anyone can get thought the main game just trying. ? Leading to many trying it out and up'in the owners count.? But most to the trophies are under 1% do to difficulty 

Edited by Zid960