New display name

Rarity Leaderboard

469 posts in this topic

I get the strong feeling that no matter what is implemented, the same people will pop up here to complain.

And of course, when a glitch pops up that trivializes these, I can’t wait for the shitstorms we’ll see. And it will be delightful to re-visit the DLC rarity question again.

And I thought I had a lot of time on my hands...

Edited by starcrunch061

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I get the strong feeling that no matter what is implemented, the same people will pop up here to complain.

And of course, when a glitch pops up that trivializes these, I can’t wait for the shitstorms we’ll see. And it will be delightful to re-visit the DLC rarity question again.

And I thought I had a lot of time on my hands...

I feel like you’re very bitter and demeaning for no reason...

1 hour ago, Kal2210 said:

I feel like you’re very bitter and demeaning for no reason...

Oh, there’s a reason...

On 11/17/2020 at 8:22 AM, Sinthoras_96 said:

And I will keep saying what I think about companies essentially selling trophies, so people can pretty much buy their way up the leaderboards. 

Our hobby is called trophy HUNTING. Hunting means to put in effort and work to earn yourself the reward/trophy. 

Playing Ratalaika crap has nothing to do with this. And in my opinion it's just sad that those companies abuse the psnp Leaderboard to make their money. 

I think it's just as sad that those morons at Ratalaika were trying to convince people on these forums to buy their games simply because they were already offering trophies on a silver platter with all the trimmings on it. I still remember a couple years back there were some posters here on PSNP that were cranking out threads that were advertising Ratalaika products, and we were getting rather irritated with them.

They've since stopped with the Vita, which is good, but they're still coming out with PS4 games that were only meant for a quick buck on their end, and an easy platinum for the trophy "hunters". The PS5 lifecycle has only just started so I don't think indie developers are going to jump ship just yet, at least not until next year.

I have an idea for something else of leaderboard rarity: 5 group on leaderboard (platinum, gold, silver, bronze and cardboard)

starting from calculating "common" by ÷ 2, for example I show you:

Group platinum on leaderboard-> to have 10 000 common, so you have to have +5000 uncommon, +2500 rare, +1250 very rare, +625 ultra rare

Group gold on leaderboard -> it means if you have good rarity by ÷ 2 each rarity except one rarity below, for example: to have 10 000 common, so you have to have +5000 uncommon, +2500 rare, +1250 very rare, execpt 400 ultra rare

Or

10 000 common, +5000 uncommon, +1250 very rare, +625 ultra rare execpt 1700 rare

Group silver on leaderboard, it means if you have good rarity by ÷ 2 each rarity except two rarity below

Group bronze it means if you have good rarity by ÷ 2 each rarity except three rarity below

Group cardboard (I suggest you decide on the name for the leaderboard base) -> common is too many than other rarity is below ÷2

group platinum on leaderboard is like good rarity average

Perso: sorry I do not speak English

19 minutes ago, zajac9999 said:

So, is it safe to say that nothing is gonna come of this again lol?

Very much so

We need something different. As someone else mentioned in this thread. What's the point of the current leaderboard......to see who has the most time and money and their hands? To see who can beat the easiest games the fastest? The competitive side of Trophy Hunting is more like speedrunners than anything else.

Having a leaderboard that focuses more on trophy rarity would be much better.

I've always said.... I would take an account with 50% completion, with a RARITY % of less than 40%..... OVER an account with 100% completion but has a RARITY % of over 50%. 

What's the point of having 100% (or close to it), if all you're doing is just buying easy games just for the sake of collecting trophies that everyone else has too (who play the game).

I would rather take 200 Hours to get one trophy that is Ultra rare, rather than take 200 hours to get 500 Trophies that are common.

6 hours ago, Fish613 said:

We need something different. As someone else mentioned in this thread. What's the point of the current leaderboard......to see who has the most time and money and their hands? To see who can beat the easiest games the fastest? The competitive side of Trophy Hunting is more like speedrunners than anything else.

I've always said.... I would take an account with 50% completion, with a RARITY % of less than 40%..... OVER an account with 100% completion but has a RARITY % of over 50%. 

What's the point of having 100% (or close to it), if all you're doing is just buying easy games just for the sake of collecting trophies that everyone else has too (who play the game).

I would rather take 200 Hours to get one trophy that is Ultra rare, rather than take 200 hours to get 500 Trophies that are common.

There are games people enjoy playing with, games that happen to have common trophies. Replacing the current rankings would mean that everyone who's somewhat interested in the leaderboards should just forget having fun and go for the uninteresting chore to keep up. There's a diverse world outside OCD Island, you know.

1 hour ago, Swithop said:

There are games people enjoy playing with, games that happen to have common trophies. Replacing the current rankings would mean that everyone who's somewhat interested in the leaderboards should just forget having fun and go for the uninteresting chore to keep up. There's a diverse world outside OCD Island, you know.

No one suggested replacing the current leaderboard...

26 minutes ago, zajac9999 said:

Actually, there's been someone in this thread who has blatantly been suggesting the current leaderboard be replaced:

37 minutes ago, zajac9999 said:

8 hours ago, Fish613 said:

We need something different. (...) What's the point of the current leaderboard......

(...)

Feel free to explain why there's only one way to interpret this and mine was not it.

9 hours ago, Fish613 said:

I think the first step is either demoting the values for Ratalaika games on Leaderboard progression or separate the easy platinum users into a separate LB for those specific type of games.

Ratalaika makes up the majority, but there are a couple other publishers out there with similar easy platinums. Honestly, my only qualm with Ratalaika games are that they award a platinum. If it were just a 100%, it would be justified.

