Andromeda: Why people really hate it

Well yes, there are legitimate reasons why people dislike Andromeda. But you also have to count in the whole internet hate bandwagon phenomena as well.   

Plus 5 years in development and this is the outcome for a $60 (or more) game is not going to sit well with people, especially with how many other fantastic games came out this first quarter. Andromeda definitely sticks out like a sore thumb in that respect, especially considering its pedigree. The problem is this game was developed by a C-tier studio whose only experience with Mass Effect was the multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. And it shows.

I'm sure the game is still enjoyable and the actual gameplay I've seen looks really fun. But story, memorable characters, and immersion were also big points in why people played Mass Effect that people did not just see coming from Andromeda. But like I said, I'm sure it's still a fun game (it got GOOD reviews) but better suited at a heavily discounted price tag at this point.

The best thing to take out of this is if they ever decide to make a sequel (which I'm sure they will) they can only go but up from here and learn from past mistakes or maybe even get Bioware Edmonton assistance in the next one.

16 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

For everything it does wrong, it does something amazing as well. But it seems the reviewers are all choosing to ignore that aspect of it. The core gameplay, the leveling system, the world design, the level design, the gear system, all leaps and bounds better then in the original trilogy. It truely is a shame that people choose to overlook the good and focus on the bad.

Even the story and characters were better then they were in ME1 IMO. Liam and Cora are infinitely more interesting then Kaiden and Ashley. Drack is way more badass then Wrex. Hell, even Archon made Saren look like a peon and the Kett's ultimate goal was way more sinister.

And people can talk about bugs all they want but I had more issues in the first hour of 3 then I had in my entire run of Andromeda lol.

Honestly, I think a lot of reviewers are biased on this one. It's been proven before that reviewers will blindly agree with the first big reviewer to have a review out, for risk of losing mutual subs. People have had their careers crumble for disagreeing with AngryJoe or Pewdiepie before. Considering the first big reviewer for this game was the internet as a whole, based off of a few early, out of context images. The threat of losing everything for disagreeing was on a whole new level with this one. The whole review system is broken and I for one really wish people would just learn to make their own decisions instead of listening to the opinion of someone with a paycheck on the line.

ME1 also had more barren empty planets to explore, way worse side-quests, the mako, among other issues, not to mention the story that takes a real long time to get somewhat interesting, but still isn't anything special. I don't think andromeda is better than ME2, but it is way better than ME1 and 3, plus the jump jets and extremely flexible leveling/power system is nice.

Edited by SnowxSakura
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

For everything it does wrong, it does something amazing as well. But it seems the reviewers are all choosing to ignore that aspect of it. The core gameplay, the leveling system, the world design, the level design, the gear system, all leaps and bounds better then in the original trilogy. It truely is a shame that people choose to overlook the good and focus on the bad.

Even the story and characters were better then they were in ME1 IMO. Liam and Cora are infinitely more interesting then Kaiden and Ashley. Drack is way more badass then Wrex. Hell, even Archon made Saren look like a peon and the Kett's ultimate goal was way more sinister.

And people can talk about bugs all they want but I had more issues in the first hour of 3 then I had in my entire run of Andromeda lol.

Honestly, I think a lot of reviewers are biased on this one. It's been proven before that reviewers will blindly agree with the first big reviewer to have a review out, for risk of losing mutual subs. People have had their careers crumble for disagreeing with AngryJoe or Pewdiepie before. Considering the first big reviewer for this game was the internet as a whole, based off of a few early, out of context images. The threat of losing everything for disagreeing was on a whole new level with this one. The whole review system is broken and I for one really wish people would just learn to make their own decisions instead of listening to the opinion of someone with a paycheck on the line.

As soon as i heard about Andromeda, there was no doubt i was gonna get it. Was i worried it wouldnt live up to the original? yeah i mean how do you top that? but it didnt stop me from trying it.

