Jak and Daxter: The Trilogy and Jak X PS2 classic games to PS4.

Just now, soniq said:

Shiiiiiit, I better get on it right after finishing all 6 versions of The Evil Within. :/

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

PSP emulator on PS4 when? Do it Sony. As long as it lets us remap controls entirely [more freedom than PS Vita allows], then it'd be amazing.

3 minutes ago, MMDE said:

And when they're at it, do PS1 too. Oh, how I want some of those PS1 games to have trophies. :) Maybe we'd finally get Tombi! with trophies!!!

Seeing PaRappa, LocoRoco and Patapon I guess Sony will do at least some games. But I guess Sony will start slacking again after a while like they do with PS2 on PS4. :/

7 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

Seeing PaRappa, LocoRoco and Patapon I guess Sony will do at least some games. But I guess Sony will start slacking again after a while like they do with PS2 on PS4. :/

It's not slack, apparently it just takes them a long time to add the trophies. This is why I'm annoyed they are porting Jak 1-3 and X. I'd much rather they spend the time on some other underappreciated games.

I'm sad that this is just a basic PS2 port, since PS3 already had an HD upgrade so essentially we're doing a downgrade from the PS3 versions. I know Jak X is new but I won't bother with it unless it's going for a very cheap price. Like, €3 cheap.

I've gotten rid of the PS3 trilogy disc after playing through the three games. I might get them on PS4, very far down the line, on a big sale. I'd sooner get only the first game again than the whole trilogy. I really liked the first game and I enjoyed the other two but each sequel removed itself farther from the platforming roots, which was a shame in my eyes.

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Jak 2 was clearly heavily influenced by GTA3. There's no question about this, whatsoever. Just look at how you can nab "cars", and then the guards will be after you, until you avoid them for x amount of time etc. The way you go to a new locations in the city, watch a video to get a new mission. If you do anything wrong to one guard, they're all after you. Just crash into one of them, and they're all after you. etc etc. This is stuff taken from GTA3, and you know it.

Adding to that, how the missions and side stuff is constructed and you seeing them on the map is taken from GTA as well. Or the fact that they're suddenly using weapons at all since the first game was just a platformer. Then again, Mar is always good at accepting his own opinion on games as the only possible truth and other people's opinions as lies, especially when it comes to Jak games, or Super Mario Sunshine B)

11 minutes ago, soniq said:

Let's just say that there's a reason for this trophy. :D

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/2752-the-last-of-us-remastered/31-nobodys-perfect

Right, I forgot about that trophy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm sad that this is just a basic PS2 port, since PS3 already had an HD upgrade so essentially we're doing a downgrade from the PS3 versions. I know Jak X is new but I won't bother with it unless it's going for a very cheap price. Like, €3 cheap.

I've gotten rid of the PS3 trilogy disc after playing through the three games. I might get them on PS4, very far down the line, on a big sale. I'd sooner get only the first game again than the whole trilogy. I really liked the first game and I enjoyed the other two but each sequel removed itself farther from the platforming roots, which was a shame in my eyes.

Adding to that, how the missions and side stuff is constructed and you seeing them on the map is taken from GTA as well. Or the fact that they're suddenly using weapons at all since the first game was just a platformer. Then again, Mar is always good at accepting his own opinion on games as the only possible truth and other people's opinions as lies, especially when it comes to Jak games, or Super Mario Sunshine B)

Right, I forgot about that trophy!

Actually it's arguably an upgrade. It'll be in 1080p vs the PS3 version which I believe was 720p(?) and then it also won't have the missing audio cues from the HD collection, and the visual bugs won't be present either (such as the main villain in Jak II missing his face lol).

Just now, madbuk said:

Actually it's arguably an upgrade. It'll be in 1080p vs the PS3 version which I believe was 720p(?) and then it also won't have the missing audio cues from the HD collection, and the visual bugs won't be present either (such as the main villain in Jak II missing his face lol).

