Satoshi Ookami

Sony to End Shipments of Current PlayStation 3 Console in Japan Soon

86 posts in this topic

On 16/03/2017 at 10:18 PM, Chunchunmaru said:

rest in peace sweet prince, you did good.

 

 


I never saw that :o its so amazing!! Why they dont anything like this in this days ?? Will be 100% sucess

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Playstation 5 will be able to play PS3, PS4, and PS6 games, no worrries guys!:yay:

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Playstation 3 would be completely screwed if the Playstation 4 was backwards compatible. I still think that was a bad decision to NOT have backwards compatibility, but I now see it was probably a way for Sony to generate more money.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Playstation 5 will be able to play PS3, PS4, and PS6 games, no worrries guys!:yay:

 

How can a PS5 play.. PS6 games...:facepalm:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The Playstation 3 would be completely screwed if the Playstation 4 was backwards compatible. I still think that was a bad decision to NOT have backwards compatibility, but I now see it was probably a way for Sony to generate more money.

 

 

If they had made it backwards compatible, it would have likely cost well over 600 dollars and they didn't want another bunked up launch like the ps3 due to the high price point

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't know if it's ever gonna happen but i started to worry that they'll going to cut online support for the ps3 at the upcoming years, meaning the only way to enter the store is from a ps4, if they wanna do this then I hope I can still buy ps3 games and play them on ps4, with the really crappy internet connection i got, i have 0 interest on PS Now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrible terrible news.But you can't avoid the inevitable...like some said this is a sign of something much worse to come.Well I only hope Sony still keep the online support for the PS3 for way past 2020,still got A LOT of games to play on it.I just hope that they make a way for us to access our digital content of PS3 from the PS4 like download and transfer to PS3 when they shut down PS3.

 

PS:PS3 still the best.

Edited by Welmosca
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put it this way if PS3 is still profitable through digital software sales they will keep it running to a point where there is a constant decline with no signs of slowing down. So if you are buying titles that are either on sale, or normally for whatever reason it is very likely that Sony will continue support past even 2020 but if not then likely sooner. 

 

Or they cut store and online support and still retain the ability to sync your trophies from games via digital or physical distribution which would not be eating away that much if at all to matter to Sonys servers. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Playstation 5 will be able to play PS3, PS4, and PS6 games, no worrries guys!:yay:

Heh, we can only dream. But it would be an awesome feat. though! :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Playstation 5 will be able to play PS3, PS4, and PS6 games, no worrries guys!:yay:

Well, obviously.

Everyone expects PS3 and PS4 remasters for PS5 =D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, obviously.

Everyone expects PS3 and PS4 remasters for PS5 =D

 

I honestly don't think there will be as many remasters for PS5 as there were for PS4. I think a big reason why that's happening so much on PS4 is due to the lack of backwards compatibility. Now that these consoles use x86 architecture, I would assume that backwards compatibility for the PS5 will be a lot more straightforward than it was for previous generations, meaning it's almost a given that it will be a thing on the PS5. With Microsoft pushing it so much as well, I feel like it almost forces Sony's hand. I'm sure there will be remasters of course, but I expect it will be fewer than there are now, especially if you're able to purchase the PS4 version on the store of the PS5.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Undead Wolf said:

 

I honestly don't think there will be as many remasters for PS5 as there were for PS4. I think a big reason why that's happening so much on PS4 is due to the lack of backwards compatibility. Now that these consoles use x86 architecture, I would assume that backwards compatibility for the PS5 will be a lot more straightforward than it was for previous generations, meaning it's almost a given that it will be a thing on the PS5. With Microsoft pushing it so much as well, I feel like it almost forces Sony's hand. I'm sure there will be remasters of course, but I expect it will be fewer than there are now, especially if you're able to purchase the PS4 version on the store of the PS5.

Naive!

No remasters means less money! 

If they allow backwards compatibility, they will be...

1) forced to make new games! (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! IMPASSIBURU!)

2) forced to sell games for measly PS4 prices!

3) forced to actually implement BC

 

How can you want this from poor companies?! :awesome:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Satoshi Ookami said:

Naive!

No remasters means less money! 

If they allow backwards compatibility, they will be...

1) forced to make new games! (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! IMPASSIBURU!)

2) forced to sell games for measly PS4 prices!

3) forced to actually implement BC

 

How can you want this from poor companies?! :awesome:

 

I'm sure Sony would love to keep backwards compatibility out of the PS5 to push remasters and PS Now since that gets them more money, but like I said, I think Microsoft pretty much forces their hand on the matter. I mean it's not so much of a deal this generation since backwards compat was added later on Xbone, but I don't think Sony can afford to do that again with the PS5 if it's there on day one like Microsoft seem to be pushing. Backwards compatibility is most important during the early days of a console generation after all, and it would be a huge advantage for Microsoft. It would make Sony look bad.

