Mass Effect Andromeda review thread

It's reviewing lower than I would expect, true, but there's nothing here telling me that I won't enjoy this game either. Wasn't going to get it at release anyway because of my outrageous backlog, maybe in about 6 months to a year, so it should be well worth the price of admission when i finally get around to it.

Edited by MeteorHawk

Seems like they played it real safe with this one. After the sphepard trilogy ME's stuck in a bit of a holding pattern until they decide how they really want to push the universe forward. Andromeda feels like an attempt to keep the property relevant after 5 years without any new releases, test out some tentative new gameplay concepts (increased mobility in combat, larger emphasis on exploration, etc.), and develop assets that might be put to use in the next big step. It's disposable but I think just not f-ing it up was the main priority here.

7 hours ago, xh117 said:

You know you actually can get a refund, I think you can if you don't play over a certain amount of time. It was that way with No Mans Sky anyway.

7 hours ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Nope. No Man's Sky was a special case because refunds were being given out on the basis of false advertisement. There really was no false advertisement with Andromeda it's just a buggy mess.

I also think the shitstorm over No Man's Sky got so big that Sony was pretty much forced into giving out refunds. I highly doubt that will ever happen with Mass Effect, but if it does then I will try and get a refund.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/store---transactions/payments---refunds/playstation-store-cancellation-policy/

It will not help you any more now but just for the record, you can request a refund on a transaction within 14 days of buying it, as long as you haven't started downloading/streaming it yet.

Another reason to not pre-order digital too far in advance... Beter to keep the money in a savings account and wait until a day or two before release.

16 minutes ago, Ftwrthtx said:

See it's images like this that make me want the game.

Mass-Effect%E2%84%A2_-Andromeda_20170314

Mass-Effect%E2%84%A2_-Andromeda_20170318

Not the trophy by the way, I play every game with a story without trophy notifications the first time around.

I'll most likely enjoy this a lot once I can get it cheap enough.

Very low by Bioware standards (75 still on Metacritic), but eh... some of my favorite games have ranked in the 7/10 range from most critics, if not lower, and I still adore ME, so I'm still eagerly anticipating a visit from my friendly neighborhood UPS man in a couple of hours. I think the only thing that critics said that was worrisome was about the technical woes, but I can deal with grindy fetch quests or some subpar moments in the storytelling.

Well just got off the phone with Sony. Was able to get my refund for Andromeda. Seems that this is a special case were Sony pretty much has to give out refunds. At least that is the sense I got from the person I was speaking with.

As I was speaking with him he actually went and spoke with the adviser in the middle of our call (Put me on hold first of course) and it seems that they are very much aware of all the issues that plague this game. 

Should be getting my refund in about 3 to 5 days.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Well just got off the phone with Sony. Was able to get my refund for Andromeda. Seems that this is a special case were Sony pretty much has to give out refunds. At least that is the sense I got from the person I was speaking with.

As I was speaking with him he actually went and spoke with the adviser in the middle of our call (Put me on hold first of course) and it seems that they are very much aware of all the issues that plague this game. 

Should be getting my refund in about 3 to 5 days.

Now don't go spending that refund money on risky pre-orders! :)

7 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Now don't go spending that refund money on risky pre-orders! :)

Definitely not gonna pre-order anything. I'm actually gonna wait until this weekend to see if there is a flash sale.

If the flash sale is no good I'm just gonna buy one of the games I missed out on earlier in the year. Want to pick up Yakuza 0 but since I have the Kingdom Hearts collection pre-ordered I'm thinking about getting Kingdom Hearts 2.8.

1. Most reviewers give every iteration of Call of Duty a 9 or greater just based on the name. As such, I haven't heeded the recommendation of a review in years.

2. In this day and age I very, very rarely buy games at launch. Here's why -

-my backlog is huge!

-price drops tend to be quick

-launch bugs and glitches that have yet to be patched.

Unless its Dark Souls. Then it Day One. Cuz From Software don't fuck up:)

This will probably be one of the final games I get at launch. It seemed like I wasn't getting any trophies during my first playthrough, so I had to make another character to do so. BUT in order to do that, I had to create more than 4 custom characters beforehand because the beginning prologue is seriously bugged and I couldn't get out of the area everyone was in (When you check on your twin's pog after the crash). Not to mention all of my quests & milestones from my first Ryder could be seen on the second profile. It's a disappointing start so far but I'm not too sure that it'll change in the future. 

