Rarity Leaderboard

30 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Yeah, I saw the numbers he proposed, but he's not affiliated with the site and his values clearly aren't used in the current rarity leaderboard.

Other guy got me sorted, thanks anyway.

That second answer you got is NOT what's used for the current rarity LB either. It's the one suggestion for a new rarity LB that most users here interested in having such a LB would be happy with.

It has not been implemented yet and given how Sly hasn't even acknowledged the existence of this thread, I doubt it will be anytime soon.

20 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

That second answer you got is NOT what's used for the current rarity LB either.

I can see why there's so much confusion over how rarity is and should be calculated.

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Dubz said:

Could someone share the link for the current rarity leaderboard? Much like Helyx, I don't feel like perusing through 19 pages of posts to find it and I forgot to bookmark it last time!

if you just go the main Leaderboard, then add /rarity to the url it should get you there

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Thank you, kind Doctor. You are a gentlemen as well as a scholar!! Good day to you 1f601.png

Although there are issues with THAT rarity LB. First of all, the way points are assigned is crap. But more importantly, it hasn't been updated in forever afaik (like, the top accounts are not even public... ), and cheaters are not removed. 

It's a curiosity, really, but nothing that can be used in its current state. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joe Dubz said:

Thank you, kind Doctor. You are a gentlemen as well as a scholar!! Good day to you 1f601.png

11 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Although there are issues with THAT rarity LB. First of all, the way points are assigned is crap. But more importantly, it hasn't been updated in forever afaik (like, the top accounts are not even public... ), and cheaters are not removed. 

It's a curiosity, really, but nothing that can be used in its current state. 

What @Arcesius says here is true - there is a more maintained and nuanced Rarity Leaderboard over at PSNTL if you want to get a rough sense of where you'd place on one - obviously if they ever did get around to doing an official one here (and it seems a vey big 'if') it would have different formulae, and PSNTL's user base is significantly smaller than this site's - but it can be interesting as a curiosity.

For reference, I'm not much of an Ultra-Rare hunter (I don't go out of my way to seek out UR plats, but try not shy away from them either, so pretty much bog-standard), and while i place around 1800th on their main board, I'm around the 450th range in the Rarity - so it can be a fairly big difference, but not so much that an average trophy collector like me would be anywhere close to tickling the top end of the board or anything

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Helyx said:

Is this how the current rarity leaderboard works? Forgive me for not reading all 18 pages to find the official values.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FQjiwTgI8e3W9ABRSUl92LjSRZXj8xQGHkT3v35n07U/edit?usp=sharing

Here's another link to that spreadsheet I made years ago (and linked in this thread) with the still current function for calculating rarity.  The function is in cell B3, and it's not very easy to understand what it's doing.  I'd recommend making a copy of the sheet and plugging in different rarities values instead to get an idea.

The main problem(s) with the leaderbaord isn't the formula, though.  A cleaner formula would be an improvement, but more importantly there are currently other major issues:

(1) The point values don't change as the rarity of trophies change.  I'm not sure how exactly the site is handling this, but once you have points on the board you can never have fewer from that point on, apparently even if you get caught cheating and hide all your trophies.

(2) Some games don't seem to count at all.  I've noticed this especially with newer games and/or games with fewer owners.  Previously I thought it wasn't adding points because my previous trophies had lost value, but I've been watching this enough to basically rule that out (playing two games around the same time and switching back and forth: one counts & one doesn't reliably).  So as far as I can tell, some games just aren't counting at all.  And since the score only seems to be adjusted from new trophies, it looks like they never will.

8 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

(1) The point values don't change as the rarity of trophies change.  I'm not sure how exactly the site is handling this, but once you have points on the board you can never have fewer from that point on, apparently even if you get caught cheating and hide all your trophies.

If this can't be solved, then... well, then I lose interest in the idea of a rarity LB in general. 

As I stated before, I think assigning values not to rarity-ranges but to rarities would be really cool exactly because, in an optimal scenario, people would lose points for easy-UR games as more people go for those and they become less rare. Obviously that would happen with rarity-ranges as well, but there would be less flunctuation. 

