Playtonic facing backlash after the removal of YouTuber JonTron from the project.

ArmoredSnowman

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/yooka-laylee-kickstarter-backers-ask-for-refunds-while-devs-lock-threads/26997/

I don't know who JonTron is, nor do I care to, but this seems to have spurred from NeoGAF after Jon had publicly made some offensive comments. After his removal from Yooka, many backers of the game have taken to Kickstarter and Steam to attempt refunds. Personally, I don't really care and will probably still get the game, but massive controversy this close to release (April 11) is not good for any game or company. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

http://www.oneangrygamer.net/2017/03/yooka-laylee-kickstarter-backers-ask-for-refunds-while-devs-lock-threads/26997/

I don't know who JonTron is, nor do I care to, but this seems to have spurred from NeoGAF after Jon had publicly made some offensive comments. After his removal from Yooka, many backers of the game have taken to Kickstarter and Steam to attempt refunds. Personally, I don't really care and will probably still get the game, but massive controversy this close to release (April 11) is not good for any game or company. Thoughts? 

they will still sell well. JonTron had the right to say what he did. Mass immigration is a problem. regardless, the company is going to sell very well. JonTron even wants them to. 

Basically what happened was Jon debated some guy about politics, then I guess NeoGAF had to whine about it be the thought police they like to be inform the devs about it, because they disagree with him which got Jon kicked off. At least Jon is being a good sport about it, but I still think it's dumb for them to kick him off for that reason. It also doesn't help that Playtonic is also mocking Jon and his fans despite them being happy Jon was on board at first. You can find more info in the video below.

Spoiler

• Like 2

I do like Jontron, and Jontrons videos, but having him as a voice actor isn't what is selling the game for me. this game is the spiritual successor of Banjo-Kazooie. I loved that game and i love platformers. If you love the genre, love the game and what it is trying to do, then the voice actor shouldnt be a buy or selling point. also, they speak jibberish, so whats the point? still going to get this game, day one release. 

I think the lesson here is that developers should never hire or use online personalities in their games. Amateurs whose only claim to fame is Youtube typically don't have any desire to avoid controversy. Certainly there are some "traditional" celebrities who can't keep their big mouths shut, but at least it's in their own best interests to avoid controversy since that's the best way to keep getting work. Popular Youtubes will have a large amount of followers no matter what idiotic stuff they say, and is often what gets them followers in the first place. I think "traditional" media isn't doing enough research into a platform they don't truly understand (I'm not sure ANYBODY understands why these people are so popular, I certainly don't). This is now at least the second incident involving a Youtuber creating a PR disaster for a relationship with traditional media (e.g. the whole Disney/PewDiePie thing).

Associating your game, movie, etc. with "online celebrities" is a PR timebomb waiting to happen, and soon everyone will realize it's not worth the risk. 

I don't think this will affect sales of the game too much, at least I hope not. It's such a minor element of the game as others have said, and it should be obvious that game developers and publishers cannot afford to have any association with political statements that are even slightly controversial. 

Also, whatever happened to the commonly-held wisdom that politics, religion, and money are things you don't discuss at work? I think that extends to entertainment too. I don't need actors, game reviewers, and Youtube personalities sharing their views in those areas. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 4

I'm not entirely certain how Kickstarter works, but it was my understanding that backers are paying for the production of the game, not the game itself? That's why you can donate, like, $5 to a campaign and get a wallpaper or your name in the credits, but not the game itself? In that case, backers got what they paid for - the creation of the game - so there's no reason for them to get their money back.

This thread is fairly reminiscent of the discussion on /v/ right now. You can't even mention the game without it being a shitflinging contest between both sides of this stupid argument and people retroactively hating it now because of the JonTron thing. Personally I don't give a shit and will probably play it seeing as how I desperately want 3D platformers to come back (barring Mario, obviously. I mean to say obviously Mario still gets 3D platformers) and don't really care about people's personal politics (especially seeing as how this is probably the most apolitical game possible). JonTron was a fuckwit for saying that shit but was quite understanding at least, and Playtonic/Team 17 probably should have just dropped him and left it at that without shitstirring some of the fans, but like I said it won't influence my purchase at all. I just lament that it's become another casualty in the stupid /pol/tards vs SJWs war. 

• Like 2

Isn't he just some YouTuber asshole anyway? Who the hell would buy a game solely because some guy on YouTube voices a couple of lines in it? And likewise, who the hell would avoid a game solely because some guy on YouTube voices a couple of lines in it?

