Castle of Illusion is available again

A few months ago the remake Castle of Illusion got delisted, see this thread by Stricken:

As of the weekend it seems like the game is available again on the PSN:

EU-store: https://store.playstation.com/#!/cid=EP0177-NPEB01330_00-CASTLEOFILLUSION

NA-store: https://store.playstation.com/#!/cid=UP0177-NPUB31099_00-DISNEYCOIKEY0001

I stumbled upon this as I saw that PSPrices listed it as a new game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

I stumbled upon this as I saw that PSPrices listed it as a new game.

I saw this as well, didn't realise it had been delisted though and thought it was some bug on the site.

I played the demo and I didn't like it that much, never played the original. I still won't get this unless there's a decent sale, but PS+ would be better.

9 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I played the demo and I didn't like it that much, never played the original. I still won't get this unless there's a decent sale, but PS+ would be better.

The game was part of the PS+ lineup in the US shortly before they decided to release the identical games in the US and Europe, so I doubt we'll get it.

If this means that Sega bothered to renew their license, I hope that means that we'll maybe get a remake of Quackshot or another one of their Disney games.

5 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

but PS+ would be better.

It was already part of the IGC (at least in North America) in the beginning of 2014 so it's unlikely it will be part of the IGC again, seeing how much hate Sony got when they put Retro/Grade in the EU IGC again.

Personally I really liked the game but only after I gave it a second try. IIRC the controls felt a bit sloppy sometimes which is annoying as even some early passages require some precise platforming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soniq said:

The game was part of the PS+ lineup in the US shortly before they decided to release the identical games in the US and Europe, so I doubt we'll get it.

2 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

It was already part of the IGC (at least in North America) in the beginning of 2014 so it's unlikely it will be part of the IGC again, seeing how much hate Sony got when they put Retro/Grade in the EU IGC again.

That's a shame. Well, if it ever is €2,50 again I might get it now that my backlog is in a better shape. After I get through the games I bought last week, that is.

1 minute ago, soniq said:

If this means that Sega bothered to renew their license, I hope that means that we'll maybe get a remake of Quackshot or another one of their Disney games.

I went through the list and I don't really care for any of the SEGA Disney games.

27 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I went through the list and I don't really care for any of the SEGA Disney games.

I don't really know nor care what other games there were besides Quackshot to be honest, but back then that was pretty much the Duck Tales game for Mega Drive/Genesis.

And I fucking loved Duck Tales as a kid. :D Hopefully the PS4 port of the upcoming Capcom Disney collection will be good.

49 minutes ago, soniq said:

I don't really know nor care what other games there were besides Quackshot to be honest, but back then that was pretty much the Duck Tales game for Mega Drive/Genesis.

And I fucking loved Duck Tales as a kid. :D Hopefully the PS4 port of the upcoming Capcom Disney collection will be good.

I liked the Duck Tales game, played both Duck Tales on the NES and the sequel on the Game Boy.

It seems like the PS4 collection is a quick cash grab or they would have released it for the Switch as well. I think it's too bad that they're doing a basic port and not remakes. I'm more into some SNES Disney games - Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story, Mickey Mania...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I liked the Duck Tales game, played both Duck Tales on the NES and the sequel on the Game Boy.

It seems like the PS4 collection is a quick cash grab or they would have released it for the Switch as well. I think it's too bad that they're doing a basic port and not remakes. I'm more into some SNES Disney games - Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story, Mickey Mania...

Weren't the Gameboy games simply the handheld version of the NES games? I don't remember there being a Duck Tales 3.

I'm glad they are doing ports instead of more remakes like Duck Tales Remastered on last gen.

I assume they are using the same engine that they've used for the Mega Man Legacy Collection and that's why it isn't on Switch (yet?).

9 minutes ago, soniq said:

Weren't the Gameboy games simply the handheld version of the NES games? I don't remember there being a Duck Tales 3.

Correct, I just played 1 on the NES and 2 on the GB. I still have 2 lying around, I never had a NES though, that play was just on a friend's NES.

I'm glad they are doing ports instead of more remakes like Duck Tales Remastered on last gen.

I like the remaster, I generally don't like 8-bit graphics though especially on big modern televisions.

I assume they are using the same engine that they've used for the Mega Man Legacy Collection and that's why it isn't on Switch (yet?).

Probably, it's no excuse though - not doing them for Switch right away shows they just want to release it quickly for a few bucks, it's likely just some ROM versions thrown together.

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

I like the remaster, I generally don't like 8-bit graphics though especially on big modern televisions.

It's exactly the other way for me. I love how clean and sharp old 8bit graphics look on my TV. :)

What about Shovel Knight though? I've noticed that you have it in your signature and it's pretty much exactly Capcom 8bit style graphics.

7 minutes ago, soniq said:

It's exactly the other way for me. I love how clean and sharp old 8bit graphics look on my TV. :)

What about Shovel Knight though? I've noticed that you have it in your signature and it's pretty much exactly Capcom 8bit style graphics.

Shovel Knight is one of those rare exceptions for me. Exactly for the graphics I've bought it on the Switch though, so I can play it exclusively in handheld mode (read: on a small screen). I'm glad that my big television knows how to scale my SNES input, it's a 4:3 image and it doesn't use the entire height of the screen.

There are other bit graphic games that I enjoyed, even on a large screen (Super Meat Boy for instance, or Fez), but they are few and far between. It probably helps that Shovel Knight is not just bit grahpics, but a recreation of NES-style bit graphics.

I got this game when it was free on PS Plus April 2014, and since it was re-listed, this game has disappeared from my download list.

I've browsed the whole list and it's not there, I saw it in the past while looking for other stuff and it was along with the other SEGA games given on PS PLUS (As you know, every time you renew your subscription, the download list reorders itself so the PS Plus games are shown first and sorted by publisher.

Anyway, I looked through the whole list and didn't find it.

Did anyone else experience this?

Edited by charlijaen

• 6 months later...
On 2017-04-03 at 6:46 AM, charlijaen said:

I got this game when it was free on PS Plus April 2014, and since it was re-listed, this game has disappeared from my download list.

I've browsed the whole list and it's not there, I saw it in the past while looking for other stuff and it was along with the other SEGA games given on PS PLUS (As you know, every time you renew your subscription, the download list reorders itself so the PS Plus games are shown first and sorted by publisher.

Anyway, I looked through the whole list and didn't find it.

Did anyone else experience this?

i know this is months later, but instead of clunky download list you should try just going to the item in store