Sonic Forces Gameplay Reveal

Parker

Project Sonic 2017 has now been officially announced as Sonic Forces and the Sonic team has released a short gameplay trailer. 

I'm not entirely sure what to think at the moment. The game looks a little, stiff, for lack of a better word, but I'm definitely interested in seeing more gameplay. 

Parker

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

But the question is, will it go down the Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom path in turning an interesting idea into complete garbage?

Or, will it be more like Sonic Generations in that it would actually be good?

I actually have faith in Sonic Team and Sega lately. Look at Generations and Sonic Mania, they have been listening to fans (what other big developer has hired creators of fan games to help develop their flagship franchise?) and I think that shows with their latest work. They've seen the extremely positive things about Generations and Mania and they'd be stupid not to capitalize on that. 

Parker

I'm highly skeptical of this game so far. The fact they're describing it as a Generations/Colours/??? hybrid worries me, and I'm not happy to see the wisps back.

I really wasn't a fan of Generations. Especially after playing Unleashed, which is far superior imo. Generations level design (for modern day, at least) was basically just holding a button while you watch the level play itself for you.

Unleashed required quick reflexes, had a nice exploration element for replays, and had loads of different paths you can take, and had the perfect level of difficulty where it's challenging but always a ton of fun. Generations just... had none of this, really. Your only incentive to explore are red rings, and even they aren't too hidden. There aren't too many different paths that really save you much time at all, and it was so easy that it was a bore to try and finish.

I really need to see some more of this game before I can board the hype train.

Well, at least it looks decent. Like several other members on this thread, I will reserve my judgement of the game until I can see more of it (videos, pictures, articles, features) of the game in action. Was hoping for another Sonic Adventure/Battle game (I enjoyed Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure/Battle 2), but this one might be good.

Honestly looks cool. The price they drop it for will be the deciding factor for me though. Budget price ala Tony Hawk 5, around 60 or so, I'm down. Full RRP 100, maybe not day one. I mean, it looks cool, I fucking love Sonic, good Sonic anyway, but 100 for it seems a bit more than it will be worth, if the length of the last fair few Sonic games is to be considered, especially when Sonic Mania is coming out alongside it and that one is already gonna be a day one for me on the Switch. The value of that game is still up for debate, regarding how many potential classic levels there are, but at least it's launching for cheap so.

I'll have to wait until I see more gameplay but it definitely looks promising so far. The last Sonic game I played was Sonic Colors which I enjoyed, so I wouldn't be upset if it was more of the same with updated graphics. Just anything other than another Sonic Boom :S.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ratchet said:

Some classic Sonic gameplay. Looks awesome. 

That looks and sounds absolutely horrible.

There seems to be a very low speed cap, especially when not rolling. There are so many times in that short level where Sonic slows down drastically after being forced above that cap, most notably at 1:12 in the video. What's the point in a boost pad if you can't keep any of the speed for more than a second? Just to traverse slight inclines and loops easier? I can't remember if Generations had that problem, but it sucks that it doesn't give you the chance to maintain any momentum beyond Sonic's natural speed.

Springs literally all over the place, even next to platforms which aren't even as high as Sonic's head. It's like Sega thinks people don't know Sonic can actually jump. Maybe it won't be as much of a problem when a better player is going through the level, but it still feels like they overdid it.

The music sounds like it's trying to be Sonic 4, which is a bad thing whichever way you look at it. In fact, I think I can actually hear its first zone in there at some points. I was worried we'd get yet another Green Hill Zone remix because I'm sick of the place at this point, but if this is the alternative I'd much rather have that.

I'm glad a real Sonic game is coming out in a few months, because this video has made me worried for the rest of this one. We haven't even seen the third style of gameplay yet, but if they can't even get Sonic right there's no hope for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadiochao said:

That looks and sounds absolutely horrible.

There seems to be a very low speed cap, especially when not rolling. There are so many times in that short level where Sonic slows down drastically after being forced above that cap, most notably at 1:12 in the video. What's the point in a boost pad if you can't keep any of the speed for more than a second? Just to traverse slight inclines and loops easier? I can't remember if Generations had that problem, but it sucks that it doesn't give you the chance to maintain any momentum beyond Sonic's natural speed.

Springs literally all over the place, even next to platforms which aren't even as high as Sonic's head. It's like Sega thinks people don't know Sonic can actually jump. Maybe it won't be as much of a problem when a better player is going through the level, but it still feels like they overdid it.