• Like 1

After the first 10 hours of pretty exciting gameplay, i removed my rose-tinted glasses and realized all the things i didn't like about it. Gameplay alone isn't enough to carry something like Mass Effect.

My space opera RPG itch is easily scratched, but andromeda certainly isn't up for the task. 

• Like 2

I finished the game this Saturday and I really enjoyed it.

• Yes, there are some weird animations, although during most of the game I wouldn't have notice.
  • Yes, some secondary missions are repetitive, but a lot of them are good.
  • I didn't even tried the character customisation as I played as default Sara Ryder and she was lovely.
  • I haven't played the multiplayer
  • I did not found almost any glitch (the game froze a couple of times and the person I was talking to, disappeared sometimes).
  • I found the story and the characters very good and enjoyable (Jaal, Cora and Peebee specially).
  • World and level design was great too.
  • Combat was fun and not repetitive.

So, in my opinion and in my case, it was money well invested (I played it for about 50 hours).

Have a nice day!

• Like 3

Whatever your thoughts on the game are, I think most people agree that this is the worst entry in the Mass Effect series. I'd even go so far to say that it's Bioware's worst RPG to date. Of course, their other RPG's have all been great, so saying that isn't exactly a condemnation. As a lapsed Mass Effect fan myself, it's sad to see what the series has become. I was really hoping Andromeda could rekindle my love for the series, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

6 hours ago, Nishikino Maki said:

People still being pissy about ME3's ending are just big babies.

Hmmm, I don't think so. If a company does something you don't agree with to the point where you threaten to boycott their future games and what not, I think it's good that people follow through with that. At the end of the day, these companies only care about money, so voting with your wallets is the only viable course of action to make them listen. Actions speak louder than words. I complained about ME3's ending back in the day and I certainly didn't rush out to buy this game on day one. I know Andromeda isn't a bad game, but I've been burned one too many times by EA in the past. I'll buy the game a few years down the line when it's much cheaper.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Whatever your thoughts on the game are, I think most people agree that this is the worst entry in the Mass Effect series. I'd even go so far to say that it's Bioware's worst RPG to date. Of course, their other RPG's have all been great, so saying that isn't exactly a condemnation. As a lapsed Mass Effect fan myself, it's sad to see what the series has become. I was really hoping Andromeda could rekindle my love for the series, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Hmmm, I don't think so. If a company does something you don't agree with to the point where you threaten to boycott their future games and what not, I think it's good that people follow through with that. At the end of the day, these companies only care about money, so voting with your wallets is the only viable course of action to make them listen. Actions speak louder than words. I complained about ME3's ending back in the day and I certainly didn't rush out to buy this game on day one. I know Andromeda isn't a bad game, but I've been burned one too many times by EA in the past. I'll buy the game a few years down the line when it's much cheaper.

Man, we are in complete simpatico. However, I can't disagree with much of the initial post. Andromeda was necessarily going to pay for some of the sins of its predecessor, so if it didn't knock your socks off, it was going to get smashed. 

Compare this with Dragon Age: Inquisition. Although I love DA2, even I freely admit there is much wrong with it, and I fully understand why people dislike it. However, Bioware brought the goods for Inquisition; it's one of the single best experiences I've ever had playing a game. I don't get that feeling with Andromeda, though. From reviews (which I clearly admit might be hearsay), Andromeda magnifies the components I care less about (MP, combat experience), and minimizes the reason I want to play the ME series (story, characterization). I'm not the story hound I used to be for RPGs (mostly, because JRPGs have done so poorly in this regard), but Bioware grabbed me with ME and ME2, and I want more of that universe, if not of those characters. Andromeda doesn't seem to deliver at all on that front.

Still, when it's cheap, I'll give it a whirl.

8 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Man, we are in complete simpatico. However, I can't disagree with much of the initial post. Andromeda was necessarily going to pay for some of the sins of its predecessor, so if it didn't knock your socks off, it was going to get smashed. 

