Am I missing something?

birdiebeard

I got this game when it was on sale for like 5 bucks and was pumped to play it. I have heard nothing but great things and I loved Persona 4 (my only other Atlus game) so I couldn't wait to try it out. 

This ended up being my most hated game of all time. Not trying to diss anyone who likes or even loves this game, but it did nothing for me. In fact it did worse than nothing it just made me angry. Disclaimer: I am not opposed to difficult games, I am pretty good at puzzle-type games, and I rarely give up on a game that is widely believe to have merit. I couldn't stand the characters in this game, I thought the story was outlandish (I respect that it was different), the gameplay was so frustrating, and the bosses were overly disturbing for me. 

I found that the character was constantly rotating around blocks the wrong way when climbing and this made boss levels so frustrating. I finally just turned down the difficulty and was still getting hammered. Again, I usually love a challenge and will stick with it for the satisfaction of finally getting it, but this challenge just became outrageous for me for multiple issues. That and I feel like the gameplay mechanics/puzzle idea were not enough to keep me going. 

My hats off to anyone that really enjoyed this game and huge bigups to anyone able to get the platinum (probably couldn't pay me enough to attempt that). So I just want to know, did I miss something? Curious to know if this game had a similar affect on anyone else that was excited to play it. Or, if you really liked it, what was it about the game that you liked? 

• Like 1

I have major props for that platinum. How hard was getting all the golds on hard difficulty? I just can't imagine...

Question, did you have a similar problem rotating around blocks where he would go the opposite direction? 

I like the idea and originality of the game, but man it just didn't hit home with me. I am glad I tried it I like being fairly well versed in a variety of games. Maybe my opinion was based on the fact that I have heard this game praised for years so the bar was really high for me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, birdiebeard said:

Question, did you have a similar problem rotating around blocks where he would go the opposite direction? 

That was a camera. By default, you don't have inverted camera, you need to set that.

And there was the fact that going to the back side of the puzzle made the camera reverted completely xD 

As for the original point. Nope, you didn't actually miss anything. It's like Dark Souls, it's meant to unleash your inner masochist =D

Though, I would argue that the story was pretty well done. And I say that despite the story being very close to reality =D (And I hate anything related to real world :awesome:)

All in all, you only lost 5 bucks, it's not that bad. But you may eventually come back to it and enjoy it. You never know :)

• Like 3

I loved the story and gameplay of Catherine but I have to admit the platinum was really frustrating mainly because of Babel mode. If you check out my profile you will notice the time for completing the game was more than 3 years and that's because I almost gave up on this mode. If you think the main game is frustrating wait until you try the random generated levels of babel. It is that hard that you will need to use 2 controllers by yourself to make it easier. As confusing and uncorfortable using 2 controllers by yourself it may sound it ends up being easier than attempting the game solo by far.

• Like 2

This isn't a game I would personally play myself, but I did watch a full playthrough on YouTube and greatly enjoyed the story. Troy Baker's characterization of the main character was superb and the love triangle was very well done in my opinion. I would fully support an actual anime adaptation of this game.

Edited by Nishikino Maki
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, birdiebeard said:

I have major props for that platinum. How hard was getting all the golds on hard difficulty? I just can't imagine...

I like the idea and originality of the game, but man it just didn't hit home with me. I am glad I tried it I like being fairly well versed in a variety of games. Maybe my opinion was based on the fact that I have heard this game praised for years so the bar was really high for me. 

The only reason i was able to plat Catherine was thanks to a friend who also loved the game and stick with me for 2 weeks to help me beat the Babel stages , the later 2 are nearly impossible to beat alone , i believe no one has reached the ending alone on that stages , at least by the time i have played , we where getting so good at the game that we manage to be in top 25  and top 30 worldwide in 2 Babel stages by most fattest time . I didn't had problems after a few hours rotating and push/pull the blocks the way i wantee , it was nautral to me after awhile plaiyng , i played like more than 60 hours  .

The golds on hard were actually no as hard as i woukd believe to be . Only 2 story stages i found difficult but with a bit of tries and perseverence, i manage to get gold on them .

I played with no many high hopes , only wanted something different and creative and the game did deliver that experience and really more than what i was expecting at first .