I don't think I experienced many bugs. I've played through Psychonauts on PS4 recently and I definitely think the PS3 remasters of PS2 games look much crisper than the PS4 ports of PS2 games. Then again you said arguably :) Personally, I think they should've just either gone full remaster, or done some other games first, stuff that has never been touched in the trophy generation, like a working version of True Crime NYC (that GC version was so riddled with bugs that I had to stop playing, don't know about the PS2 version).

don't expect a graphical improvements on this release, it's a ps2 on ps4.

meaning unlike the ps3 / Vita's HD remasters, this re-release is basically an emulator of the original ps2 games.

would have been better if they took the ps3's HD remasters instead and re-release them on ps4 and rework them from 720p to run at 1080p or 4K, then emulate Jak X and added trophies support to it, the HD collection especially on the ps3 have ran a lot better than the ps2's original counterpart, on ps3 all 3 games run at solid 60FPS with no screen tearing at all.

3 minutes ago, yellowwindow7 said:

don't expect a graphical improvements on this release, it's a ps2 on ps4.

meaning unlike the ps3 / Vita's HD remasters, this re-release is basically an emulator of the original ps2 games.

would have been better if they took the ps3's HD remasters instead and re-release them on ps4 and rework them from 720p to run at 1080p or 4K, then emulate Jak X and added trophies support to it, the HD collection especially on the ps3 have ran a lot better than the ps2's original counterpart, on ps3 all 3 games run at solid 60FPS with no screen tearing at all.

It's an emulator, but it upscales games to 1080p, so it will look better than it did on PS2. Also, some of the games have improved framrate. Jedi Starfighter runs at 60fps when emulated on PS4, for instance, whereas on PS2 it doesn't reach that at all.

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

It's not slack, apparently it just takes them a long time to add the trophies. This is why I'm annoyed they are porting Jak 1-3 and X. I'd much rather they spend the time on some other underappreciated games.

Aside BIG name titles that I would appreciate: Legend of Dragoon, FF8, Chrono Trigger, etc etc. There are LOTS of lesser known games I would heavily appreciate, so I concur with this comment 100%

I would kill for either Tomba or Croc or Jade Cocoon. Those were some great games that are hidden gems. 

3 minutes ago, TigressLion said:

Aside BIG name titles that I would appreciate: Legend of Dragoon, FF8, Chrono Trigger, etc etc. There are LOTS of lesser known games I would heavily appreciate, so I concur with this comment 100%

I would kill for either Tomba or Croc or Jade Cocoon. Those were some great games that are hidden gems. 

I got all of these games. Not played Legend of Dragoon and Jade Cocoon though. Would love to play the latter, so I really should do that soon. Only played the demo of it, thought it seemed like a mix of FF with some pokemon or something. :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MMDE said:

You know, you can refer to what you've said previously, without just saying it's "debunked", when most of what I've said has been replies to what you've said. I'm sorry, but this is not a good way to communicate with anyone, even less someone you're trying to convince of something.

Again you're just dismissing things, calling them x, y and z, therefore not worthy of even addressing. Good job convincing me or anyone else I'm wrong.

Jak 2 was clearly heavily influenced by GTA3. There's no question about this, whatsoever. Just look at how you can nab "cars", and then the guards will be after you, until you avoid them for x amount of time etc. The way you go to a new locations in the city, watch a video to get a new mission. If you do anything wrong to one guard, they're all after you. Just crash into one of them, and they're all after you. etc etc. This is stuff taken from GTA3, and you know it.

I know Jak X is coming to PS4, and I honestly wouldn't care if it wasn't for the fact that it takes away the port team's time to port other games. Jak X is not a terrible racer, it's just mediocre.

No. We've had the argument many times, you know this. You're objectively too stubborn to acknowledge my points or be convinced, you should know this too. I acknowledge the flaws with all 4 games (something "Horrible" and several other ppl on this site are delusional to), they're there, but you label every single aspect of the modern games bad, which is clearly bs, especially since the sequels did not flop, and have got great ratings (aside JX, magically). Do you bother to proof-read what you say? Look over what you keep saying about the modern Jak games, it goes beyond normal criticism.