Compare this with Dragon Age: Inquisition. Although I love DA2, even I freely admit there is much wrong with it, and I fully understand why people dislike it. However, Bioware brought the goods for Inquisition; it's one of the single best experiences I've ever had playing a game. I don't get that feeling with Andromeda, though. From reviews (which I clearly admit might be hearsay), Andromeda magnifies the components I care less about (MP, combat experience), and minimizes the reason I want to play the ME series (story, characterization). I'm not the story hound I used to be for RPGs (mostly, because JRPGs have done so poorly in this regard), but Bioware grabbed me with ME and ME2, and I want more of that universe, if not of those characters. Andromeda doesn't seem to deliver at all on that front.

Still, when it's cheap, I'll give it a whirl.

I can't say I was a big fan of Inquisition. The game maps felt really empty, most of the side quests are what you'd find in a typical MMO, and I didn't much care for any of the characters. I think a game like The Witcher 3 blows it out of the water. Having said that, it was still a decent game and had its good points. It's better than DA2 at least, although Origins is still my favourite entry in the series.

But yeah, I agree. Andromeda feels like they were focusing on the wrong things. I'm sure the gameplay is great, but that's not why I play Mass Effect. The story and characters are what I care for the most, and from what I've seen, that seems to be lacking in Andromeda. I mean ME1 had terrible combat, but I didn't even care. Everything else was exceptional, so it kinda made up for it. The animations are bad in Andromeda, but I'm more concerned about the writing. It looks like it was done by a bunch of amateurs.

I read previews and initial reviews. I heard the horror stories about the animations. I seriously considered cancelling my preorder.

I am so happy I decided to keep the game. There are issues, but none so game breaking as a few of the (still to this day unresolved) issues that exist in Dragon Age 2. The animations are wonky but the clips seiously pulled the most glitchy and went viral, which I do think was not an accurate representation of the whole. The overall story has a few confusing bits and admittingly felt more like 'fan-fiction' than a true continuation of the series. The characters were well fleshed out. The crewmember loyalty quests are really good. While true romance (not fling) options were limited, many felt more complex than in past entries. I will have to say that anyone claiming the characters are 'boring' or 'generic' has not played the game. 

For people that feel they have been burned by EA in the past, I get the restraint. For people falling into the media hype that is all about this game being terrible, I urge you to give it a try. I almost fell for it. The game brought me back into everything I loved about Mass Effect and then some. Nearly 80 hours of playtime has made the purchase well worth it.

• Like 1

I've been watching an LP of it the past couple nights (inb4 "You can't criticize it unless you play it yourself") and I just don't think I would really be able to enjoy it and there's always something that bothers me every 10-20 minutes. Outside of facial and character animations, none of the characters really stick out to me for starters. They all just feel so bland and recycled from the previous games and the interactions with them just seem so dull. Plus the jokes a lot of them make are lame. The main enemies also just look generic and slapped together that they look like discount Collectors. I also swear the Fiends are just a re-skinned Brute from Mass Effect 3. I haven't gotten to the point where their motivations are explained but I somehow doubt it will be interesting.

Walking around just seems like it is in Inquisition too. There's a wide open area, but a whole lot of nothing really interesting to do except collecting things kind of like how it was in the first game. The only difference (so far anyway) is that the vehicle you have doesn't have a weapon on it which makes driving around on big open worlds even more boring.

Perhaps the most irritating thing that bothers me is how the story is set up. It starts out between ME2 and ME3, which now begs the question of why nobody even references the Ark project in those two games. You could argue that it was so the Reapers wouldn't find out, but the Citadel didn't even believe in that whole thing until it was too late. Or maybe it was top secret but oh wait

Spoiler

you find out Liara knew about it. You think she would have mentioned that at some point to Shepard. Hell even Illusive Man could have known about it. Plus a bunch of other Citadel races were in on it.

Then they also mention

Spoiler

the Korgan suddenly building up an immunity or some way to get around the Genophage. Wowee, I guess that cure didn't need to happen after all. Good job Shepard, your choice didn't matter once again!

