Advice for new player

TerraTanium

Hey everyone,

I just started playing STO to get the trophies (even though one is glitched). Really enjoying the game and wanted to ask for some advice or general advice.

To start off i have some spare money to throw at the game and was wondering what the opportune moment is to buy a ship and what extra costs that brings?

Further regarding ships do the purchased ones only count as a skin to existing ones? When i do purchase one what should i keep my eye on?

To get all the story content trophies do i need to make a character from every option? (Starfleet, TOS, klingon, romulan)

To get the 2409 lore and new romulus lore i need to do a daily quest which rewards me 1 datachip with 1 of the 165 lore pieces (starfleet). What is the quickest way to approach this?

Regarding a build for my character(s) is there an ideal way to set my character up? Is there anything i should look out for? I don't want to try out every class seperately.

There is so much i want to know and i would love any other advice you guys can offer.

• Like 1

Hi, to answer some of your questions:

To buy a ship, best to wait for either or both of the following; A Zen sale, so that you get more Zen for less, and discount on the ships you want to buy on the C Store.

Which one you should get depends on your play style, so I can't really advise on that, as there are MANY ships to purchase.

To get all of the trophies, you only need to create a TOS, Klingon and Romulan character, as the TOS and Starfleet follow the same main story line, and you need TOS for the Agents of Yesterday trophies. There are 4 story trophies each that you need to get for Klingon and Romulan characters that you can't get with TOS or Starfleet. i personally have 4 characters, one of each (Fed, TOS, Rom and Klingon).

The Path to 2409 and Romulan Lore trophies are done faster if you claim datachips on more than one character and then redeem them all on your main character. (You can use mail or account bank to move them between characters) Once you collect enough of them, say 90% of each, then you can buy the remaining ones you need from the exchange or swap them with other players. Be warned, it can be frustrating to find the last one you need as each datachip has a varying rarity. 

For your build, it depends on what you go for, Tactical (DPS), Engineering (Tank) or Science (Healer and Exotic Damage). You could make each of your three characters on of each. For each character aim for the abilities which suit the class as you level up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cappy4000 said:

Hi, to answer some of your questions:

To buy a ship, best to wait for either or both of the following; A Zen sale, so that you get more Zen for less, and discount on the ships you want to buy on the C Store.

Which one you should get depends on your play style, so I can't really advise on that, as there are MANY ships to purchase.

To get all of the trophies, you only need to create a TOS, Klingon and Romulan character, as the TOS and Starfleet follow the same main story line, and you need TOS for the Agents of Yesterday trophies. There are 4 story trophies each that you need to get for Klingon and Romulan characters that you can't get with TOS or Starfleet. i personally have 4 characters, one of each (Fed, TOS, Rom and Klingon).

The Path to 2409 and Romulan Lore trophies are done faster if you claim datachips on more than one character and then redeem them all on your main character. (You can use mail or account bank to move them between characters) Once you collect enough of them, say 90% of each, then you can buy the remaining ones you need from the exchange or swap them with other players. Be warned, it can be frustrating to find the last one you need as each datachip has a varying rarity. 

For your build, it depends on what you go for, Tactical (DPS), Engineering (Tank) or Science (Healer and Exotic Damage). You could make each of your three characters on of each. For each character aim for the abilities which suit the class as you level up.

Really appreciate the advice!

Are zen sales and ship discounts common? 

Is there any point in buying a ship that isn't fleet T6? 

If i play at a normal pace toward level 50/60 will i accumulate enough money to buy the remaining 10% of lore?

Final question for this post!

I went with science will i be able to get through all the story content without much trouble or am i going to need help?

No worries bud, happy to help.

They have been over the time the game has been live on PS4, so both kinds of sales are worth keeping an eye out for, 100%.

I can explain a little about ships for you. T6 ships are really the only ones worth going for. I think you can equip them from Level 45 onward. There are two types really, Lock Box Ships and C Store Ships. Lock Box ships can be won through opening lock boxes with keys, or bought from the Exchange for 50 million Energy Credits upwards. You only get to redeem the ship once. C Store ships are bought for usually 3000 Zen each. Once you buy one of these you can buy it's Fleet Ship equivalent for only 1 Fleet Module and 20000 Fleet credits instead of 5 Fleet Modules and 20000 Fleet credits. You need to be a member of a fleet with the relevant Shipyard Level needed to be able to buy any Fleet Ships, and given access to use fleet provisions. The good thing with C Store ships is that they are unlocked for  your account, so if you by a Federation T6 ship, you can claim it on any other TOS or Fed character on your account.Some ships are cross faction, while most are faction specific. 

