PS+ Games April 2017

MesopithecusUK

Wow, now I also have the possibility to complain about a game being part of PS+ that I bought just recently (LiaDS), but I won't. I was a bit pissed off at first but I see it positive:
The game is rather quriky and I think that many people won't continue to play it after the tutorial so the trophies will get a huge drop (or increase, depending on personal view) in rarity. xD I for myself have to say that I enjoyed the ~30 minutes I played so far although it's not easy to coordinate with two players only as there are just too many tasks you have to think about (moving the spaceship, using one of the 4+ turrets, holding up the shield, etc.)

Besides that, there's no game of interest for me in the PS+-lineup which is good so I can concentrate on the new releases of next month (Yooka-Laylee, Full Throttle, Wonderboy).

10 hours ago, baypoo said:

Crank the difficulty to max and it actually IS hard. But overall, it's an easy plat if you've got a buddy nearby. Just be ready to yell at each other about who's NOT piloting the ship away from the explosion fast enough as you retry the mission...AGAIN. 

Set the difficulty to max? Are you nuts? We already have problems coordinating ourselves in the first part of the first level. xD But otherwise I totally agree with you.

9 hours ago, Crimson Idol said:

Wow, now I also have the possibility to complain about a game being part of PS+ that I bought just recently (LiaDS), but I won't. I was a bit pissed off at first but I see it positive:
The game is rather quriky and I think that many people won't continue to play it after the tutorial so the trophies will get a huge drop (or increase, depending on personal view) in rarity. xD I for myself have to say that I enjoyed the ~30 minutes I played so far although it's not easy to coordinate with two players only as there are just too many tasks you have to think about (moving the spaceship, using one of the 4+ turrets, holding up the shield, etc.)

Besides that, there's no game of interest for me in the PS+-lineup which is good so I can concentrate on the new releases of next month (Yooka-Laylee, Full Throttle, Wonderboy).

Set the difficulty to max? Are you nuts? We already have problems coordinating ourselves in the first part of the first level. xD But otherwise I totally agree with you.

I just about died when I remembered Yooka-Laylee and Wonderboy. Excitement!

I really meant that the plat itself is easy (on normal or easy mode most of the way through). As far as how to push through the game on 2 player, I would just say that you have to assign a pilot/gunner and a shield/gunner. Gunners need to favor the side where their shield or piloting station is (this matters more on some ships than others). 

There's really only two tactics in the game when you've got two people: 1) Stay and fight. 2) Run and have someone position the shield to block fire. There's a shit ton of nuance (like having the environment on one side so you don't get flanked, having shields on the opposite side of the direction you are moving, driving the ship INTO smaller enemies so you can avoid large enemy fire). 

I would also suggest to try to get ALL the bunnies in the first few levels so you can start upgrading the ship to have more sockets for gems.

Last piece of advice: Don't be afraid to play on Easy. I think Expert is truly for those with more than 2 players, LOL...and those who like pain. 

Edited by baypoo
typos!
  • Like 1

Rinse and repeat every month.

You have your people that will enjoy the month. (Albeit they are the vocal minority)
You have your people that won't give a fuck about the month, because they have games that they paid for to get through.
You have your people that find the month absolutely shit because game of the century Knack isn't the free PS4 offering.
You have your keyboard tough guys complaining and acting like Sony is personally pissing them off with a lackluster offering, so they threaten to cancel their membership.
You have your people that react to the above by saying not to get mad about free games.
You have your people that vehemently remind you that they're not free because it costs money to maintain your subscription, ergo free* games.
You have your people whine about already owning blah blah blah.

Did I cover it all? Can't wait for a copy/paste for the months to come.

Edited by Valyrious
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Valyrious said:

You have your people that will enjoy the month. (Albeit they are the vocal minority)
You have your people that won't give a fuck about the month, because they have games that they paid for to get through.
You have your people that find the month absolutely shit because game of the century Knack isn't the free PS4 offering.
You have your keyboard tough guys complaining and acting like Sony is personally pissing them off with a lackluster offering, so they threaten to cancel their membership.
You have your people that react to the above by saying not to get mad about free games.
You have your people that vehemently remind you that they're not free because it costs money to maintain your subscription, ergo free* games.

funny thing is if knack ever does come to plus, people will still find a way to complain.

On 3/29/2017 at 4:06 PM, baypoo said:

As someone who bought Lovers last year, I would say it is definitely NOT in everyone's wheelhouse. If you have a buddy (or significant other) who misses the days of really chaotic couch co-op, it really is something different and worth some of your time...especially now that it will be free. Crank the difficulty to max and it actually IS hard. But overall, it's an easy plat if you've got a buddy nearby. Just be ready to yell at each other about who's NOT piloting the ship away from the explosion fast enough as you retry the mission...AGAIN. 