 

As for how it's handled, I'm sure it'll be up to the developers if their games get put on there much like how it is on Xbone. If a dev/pubisher plans on releasing a remaster, they might not allow it. If the option is there, though, some devs might just "flip the switch" and make it available on the console instead of resorting to a remaster. I guess it just depends on how scummy the dev/publisher wants to be about it. :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'm sure Sony would love to keep backwards compatibility out of the PS5 to push remasters and PS Now since that gets them more money, but like I said, I think Microsoft pretty much forces their hand on the matter. I mean it's not so much of a deal this generation since backwards compat was added later on Xbone, but I don't think Sony can afford to do that again with the PS5 if it's there on day one like Microsoft seem to be pushing. Backwards compatibility is most important during the early days of a console generation after all, and it would be a huge advantage for Microsoft. It would make Sony look bad.

Well, this is it. MS does it because they have to. To have at least something Sony can't offer and to bring customers to their product. (And because Xbone has even more no games than PS4 :awesome: )

Sony unfortunately feels no such pressure. PS4s for some weird reason sells like mad which makes Sony overconfident.

 

Unless they are pressed for it, like they were in PS3 era, there is no need to improve anything =D 

And frankly, it will be an odd PS, time for Sony to lose again so... maybe eventually, but defiantely (:awesome:) definitely not on launch.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, this is it. MS does it because they have to. To have at least something Sony can't offer and to bring customers to their product. (And because Xbone has even more no games than PS4 :awesome: )

Sony unfortunately feels no such pressure. PS4s for some weird reason sells like mad which makes Sony overconfident.

 

Unless they are pressed for it, like they were in PS3 era, there is no need to improve anything =D 

And frankly, it will be an odd PS, time for Sony to lose again so... maybe eventually, but defiantely (:awesome:) definitely not on launch.

 

We all know what Sony's overconfidence got them at the start of the PS3 generation, though. The Xbox 360 ended up destroying them in sales for years. I'd like to think they've learnt their lesson about that because the tides can turn at any time. If Microsoft have a more appealing box than Sony, people will buy it instead. The Xbone isn't a more appealing console, but that could change with its successor if Sony let it.

 

12 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

but defiantely (:awesome:) definitely not on launch.

 

Oh you... :awesome:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

they've learnt their lesson

You are talking about company that always screwed up something with big PS4 updates :awesome:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, As far as I can see it look how long the PSP went with online services and it was only dropped due to it being I guess the 1st era of PSN without trophies and the like, that said you can still buy digital PSP games and load them onto the PSP so to some extent Sony still support that console.

 

With the PS3 being far more up to date with the services (Trophies, Messages, friend lists ect ect) I cant see them ever shutting it down for access to PSN itself, Syncing trophies and downloading games.

 

As for playing online... well that is half way dead already and I have found unless I pre arrange its hard to find a game, it would be missed but in my personal experience its not far off that.

 

I already have 3 PS3's around a Fat which my girlfriend still plays on via my account and loves (Just today she finished LBP2) A Super Slim I use personally for my Twitch cast (going through Persona 3: FES right now on it) and normal offline play and I have a slim I was given that was faulty with a bad bluray laser which I will repair at some point down the road so I have a backup unit in full working order!

 

I love my PS3 though and own 100+ Boxed games alone and I will be playing it for years to come and the same goes for my PSVita and PSTV (for casts again) all this while just recently getting a PS4.

Sony has never really let me down in ensuring I can play my digital games yet like I mentioned with the PSP so I cant see that changing and trophy syncing / friends and messages are just a simple to maintain item :D

TL;DR version: Look at the PSP, You can still download games to your handheld even now via a new method, I doubt Sony would lock us out of our Digital games and basic PSN stuff such as Trophies and the like are not too far off that so I wouldn't worry too hard

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'd like to think they've learnt their lesson

 

Oh, you naif! Japanese companies never learn their lessons.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Naive!

No remasters means less money! 

If they allow backwards compatibility, they will be...

1) forced to make new games! (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! IMPASSIBURU!)

2) forced to sell games for measly PS4 prices!

3) forced to actually implement BC

 

How can you want this from poor companies?! :awesome:

 

You have this wrong because of something I think you're just discounting.

 

A remaster costs money and time to produce. By the time PS5 is out, with what they're learning from PS4 Pro, they can sort of upscale to whatever the hardware on the PS5 can handle.

 

Here's the big flaw in your argument: "Measly PS4 prices" will be 99% profit margin at that point. All R&D and marketing materials will have been paid back. There are no more costs to recoup or account for. Even if they're still selling for $19.99-$29.99 (Hopefully PS5 prices finally start reflecting some sort of inflation) that's nearly ALL money right in their pocket. It would be completely stupid and asinine to not emulate PS4 if the PS5 is also X86 based. 15-20% profit margin for PS5 remasters at $19.99-$29.99 looks pretty dumb in that light, huh?