To get enough EC, you need to make sure anything you sell is to a vendor who can give you 50% of the value instead of 40%. I usually got to the Bar in Starfleet Academy for Fed/Romulan or to the vendors on the ground in the Klingon Academy for Fed/Romulan (Romulans, at a certain level, have to choose to join Fed or Klingons, so the vendor will depend on who you side with). also make sure, once you are able to get a good speed with your ship in Sector Space, that you complete the 'Tour the Galaxy' daily mission to earn more EC.

Finally, no matter which 'job' you choose, you will make it through the main story missions with no issues as long as you make sure you keep swapping in better equipment for your captain, away team and ship whenever you pick any up.

If you do end up needing help, you can join a fleet and play with other members. I am second in command of 1st Tactical Wing, we are a Beta Fleet to Lethality in their Armada. We are Fleet Level 40, Lethality is Fleet Level 53, and we have around 600 odd members between us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cappy4000 said:

No worries bud, happy to help.

They have been over the time the game has been live on PS4, so both kinds of sales are worth keeping an eye out for, 100%.

I can explain a little about ships for you. T6 ships are really the only ones worth going for. I think you can equip them from Level 45 onward. There are two types really, Lock Box Ships and C Store Ships. Lock Box ships can be won through opening lock boxes with keys, or bought from the Exchange for 50 million Energy Credits upwards. You only get to redeem the ship once. C Store ships are bought for usually 3000 Zen each. Once you buy one of these you can buy it's Fleet Ship equivalent for only 1 Fleet Module and 20000 Fleet credits instead of 5 Fleet Modules and 20000 Fleet credits. You need to be a member of a fleet with the relevant Shipyard Level needed to be able to buy any Fleet Ships, and given access to use fleet provisions. The good thing with C Store ships is that they are unlocked for  your account, so if you by a Federation T6 ship, you can claim it on any other TOS or Fed character on your account.Some ships are cross faction, while most are faction specific. 

To get enough EC, you need to make sure anything you sell is to a vendor who can give you 50% of the value instead of 40%. I usually got to the Bar in Starfleet Academy for Fed/Romulan or to the vendors on the ground in the Klingon Academy for Fed/Romulan (Romulans, at a certain level, have to choose to join Fed or Klingons, so the vendor will depend on who you side with). also make sure, once you are able to get a good speed with your ship in Sector Space, that you complete the 'Tour the Galaxy' daily mission to earn more EC.

Finally, no matter which 'job' you choose, you will make it through the main story missions with no issues as long as you make sure you keep swapping in better equipment for your captain, away team and ship whenever you pick any up.

If you do end up needing help, you can join a fleet and play with other members. I am second in command of 1st Tactical Wing, we are a Beta Fleet to Lethality in their Armada. We are Fleet Level 40, Lethality is Fleet Level 53, and we have around 600 odd members between us.

Thanks again!

I think i would like to join your fleet actually sounds like fun.

Ok if i add you on PSN incase i can't find anything? 

On 3.4.2017 at 5:55 PM, TerraTanium said:

If i play at a normal pace toward level 50/60 will i accumulate enough money to buy the remaining 10% of lore?

Not by a long shot. Depending on your luck on the exchange, you might have to pay more than 10 or even 20 million credits for one of the rarer chips (I forked over 22 million for one 2409 chip).

Another great source of income are duty officer missions (unlocked at level 11) and admiralty missions (unlocked at level 52). And these help you progress fast towards the specialization trophy. Level 60 is the max, but you'll have plenty more level-ups before having 30 skills in one skill tree (beware that a few skill trees only have 15 skills).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Theophobos said:

Not by a long shot. Depending on your luck on the exchange, you might have to pay more than 10 or even 20 million credits for one of the rarer chips (I forked over 22 million for one 2409 chip).

Another great source of income are duty officer missions (unlocked at level 11) and admiralty missions (unlocked at level 52). And these help you progress fast towards the specialization trophy. Level 60 is the max, but you'll have plenty more level-ups before having 30 skills in one skill tree (beware that a few skill trees only have 15 skills).

Thanks!

I don't know much about end game stuff yet but i'm excited to find out :D

Let's hope i get those rare chips right? (dreams)