Good couch co-op is very old school, niche, and, for at least some consoles, almost absent. Obligatory soapbox sermonizing following obligatory shitting on ps plus free titles concluded. 

how hard is the plat if you play solo?

11 hours ago, Valyrious said:

7 hours ago, Kubanga said:

I wish sony would give us a cheaper ps plus option for just the multiplayer. 5 bucks less per month or something like that, then the money from not getting these trash games could be used on a game people actually want.

You forgot one @Valyrious, the ones who keep asking for PS+ to have separate options. Oh yeah, also the ones who are not just pissed because they have a game, but pissed because they bought it in "the last sale", a phrase that always returns in these threads.

By the way, weird how the people who don't like the games always assume that nobody could ever like these offerings.

7 hours ago, jaehyun1009 said:

funny thing is if knack ever does come to plus, people will still find a way to complain.

how hard is the plat if you play solo?

The AI does a good job for the most part, but when you get to certain trophies (like beating the first boss without taking damage or completely mapping a whole level) it can get hard AND tiresome. Luckily, you can play on Beginner mode for a majority of the trophies--but it's still rough with just you by your lonesome. You will probably need a second controller for some random things (like doing the dumb pirouette with your partner repeatedly). It's doable. Maybe rate it a 4 or 5 out of 10 for difficulty. 

14 hours ago, baypoo said:

I just about died when I remembered Yooka-Laylee and Wonderboy. Excitement!

I really meant that the plat itself is easy (on normal or easy mode most of the way through). As far as how to push through the game on 2 player, I would just say that you have to assign a pilot/gunner and a shield/gunner. Gunners need to favor the side where their shield or piloting station is (this matters more on some ships than others). 

There's really only two tactics in the game when you've got two people: 1) Stay and fight. 2) Run and have someone position the shield to block fire. There's a shit ton of nuance (like having the environment on one side so you don't get flanked, having shields on the opposite side of the direction you are moving, driving the ship INTO smaller enemies so you can avoid large enemy fire). 

I would also suggest to try to get ALL the bunnies in the first few levels so you can start upgrading the ship to have more sockets for gems.

Last piece of advice: Don't be afraid to play on Easy. I think Expert is truly for those with more than 2 players, LOL...and those who like pain. 

Thanks for the tip. Like mentioned in my first post we only played it for 30 minutes but already sticked to the tactic that I moved the ship and my girlfriend kept up the shield. Problem is that we didn't realize that enemies would spawn continuously so kept in one place killing every enemy thought everything was done for good and later on new enemies started to spawn. I guess it will take a few levels before we get used to the game and it's mechanics. But overall we liked it and even though it's totally unrelated it gave me a good Electronic Super Joy-vibe. ^_^

43 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

You forgot one @Valyrious, the ones who keep asking for PS+ to have separate options. Oh yeah, also the ones who are not just pissed because they have a game, but pissed because they bought it in "the last sale", a phrase that always returns in these threads.

By the way, weird how the people who don't like the games always assume that nobody could ever like these offerings.

Weird how people for some reason don't bat a eye at Sony for pawning off Indies every month which usually don't work by the way cough Ether One cough. Sony has just been lazy with ps plus for a long time now. They just put out cheap indie games now since the ps4 is ahead of the Xbox 1 and probably will be for the rest of this gen, meanwhile Xbox offers decent AAA games every month just like Sony used to do when the ps3 was getting fucked up by the 360. Funny how that works... Its alright though, i've come to expect this stuff every month.

12 hours ago, Valyrious said:

You forgot the person who capitalizes on likes by making generic and/or sarcastic comments. I'm talking about myself of course :P

Edited by kuuhaku
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kubanga said:

Weird how people for some reason don't bat a eye at Sony for pawning off Indies every month which usually don't work by the way cough Ether One cough. Sony has just been lazy with ps plus for a long time now. They just put out cheap indie games now since the ps4 is ahead of the Xbox 1 and probably will be for the rest of this gen, meanwhile Xbox offers decent AAA games every month just like Sony used to do when the ps3 was getting fucked up by the 360. Funny how that works... Its alright though, i've come to expect this stuff every month.

That you don't like these games doesn't mean nobody likes them. Crapping on indies just because they're not backed by a major studio is stupid. Yeah there's the misses like Ether One but there's also hits (for me) like Deadly Tower Of Monsters, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Velocity 2X, Ultratron, Monsterbag, Luftrausers, Counterspy, Chariot, This War Of Mine, Journey...