10 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Isn't he just some YouTuber asshole anyway? Who the hell would buy a game solely because some guy on YouTube voices a couple of lines in it? And likewise, who the hell would avoid a game solely because some guy on YouTube voices a couple of lines in it?

Probably for the same reason people boycott entire companies due to the opinion of one person.

Everyone who's mad over the 10 second audio clip being removed are lunatics. IMO, the real problem with YL is the horrible way Nintendo owners are getting treated, with the lack of a physical release, the Switch version not being released on the same day as the other systems (Despite that being a stretch goal) and the Wii U cancellation excuse. People's priorities nowadays are just screwed up, and TBH if I wasn't pissed at how they're sending the switch version to die I'd probably preorder the PS4 version to spite those making a mountain out of a molehill out of this.

I mean, come on guys, JT already wished them the best with their launch and doesn't seem to really care about getting upset at them, so why the insane anger from hate groups/sensitive individuals?

• Like 1

On 02/04/2017 at 3:41 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I don't think you realise how much influence these "youtuber assholes" have nowadays. A lot of them have huge audiences. Just look at someone like Pewdiepie with his 54 million subscribers. All things considered, I think it's a little strange how you talk down to them like that. Places like YouTube are killing old media off whether you like it or not.

I doubt people were buying the game solely because he voiced a character in it. I think their decision to seek a refund is more because of their political beliefs and they don't agree with the reasons Playtonic gave for removing him from the game.

• Like 2

I don't think it has anything to do with "youtube asshole". Both sides are acting like children now. It's ridiculous for JonTron to lose his position in the game based on his opinions, provided they don't extend to legal hate speech (which they didn't). It's equally stupid to boycott a game that you want to buy because the developer exercises its right (however frivolously) to remove someone based on his private views.

I don't understand how one is justified, and the other isn't. The question remains the same: do you want the game?

14 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I don't think you realise how much influence these "youtuber assholes" have nowadays. A lot of them have huge audiences. Just look at someone like Pewdiepie with his 54 million subscribers. All things considered, I think it's a little strange how you talk down to them like that. Places like YouTube are killing old media off whether you like it or not.

I doubt people were buying the game solely because he voiced a character in it. I think their decision to seek a refund is more because of their political beliefs and they don't agree with the reasons Playtonic gave for removing him from the game.

I do. I'm not talking down to them either, I call everyone an asshole, it's like me calling someone dude. And I'm all for old media being fucked off, the last time I watched broadcast TV was literally longer back than I can remember. But, as for Pewd's 54 mil fans, I mean, they're not an army, most of them would just watch bits and bobs here and there of him and wouldn't care less about his dealings, the amount of hardcore fans he has that would buy anything with him in it, I'd be genuinely surprised if there was more than a few thousand.

Even that, I mean, I would get it, but like, generally speaking, most people will at some point do something I don't agree with and me missing out on a game I'd have otherwise loved out of spite just confuses me. If anything, I'd be like, well, I'll be sure to buy this sucker preowned.

I don't know who Jontron is and I don't care. I haven't heard the comments that started this all and I don't care enough to find out if it's actually racist or not.

I feel like any company has the right to discontinue a partnership with an employee if said employee makes public statements the company does not approve of. If the game had been out for a year and they'd still remove him through a patch, that would be a bit sketchier but I have no issues with how it went.

I say the company has the right to do this every time. Like Charlie Sheen being fired from Two And A Half Men after his public displays, Megan Fox being fired from Transformers after comparing Bay to Hitler in an interview... On the other end of the spectrum, when Tommy Chong had to go to jail for drugs stuff he asked if he would be fired from That 70's Show and he was basically told that that would be hypocritical since his character is a druggie, and he was welcomed back afterwards immediately. Whatever the company feels like about public displays of its employees, should be respected - it's their product, after all.

JonTron came out and said he respects the decision they made and wished them luck on the launch. Sure he could be doing hate towards them in private chats or posts but beyond this all the hate has come from social media followers who just jumped on the support JonTron train. Half of these members were not backers of the project, but like to follow the sheep and do what everyone one does.

I brought this game and was always going to no matter who was in the game or not, and besides the AAA reviewers who wanted perfect this game has been getting a positive reaction because it is basically what we wanted a banjo and kazooie type game, right to the style and wacky humor.

• Like 2