If that can't be handled properly.. it would result in people earning a different amount of points for the same game, depending on how rare it is when they go for it. That.. yeah, that would suck. 

Edited by Arcesius

20 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

If this can't be solved, then... well, then I lose interest in the idea of a rarity LB in general. 

As I stated before, I think assigning values not to rarity-ranges but to rarities would be really cool exactly because, in an optimal scenario, people would lose points for easy-UR games as more people go for those and they become less rare. Obviously that would happen with rarity-ranges as well, but there would be less flunctuation. 

If that can't be handled properly.. it would result in people earning a different amount of points for the same game, depending on how rare it is when they go for it. That.. yeah, that would suck. 

It absolutely can be solved.  Both of the other two major trophy sites with rarity calculations do it (one using rarity-ranges and the other just using rarity).  I'm guessing that if psnp got serious about this, they'd do it too.

That's what we really need here.  The actual function could be just about anything that assigns little to no points for very common stuff and more for rare stuff.  I guess we can keep going back and forth about how much more it should assign and so forth, but seems kind of pointless unless there's more interest in this from sly.

EDIT:  I'm probably being too negative.  Let's wait and see if MMDE's current attempt leads anywhere.  And if there's still major problems then I'll be ready.  ;)

Edited by dmland12
  • Like 1

I don't know why people are still hopeful about a rarity leaderboard since this site is unfortunately dead in time, it's a debate that will not be fruitful. only one person has all the power for any major changes and unfortunately that person is not interested in doing anything, that leaderboard will not exist.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:00 PM, Kal2210 said:

I don’t understand your comment at all tbh. This is just another option to track for those with different interests. 

On 5/10/2021 at 9:39 PM, steel6burgh said:

yeah whats the point in the current leaderboard?  the mentality of the people at the top of this leaderboard I compare to the mentality of a hoarder.  They collect tons of things all day and when it's over they don't have anything worth a shit.  Anyway doesn't seem like any of it is going to happen anyway with a rarity leaderboard.  

I would say the rarity leaderboard on PSNTrophyLeaders has some merit but it's extremely imbalanced with its system favoring 'Prestige' trophies, which are any trophy that is a sub 1 percent rarity.

Hopefully MMDE will try to figure our a system that is more balanced instead of a system like the one on PSNTrophyLeaders that only caters to a very small minority of trophy hunters.

With all the easy stacking and autopopping going on, the current leaderboard has no point.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Kal2210 said:

@MMDE People seem to like your formula a lot. Any chance of it being implemented? Thanks for the work. Just looking for a bit of clarity whether or not this is being seriously considered. 

I think the big issue here is that the site owner SlyCooper has to be the one to implement something like this. This discussion has been going on for a few years now, given that this post was started over 4 years ago! So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't necessarily get your hopes up unfortunately enough. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, Joe Dubz said:

I think the big issue here is that the site owner SlyCooper has to be the one to implement something like this. This discussion has been going on for a few years now, given that this post was started over 4 years ago! So I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't necessarily get your hopes up unfortunately enough. 

Definitely not getting my hopes up, but I know that @MMDE has a lot more contact with Sly than I do. Was curious if he had spoken to him or could shed any light. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kal2210 said:

Definitely not getting my hopes up, but I know that @MMDE has a lot more contact with Sly than I do. Was curious if he had spoken to him or could shed any light. 

Yeah, I haven't really had contact with him for a while now. :S I don't know what he's been up to the last few months.

• Like 4

I see that a lot of older topics are resurfacing, nice, might be time for a renewal in some aspects.

Although I'd probably be on the lower half of it, I'd still like to see it implemented. More stats are never hurting ? (and might push me to get those UR I'm always leaving for later...)

It'd be quite interesting as well. Considering they'd refresh the point attribution once a day (would be too much work I think to make it reactive to each change as it happens), there'll be a lot more variations from current leaderboard, where you usually only go up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 10:22 PM, AJ_Radio said:

He needs to pass the torch. I don't think Sly has done anything noteworthy these past couple years. Plenty of suggestions offered by long time users here that were basically just shoved under the rug and quickly forgotten.

