Rarity Leaderboard

5 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

Yeah and who really care if the cheaters are removed with the ratalaka leaderboard they're all cheaters imo.  What a load of crap it all is with the gaming breakthrough games and what not.  It's such a joke.  What baffles me is most of the people playing these game are 30 plus year old men. i mean damn nothing wrong with gaming at any age but playing baby games for trophies is a bit ridiculous.  I really like this site just wish they would can this current leaderboard for something better and put the shit pushing ratalaka game companies out.  The owner of this site could blackmail these companies by not counting common trophies for 50c on the dollar i bet because without psn profile putting values in these games for the trophies I bet they wouldn't sell 1/10th the games they do.

I love people's logic on here...."I don't play these games so that's not count them towards leaderboard stats so I can have a higher rank"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Please don't generalize. The current leaderboard is arbitrary as well in the sense that it - by design - simply assigns pre-determined values to trophy types (bronze, silver, etc...). You earn those trophies, you get the points, you climb / fall in rank. That's the game. 

The proposition of a rarity leaderboard is equally arbitrary, but instead of assigning values to trophy types, we would assign values to rarities. It would be a good addition and - in my opinion - have the added benefit that one's total number of points would flunctutate as the trophy rarities vary over time. It's not about excluding games. It's about having a competition that is not just "earn as many gold trophies as possible". A game that can be exploited by companies by releasing "10 gold trophy games" week after week. There is no such "exploit" for a rarity leaderboard, since as soon as more people would go for the "easy UR games", they would lose in rarity and thus give less points. 

I could not have said this better myself! It would be nice if going for those sub-1% games actually gave you a more exponential boost up the leaderboards. It would make the time and effort devoted to grabbing URs much more worth it. I hope that someone will be able to convince Sly to allow this to happen, but at the same time I'm not holding my breath!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Please don't generalize. The current leaderboard is arbitrary as well in the sense that it - by design - simply assigns pre-determined values to trophy types (bronze, silver, etc...). You earn those trophies, you get the points, you climb / fall in rank. That's the game. 

The proposition of a rarity leaderboard is equally arbitrary, but instead of assigning values to trophy types, we would assign values to rarities. It would be a good addition and - in my opinion - have the added benefit that one's total number of points would flunctutate as the trophy rarities vary over time. It's not about excluding games. It's about having a competition that is not just "earn as many gold trophies as possible". A game that can be exploited by companies by releasing "10 gold trophy games" week after week. There is no such "exploit" for a rarity leaderboard, since as soon as more people would go for the "easy UR games", they would lose in rarity and thus give less points. 

Ultimately it comes down to who owns the most games because if you don't own hundreds or thousands of games you won't be near the top regardless if there's a rarity leaderboard or not.

Just now, PS_Bowser said:

Ultimately it comes down to who owns the most games because if you don't own hundreds or thousands of games you won't be near the top regardless if there's a rarity leaderboard or not.

Not quite. Actually, if the current favored formula were to be implemented, the rarity leaderboard would be led by @Danny_Johansen, who "only" has 320 games on his profile. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PS_Bowser said:

Maybe read the thread first before replying.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, PS_Bowser said:

whats the current favored formula? There's multiple in this thread alone...

4 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I think the current one is the one from MMDE? Not sure...

Yeah, although the formula in that post is only an approximation. MMDE hasn't disclosed the closed-form of his formula, but instead has posted the point distribution here: 

I think in this moment the rarity LB would be a good addition because the actual LB lose importance for some people since it became "pay to win" so adding this will reignite the interest on leaderboards, personally since 2 years ago I changed my approach to trophy hunting from leveling up to just decreasing my average rarity and it is what interest me nowadays, maybe some other people could like it too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PS_Bowser said:

I love people's logic on here...."I don't play these games so that's not count them towards leaderboard stats so I can have a higher rank"

i don't think that is my logic man.  I think that if you asked some of the people at the top of the leaderboard they would say the same thing.  those guys are competitive by nature and they are a victim of it as well.  they literally feel they have to play all that crap to keep up with the other top guys.  It's complete garbage. it's not gaming.  It's not achievement hunting.  You can assume what you like.  I won't be at the top of the leaderboards either way. I started way to late to be at the top yet it would be fun to be a able to compete without having to spend thousands of dollars on garbage.  The point is a small percentage of trophy hunters actually play this trash.  the current setup for the leaderboard caters to the few not the majority.  I'm never actually said to take down the current leaderboard I've always argued that we should have two a rarity leaderboard as well as the trash ratalaka stack board so that everybody is happy.  Gotta have the participation reward board too man, shit.

also keep in mind i'd loose my common trophy progress just like everyone else.

Edited by steel6burgh
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, steel6burgh said:

i don't think that is my logic man.  I think that if you asked some of the people at the top of the leaderboard they would say the same thing.  those guys are competitive by nature and they are a victim of it as well.  they literally feel they have to play all that crap to keep up with the other top guys.  It's complete garbage. it's not gaming.  It's not achievement hunting.  You can assume what you like.  I won't be at the top of the leaderboards either way. I started way to late to be at the top yet it would be fun to be a able to compete without having to spend thousands of dollars on garbage.  The point is a small percentage of trophy hunters actually play this trash.  the current setup for the leaderboard caters to the few not the majority.  I'm never actually said to take down the current leaderboard I've always argued that we should have two a rarity leaderboard as well as the trash ratalaka stack board so that everybody is happy.  Gotta have the participation reward board too man, shit.

