Sony to End Shipments of Current PlayStation 3 Console in Japan Soon

Satoshi Ookami

Sony's official product page for its current standard model PlayStation 3 console lists that shipments are ending soon in Japan.

The first PlayStation 3 consoles shipped in 2006. The current slim model launched in Japan in August 2014, replacing a model that launched in 2013

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2017-03-16/sony-to-end-shipments-of-current-playstation-3-console-in-japan-soon/.113529

Sure, slim models are still on, but... this is definitely the first step towards the end of a very important era.

Even more so it's in Japan where PS3 is still relatively strong.

How long do you think PS3 can hold?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Probably a few more years, they sold the PS2 in brazil way after it had been discontinued.

It was only offical being sold from 2009 i believe.  Before that , the PS2 consoles being sold on Brazil were hacked versions made to run pirate games for a penny of the original price .

Edited by Sigma999

Those of you saying 2020, I feel, don't realize it's less than 3 years away.

I don't see the ps3 even being discontinued in NA until then. It's still sells well enough for a light production to be maintained. There are still people with fat ps3s getting ylod, then they go out and buy a super slim. My household still wants to pick one up because there are so many online only co-op games that I have.

Sony would be dummies if they discontinued the ps3 world wide any time soon.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

Figured it would be soon. Also PSN support on PS3 isn't going anywhere for some time, definitely long after PS3 production is halted.

Hell, the PS2 version of Final Fantasy XI just went offline last March.

Then again "Square Enix also revealed that the developer will stop supporting the PlayStation 3 version of the game with the release of the next expanssion" which is in June this year. I think the architecture of the PS3 is troublesome for the develpoers so they want to get rid of it. I guess it will live some time more though.

50 minutes ago, Morfea said:

Then again "Square Enix also revealed that the developer will stop supporting the PlayStation 3 version of the game with the release of the next expanssion" which is in June this year. I think the architecture of the PS3 is troublesome for the develpoers so they want to get rid of it. I guess it will live some time more though.

That's for FFXIV but it's still a fair point, PS3 is being dropped also because FF14 is getting higher standard graphical requirements. Again, it's a good example you threw out there. 

I'm not saying every game is going to still be supported once PS3 production is finished, but it's not like every developer is just going to flip the switch off all at once. It'll be years before PS3 servers shut down.

2 hours ago, Leo Leopold Leon III said:

I'd say 2-3 more years and we can expect Sony to cut of online support

There's no such thing as PS3 servers, it's a false myth. PSN is shared between all systems that support PSN. PS2 was shut down because it wasn't PSN and those were different times, like the Xbox Live for the very first Xbox.

There are just too many things, too much content...

Edited by T87
  • Like 2

It had a good run. The way things are going, I'd be surprised if the PS4 lasted as long. If Sony want to start phasing out the PS3, they need to get their ass in gear regarding things like PS1 classics. There's no reason why they can't bring those over to PS4. Also, a better way of playing PS3 games would be nice. PS Now just doesn't cut it.

My fat PS3 had to have the power switch at the back turned off the other day when it didn't show anything on the screen after I tried to quit Spider-Man 2 PS2. Honestly would rather just pay to get it fixed if it died, than buy a new PS3. Australia has kind of gone through the phase of throwing PS3 units out for cheap, Target cleared the 500gb models for a hundred a couple years back now, only EB and JB are left selling them now and they still want a few hundred for them, so fuck that dude.

Anyway, with 80 odd million of them out there, much like with the PS2, there's really no hope of never being able to get a hold of one again, and with such a high number out there, we don't have to worry about paying 10,000 for a PS3 any time soon. Vita on the other hand, being a lot more rarer, goes for about 250 preowned most of the time here, which is shit, because for 199 I got my OG Vita brand new in Feb 2013.

Sony still makes a shitload of (almost complete profit) cash money off digital PS3 titles and DLC. They aren't dumb enough to do anything as ignorant as completely cutting off the PS3 for many years to come as has been suggested.

I also know that the cell processor hasn't been shrunk down (or even heavily produced) any more since the super slim was released, but it would be awesome to see Sony put out one more mini PS3 with a form factor similar to the final PS2 model.

Anyway, PS3 still isn't going anywhere for a while. However this is a great time to take advantage of morons and low-ball them on offers for games or backup consoles. Tell them it's about to be obsolete and you can do them a huge favor to take it off their hands now before it's worthless. 

• Like 1

I hope PS3 can continue on for many years to come. It's still my favourite console and I rarely play on anything else. Disconnecting PSN would be a hard to thing to accept for me as there's so many good games to play online that people still play. I've still got tons of games and franchises to try out on PS3 and I've had it since 2007.  

• Like 2

I give the online support of the PS3 until at the very minimum 2025 and it'll probably extend after that.  Reason I say this is it isn't very fair if they're still selling PS3s until, say, 2020 for them to cut the online support only a year or two after that.  They would essentially be selling a bill of goods that they're not delivering on.  From what I understand, they still have the PS2 servers up.  Like virtually everything else in the world, this is all conjecture anyway.  With that in mind, I'll take a stab and say they'll continue making and selling PS3s until about 2020, maybe 2021, and they'll keep the PS3 servers up until at the very least 2025.  Whenever the day comes that Sony decides to end online support of the PS3, I imagine they would give at least a few months notice anyway.