That's irrelevant, you're STILL not comprehending my point :facepalm:, nor seem to be comprehending the common concept of developers using concepts from other games (ND do it with all their games, it's a gimmick of theirs) partially, instead of entirely, something Jak does. This will be the last time I say this, the hub world was not the focus, the sectioned off levels, like TPL, were. GTA doesnt have sectioned off levels, and ND only expanded the hub world to create something more fun inbetween getting to each MATTER-level, since TPL had a bland open-world that just connected all the levels, even if seamlessly. Regardless, their efforts were not directed at the open-world hub, unlike say Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and even Yooka-Laylee, mostly. At least from a lore, story, and background perspective, Haven City is both more of an interesting place for Jak to be from than Sandover Village, and it's more lively than SOV. 

Your guard point was hilarious . (It's called good AI.) If any police officer is harmed, ofc they should react. (Then they go rid the system in J3, which is only redeemable given the on-going war theme/setting of J3... good job again ND.) Your last line, yet again.. is not the point :) .

Oh, so now it's not bad? Despite all your points of the game being negative. JX is far from mediocre, and is more unique of a racing game than Crash (Mario) Kart (with a twist on the drift-turbo mechanic), regardless if CTR was hypothetically more fun. JX simply has more polish, content, and replayvalue.

4 hours ago, Lars said:

So Jak X is a racing game, i didn't even know that there was a racer in the Jak franchise. Might get that one when it releases, i have the trilogy on PS3 so i'll pass that.

Not sure about your racing background or history, but I highly recommend JX, given you're already a fan of the franchise. From one perspective, I could say it's easy to especially recommend JX to already established Jak fans... but then really, I could also recommend this to general combat racing fans who like Twisted Metal.

Edited by Mar

4 minutes ago, Mar said:

No. We've had the argument many times, you know this. You're objectively too stubborn to acknowledge my points or be convinced, you should know this too. I acknowledge flaws with all 4 games, they're there, but you label every single aspect of the modern games bad, which is clearly bs, especially since the sequels did not flop, and have got great ratings (aside JX, magically). Do you bother to proof-read what you say? Look over what you keep saying about the modern Jak games, it goes beyond normal criticism.

That's irrelevant, you're not comprehending my point, nor seem to be comprehending the common concept of developers using concepts from other games (ND do it with all their games, it's a gimmick of theirs) partially, instead of entirely, something Jak does. This will be the last time I say this, the hub world was not the focus, the sectioned off levels, like TPL, were. GTA doesnt have sectioned off levels, and ND only expanded the hub world to create something more fun inbetween getting to each level, since TPL had a bland open-world that just connected all the levels, even if seamlessly. Regardless, their efforts were not directed at the open-world hub, unlike say Ty the Tasmanian Tiger and even Yooka-Laylee. At least from a lore, story, and background perspective, Haven City is both more of an interesring place for Jak to be from than Sandover Village, and it's more lively than SOV. (SOV has nothing on 

Your guard point was hilarious. (It's called good AI.) If any police officer is harmed, ofc they should react.

Oh, so now it's not bad? Despite all your points of the game being negative. JX is far from mediocre, and is more unique of a racing game than Crash Kart. 

Not sure about your racing background or history, but I highly recommend JX, given you're already a fan of the franchise. From one perspective, I could say it's easy to especially recommend JX to already established Jak fans... but then really, I could also recommend this to general combat racing fans. 

Jak 2 and 3 got good reviews, but they sold terrible. Jak 2, 3 and X sold as much as one CB game. That's pretty disappointing, especially when you consider it had a bigger audience (PS2) and they had built a reputation (CB and Jak 1). Jak X got mediocre reviews. There's nothing magical about Jak X getting mediocre reviews. It was mediocre.

So you're just gonna ignore the big change between Jak 1 and 2 that was introduced due to the popularity of GTA3? And why ignore it? To fit your argument? It is true that Jak 2 and 3 had sectioned off locations instead of one open world you explored. I don't think this was an improvement, and the GTA games got this too for certain missions, certainly special events. The fact that they had to take it outside the main hub speaks more to bad design, or that you couldn't return to many places. These are not improvements for me. Several of the Ty games got levels, big open levels you could return to and solve quests in etc. A bit like SM64 I guess.

What is true is that Jak became an action game, and that's it really, with a pretty meh battle system.

