Dragon Quest Builders Challenges

From my own experience (on PS4), you can complete challenges across multiple playthroughs. I beat all of the non-timed challenges on my first playthrough of each chapter, then went back and completed each of the timed challenges on a different save. The previously completed challenges will be retained.

Edited by thesheets
  • Like 1

There's a system file save that updates every time you make a save. So long as you don't delete that file, you'll retain your completed challenges along with room recipes among other things. If you completed a chapter within the time limit, you can continue to use that save to finish the rest. If you didn't make it, completing the rest and then finishing a new game under the time limit will also work.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, I just want to be sure about the challenges. I'm currently on Chapter 1, doing all of the challenges except the timed one. I wanted to be sure that I could do the timed challenge on a second run. Also, I'm confused on doing the time challenge. Is there a way to skip most of the quests, and do the main ones? Or would I have to re-do the other challenges I've done before as well as the time challenge?

I'm just overall confused on how fast to do everything when I'm going as fast as I can in my current run and have read people completing it on their first run without trying.

27 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Hi, I just want to be sure about the challenges. I'm currently on Chapter 1, doing all of the challenges except the timed one. I wanted to be sure that I could do the timed challenge on a second run. Also, I'm confused on doing the time challenge. Is there a way to skip most of the quests, and do the main ones? Or would I have to re-do the other challenges I've done before as well as the time challenge?

I'm just overall confused on how fast to do everything when I'm going as fast as I can in my current run and have read people completing it on their first run without trying.

Yes, you can indeed complete the timed challenges on a second run. All of the challenges you completed on your first run will stay completed, so you can focus solely on getting through it as fast as you can the next time you go through it. I did this myself for Chapter 1 earlier today so I can confirm. I could be wrong about the quests, but I feel like you have to complete ALL of the ones given to you by the village NPC's in order to progress. The only ones that don't seem to be mandatory are the "hidden" quests.

I wouldn't worry too much about completing the time challenges on your first playthrough. Chapter 1 is supposedly quite easy to speedrun right off the bat so long as you take advantage of that section near the beginning where time doesn't progress, but it's not a big deal if you don't. I'm at the point now where I'm confident enough to go for all of the challenges right away. I just about pulled it off for Chapter 3, but it was really tight (and super stressful!). You can make it much easier on yourself by doing a separate run for the timed challenges, but I just want to get the game over and done with as quickly as I can now. :P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Yes, you can indeed complete the timed challenges on a second run. All of the challenges you completed on your first run will stay completed, so you can focus solely on getting through it as fast as you can the next time you go through it. I did this myself for Chapter 1 earlier today so I can confirm. I could be wrong about the quests, but I feel like you have to complete ALL of the ones given to you by the village NPC's in order to progress. The only ones that don't seem to be mandatory are the "hidden" quests.

I wouldn't worry too much about completing the time challenges on your first playthrough. Chapter 1 is supposedly quite easy to speedrun right off the bat so long as you take advantage of that section near the beginning where time doesn't progress, but it's not a big deal if you don't. I'm at the point now where I'm confident enough to go for all of the challenges right away. I just about pulled it off for Chapter 3, but it was really tight (and super stressful!). You can make it much easier on yourself by doing a separate run for the timed challenges, but I just want to get the game over and done with as quickly as I can now. :P

Thanks for the info! It makes it slightly less stressful. I wish I didn't have to do all of the NPC quests though. 

• Like 1