I could go on. As I've said before, I've had PS+ for almost three years now and I've played and enjoyed at least one PS+ game every month, with the exception of one single month - the one with Gone Home, which was on my wish list before but which I was disappointed with in the end, with Echochrome which I like but already owned and four other games which I did not care for. That's literally the only month where I didn't play and enjoy at least one game.

As I and many others have said, there are those of us who prefer these unknown games to the AAA drab that comes out on the Xbox side. I've had an X360 before my PS4, and I've had GwG for two years. All those GwG games were stuff I either already had, or did not care for. That's the problem with AAA games; anyone who really wants them probably already has them. I prefer to get the games I didn't know about before so I can give them a try. Never would have bought This War Of Mine myself but I tried it last week and it's a great game.

And for the record, I don't enjoy online multiplayer. I buy PS+ specifically for the games, just like I bought Xbox Gold for the GwG games. I dropped GwG like a brick, I've kept checking the months but they never have a game that I actually would like to play and don't already have. My PS+ expires soon but I will definitely renew it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

That you don't like these games doesn't mean nobody likes them. Crapping on indies just because they're not backed by a major studio is stupid. Yeah there's the misses like Ether One but there's also hits (for me) like Deadly Tower Of Monsters, Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Velocity 2X, Ultratron, Monsterbag, Luftrausers, Counterspy, Chariot, This War Of Mine, Journey...

I could go on. As I've said before, I've had PS+ for almost three years now and I've played and enjoyed at least one PS+ game every month, with the exception of one single month - the one with Gone Home, which was on my wish list before but which I was disappointed with in the end, with Echochrome which I like but already owned and four other games which I did not care for. That's literally the only month where I didn't play and enjoy at least one game.

As I and many others have said, there are those of us who prefer these unknown games to the AAA drab that comes out on the Xbox side. I've had an X360 before my PS4, and I've had GwG for two years. All those GwG games were stuff I either already had, or did not care for. That's the problem with AAA games; anyone who really wants them probably already has them. I prefer to get the games I didn't know about before so I can give them a try. Never would have bought This War Of Mine myself but I tried it last week and it's a great game.

And for the record, I don't enjoy online multiplayer. I buy PS+ specifically for the games, just like I bought Xbox Gold for the GwG games. I dropped GwG like a brick, I've kept checking the months but they never have a game that I actually would like to play and don't already have. My PS+ expires soon but I will definitely renew it.

I don't hate Indies. I've played a few good Indies (Payday the Heist, Apotheon, CounterSpy to name a few but all I'm saying is why can't they just mix it up? Plus they raised the price of of plus and I've yet to see a improvement to anything really. Like I said I don't hate Indies and if you guys like them then cool but it would be nice if they were to mix it up a bit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kubanga said:

I don't hate Indies. I've played a few good Indies (Payday the Heist, Apotheon, CounterSpy to name a few but all I'm saying is why can't they just mix it up? Plus they raised the price of of plus and I've yet to see a improvement to anything really. Like I said I don't hate Indies and if you guys like them then cool but it would be nice if they were to mix it up a bit. 

Glad that you're explaining your opinion a bit more, your previous post felt very "indies just suck".

First: they raised the price for the US but not for the other regions. You're now finally more or less paying as much as the EU has been paying for years. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered by a little bit of a price increase, games themselves are getting more expensive as well after all and PS+ has six games each month instead of four. Would you be okay with getting more AAA games if it meant cutting a Vita spot from the line-up? (Personally I wouldn't mind but as different people have different opinions, I know of a few PS4-hating Vita-lovers on this site who would get very angry)

It's true that PS+ has less AAA games than before the PS4 (when it was still four games a month), but it's not like we're never getting AAA games... March had Tearaway Unfolded, which might not be a huge game but it's technically an AAA game (one which I didn't even had yet but I did want it so win-win for both our sides). The month before that was LittleBigPlanet3, which I personally do not think I will care for but it's an AAA game that many were looking out for to get through PS+. Checking the IGC list... the two months before that did not have an AAA game, but November had DiRT3, October had three AAA games (Resident Evil, Mad Riders, Transformers: Devastation). I have to scroll back to March last year before getting another month without any AAA game. Technically in InviZimals, this month has an AAA as well as Sony is the publisher. The last AAA game on PS+ I really loved and didn't have yet was Tropico 5, by the way.