 

No remasters means MORE money!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

 

You have this wrong because of something I think you're just discounting.

 

A remaster costs money and time to produce. By the time PS5 is out, with what they're learning from PS4 Pro, they can sort of upscale to whatever the hardware on the PS5 can handle.

 

Here's the big flaw in your argument: "Measly PS4 prices" will be 99% profit margin at that point. All R&D and marketing materials will have been paid back. There are no more costs to recoup or account for. Even if they're still selling for $19.99-$29.99 (Hopefully PS5 prices finally start reflecting some sort of inflation) that's nearly ALL money right in their pocket. It would be completely stupid and asinine to not emulate PS4 if the PS5 is also X86 based. 15-20% profit margin for PS5 remasters at $19.99-$29.99 looks pretty dumb in that light, huh?

 

No remasters means MORE money!

I'm pretty sure we were talking about remasters == new games, not PS2 ports =D

Therefore, measly 60-70$ games.

While on PS5 era, they can sell these remasters for 80-90$! (Who doesn't believe these would be starting prices for PS5 games?)

That's a whooping 20 bucks difference on each new title! :awesome: And providing they can pay the same as on PS4 base, they will be able to earn more and including marketing costs!

You also have to consider customers that would be like 'meh, PS4 game? Where is muh uber graphiczzzz from PS5 gamezzz?!'

Edited by Satoshi Ookami
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a lot of love for the Playstation 3 console. I will probably buy a super slim version sometime in the next year or two just to ensure that I have a unit to play on for my PS3 games. I still have the Slim edition (for about 7 years now) alive and kicking :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

I'm pretty sure we were talking about remasters == new games, not PS2 ports =D

Therefore, measly 60-70$ games.

While on PS5 era, they can sell these remasters for 80-90$! (Who doesn't believe these would be starting prices for PS5 games?)

That's a whooping 20 bucks difference on each new title! :awesome: And providing they can pay the same as on PS4 base, they will be able to earn more and including marketing costs!

You also have to consider customers that would be like 'meh, PS4 game? Where is muh uber graphiczzzz from PS5 gamezzz?!'

 

$29.99 at 99% profit margin = $29.69 profit (profit is what is important, not net income)

$79.99 at 20% profit margin = $16.00 profit (waste of time considering ^)

$89.99 at 20% profit margin = $18.00 profit ($2.00 more profit, whoo hooo! Still 40% less profit than the $29.99 game)

 

The math in no way works out for what you are proposing. Those piddly customers that worry about PS5 gamezzzz are the extreme minority and should be ignored. When PS5 launches with 14 titles, and 12 have graphics no different than todays, the option to tap the PS4 library and have the PS5 upscale graphics, like I already said, will be extremely compelling.

 

Let's be honest, BC is most useful for new system launches because there are few new titles to pick from. Later on, the number of people who want to consolidate consoles become the extreme minority again and can be ignored (but don't need to be if BC is built in and supported from the start). The number of titles moved at $29.99 versus $80 or $90 will more than make up for the lack of a new PS5 title. Hell, if BC is done right, Sony can release PS5 DLC on PS4 titles to get them moving again. The possibilities are endless and not confined to old world thinking. OR better yet, Sony just create a new package that looks like PS5 packaging and stick the PS4 title in there, it'll cost them a whole .80 cents of their profit to do that!

 

I should probably print this out and post this on the wall. I may give Nostradamus a run for his money.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I should probably print this out and post this on the wall. I may give Nostradamus a run for his money.

Do it! :D

 

We will have to see. These are persuading numbers but are we sure profits work exactly like this? 

If you have a remaster and you already invested into marketing of previous game, would you be required to put the same resources as previously?

Unless Sony is limited to 20% profit of new release regardless of type?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017. 03. 17. at 3:05 PM, DarkSoleride said:

So long as trophy synching is still supported for my PS3 I could not care less if they discontinue the PlayStation Store and PlayStation 3 new releases, there will always be retailers selling old games, last thing I want is a bunch of unfinished games which I am still planning to go back to have my chances screwed of unlocking the Platinum Trophy...

 

I feel the same way, but dont forget about being able to download patches. :D

A lot of games had buggy trophies which was patched later, so you are screwed if you have to play the 1.0 version from the disk...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gabor434 said:

 

I feel the same way, but dont forget about being able to download patches. :D

A lot of games had buggy trophies which was patched later, so you are screwed if you have to play the 1.0 version from the disk...

This is true but putting up with buggy games getting trophies vs a paper weight with no trophy sync support I will take the buggy trophies any day haha 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.