Project Platinum: Metroidvania

Kevvik

Can you please promote me to "Metroidvania Warrior" and also the "Heir to the legacy" special award. I have the following 4 plats:

Guacamelee!

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Strider

Rogue Legacy (special award)

I also have the 100% in Shantae: Risky's Revenge but don't think that counts for anything by itself. 

27 minutes ago, MStalker58 said:

Can you please promote me to "Metroidvania Warrior" and also the "Heir to the legacy" special award. I have the following 4 plats:

Guacamelee!

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Strider

Rogue Legacy (special award)

I also have the 100% in Shantae: Risky's Revenge but don't think that counts for anything by itself. 

You have been promoted!  

Yes, the 100% games are merely impressive all on their own.  If all are done, they will augment a platinum rank into a super platinum rank though that doesn't change the score on the leaderboards.

I hope to update the leaderboards tomorrow.  It has been enough getting the main posts looking all cleaned up for this and Way of the Sword tonight.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, put me on as Metroidvania Watcher as all of the Shantae games are on my account and I plan on 100% every of them eventually(already have 84% of Half-Genie Hero ^_^). If things go well, this might be the first PP I might get the mastery in even though some of the games are not to my taste(Salt and Sanctuary, for example, which is the Dark Souls of Metroidvania).

On 3/26/2017 at 3:37 PM, NebbyLunala said:

Oh yeah, put me on as Metroidvania Watcher as all of the Shantae games are on my account and I plan on 100% every of them eventually(already have 84% of Half-Genie Hero ^_^). If things go well, this might be the first PP I might get the mastery in even though some of the games are not to my taste(Salt and Sanctuary, for example, which is the Dark Souls of Metroidvania).

You have been added as a Watcher.  I look forward to promoting you soon!

Didn't check in on this one, so I'll gladly volunteer.  

Metroid is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises by far, so I'll keep coming back to this thread to check the games, for now I'm a Metroidvania connoisseur :D with 6

Salt and sanctuary 

Strider

Guacamelee 

Teslagrad

Shadow complex 

Dust 

4 hours ago, TheBritishBaron said:

Metroidvania Apprentice  

Games:

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Teslagrad

Hehe this does make me want to play some of the other games now :)

Apprentice you now are!  Great games await!  For my part, I really enjoyed Apotheon.

3 hours ago, RingUnlimited said:

I would love to be added under metroidvania apprentice. Got that sweet Guacamelee platinum a little while ago.

Added as well!

1 hour ago, Mah2c said:

Metroid is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises by far, so I'll keep coming back to this thread to check the games, for now I'm a Metroidvania connoisseur :D with 6

Salt and sanctuary 

Strider

Guacamelee 

Teslagrad

Shadow complex 

Dust 

Ah, a Connoisseur of several fine servings of gameplay.

4 hours ago, Warpedsavior said:

Can you add me as a Metroidvania Watcher? I plan on buying all the Shantae games eventually.

It's so much more fun playing than just watching.  Hope to promote you soon!

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

Shouldn't castlevania: harmony of despair be added as an extra game?

Our founder had made the decision to leave the Castlevania games separate from this PP.  This was based on the Lords of Shadow games definitely not having a Metroidvania feel to them.  While HoD is closer to those origins, it still has a more arcadish feel with less emphasis on the exploration side and more on "beat the boss before time runs out".  So I think that I will side with souleater655 on this.

2 hours ago, Kevvik said:

Congrats!  No time wasted there.  You'll be a Warrior before you know it.:)

Not today - Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 got dropped and I picked my copy up at the local Gamestop and am now playing it. Also, Shantae the Pirate's Curse is a pain in the thumbs, especially those "beat [boss] without getting hit" and "Complete Run Run Rottytops without getting hit."

On 3/29/2017 at 10:13 PM, Jaguargenie said:

Warrior!

Dust

Guacamelee

AXIOM VERGE

And my current KYC game is headlander. Everything I have read says it's a metroidvania and thus far (only an hour in) I would have to agree. So that's gonna be my next Plat once the event is over. 

And a Warrior you shall be named!

A lot of what I have read says the same thing.  I'll look into it more and also check with the master board to see if it is spoken for anywhere else.

On 3/30/2017 at 10:32 AM, aZombieDictator said:

Sign me up! I've got 7 platinums on the list.

And another Connoisseur as well!

I noticed Headlander on your plat list as well.  Any feedback on if you feel it would qualify for this PP?