• Like 1

Even the code input very easy difficult is pretty brutal, it's not balanced very well difficulty-wise. The story and music are pretty good though

@Sigma999

People have done it solo by themselves, one of my friends did @Qu1ck57r1k3 is one of the ones I know that did it solo controlling both characters. There's was an SGDQ run last year where a guy did babel mode with both controllers solo

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Even the code input very easy difficult is pretty brutal, it's not balanced very well difficulty-wise. The story and music are pretty good though

@Sigma999

People have done it solo by themselves, one of my friends did @Qu1ck57r1k3 is one of the ones I know that did it solo controlling both characters. There's was an SGDQ run last year where a guy did babel mode with both controllers solo

I know that people done the babel stages alone with 2 controllers but i was refering to the solo mode with only 1 controller .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Actually...

To make it possible.

Axis Mundi is, due to a bug, impossible to do solo.

You are right. To make Axis Mundi possible and the rest of the babel stages easier, specially Obelisk if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16.03.2017 at 7:57 PM, Sigma999 said:

The only reason i was able to plat Catherine was thanks to a friend who also loved the game and stick with me for 2 weeks to help me beat the Babel stages , the later 2 are nearly impossible to beat alone , i believe no one has reached the ending alone on that stages , at least by the time i have played , we where getting so good at the game that we manage to be in top 25  and top 30 worldwide in 2 Babel stages by most fattest time .

I made all babel stages with 2 controllers on my own, 3rd babel tower is doable (google EricVanWilderman) but Axis Mundi can not be beaten solo - it's glitched. Blocks are falling faster then new are coming to you.

It's not impossible to do Axis Mundi solo, but it's close enough to it, due to aforementioned bug in the US version.

There was a video of a guy who did it solo though...

Edited by Griffon234
Found it
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2017 at 1:33 PM, birdiebeard said:

I got this game when it was on sale for like 5 bucks and was pumped to play it. I have heard nothing but great things and I loved Persona 4 (my only other Atlus game) so I couldn't wait to try it out. 

This ended up being my most hated game of all time. Not trying to diss anyone who likes or even loves this game, but it did nothing for me. In fact it did worse than nothing it just made me angry. Disclaimer: I am not opposed to difficult games, I am pretty good at puzzle-type games, and I rarely give up on a game that is widely believe to have merit. I couldn't stand the characters in this game, I thought the story was outlandish (I respect that it was different), the gameplay was so frustrating, and the bosses were overly disturbing for me. 

I found that the character was constantly rotating around blocks the wrong way when climbing and this made boss levels so frustrating. I finally just turned down the difficulty and was still getting hammered. Again, I usually love a challenge and will stick with it for the satisfaction of finally getting it, but this challenge just became outrageous for me for multiple issues. That and I feel like the gameplay mechanics/puzzle idea were not enough to keep me going. 

My hats off to anyone that really enjoyed this game and huge bigups to anyone able to get the platinum (probably couldn't pay me enough to attempt that). So I just want to know, did I miss something? Curious to know if this game had a similar affect on anyone else that was excited to play it. Or, if you really liked it, what was it about the game that you liked? 

It's understandable. I platted it myself, but the kudos seemed overwrought. It's a fun little puzzle game with a neat story, but I share your frustration with going up the wrong side of a block or some other nonsense. And don't even get me started on the 4 optional levels (one of which seemed absolutely impossible without recruiting my wife, who's better at puzzle games than I am).

I liked it more than you, but not nearly as much as most.

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2017 at 11:33 AM, birdiebeard said:

I've many friends who share your opinion of this game and that's perfectly normal/fine.  For me, Catherine is one of my greatest gaming experiences in 35+ years of gaming.  The story interested me and got me hooked due to its comedy, adult nature and other relatable content (putting aside some of the fantasy element aspects of course).  The gameplay, despite its flaws (camera and controls) I got used to the game and it grew on me to the point where I was platinum bound (took me 5 months).  Completed Axis Mundi solo with 2 controllers, I attempted single player mode numerous times but was only able to reach 57 steps.  A down right shame the devs never bothered to fix the NA version of Axis Mundi...oh well, it's still a classic gaming gem to my eyes.  Cheers!

• 1 year later...