Secondly, Ryder seems to have that same BioWare "I suddenly gain a special thing that will solve the plot and makes me more important" device that Shepard, the Grey Warden, Hawke, Inquisitor, Revan, and pretty much every other BioWare protagonist has. It's just too predictable and boring now. Maybe I'm just nitpicking there, but I'm just tired of seeing that same set up in all their games.

I'm sure there will be more to come, and I have this dreadful feeling that it's going to involve Space Magic once again. But they really should have just had it where the Ark project takes place after ME3. It's not like they are really addressing anything between ME2 and 3. There's some callbacks but nothing really too notable. To be honest it would have made more sense if it did. But anyway, these are just things from the first few hours that stuck out to me, and so far it really doesn't look like something I would get until it was below the $40 price at best.

• Like 1

I haven't finished my playthrough yet on this, but my impressions of Andromeda so far are pretty favorable. For the most part I like the voice acting, and I like that the story is pretty well divorced from the original trilogy. We get new characters and races (although perhaps they could have used more than just a couple of new races in a new galaxy), the loyalty missions are on par with some of the better ones in ME2, and the planetary exploration in the Nomad is way more fun that it was in the Mako. The combat controls are fun (the jump jets were a great idea), and the crafting system for weapons and armor works pretty well. 

The technical glitches are well known, and I agree with those who say that a game this big should not suffer from the kinds of problems we're seeing when other games have been made for less money and released with far more polish. Where the game really suffers, in my opinion, is the overstuffing of filler quests (i.e., the tasks). The open-world syndrome is strong with this one. Tasks often involve nothing more than finding random items in random enemy campsites and then a final reverse-engineered navpoint from your all-knowing AI that require you to go to a location, kill some enemies, and talk to some random person. What was great about ME2 and ME3 is that missions were a bit more linear and focused. Each mission had a specific area where these random tasks were something you could do during other, more important missions. I look at my quest journal (which is way more complicated than it needs to be), and much of these tasks have nothing to do with enhancing or moving the story forward.

Bottom line: I like Andromeda for the most part, but it could be a lot better focused, and a lot more polished.

• Like 1

I have to agree, the biggest let down is the bland writing and the shallow characters (in my opinion anyway).

I read the bad reviews, I read the good reviews, I bought the game anyway and I'm sticking to it....BUT...I just cannot warm up to the characters.

Sarah especially is just bad...which is heartbreaking after all the hype. 

Never mind the glitches and bugs - I can cope with that - but lukewarm characters are a real shame. 

• Like 1

This is my first Mass Effect game. 

It's decent. Definitely not worth the full price (i'm borrowing a PS4 and the game for a couple weeks) and very flawed, but there's a lot of fun to be had.

The story and characters are painfully dull, and the main missions don't really have much variety to them either. Interacting with other characters feels like a chore. 

The combat is where the game excels though, but unfortunately the load-out and customisation menus are poorly designed and difficult to navigate. 

This game is a 6/10 (maybe a 7 if you're a hardcore fan). Not worth the full-price. 

• Like 1

I feel like Bioware is in a little bit of a hole when it comes to Mass Effect. A lot of people seem to forget that the first game was basically only world building, getting to know these new species and how they work and such. Andromeda only has one new species in it so there's not really the same sense of wonder, even if we're in a new system with new planets (so really there SHOULD BE more new species tbh). So what do people think about next? The story. ME1 didn't have that strong of a story in my opinion, but it was only the first in a trilogy like Andromeda seems to be. Even the characters in ME1 didnt really get interesting until later games, so I'm willing to give the Andromeda cast a chance, but other fans are not.

Honestly I feel like people would be more forgiving if they thought of Andromeda as the first chapter of a new saga, but it's basically impossible with the last game having that ending. (I'm not gonna defend the ending, it really was garbage imo.) People were legit hurt about that ending, so even if Andromeda had been technically perfect and every facial animation was on point this game would still be criticized all to hell.

Edited by ShakeNBake663
  • Like 1