Big Metroidvania fan, unfortunately I've already played a bunch of these (Guacamelee, Xeodrifter, Shadow Complex, Shantae games, Teslagrad) on other platforms (3DS, WiiU, Steam)

Currently playing Axiom Verge on Vita though and might get Salt and Sanctuary next. Add me as a watcher!

Might see what I have through PS+ and replay those too.

Thanks for making this thread.

Ok, I have Apotheon, Shadow Complex, Strider and Xeodrifter from PSstore already, might do those after Axiom Verge and Salt and Sanctuary.

I don't know if you considered it, but Steamworld Dig is a fantastic take on the Metroidvania genre. Absolutely love it.

Edited by kaspariusthree

On 3/31/2017 at 7:04 PM, Kevvik said:

And a Warrior you shall be named!

A lot of what I have read says the same thing.  I'll look into it more and also check with the master board to see if it is spoken for anywhere else.

And another Connoisseur as well!

I noticed Headlander on your plat list as well.  Any feedback on if you feel it would qualify for this PP?

Hmm. I say mise well add it. Super super easy but enjoyable and has heavy aspects of Metroidvania. And if Apotheon can be in here I'd say add it. Since Apotheon is probably easier or as easy to platinum. Also what about a Double Fine project platinum if it doesn't exist already since Headlander would be part of that.

Edited by aZombieDictator
Spelling

So, it will be likely that Headlander will be added soon as I am definitely feeling that it is appropriate for the Metroidvania PP.  I will likely add it at the end of this week if I don't find out it is benchmarked for another PP.

On 4/1/2017 at 5:12 PM, Shadiochao said:

Sign me up for Metroidvania Master 1f601.png

How do you feel about adding Chronicles of Teddy, Momodora 4 and Headlander to the games list? Maybe even Song of the Deep too, although that's a little different from all of the others

Our first Master!  All current platinums as well as 100% on all current minor titles.

Again looking at Chronicles of Teddy, Momodora 4 and Song of the Deep, the writeups I have read all suggest good reason for inclusion as bonus minor titles.  If anyone who has played them can provide further input, it would be appreciated.

On 4/2/2017 at 0:21 PM, kaspariusthree said:

I don't know if you considered it, but Steamworld Dig is a fantastic take on the Metroidvania genre. Absolutely love it.

While I have read that the Metroidvania element is strong, it also seems to carry influences from a number of styles (Spelunky and mining resource games) that make me think it might not be completely appropriate for here.  I may be mistaken.  Feel free to give feedback on this.

On 4/2/2017 at 0:21 PM, kaspariusthree said:

Big Metroidvania fan, unfortunately I've already played a bunch of these (Guacamelee, Xeodrifter, Shadow Complex, Shantae games, Teslagrad) on other platforms (3DS, WiiU, Steam)

Currently playing Axiom Verge on Vita though and might get Salt and Sanctuary next. Add me as a watcher!

Might see what I have through PS+ and replay those too.

Thanks for making this thread.

Ok, I have Apotheon, Shadow Complex, Strider and Xeodrifter from PSstore already, might do those after Axiom Verge and Salt and Sanctuary.

Welcome aboard, Watcher!  I would love to claim responsibility for this thread but I am merely taking over stewardship of a PP created by soultaker655. 

21 hours ago, aZombieDictator said:

Hmm. I say mise well add it. Super super easy but enjoyable and has heavy aspects of Metroidvania. And if Apotheon can be in here I'd say add it. Since Apotheon is probably easier or as easy to platinum. Also what about a Double Fine project platinum if it doesn't exist already since Headlander would be part of that.

Thanks for the feedback.  Regarding a Double Fine PP, it sounds like a solid idea to me.  A number of their games are part of the Point-and-Click PP but could probably be freed up.  I find the two I have taken on will keep me busy what with work and my own gaming but feel free to put forward the idea on the main message board PP General info and see if it flies.  Double Fine has a number of smaller titles without platinums as well which should be worked into the grading system as well given the limited number of platinums (six that I can think of at the moment).

Well, I would say as far as Steamworld Dig is concerned that if the Shantae games and Teslagrad are counted, so should that game. Shantae games for instance (besides Risky's Revenge) are not on one unified map and are divided in levels that you can revisit, which goes against the loose Metroidvania rules. Teslagrad is kind of a puzzle game in Metroidvania form, and the backtracking is minimal.

Steamworld Dig is all in one big map (underground cave) and there are upgrades that you need to find in order to advance, backtracking is part of the game and although it has many other game elements, I would say it definitely checks many of the Metroidvania boxes, and certainly scratches that itch.

If anybody else has played it and has an opinion, please feel free to disagree, or back me, I just think it's a really good game that people who love Metroidvanias would enjoy greatly.