my PS3 Controller broken?

PaperMonkeyBoy

I bought a rip-off PS3 controller a few weeks ago, came last Saturday, last night it didn't turn off, all 4 LED red lights are on, solid, not blinking, Iv'e left it on for about 15 hours to let the battery die, nothing, It worked just fine last night, is it because it's a ripoff, or do I need to buy a new one?

EDIT: I just let the controller run out of battery and now that I powered it back on it's fine.

Edited by PaperMonkeyBoy

This is why you buy the official branded ones, 2 year warranty+store warranty will cost you less in the long run over buying knock off ones. Have you tried plugging the controller in and pressing the PS button to turn the system on?

Edited by SnowxSakura

5 minutes ago, PaperMonkeyBoy said:

I knew it was a rip-off, I just expected it to actually.. work.

Knock-offs aren't really designed to work. They are made very cheaply to be sold at a lower price than the item they are knocking-off to make people think they have found a bargain. Knock-offs don't need to have brand loyalty for returning customers because they are imitating another brand. When you have bought a knock-off you are risking it not working any and every time you use it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PaperMonkeyBoy said:

I bought a rip-off PS3 controller a few weeks ago, came last Saturday, last night it didn't turn off, all 4 LED red lights are on, solid, not blinking, Iv'e left it on for about 15 hours to let the battery die, nothing, It worked just fine last night, is it because it's a ripoff, or do I need to buy a new one?

I'd say it is because its a knock off, I had a knock off PS1 memory card that lasted less than a month.

To answer your question, if it doesn't seem to be functioning and the store you bought it from doesn't have a return policy, you would be better buying a new one.  Maybe try one of your local game stores as sometimes they have refurbished Sony branded controllers.

17 minutes ago, PaperMonkeyBoy said:

Does it work while plugged in with USB? I bought some rip-off controllers that came in what seemed like real package once that acted like this. It also had terrible sticks, not with full axis control, but had as bad sensor as the d-pad. Luckily I bought them from someone near where I lived, and let's just say I did contact him a bit threateningly and demanded to get my money back, and did so! ;p I think this guy was ripped off in the first place. :P 

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

It's hard to find a real Playstation 3 controller for over a year now. In our house all our many DS3's are practically no good, and have to use DS4's on PS3, which isn't great for every game. So far we've not bought any other controller, but choice being so limited ... it's not a far off option for getting a rip-off one at some point.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Soneto said:

Why would you buy a rip-off controller in the first place? :facepalm:

Maybe because I can't afford a real PS3 controller..?

6 minutes ago, marvelboy10 said:

Do you have a PS4 controller? If you do then you can use that as a controller for the PS3 and hopefully not experience any issues. Lesson of the day. Never buy a rip-off PS3 controller. 

I don't use it for my PS3, I use it for PC.

22 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Does it work while plugged in with USB? I bought some rip-off controllers that came in what seemed like real package once that acted like this. It also had terrible sticks, not with full axis control, but had as bad sensor as the d-pad. Luckily I bought them from someone near where I lived, and let's just say I did contact him a bit threateningly and demanded to get my money back, and did so! ;p I think this guy was ripped off in the first place. :P 

And no, it doesn't work at all. I'm waiting for the battery to finally die.

3 minutes ago, PaperMonkeyBoy said:

And no, it doesn't work at all. I'm waiting for the battery to finally die.

A trick to turn the PS3 controllers off is to hold down the PS button for like 5 or 10 seconds or something. See if that works with your fake too. Maybe it afterwards help trying to connect it with USB to the PS3 and then turn it on after a little while?

Edited by MMDE

52 minutes ago, Caesar Clown said:

Does it have a reset switch? Wireless products almost always tend to have a tiny pin-sized hole in them that will reset them, which might solve the problem when you turn it off again.

I tried this, theres a little hole but in it theres no reset button, lol.

8 minutes ago, PaperMonkeyBoy said:

Read the posts, I can't afford actual controllers.

Have you tried looking at a pawn shop? One of my local ones have controllers for $20 or so pretty often. You will just have to take it as a lesson not to buy knock off stuff. I have been got a few times too. I remember I bought some headphones online that were supposed to be Apple Headphones. When they came they looked just like the Apple pair but the speaker quality was horrible, the casing was super cheap plastic and the mic that came attached didn't even work to mute to change volume. Then when I was younger I bought a knock off of an expensive brand guitar to try and save a few $100. The guitar was ok but had some pretty glaring issues that would have cost more to fix than I paid for it, according to the luthier I saw. I ended up taking $500 out of my next check and buying one from a reputable company and the build quality is night and day.

Moral of the story and queue the broken record-Don't buy knock offs. The price might seem good but you will have buyers remorse quickly. Just save your money until you have enough to get a real one. It will also help teach you to save money.

• Like 2