Once that is done, I’m up for a Rarity LB. 

I think I need to mention the elephant in the room; apologies if it has been brought up earlier and I missed it. 

This site’s rarities, which is fundamental to the establishment of such a leaderboard, are not of a consistent basis from title to title. That is due to the lack of profile updates for a massive swath of tracked gamers on this site. The result is that older titles (PS3 games specifically) have much rarer trophies than the PS4 and PS5 titles. It’s to the point where PSNP rarities mean very little at all, and it’s certainly not reasonable to compare rarities across titles anymore when there is a significant time gap in their release dates. 

10 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Actually, there's been someone in this thread who has blatantly been suggesting the current leaderboard be replaced:

Yeah, fair enough. I probably should've been more clear in that I was referring to the people who had posted on the thread recently rather than posts from over a month ago. Either way the majority of people have been explicit in that a rarity board with sit alongside the main one as it does in other sites also, rather than replacing it which would obviously never happen.

10 hours ago, Swithop said:

Feel free to explain why there's only one way to interpret this and mine was not it.

Just the general content of the thread as a whole would make it clear that the current leaderboard isn't at risk of being replaced. At least I thought so. You are, however, free to interpret the thread however you want I guess. 

On 12/17/2020 at 7:04 AM, zajac9999 said:

Yeah, fair enough. I probably should've been more clear in that I was referring to the people who had posted on the thread recently rather than posts from over a month ago. Either way the majority of people have been explicit in that a rarity board with sit alongside the main one as it does in other sites also, rather than replacing it which would obviously never happen.

Just the general content of the thread as a whole would make it clear that the current leaderboard isn't at risk of being replaced. At least I thought so. You are, however, free to interpret the thread however you want I guess. 

Agreed. You can cherry pick rare examples of people asking for the LB to be replaced on this thread but a huge majority are just asking for an additional, prominent option.

On 12/16/2020 at 9:46 PM, DrEvilGuapo said:

I think I need to mention the elephant in the room; apologies if it has been brought up earlier and I missed it. 

This site’s rarities, which is fundamental to the establishment of such a leaderboard, are not of a consistent basis from title to title. That is due to the lack of profile updates for a massive swath of tracked gamers on this site. The result is that older titles (PS3 games specifically) have much rarer trophies than the PS4 and PS5 titles. It’s to the point where PSNP rarities mean very little at all, and it’s certainly not reasonable to compare rarities across titles anymore when there is a significant time gap in their release dates. 

I’m actually unaware of this though, anecdotally I have noticed this between PS3 and PS4 games. What is the cause of this? Why were more gamers tracked during the PS3 era?

On 09/01/2021 at 7:32 AM, Kal2210 said:

I’m actually unaware of this though, anecdotally I have noticed this between PS3 and PS4 games. What is the cause of this? Why were more gamers tracked during the PS3 era?

The site used to automatically update all profiles at least every 7 days. Now you have to be registered to have your profile auto update. So if someone was added here by a friend, or didn't register for whatever reason, they only get updated if someone enters their name on the front page again.

As new people join, their PS3 games also get synced to the site. But the older people who don't come here anymore have their PS3 stats but not their newer games registered on the site.

2 hours ago, StacFace92 said:

The site used to automatically update all profiles at least every 7 days. Now you have to be registered to have your profile auto update. So if someone was added here by a friend, or didn't register for whatever reason, they only get updated if someone enters their name on the front page again.

It's actually worse than that. I don't know if it's still in place but a few years ago PSNP set it up so that even if you registered your own profile it wouldn't necessarily auto update. Basically if PSNP didn't detect that a new trophy had been earned within a certain time period (I think it was three months from looking at profiles) it would stop auto updating indefinitely until you earned a new trophy and then manually updated it yourself. The problem is that three months between trophies isn't that unusual for a lot of players, particularly if you mostly play the big releases and spend a lot of time playing multiplayer games beyond the point you've earned all trophies you're likely to collect.

This is why games in the past few years have had less users recorded on PSNP, to the point that PSNTL often has more users recorded on popular games despite having a significantly lower user base, it's also why completion statistic for games released in the past few years have been trending upwards here.

Edited by AusLeviathan

On 2/18/2021 at 4:31 PM, StacFace92 said:

As new people join, their PS3 games also get synced to the site. But the older people who don't come here anymore have their PS3 stats but not their newer games registered on the site.

I understand not updating weekly, but why not update monthly or even every 3 months? Makes no sense to me. Has a reason ever been provided?

I'm going to try and see this from another point of view.

PSNP currently have 4 820 287 players tracked. If we assume that the site could scan each player with 1 second, it would take 4 820 287 seconds to scan every player.

That is about 80 338 minutes.

Or about 1 339 hours.

Or about 56 days.

And this is assuming every player doesn't want to rescan themselves during this period. And again, assuming a scan take 1 second (it takes longer). If it takes 2 seconds, we are up to 112 days.

22 minutes ago, Ragowit said:

I'm going to try and see this from another point of view.

PSNP currently have 4 820 287 players tracked. If we assume that the site could scan each player with 1 second, it would take 4 820 287 seconds to scan every player.

That is about 80 338 minutes.

Or about 1 339 hours.

Or about 56 days.

And this is assuming every player doesn't want to rescan themselves during this period. And again, assuming a scan take 1 second (it takes longer). If it takes 2 seconds, we are up to 112 days.

The data does not have to be "real time". Just like the current leadeboard.