PS4 external hard drive error solution 'The device cannot be used, try unplugging and plugging it back in"

YTPerfectParadox

Hey guys as we all know the PS4 can support external hard drives now and i have had a bit of trouble with mine so i just wanted to offer a possible solution to anyone who has the same problem. I searched and couldn't find any other topics on this but i don't generally start topics or search so i apologise if its repeated information:P

Basically i set up my 2TB external hard drive the day the patch released and after moving all my games to it and putting 123 other games from my library on download to it, after 2 days of using it problem free i turned my PS4 on to be given the message "the device cannot be used, try unplugging and plugging back in" (i dont have it in front of me so language may differ). As you can imagine i was quite pissed since absolutely everything was now stored on there. In the device settings it sheds details giving the error code that it needs to be USB 3.0, despite the fact that it is.

I experimented with finding a solution and just wanted to share it incase anyone else has the same problem. Obviously unplugging and plugging back in or resetting did not fix the problem, and the problem persisted for days. what fixed the problem for me was to

1. turn the ps4 off

2. unplug the hard drive

3. turn the ps4 on

4. once booted, plug the hard drive in

You will see a hard drive loading icon in the top right corner recognising that it is now being read. If you had anything downloading to the hard drive before this error DO NOT click on downloads until the icon disappears or the data will be lost and the download will restart. I still contacted Sony to get their thoughts and they recommended i rebuild the database (you can google how to do that).

There's probably not many with this specific problem as its likely a hardware compatibility issue of some sort but since there's little to no support for this feature since its so new i thought id share some methods since they may help in other cases too.

Hope this helps someone in need :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terarded said:

Hey guys as we all know the PS4 can support external hard drives now and i have had a bit of trouble with mine so i just wanted to offer a possible solution to anyone who has the same problem. I searched and couldn't find any other topics on this but i don't generally start topics or search so i apologise if its repeated information:P

Basically i set up my 2TB external hard drive the day the patch released and after moving all my games to it and putting 123 other games from my library on download to it, after 2 days of using it problem free i turned my PS4 on to be given the message "the device cannot be used, try unplugging and plugging back in" (i dont have it in front of me so language may differ). As you can imagine i was quite pissed since absolutely everything was now stored on there. In the device settings it sheds details giving the error code that it needs to be USB 3.0, despite the fact that it is.

I experimented with finding a solution and just wanted to share it incase anyone else has the same problem. Obviously unplugging and plugging back in or resetting did not fix the problem, and the problem persisted for days. what fixed the problem for me was to

1. turn the ps4 off

2. unplug the hard drive

3. turn the ps4 on

4. once booted, plug the hard drive in

You will see a hard drive loading icon in the top right corner recognising that it is now being read. If you had anything downloading to the hard drive before this error DO NOT click on downloads until the icon disappears or the data will be lost and the download will restart. I still contacted Sony to get their thoughts and they recommended i rebuild the database (you can google how to do that).

There's probably not many with this specific problem as its likely a hardware compatibility issue of some sort but since there's little to no support for this feature since its so new i thought id share some methods since they may help in other cases too.

Hope this helps someone in need :)

What was the brand of the external? Just for reference.

• 10 months later...

This method doesn’t work for me, i got the message ‘This device cannot be used. Try disconnecting it and then connecting it again.’ And I tried restarting my PS4 and tried your method aswell but the message keeps on popping up again, any ideas?

EDIT: I also tried reconnecting it like they suggestew but that didn’t work either

Edited by freakerboy_2

I have this issue as well for either my usb stick or the external, however both are still able to read, play and transfer so it is just a minor annoyance.

I made the mistake of putting music on my usb and for the external it was when I hooked up a psvr 1st. I have one of those cooling stands so, the external has to take one slot while my usb stick and charging cords take the stand ports. Then my cooling stand or psvr takes the 2nd usb on PS4

On 3/24/2017 at 10:05 AM, Terarded said:

i used a drive i already had so dont have the box but 'WD My Passport' is printed on the drive

WD is Western Digital, pretty good company. I think it shows up if you hook it up to pc. You didn't by chance do that and upload something to your drive did you? That can also cause the error and not be read as once its partitioned for PS4 it can't be used as storage for movies or music from pc. You might need to reformat if you did. 

Reason number 4 drawbacks:

http://www.ps4storage.com/ps4-extended-storage-format/

Other reasons: http://www.ps4storage.com/ps4-external-hdd-not-recognized/

• 3 years later...