If he simply doesn't have the time, then he needs to give the reins to someone who cares about this website in the long term.

Yeah, if the poor communication and lack up updated keeps up like this, the masses may quickly migrate somewhere else. Kind of opening themselves up to that. It’s a shame though. Hopefully something changes.

• Like 1

Just now, Kal2210 said:

Yeah, if the poor communication and lack up updated keeps up like this, the masses may quickly migrate somewhere else. Kind of opening themselves up to that. It’s a shame though. Hopefully something changes.

Doubtful.

I don't go to PST.org that much even though I go there to get some information regarding certain games, but that is not a good substitute. The main webpage is chock full of intrusive advertisements, it's far worse when you have AdBlock off. Games rarely get updated anymore. It took them ages to get a guide going for God of War 2018, which was a sign that PlaystationTrophies.org just isn't a great place to migrate to. By the time they get a trophy guide going for any new AAA game, PSNProfiles has 5 - 10 trophy guides for new AAA games.

The community there I can take or leave.

PSNTrophyLeaders is practically dead although I have a tracked account on their leaderboards. PSNProfiles is really the only "active" place for trophy hunters. And it's just appalling that Sly no longer cares for this website. I believe there is stuff dating back to 2015 - 2017 that people suggested then that still hasn't even been considered yet, let alone implemented. That's an awfully long time to wait for any changes.

1 minute ago, AJ_Radio said:

Doubtful.

I don't go to PST.org that much even though I go there to get some information regarding certain games, but that is not a good substitute. The main webpage is chock full of intrusive advertisements, it's far worse when you have AdBlock off. Games rarely get updated anymore. It took them ages to get a guide going for God of War 2018, which was a sign that PlaystationTrophies.org just isn't a great place to migrate to. By the time they get a trophy guide going for any new AAA game, PSNProfiles has 5 - 10 trophy guides for new AAA games.

The community there I can take or leave.

PSNTrophyLeaders is practically dead although I have a tracked account on their leaderboards. PSNProfiles is really the only "active" place for trophy hunters. And it's just appalling that Sly no longer cares for this website. I believe there is stuff dating back to 2015 - 2017 that people suggested then that still hasn't even been considered yet, let alone implemented. That's an awfully long time to wait for any changes.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree and the lack of a substitute is why we’re all still here. But, that does mean there’s a bit of an opportunity for someone with web/programming/marketing skills to take advantage at the moment.

Sly seems to have handed over reigns for things like cheater removal/mods in the past, so I don’t understand the hesitance to create an update/quality improvement team of sorts.

4 minutes ago, Kal2210 said:

Sly seems to have handed over reigns for things like cheater removal/mods in the past, so I don’t understand the hesitance to create an update/quality improvement team of sorts.

I wouldn't call that a step in the right direction. I certainly don't want to be a member of the CRT team here, far too stressful of a job. The Disputes threads are just a bunch of morons who can't speak proper English, which makes those cases all the more pointless when they so obviously cheated those games that they were flagged on.

I want new features, maybe a new subforum if need be, more customization options. With a talented team of programmers you can definitely implement a number of new and snazzy features that would attract more people.

12 minutes ago, Kal2210 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I agree and the lack of a substitute is why we’re all still here. But, that does mean there’s a bit of an opportunity for someone with web/programming/marketing skills to take advantage at the moment.

Yeah and who really care if the cheaters are removed with the ratalaka leaderboard they're all cheaters imo.  What a load of crap it all is with the gaming breakthrough games and what not.  It's such a joke.  What baffles me is most of the people playing these game are 30 plus year old men. i mean damn nothing wrong with gaming at any age but playing baby games for trophies is a bit ridiculous.  I really like this site just wish they would can this current leaderboard for something better and put the shit pushing ratalaka game companies out.  The owner of this site could blackmail these companies by not counting common trophies for 50c on the dollar i bet because without psn profile putting values in these games for the trophies I bet they wouldn't sell 1/10th the games they do.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 3