The music sounds like it's trying to be Sonic 4, which is a bad thing whichever way you look at it. In fact, I think I can actually hear its first zone in there at some points. I was worried we'd get yet another Green Hill Zone remix because I'm sick of the place at this point, but if this is the alternative I'd much rather have that.

I'm glad a real Sonic game is coming out in a few months, because this video has made me worried for the rest of this one. We haven't even seen the third style of gameplay yet, but if they can't even get Sonic right there's no hope for it.

I get what your talking about with the springs, but I loved generations, and I just want more of that. Seems that this game is going to give me more of that so I'm excited for it. Still going to wait for reviews since I'm generally very cautious when it comes to buying Sonic games. For every good 1 there is about 12 bad ones. So I'm excited but also cautious.

Both gameplay videos look like fun to me though I'm not really amazed. It looks kind of like Sonic on auto-pilot to me.

The 3D video looks like fun but very easy, might be an early game stage though. It's like those Assassin's Creed running sequences where everything burns around you, they're pretty easy in AC but if you are making a whole game around it then I expect more of a challenge. Though as I said earlier, this could very well be an early stage with the more difficult stuff coming later on in the game.

The 2.5D video looks, well... standard Sonic nostalgia, aren't we getting Sonic Mania to itch this scratch?

I'm prepared to give the game the benefit of the doubt for now. After Sonic & Knuckles, the only Sonic game I liked enough to play through to the end is Sonic Generations. I'll give both this and Sonic Mania a go some time after they have been released, it's just that nothing I've seen for now is getting me really excited yet.

My gut feeling is the same basic problem that the Assassin's Creed games have - yeah, it works, but don't we kind of want to keep progressing a bit, innovating? Using AC, a series that I love, as an example should be a hint that I don't necessarily think of this as a dealbreaker, but I do feel like that long running series can do with a bit of innovation now and then. The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild changed a lot to the classic Zelda formula yet made a game that seemed like more of a Zelda game than ever before, and got all the more love from me because of it. I feel like Sonic Forces won't be a disaster, but it's a very safe space they're creating here and it could do with some revitalising.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Really wish they hadn't brought classic sonic back. The 'modern sonic' levels in Unleashed were absolutely fantastic, the perfect level of challenge, loads of alternate paths for speedrunning, plenty of secrets if you want to take it slow and explore, etc.

Then Generations happened and... modern sonic in that game was absolute trash imo, the levels were all complete jokes and I can't help but wonder if having to redesign each stage with classic sonic in mind as well played a part. The classic sonic levels weren't too great in Generations either, and don't even get me started on those pitiful 'challenges' they threw in.

Generations was such a bore and this looks like Generations 2 in everything but name. They even brought fucking Green Hill back for the thousandth time.

I'll keep sadly waiting for Unleashed 2 to come along, or at the very least a modern sonic game that has level design on par with Unleashed even if they drop the Werehog. I'd certainly be happy with that. I hope they at least bring back the hub areas and side missions in Forces, hotdog missions were a great challenge in Unleashed.

5 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Really wish they hadn't brought classic sonic back. The 'modern sonic' levels in Unleashed were absolutely fantastic, the perfect level of challenge, loads of alternate paths for speedrunning, plenty of secrets if you want to take it slow and explore, etc.

Then Generations happened and... modern sonic in that game was absolute trash imo, the levels were all complete jokes and I can't help but wonder if having to redesign each stage with classic sonic in mind as well played a part. The classic sonic levels weren't too great in Generations either, and don't even get me started on those pitiful 'challenges' they threw in.

Generations was such a bore and this looks like Generations 2 in everything but name. They even brought fucking Green Hill back for the thousandth time.

I'll keep sadly waiting for Unleashed 2 to come along, or at the very least a modern sonic game that has level design on par with Unleashed even if they drop the Werehog. I'd certainly be happy with that. I hope they at least bring back the hub areas and side missions in Forces, hotdog missions were a great challenge in Unleashed.

I never played Unleashed and thought it was a GameCube era game at first but I noticed it's actually a PS3 era game...

Damn, what's up with those percentages? Is the game that hard to complete, or that unplayable? It never was on PS+ so under 5% on PSN having played through to the end and even on PSNP only about 15% of the users have played to the end...