Sadly if you see the "Popular games this week" in the front page, some of the positions are taken by those games... So the % of trophy hunters that play them isn't that "small"

6 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Sadly if you see the "Popular games this week" in the front page, some of the positions are taken by those games... So the % of trophy hunters that play them isn't that "small"

nah its relatively small the games cost 4.99 or less so they all run out day one and buy it. Look at those same gams in a few months they won't have many owners.  I'd say its 10% or less of the people on this site maybe 15%.  Of course I don't know the exact numbers s but Im all the way up to the top 12,000 in the world after only 5 years not playing this garbage so it can't be much more than 10 to 15% I would think.  It's for sure not the majority. 

Edited by steel6burgh

1 minute ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Is that normal? That sounds terrible if he can't be bothered to even respond to his own team.

unfortunately, that's how most web developers are...once they get a website up and running then they just leave it be unless something major happens.

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

I don't see the point of the current leaderboards because all it is is people like Izemenzi and Hakoom just buying a bunch of shit games to keep their world ranks intact. Unless somebody here is truly determined to game 12 - 15 hours a day playing a bunch of garbage you might as well give up in being competitive.

What it essentially comes down to is the equivalent of collecting a bunch of useless stamps. It's like you collected a bunch of ordinary fish, hanged them all up on the wall, and call that an accomplishment. It is not.

There is a reason why people strive to catch fish that carry a lot of weight on them. It's far more rewarding and is a sign of an actual accomplishment. Collecting some ordinary fish and hailing it as an achievement is ridiculous.

People would find a way to pick out the easiest "ultra rare" games they could find for the rarity leaderboards to pad their numbers, but it will still be a lot more difficult and time consuming than stacking a bunch of games that one can easily finish in 30 minutes or less.

Participation awards have ruined a large aspect of society.

you talk about things you don't understand 99% of ur are easy to get it just takes time and hakoom is also in the top of the
rarity leaderboards
?
So what excuses do you find when the rarity leaderbords will be the same as the general leaderbords to say that it has
become too easy?

40 minutes ago, Angus1343 said:

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but if so it's a fucking terrible one. 

Maybe you are oblivious to all the people hoarding the 1- 30 minute trash games getting 100+ platinums per month and flying up the leaderboards without playing any actual games, but somehow I suspect that isn't the case. These people would be damn near the bottom of the proposed rarity leaderboard.

and this ranking turns into who will have the most ur and the first will just go to make the easiest ur like the general leaderbords

55 minutes ago, ViensDanser said:

and this ranking turns into who will have the most ur and the first will just go to make the easiest ur like the general leaderbords

Ces jeux là vont valoir moins de points dans ce genre de leaderboard comparé au jeux qui sont très rare mais aussi dure, c'est le concept général qu'ils sont en traîne de discuter. Les ultra rares faciles avec le temps vont augmenter en rareté et perdront de la valeur mais cependant ceux qui sont dure vont restés stable où même descendre plus qu'ils ya du monde qui les jouent pour grimper  en position. (J'assume que tu comprend mieux le français) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angus1343 said:

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but if so it's a fucking terrible one. 

Maybe you are oblivious to all the people hoarding the 1- 30 minute trash games getting 100+ platinums per month and flying up the leaderboards without playing any actual games, but somehow I suspect that isn't the case. These people would be damn near the bottom of the proposed rarity leaderboard.

@ViensDanser is the current, global 3rd place member on the general leaderboard, and the 1st in their country. I am more than sure ViensDancer is intimately aware of the trophy climate at present.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Ces jeux là vont valoir moins de points dans ce genre de leaderboard comparé au jeux qui sont très rare mais aussi dure, c'est le concept général qu'ils sont en traîne de discuter. Les ultra rares faciles avec le temps vont augmenter en rareté et perdront de la valeur mais cependant ceux qui sont dure vont restés stable où même descendre plus qu'ils ya du monde qui les jouent pour grimper  en position. (J'assume que tu comprend mieux le français) 

I understand but for example just by going back to ps3 you can get a lot of ultra rare/very rare/rare
I'm just saying that it ends in the same way as the general leaderbords. A maximum of points in a minimum of time
Edited by ViensDanser

I would love a leaderboard that rewards you with ultra rares, extraordinary skilled players like Floriis and many other extremely talented and dedicated achievers should be at the very top of these lists but I am pretty sure, that this will never happen. I totally agree @DeepEyes7. When all this started, it was a different time, there were only a few easy ones. I remember some Disney games around the 12 hour mark and they were the fastest games by that time = ) It was a nice thing to like hunt a rather quick one back in those days.

I don't want another endless debate about easy, stackable plats, just wanted to say that a leaderboard like this makes like no sense in 2021 (at least to me). It's a nice feature that looses more and more substance due to the way trophy hunting works nowadays. And even if the tag ultra rare don't necessarily means, that a certain trophy was hard to achieve, it still is the thing that comes closest to some kind of a evaluation. I for myself could not care less about my ranking because I don't have the time to aim for higher tiers. But for the sake of a leaderboard it would be the best thing that could happen.

Imagine someone with only 80 plats would hit the top 10 due to the sheer toughness of the games he has beaten. That would be something I would pull my hat for. :-) 

Just my opinion on this often discussed topic. Have a great weekend, guys. 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 2

@MMDE I propose the following: since this thread is now very long and filled with different propositions for a point calculation, links to non-functional rarity LBs and such, and people cannot be expected to read through the entire thread, can we start a new topic where the OP contains all the needed information?

What's the purpose of the rarity LB and how does it differ from the normal one, how are points calculated, etc...

This thread could then be archived.

I would volunteer to put something together if we agree that it would be a meaningful thing to do. 

• Like 2