On 3/21/2017 at 3:32 PM, ratchetdude231 said:

Seems that this is a special case were Sony pretty much has to give out refunds

Considering the state of industry, Sony may as well give up and pull full refunds like on Steam. (Would be interesting seeing trophy hunters buying a 2 hours game to get all trophies and they get a refund, though :awesome: )

With NMS and this, they will eventually have to.

Just now, Satoshi Ookami said:

Considering the state of industry, Sony may as well give up and pull full refunds like on Steam. (Would be interesting seeing trophy hunters buying a 2 hours game to get all trophies and they get a refund, though :awesome: )

With NMS and this, they will eventually have to.

Yeah Sony really needs to start working on having an actual refund policy. You should be able to cancel a pre-order whenever you want regardless of if you pre-ordered the game a week ago or a month ago.

They should also allow customers to get refunds as long as it's within reason. They should have like a 3 day refund policy of sorts where if you don't like the game or the game is a buggy mess you can get a refund. 

I actually still haven't gotten my refund. I was told I have to wait 3-5 days and it is getting me worried that they might not accept my request, but the guy I was spoke with yesterday basically said something along the lines of "Our adviser has gotten confirmation that the game has issues so we will be definitely giving you a refund." So I should be getting my refund within the next couple days.

I just realized Kingdom Hearts 2.8 is on sale for 40 bucks on PSN so I'm definitely getting that when I get my money back.

9 hours ago, ratchetdude231 said:

Yeah Sony really needs to start working on having an actual refund policy. You should be able to cancel a pre-order whenever you want regardless of if you pre-ordered the game a week ago or a month ago.

They should also allow customers to get refunds as long as it's within reason. They should have like a 3 day refund policy of sorts where if you don't like the game or the game is a buggy mess you can get a refund. 

I actually still haven't gotten my refund. I was told I have to wait 3-5 days and it is getting me worried that they might not accept my request, but the guy I was spoke with yesterday basically said something along the lines of "Our adviser has gotten confirmation that the game has issues so we will be definitely giving you a refund." So I should be getting my refund within the next couple days.

I just realized Kingdom Hearts 2.8 is on sale for 40 bucks on PSN so I'm definitely getting that when I get my money back.

I've had a few problems but I mean very few. guess I'm lucky. also I wouldn't spend more than 30 on KH2.8. you're paying for an old game in HD. followed by a scene video that adds to the convoluted story. plus a 1 to 2 hour death scene that ties into 3 and isn't even really challenging.

Soo, anyone who's got this game that can tell me how it compares to the previous ME's ?

ME's pretty much my favourite series but I'm not gonna spend €80 on a deluxe edition if it's as broken as all review sites say it is :/

14 hours ago, Yami said:

Soo, anyone who's got this game that can tell me how it compares to the previous ME's ?

ME's pretty much my favourite series but I'm not gonna spend €80 on a deluxe edition if it's as broken as all review sites say it is :/

Honestly I think this game is getting criminally underrated. I'm having an absolute blast with the story and crew, glitches are so minimal I'm astounded at the grilling the game is getting. Fallout 4 is far far worse and seems to get a free pass for everything it failed at in my opinion. The only thing I really consider very underwhelming is the character customization. I went into this game worried and have come out so surprised at how much it feels like a great new mass effect game. The whole concept of settling a new galaxy is a great theme to explore and i'm just loving it. I get the feeling people didn't want to like the game (because of the diversity and SJW label put on bioware) before it came out and this mentality is creating such a negative buzz around the game. Anyway just my opinion take it how you will.

For reference to the other ME games I would put Andromeda as my second favourite behind ME2 (keeping in mind I'm about 25hrs into Andromeda). More focus on exploring planets in this game (semi-open world) than the previous trilogy and combat is more mobile. 

Edited by Dani061094
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Yami said:

I'm gonna be honest, if you're expecting the storytelling, character writing and world-building to be on par with ME 1 or 2, you'll be very disappointed. I've played about 12-15 hours of Andromeda and everything people were saying about those aspects is true, unfortunately. So far it feels like Mass Effect fanfiction for teens written by teens – the hard sci-fi elements are gone, everything is space magic now, everyone is trying to be funny all the time and most of the characters, including NPCs, are either uninteresting, unlikable, or complete idiots. The villains are about as intriguing as the aliens from Independence Day. The writing is truly abysmal, some of the most cringe-worthy stuff I have had the displeasure of hearing/reading in a BioWare game. It tries so hard to be Mass Effect and it just comes of as someone's first writing assignment. It's bad. Really bad. So far I haven't had a single emotional response to anything the game has presented me with, and that to me is simply a crime in a BioWare/Mass Effect game.

