How many here enjoyed FFXV?

Alantor32

On 7/1/2017 at 1:04 AM, bh_tornado said:

Think whatever you want to think, I think also that I was right regarding my first comment.

No, you're not right. You're just stating your opinion. Anyone who tries to turn their opinions into facts like you're doing is only trying to start a flame war. And calling people fanboys who liked games that you don't like is clearly offensive and there is something wrong with that.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I couldn't put it down! 

-Is the story fleshed out in-game? Nope, at least not nearly enough. 

-Is the combat perfect? Nope, but what it does right it does it damn well. 

-Are the side quests great or well implemented? Nope, but I did enjoy it going around for the first half of them quite a bit. (my biggest complaint with side quests, you can only do 1 at a time instead of gathering a bunch and going out. So there's a lot of back and forth) 

Do I recommend buying it? Yup! 

At $60? Yup! 

Now I haven't touched the dlcs or finished 100% of the quests because I'm waiting for everything to drop. This way I can do everything in 1 go instead of waiting months. 

Do I recommend waiting till everything drops? Yes. 

You'll get the full experience. 

Of course we don't know when that will be, so just keep your ears/eyes open for news on it. 

But that's just my opinion 

• Like 2

It's my fifth favorite FF in the franchise. I said it before on this site, I'll say it again -- it's behind games that would be easily on my list of top 10 games ever made, so I'm definitely not placing it that high, but it's very, very enjoyable for what it is. I went with the full immersion way of enjoying the story, which included watching the anime and movie before hand, but I can definitely understand someone not wanting to do 3 hours or so of homework beforehand to help follow along with the game's story.

I think what sets it back from being the best of the best is SE's incessant need to mimic some of the conventions that are mostly found in WRPGs, of which I'm mostly referring to the way they handled sidequests. The problem being is that there seems to be a lot of rookie mistakes, since a lot of these quests wouldn't even feel at home as a Misc. Objective in a Bethesda game, since 60 of them are relegated to the "Rescue" and "Car Repair" mission variety, which... well... really isn't a quest, since they are over in a matter of a minute if you have the right materials, and that's hardly a qualifier for meaningful side content. Personally would have just been happy if they cut the amount of "side content" in half to avoid running to these kinds of issues, and would have avoided pre-launch marketing as having "200 hours worth of content1!1!!1" if they were just going to have a lot of it repeat over and over again. The hunts, however, were a very welcome return and I was kind of disappointed that the trophy list only makes you do 2 of them, if we are including the "big one" post-game.

All in all, I think it's a great game, and I'm really saddened to see so many people hate this game (then again, my favorite FF is FFXII, so I'm not really a stranger to conflicting opinions with the masses on the internet, since that was almost equally as hated back in its day).

Edited by iamjax
  • Like 1

I certainly enjoyed the game a lot. I liked its characters, its world, its story, its gameplay. FFXV is not really one of the top FF games, I'm still placing FFIV, FFX and FFVII higher than FFXV, but it's still a very good game!

I personally couldn't care less that many of the games' sidequests are monotonous. I just loved how much the game has to explore, so many dungeons and pretty strong (secret) enemies that weren't part of the main story at all. I easily put 100h into FFXV (had the platinum after 60h) and I barely even scratched the hunts and the fishing!

I think most players, be it those that like FFXV and those who don't, can agree that SE could have done a better job on the storytelling. There is much background on Ardyn, the Gods, the Emperor and such missing from the main game. I personally think the story is very good for what it was. Yes, it leaves some questions unanswered, but I still understood all I needed to understand just fine. And Ardyn is definitely one of the most interesting FF endbosses (together with Sephiroth), since I find most of them are pretty forgettable.

Edited by ShadowStefan
  • Like 1

I had mixed feelings about this when I played it the first time. I really enjoyed the first half of the game that involved getting to know the main characters and getting to explore the large open world. I spent a lot of time in Chapters 3-4 completing side quests and taking in the sights instead of going back to the main story. I would say after they depart Regalia is where it starts to decline. Not to say that it was terrible by any means but it starts to become linear which was a big complaint I had about Final Fantasy XIII. Chapter 13 was just one long stealth segment that I'd rather not replay.

Story? I had a hard time following it. It seemed basic at the beginning with Noctis trying ti reunite with Luna but after she's found, it became complicated for me to follow. I didn't see the movie and additional content that came out before the game so that chunk of story is missing but I feel like it should have been in the game regardless. Another complaint is the character backgrounds. 

