Andromeda: Why people really hate it

• 8 months later...

I didn't like Me2 or Me3 and suspected I might not like andromeda, And I was right. I really enjoyed the 1st game but the RPG elements stopped right there and turned into corridor shooters, are they bad corridor shooters? Well yeah imo. I have put through quite a few hours the last 2 weeks though I don't think I'll finish it, I'm just so bored with every aspect of this game.

While it is not like ME2 and 3, Andromeda is not that bad either. Also i bought the game after the fix patch so i never witnessed all those bugs.

Exploration (both of the galaxy and planetary) remains one of my favorite features even in Andromeda. I really like it. Graphically it is awesome, not to mention it can be played in 4K but unfortunately i've only a TV that supports that (i'll buy PS4 Pro in the future though).

Among the things i don't like there are the characters design while walking around (not during cutscenes). NPC look like are made of gum plus are all short. lol The character creator also disappointed me, i expected more options for one of the features i love the most in videogames.

For me it's like this:

Worst to best: ME1 - Andromeda - ME3 - ME2

• 2 months later...

I've just started this but read dozens of reviews and they all point to the fact the game seems lazy and rushed through, not up to Bioware's usually high standards.

The problem lies in that we were spoiled with Mass Effect 2 which was a masterpiece. Nothing is every going to come up to that super high mark.

The game’s main antagonist was a nameless mook with no compelling motivation, goal, or discriminate history. He was filling the role of the mouthpiece for Team Evil. The writers tried giving Team Evil a deep, dark secret but failed to give purpose to any of their deeds.

Things weren’t much better for Team Good either. Papa Ryder was the perfect lead. He had backstory. He was motivated. He also had some secrets. He was a complex and realized character…until the prologue ended. Ryder Jr steps in to save the day even though there are several more skilled, experienced, and capable members on the Ark. Not that the role of the Pathfinder mattered since other people have inhabited multiple planets. Even the exiles have some form of settlement in places.   

The game’s true plot; AI. Again. What was the point in trying to separate this from the original trilogy when the plot remains nearly the same? Mysterious machines are causing havoc to the meat sacks. Shep…Ryder Jr has to put the pieces of the puzzle together one side quest at a time. The theme of colonization was shallow and pointless. Click one spot for a town. Click another spot to give the town access to Netflix. Done.

Some form of management or building simulation could have given the game an identity and a true means to separate itself from ME 1-3. The game was a boring, paint-by-numbers project from company that banked on the Mass Effect brand name being enough to turn top sales charts.

I could go on but it’s late.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
On 2018. 10. 23. at 1:45 PM, TJ_Solo said:

The game’s true plot; AI. Again. What was the point in trying to separate this from the original trilogy when the plot remains nearly the same? Mysterious machines are causing havoc to the meat sacks. Shep…Ryder Jr has to put the pieces of the puzzle together one side quest at a time. The theme of colonization was shallow and pointless. Click one spot for a town. Click another spot to give the town access to Netflix. Done.

Some form of management or building simulation could have given the game an identity and a true means to separate itself from ME 1-3. The game was a boring, paint-by-numbers project from company that banked on the Mass Effect brand name being enough to turn top sales charts.

I could go on but it’s late.

Holy shit they got netflix in this game?

• 3 months later...

I have never played any of the games in the Mass Effect series, but I did pre-order Andromeda when it came out because I was intensely fascinated by the space exploration factors I had seen in the previews. 

I think people who have never play Mass Effect would enjoy this game, which makes me think there's too much affection towards the old formula, but sometimes this is a tricky field in games for those who make them. For years, I've seen people accuse Ubisoft of copy-pasting Assassin's Creed and then they made Origins/Odyssey and everyone was like "yeah, just don't call it Assassin's Creed". I guess people are just never happy.

Now, if I hadn't read about weird facial animations, I barely would have noticed. The game never glitched and only very rarely stumbled in framerates for me. I've started it with the customized character, and I really enjoy it. I had to stop playing it (and many games) for a while because I was on my last year of university and had all the exams to pass if I wanted to graduate, but now that I've played it again, I'm so happy! I like the quests, I like the planets, I enjoy the characters and the gameplay. I love making planets viable, I love shooting missions. As a new comer, this is a fantastic game to me, I think I have many hours played on it and I still thirst for more.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 10/31/2019 at 1:09 PM, supercanaries said:

I have never played any of the games in the Mass Effect series, but I did pre-order Andromeda when it came out because I was intensely fascinated by the space exploration factors I had seen in the previews. 

I think people who have never play Mass Effect would enjoy this game, which makes me think there's too much affection towards the old formula, but sometimes this is a tricky field in games for those who make them. For years, I've seen people accuse Ubisoft of copy-pasting Assassin's Creed and then they made Origins/Odyssey and everyone was like "yeah, just don't call it Assassin's Creed". I guess people are just never happy.

Now, if I hadn't read about weird facial animations, I barely would have noticed. The game never glitched and only very rarely stumbled in framerates for me. I've started it with the customized character, and I really enjoy it. I had to stop playing it (and many games) for a while because I was on my last year of university and had all the exams to pass if I wanted to graduate, but now that I've played it again, I'm so happy! I like the quests, I like the planets, I enjoy the characters and the gameplay. I love making planets viable, I love shooting missions. As a new comer, this is a fantastic game to me, I think I have many hours played on it and I still thirst for more.

A big problem Mass Effect Andromeda had and will always have, is that the trilogy story was so heavy on action with such a powerful enemy, that Andromeda had no choice but to be set way into the future with a fresh new start. 

That being said though, and not including the bugs as they can be fixed things like that. The writing for the most part from what I have seen (still early game) is really bad. It feels like a lot of investment went intro and then they couldn't be arsed. But after ME3 a lot of the team left and so did others who had involvement like the writers and stuff. So since Andromeda its been pretty much a whole new team and so far they wrecked Inquisition, Andromeda and then Anthem. Its a new team and they just aren't up to scratch. Despite my hate for EA, I'm actually on there side as BioWare aren't delivering on anything they're given but EA probably has no choice due to the investment they put into when they bought them out. 

I'd be surprised if BioWare have generated enough revenue to even make the money back it took EA to buy them out. 

As I also said though about Andromeda, I can relate to both the hate and love for this game. But I'm very stand offish for the next Mass Effect game now. I heard its gonna be around 2025 by the time it comes out, but EA gave BioWare almost 7 years for Anthem and they completely screwed everything up.