That being said, the core gameplay is fun (albeit very unfocused with tons of trashy side content), the music is decent, when it's actually there and well... the game looks really good, if you can get over the bad animations. I have yet to run into any major bugs, if that's your main concern.

I don't know if I can recommend this. I'm a huge ME fan, and I'm finding some enjoyment in Andromeda, on the other hand I hate it for being such a disgrace to the original trilogy. I think as a ME fan you owe it to yourself to play this, maybe just wait for a sale, I don't know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dani061094 said:

Honestly I think this game is getting criminally underrated. I'm having an absolute blast with the story and crew, glitches are so minimal I'm astounded at the grilling the game is getting. Fallout 4 is far far worse and seems to get a free pass for everything it failed at in my opinion. The only thing I really consider very underwhelming is the character customization. I went into this game worried and have come out so surprised at how much it feels like a great new mass effect game. The whole concept of settling a new galaxy is a great theme to explore and i'm just loving it. I get the feeling people didn't want to like the game (because of the diversity and SJW label put on bioware) before it came out and this mentality is creating such a negative buzz around the game. Anyway just my opinion take it how you will.

For reference to the other ME games I would put Andromeda as my second favourite behind ME2 (keeping in mind I'm about 25hrs into Andromeda). More focus on exploring planets in this game (semi-open world) than the previous trilogy and combat is more mobile. 

1 hour ago, ShadowReplicant said:

I'm gonna be honest, if you're expecting the storytelling, character writing and world-building to be on par with ME 1 or 2, you'll be very disappointed. I've played about 12-15 hours of Andromeda and everything people were saying about those aspects is true, unfortunately. So far it feels like Mass Effect fanfiction for teens written by teens – the hard sci-fi elements are gone, everything is space magic now, everyone is trying to be funny all the time and most of the characters, including NPCs, are either uninteresting, unlikable, or complete idiots. The villains are about as intriguing as the aliens from Independence Day. The writing is truly abysmal, some of the most cringe-worthy stuff I have had the displeasure of hearing/reading in a BioWare game. It tries so hard to be Mass Effect and it just comes of as someone's first writing assignment. It's bad. Really bad. So far I haven't had a single emotional response to anything the game has presented me with, and that to me is simply a crime in a BioWare/Mass Effect game.

That being said, the core gameplay is fun (albeit very unfocused with tons of trashy side content), the music is decent, when it's actually there and well... the game looks really good, if you can get over the bad animations. I have yet to run into any major bugs, if that's your main concern.

I don't know if I can recommend this. I'm a huge ME fan, and I'm finding some enjoyment in Andromeda, on the other hand I hate it for being such a disgrace to the original trilogy. I think as a ME fan you owe it to yourself to play this, maybe just wait for a sale, I don't know.

Thanks for the info !

Seems like pretty much all aspects of what I liked in the original trilogy have been neglected. I don't really care much for how well the combat works. For me ME was all about the interactions between characters and the bonds you built with them. I will definitely play this, but having heard this, unfortunately I don't think it's worth the full price....

1 hour ago, Ratchet said:

The X1 version has a 77 at this point. Not the stellar performance of the first three (and personally I thought the critics were very forgiving with the faults of 1 and 3) but not the trainwreck we expected after all those insta-meme videos.

On 3/20/2017 at 7:35 PM, xh117 said:

You know you actually can get a refund, I think you can if you don't play over a certain amount of time. It was that way with No Mans Sky anyway.

I know with the new refund policy on Steam, you can ask for a refund for a game as long as your total play time is around a few hours and you refund it extremely close to the time you had purchased it. 

Sadly on console, just like Rachet said, it is impossible and NMS was a very particular case. 

8 minutes ago, Lawless_Llama said:

I know with the new refund policy on Steam, you can ask for a refund for a game as long as your total play time is around a few hours and you refund it extremely close to the time you had purchased it. 

Sadly on console, just like Rachet said, it is impossible and NMS was a very particular case. 

I tried getting a refund a couple weeks ago and unfortunately it didn't work out. Got some bullshit response from Sony about how "The game was  played for several hours" even though I never booted up the game once. I could have tried again, but I was too lazy. Losing out on 60 bucks isn't going to break the bank for me, and with all the games I have to play by the time I get to Andromeda some patches will be released.

I'm interested to play Andromeda at some point, just not know with all the stuff I have in my backlog. Hopefully some of the issues in the game are ironed out by the time I do play it. I hope Bioware and EA at least have the decency to give out some of the story DLC for free as an apology because no matter how you spin it this is unacceptable.

Edited by Ratchet