It's true that the AAA titles on sale are not always very recent, but let's look at GwG next month:

X360: Darksiders (PS+ back in 2012) and Assassin's Creed Revelations (I've had that ever since it was released)

X1: Ryse (Microsoft exclusive from 2013, also mèh) and The Walking Dead S2 (PS+ in 2015)

I'm not saying PS+ is perfect. Last month I was super excited for more than one game was last November. I am saying that PS+ is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be though and if people get past the "it's not AA and I don't know that title", they would often find at least one game they would like if only they tried it. I'm also saying that a maximum of one, maybe two AAA games combined with lesser known titles is better than an all-AAA line-up like GwG because most people that really care for these well-known titles, will have played them already.

9 hours ago, baypoo said:

The AI does a good job for the most part, but when you get to certain trophies (like beating the first boss without taking damage or completely mapping a whole level) it can get hard AND tiresome. Luckily, you can play on Beginner mode for a majority of the trophies--but it's still rough with just you by your lonesome. You will probably need a second controller for some random things (like doing the dumb pirouette with your partner repeatedly). It's doable. Maybe rate it a 4 or 5 out of 10 for difficulty. 

I do have a second controller, but if what you say is true I might look for online partners to do this with if I ever decide to go of the plat

Just now, jaehyun1009 said:

I do have a second controller, but if what you say is true I might look for online partners to do this with if I ever decide to go of the plat

Is there online MP? I thought it was just couch co-op, but I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, I think I'll be playing this with my wife. I like the idea of the yelling that will happen.

12 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Is there online MP? I thought it was just couch co-op, but I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, I think I'll be playing this with my wife. I like the idea of the yelling that will happen.

If there's no online, I might look at share play, although admittedly I don't know how that affects trophies.

On 29/03/2017 at 5:04 PM, kuuhaku said:

Obligatory "this list is terrible games with gold is better" post.

It needed to be said and is, yet again, very true. The games XBOne get may be oldies but they top most of the indie shovelware we mostly receive. 

9 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Glad that you're explaining your opinion a bit more, your previous post felt very "indies just suck".

First: they raised the price for the US but not for the other regions. You're now finally more or less paying as much as the EU has been paying for years. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered by a little bit of a price increase, games themselves are getting more expensive as well after all and PS+ has six games each month instead of four. Would you be okay with getting more AAA games if it meant cutting a Vita spot from the line-up? (Personally I wouldn't mind but as different people have different opinions, I know of a few PS4-hating Vita-lovers on this site who would get very angry)

It's true that PS+ has less AAA games than before the PS4 (when it was still four games a month), but it's not like we're never getting AAA games... March had Tearaway Unfolded, which might not be a huge game but it's technically an AAA game (one which I didn't even had yet but I did want it so win-win for both our sides). The month before that was LittleBigPlanet3, which I personally do not think I will care for but it's an AAA game that many were looking out for to get through PS+. Checking the IGC list... the two months before that did not have an AAA game, but November had DiRT3, October had three AAA games (Resident Evil, Mad Riders, Transformers: Devastation). I have to scroll back to March last year before getting another month without any AAA game. Technically in InviZimals, this month has an AAA as well as Sony is the publisher. The last AAA game on PS+ I really loved and didn't have yet was Tropico 5, by the way.

It's true that the AAA titles on sale are not always very recent, but let's look at GwG next month:

X360: Darksiders (PS+ back in 2012) and Assassin's Creed Revelations (I've had that ever since it was released)

X1: Ryse (Microsoft exclusive from 2013, also mèh) and The Walking Dead S2 (PS+ in 2015)

I'm not saying PS+ is perfect. Last month I was super excited for more than one game was last November. I am saying that PS+ is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be though and if people get past the "it's not AA and I don't know that title", they would often find at least one game they would like if only they tried it. I'm also saying that a maximum of one, maybe two AAA games combined with lesser known titles is better than an all-AAA line-up like GwG because most people that really care for these well-known titles, will have played them already.

The problem with that comparison is that it is just one month you are looking at. Admittedly, this month's GwG isn't the best but, despite PS+ already having three of those titles it is a better line up, something Microsoft can generally say month on month.

I also like the occasional indie game now and then but, as the OP states, Sony need to mix it up and offer more in the way of AAA. I do the even mind that they could be ones I've already played, its good to see others get the chance to play those classics. If they offer more AAA I know that even if there were games I had played there would be a few that I haven't but Sony seem intent on the business strategy of purchasing games that give them more profit (by purchasing games cheaply) rather than giving the consumer satisfaction.

The main game this month is also a joke, it was previously meant to be a free to play title and now we get it as a PS + offering. Despicable business practice.