This was depressing

untuvakana

I've seen more depressing pieces of media, but really it was not a walk on the park. My experience was easier than some because 

Spoiler

i didn't like anyone on the city, so "sacrificing the bay to stay with my bae" as one of the easier decisions in my life. 

but it's this game has much more mature themes with a realist approach for a game than normal. 

• Like 2

I didn't find the game as impactful(ly) depressing as I thought it would be. Sure, the story is nice, but it wasn't that depressing as I thought it will. For me, it felt more like two teenagers going through an experience together (rather a rare one) but that's how I felt. I've seen more depressing animes than this.

• Like 4

It was very depressing in episode 4 during some certain scenes which I do not want to spoiler, after that, especially in episode 5, things went a bit downhill though I give them credit that they really made some good playing on the stereotypes in the end.

Not as depressing as the first season of The Walking Dead.

• Like 2

I'm glad this was able to evoke such strong emotional reactions in people, that's not an easy thing for a game to do. I was very impressed with the ambitions of this game, and there were some areas where the execution was just as impressive. They nailed the visuals (with the possible exception of lego hair), the central gameplay gimmick complemented the themes very well, and the voice acting was mostly very strong throughout. However, I thought they made enormous concessions in some key areas, especially towards the end of the game, that undermined the game's themes so dramatically that I can't imagine how they were okayed. As a result at the end of the game I felt frustrated more than anything else.

• 1 month later...

I thought the game was okay, afterwards I was kind of annoyed at the people who hyped it up to me and wouldn't give my criticisms fair thought. I played the demo so I already knew before I bought it that it wasn't as excellent as people claimed it would be, and I waited for a good sale. Looking back, I could have waited a bit longer.

Enjoyable, but it did not get the emotional response from me that it was so clearly fishing for. I played Unravel a month later and it was much better in getting that happy-sad thrillride emotional response from me, seemingly without effort.

I'd give a sequel or a new game from the devs definitely a chance, not going to pre-order or pay full price though.

51 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I thought the game was okay, afterwards I was kind of annoyed at the people who hyped it up to me and wouldn't give my criticisms fair thought. I played the demo so I already knew before I bought it that it wasn't as excellent as people claimed it would be, and I waited for a good sale. Looking back, I could have waited a bit longer.

Enjoyable, but it did not get the emotional response from me that it was so clearly fishing for. I played Unravel a month later and it was much better in getting that happy-sad thrillride emotional response from me, seemingly without effort.

I'd give a sequel or a new game from the devs definitely a chance, not going to pre-order or pay full price though.

As an older gamer, and having kids of my own growing up, I found Unravel much harder emotionally. It was subtle, but so much more effective.

LiS was good, but tried too hard to be emotional. I didn't dislike it, but it would have had more impact if it let you develop the emotional response instead of trying to lead (force) you to it.

It also didn't help that so many of the supporting characters were unlikeable, and the awful teen dialogue in the first episode and a bit. Ugh

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

As an older gamer, and having kids of my own growing up, I found Unravel much harder emotionally. It was subtle, but so much more effective.

LiS was good, but tried too hard to be emotional. I didn't dislike it, but it would have had more impact if it let you develop the emotional response instead of trying to lead (force) you to it.

It also didn't help that so many of the supporting characters were unlikeable, and the awful teen dialogue in the first episode and a bit. Ugh

Yeah that dialogue, especially in the first episode, sounded less like a teenage girl and more like a forty year old man pretending to be a teenage girl.

It could very well be that Unravel hit me harder because I'm not a millennial, but for Life Is Strange I'll still put most of the blame on the unnatural dialogue and the forcing of emotions.

It's very annoying when a "your choices matter" game forces choices and people onto you. My first run of Mass Effect, I liked Liara so I didn't notice but on my second run when I went with Tali and I noticed how the games force Liara on you every step of the way. Like Bonnie, from The Walking Dead S2, I hated her yet the game kept forcing her on me. I don't want that colored jacket, damn it, and on the ice staying still was by far the most logical choice! Same for this game, it kept forcing the relation between Max and Chloe as the driving force but I just couldn't see it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah that dialogue, especially in the first episode, sounded less like a teenage girl and more like a forty year old man pretending to be a teenage girl.

It could very well be that Unravel hit me harder because I'm not a millennial, but for Life Is Strange I'll still put most of the blame on the unnatural dialogue and the forcing of emotions.

It's very annoying when a "your choices matter" game forces choices and people onto you. My first run of Mass Effect, I liked Liara so I didn't notice but on my second run when I went with Tali and I noticed how the games force Liara on you every step of the way. Like Bonnie, from The Walking Dead S2, I hated her yet the game kept forcing her on me. I don't want that colored jacket, damn it, and on the ice staying still was by far the most logical choice! Same for this game, it kept forcing the relation between Max and Chloe as the driving force but I just couldn't see it.

Interesting, I definitely agree about Walking Dead S2 (the ice part was annoying as you said, you lose no matter what choice you pick there; I didn't mind Bonnie but she unfairly blamed you for "letting" what's-his-face die there). Hell, the ending of Walking Dead S2 still really pisses me off. 

Spoiler

That choice between the old friend with the anger problem, and the psycho girl going to insane extremes to prove a point, was stupid. I wanted to knock their heads together, or just leave them both. I guess it's a theme of the source material that people under stress make bad decisions, but it just annoyed me in this particular case because of how stupid they were both being. 

For some reason though, I didn't have that problem with Life is Strange, I enjoyed the story and it kept me involved throughout. And I'm most certainly not a Millennial, so the teenagers were pretty weird to me, but I still really liked it. I got emotionally invested in the game and found some of the parts pretty depressing. I never felt like my emotions were being forced. I also played it in small chunks so maybe that helped? I also expected something in the Telltale vein so I got what I expected there, and I would rank LiS with the better Telltale games (mainly WD S1, Wolf Among Us, and Batman, but it didn't measure up to the fun of Tales from the Borderlands). 

Unravel is in my backlog; with these two comments mentioning it having an emotional impact and the fact that it's a puzzle platformer... I need to play that soon! 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

• 1 month later...

Nah, not really. It was just a well written Character-Piece.

If you don't feel anything while all this stuff in the game happens, what would be the apeal then?

And particularly depressive? Lol, have you ever seen Requiem for a Dream?

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I found it somewhat depressing in some key parts of the game.  All in all it was a good game, just not as good as made out to be.  Depressing sure but that's what a millennial emo character focused game is gonna do for ya.  

Apparently I have to check out this Unravel business.

I think it was a great game, but

(MAJOR SPOILERS) 

I'm actually really ticked off that the point of God/The Universe/Whatever you want, of giving Max her powers was pointless. You'd get the ending they clearly considered the true one because they put so much more effort into it, regardless if she had her power or not. So everything she went through didn't matter besides her memories. 

Unlike another game

Unless you go with the other ending. But they didn't invest much resources or time into that one, so it's not really the ending they wanted you to choose. 

So I was more frustrated than depressed. They could have made it bittersweet by her having a choice to get shot by Nathan in that ending to expose everything instead of chloe. That would have saved chloe and the town, and imo gave her powers a reason.

And then season 2 could have been about chloe, and how it was necessary for her to live for some grand reason. 

That's a better ending imo. 

BUT again it is a great game that I still recommend to everyone. 

Steins Gate where it was him creating something rather than just given the power.  

^^^second spoiler tag didn't indent correctly. It's meant to be right after "unlike another game" 

Edited by Dav9834
Spoilers didn't indent correctly
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...