For the main cast, Noctis gets most of the focus while the other three get shafted midway through the story. I wasn't a fan of having to purchase DLC to get more background on the characters but I was optimistic to learn about Ignis, Prompto and Gladiolus (more so Iginis and Prompto). The execution of the Gladio DLC was nothing short of a letdown. The relationship between him and Cor could have been better explored and the final boss battle ended so abruptly that I was left with asking "what's next?" The lack of a proper resolution  for Gladio was undeserving for a character who needed one. This has put me off buying the Prompto DLC which is a shame because I have a hard time NOT liking him. His energetic and goofy personality grew on me and for someone who had a troubled past, he isn't all "oh woe is me...boo hoo" kind of guy. Without a doubt, he's one of my favorite characters from the game. The second would be Ignis. I like the sophistication he has. Suave, calm and intelligent but he has limits. His loyalty to Noctis is a welcome addition and his will to fight makes him a well developed character despite not getting much background on his early life...at least until the Ignis DLC comes out. Back to Noctis, while I really like him as a character , his personality isn't as strong or diverse as Ignis or Prompto, at least to me. He's good, but not as good as the other two. I felt his losses, understood his problems, and felt his kindness towards others but I just can't help the feeling that something is just missing from him. Perhaps it was seeing those cutscenes of him as a child that lack explanation? I don't know but he is certainly a step up in the personality department from Lightning. So for the four main cast, here is how I rank them.

1. Prompto

2. Ignis

3. Noctis

4. Gladiolus 

Now for the side cast and villains. I don't remember much of the side characters because they weren't given enough development to care about. Cindy is used well at the beginning but she really doesn't become much of an asset to the story for the second half of the game. I really wanted to see more of Lunafreya but all I got was just a few cutscenes showing her healing abilities and flashbacks with Noctis. I was NOT amused when she was killed off just as she was starting to emerge.The rest? Wish I could tell you the names but I couldn't. The villains suffered the same treatment with the exception of Ardyn. Compared to the previous game, this is a great improvement and is one of my favorite villains in recent years. What could I use to describe him? Cunning, devious, sarcastic, lustful. Those are the best words I could use. The way he toys with Noctis is hilarious and his inflated ego makes him chew the scenery a few times but it doesn't deter from his dark side. Strong overall and just a pleasure to watch on screen. 

To be honest, I really do like this game and I enjoyed it from the start to the end despite having to get through some annoying segments. The story could have been explained more and some characters needed more development but it was a great game overall and it has become a personal favorite of mine in the Final Fantasy series. 

Overall Ratings

Story - 7/10

Combat - 9/10

Graphics - 10/10

Content - 8/10

Main Characters - 7/10

Side Characters - 4/10

Villains - 5/10

Side Quests - 5/10

Extra Activities (Fishing, Cooking, etc..) - 7/10  

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed most parts of the game. I though the gameplay and story were alright.

Things I didn't enjoy so much:

The endless, mindless sidequests
For example the photo sidequests. I've had the guy send me back into a dungeon I'd already cleared before just because he wants a damn photo of the end of it. The same guy gave me sidequests that sends me to a place, I get there just as the evening falls, and ofcourse Prompto needs to whine about the lighting not being all that great. Make the damn photo you fool, it took me 10 minutes to get there and I don't want to go look for a resting point just to run back here again!

Then there's the guy that wants the ores... All the way across from the parking lot on the other side of the town on the docks. You basically never have to get all the way back there except for him and it's stupid, having to run the whole way to him every time. Even after fast travelling to his location.

And the search quests... Oh the search quests... Wasting half an hour trying to find some damn frogs or bear traps.

The sidequests are just bad. I don't mind keeping busy in a game with sidequests, I enjoyed it a lot more in the Witcher 3. But in FFXV they got stale after.... maybe 20? And you need 80 for the platinum...

Random encounters

The soldiers dropping on your head when you're fighting some strong enemies was annoying.

In the later chapters after you finished all the trophies and you just want to run past enemies to move the story along, those annoying team mates keep pulling you back because they have "a challenge" for you for the fight. Piss off Gladio, I don't want to break 2 monster's appendages. I don't need any of this crap. I destroy those guys with one warp strike anyway...

Travel

The fast travel system was stupidly convoluted.

Also... the way you get locked to a snail's pace when you're in a dungeon is horrendous. I'll decide how fast I'll move, thank you.

Spoiler

And the dungeon after Ignis loses his sight... For the love of god Gladio stop complaining sarcastically about going to fast. I just wanted to puch him in the face that entire dungeon. I regretted taking Ignis with me almost immediately, but that's what you get for trying to be a good friend and not excluding your handicapped team mate. I'm not even sure if you can keep him on the sideline for that bit...

Story was alright, I like how they did the last few chapters

Spoiler

where they went forward in time and everyone got older. Would have liked it if they would have given a bit more room to see some more characters in their aged states. Like Cindy and Iris. (Maybe I just didn't find them...).

So much for my little rant, but this was a pretty big stain on my enjoyment of the game. Still think it's a good 7.5/10 for me. I'm not the biggest JRPG fan, but I still enjoyed the game for what it is, and I'll probably get the DLC to play it some more once they get discounted at some point.

Edited by Ric