Death Note Live Action Netflix - L's actor.

TigressLion

Truthfully, I feel it's way to early to judge anything about this movie, let alone actor choices.

At this stage we know nothing about how the actors will portray the characters. 

I never understood why people get so upset about the race of characters changing in adaptations. Unless the characters race is tied into the story of the character in some way, it really does not matter what race the actor is. In Death Note's case, there is not a single character who's story arc is defined or shaped by the fact that they are Japanese.

As for the trailer it is cut terribly, most of the scenes look like they were taken from anywhere in the movie. Like the scenes where Light is running could be from the very end of the movie or at the start before he really starts using the Death Note. The only scenes we see of L is him in a crime scenes, and the scenes with Misa really make her seem like Kiyomi Takada (Light's girlfriend in the early parts of Death Note).

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 1

I find the claims of whitewashing in media to be ridiculous. Of course, if its an American adaptation then there are going to be primarily American actors and therefore primarily white/hispanic/black actors and actresses. If the adaptation is being set in the U.S then it makes even more sense that this would be the case. 

A major difference between Ghost in the Shell and Death Note is that Scarlet Johanson, appearance wise, was a perfect fit for Mikoto. Whereas the actors for Light and L look nothing like their original counterparts. Light has frosted-tipped hair, and looks like an average teenager when he should really look much more like a conventionally attractive, dignified honors student.

L's appearance is even more important as it was certainly very unique and added a lot to L's weirdness. Of course, part of that appearance is the contrast between his extremely pale skin and the pitch black hair and baggy eyes. I don't have a problem with an African-American actor playing L (as long as tokenism isn't the incentive behind the decision), but unfortunately in this case the skin tone works against this rather important aspect of L's appearance. However, the black adaptation of L could have been handled much better to actually make the actor look closer to the original. He could still have long, dark, messy hair, along with some heavy eyebags. So far, much like with Light, the actor hasn't been given of these characteristics vital to the source character's appearance. As a result, a part of these characters seem like they will be lost in the American version. 

Furthermore the trailer has poor cinematography, generic text, and looks like a boring action film.

Part of the overall theme of Ghost in the Shell, amongst many other parts, was what it is like to live in Japan and be Japanese in the world as it stood in the anime and manga. The setting is very clearly Japan, the characters are clearly Japanese. The Japanese Miracle. The Japanese Self Defense Army. Public Security Section 9, part of the Japanese National Public Safety Commission. The Major was formerly a member of the Japanese Ground Self Defense Force. There are plenty of English speaking Japanese actors that need work without having to whitewash the main characters. It's not the 1940s, trust me, I don't think Americans are scared of the Japanese anymore.

Edited by damon8r351

Isn't there already a Death Note movie?

p180211_d_v8_aa.jpg

Could always watch this instead of the new one...

Anyway, I don't like whitewashing by any means, but this looks like it's going to be shitty anyway and it's very likely that it's not going to do well no matter the actors (with that said I would've vastly preferred it if they got actors that at least resembled the goddamn characters). Ghost in the Shell is a different story, however...

Edited by Waffle-Sensei
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

See I don't even mind that the characters were different races, because let's face it, the Attack on Titan live action movie did pretty much the same thing, but the characters were so far from their Japanese counterparts in terms of personality. 

Edited by Lucky
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2017 at 3:32 AM, SkyMason said:

Caucasian? Isn't Death note set in Japan?

EDIT: Not trolling or w/e, haven't seen the show/manga myself

They make some remarks about this in the movie. ;) 

TBH, the actor for L wasn't the big issue of this movie, at least not for me, neither was the actor for Ryuk. It was pretty much everything else.

Edited by MMDE

3 hours ago, MMDE said:

They make some remarks about this in the movie. ;) 

TBH, the actor for L wasn't the big issue of this movie, at least not for me, neither was the actor for Ryuk. It was pretty much everything else.

Yeah same, watched it as soon as it came out, can't say I was that bothered about the casting. As a movie, however, everything else was just awful, deathnote fan or not.

Now that the movie is out, I still haven't watched it (not sure I can bring myself to do so), but I have seen the trailer and I think L is probably the only good part of the movie -- i.e. he's the only character that's at all similar to the original. The actor may not LOOK like L, but at least he seems to be playing the role with the original in mind. I don't think that can be said for any of the other actors.

• Like 1