The guards had terrible AI. At least I'm not impressed by it, pretty easy to implement that stuff, just some hit detection. Most of the time I would find myself running instead of driving, because it's a chore to drive and risk anything. Even then you shouldn't roll jump too much, because you may hit a guard, bam, they are after you. :\

Jak X is unique? :S I'm not going to sit here and say CTR is unique though, never said that, I said it perfected the genre.

Crash Kart? It's Crash Team Racing (CTR).

Jak X is for those who are huge fans of Jak, who just need to play all the games. For anyone else, it's just another racing game.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Jak 2 and 3 got good reviews, but they sold terrible. Jak 2, 3 and X sold as much as one CB game. That's pretty disappointing, especially when you consider it had a bigger audience (PS2) and they had built a reputation (CB and Jak 1). Jak X got mediocre reviews. There's nothing magical about Jak X getting mediocre reviews. It was mediocre.

So you're just gonna ignore the big change between Jak 1 and 2 that was introduced due to the popularity of GTA3? And why ignore it? To fit your argument? It is true that Jak 2 and 3 had sectioned off locations instead of one open world you explored. I don't think this was an improvement, and the GTA games got this too for certain missions, certainly special events. The fact that they had to take it outside the main hub speaks more to bad design, or that you couldn't return to many places. These are not improvements for me. Several of the Ty games got levels, big open levels you could return to and solve quests in etc. A bit like SM64 I guess.

What is true is that Jak became an action game, and that's it really, with a pretty meh battle system.

The guards had terrible AI. At least I'm not impressed by it, pretty easy to implement that stuff, just some hit detection. Most of the time I would find myself running instead of driving, because it's a chore to drive and risk anything. Even then you shouldn't roll jump too much, because you may hit a guard, bam, they are after you. :\

Jak X is unique? :S I'm not going to sit here and say CTR is unique though, never said that, I said it perfected the genre.

Crash Kart? It's Crash Team Racing (CTR).

Jak X is for those who are huge fans of Jak, who just need to play all the games. For anyone else, it's just another racing game.

Sales arent as important as ratings when it comes down to a critiqing (that's a word right?) a game's design components, especially when ppl base their purchases on reviews regardless of the game's quality. The CB thing might be taking into account other released ports on other systems. So until you prove to me it did this only on PS1 then I don't care. But guess what, even if you did provide me with the proof, IT'S OUT OF CONTEXT of our argument. This isnt about how good Jak is or how it stacks up against ND's other games, it's purely about your exaggerative issues and negative claims with the modern sequels, so stop lying, ignoring, and misinterpreting all my points and argument.

Jak X deserved better reviews for its overall design and ambitions, like a great story in both a racer and spinoff, online play (1st time incorporating it to) with essentially all the online features an online game can have (clans, lobbies, voice chat, invitations, parties.... something a lot of PS3 racers dont even have in their online modes ?), good character development, and any other unusual quality aspects not usually present in racing games or racing spinoffs. All of this combined with great level design, graphics, gameplay, so fourth. My single point: it deserved better ratings, period, that is all. Leave it at that.

What a digusting and pathetic way to twist an argument, dear god. Although what you said there is irrelevant, no I didnt, no, and no again. After the rest of your comment and further lack of comprehension, im moving on. Though, you could return to nearly all levels, fyi. "Many" is wrong.

Jak was action since the first game. What are you trying to pull now? This is a fact. The second game merely added shooting and increased combat, making it more action, but JaDTPL is objectively an action game, just like Uncharted 1 is to. Lol.

It's too the point where you need to stop talking about the Jak games, your comments are cancerous. Ive literally told you MULTIPLE TIMES roll jumping into a guard does not trigger an alert. This is direct proof you dont listen to anything I say and that you dont know what youre talking about a lot of the time. (You do the samething via your inaccurate "Theres a lot of levels you cant return to" and "J2 has a lot of missable collectibles"). You dont listen to shit :facepalm: . Additionally, jumping onto a guard also does not trigger an alert, FYI.

Crash perfected it because it was working with one simple type of genre. JX mixed things up and tried to be a hybrid of the two exist racing genres, this is the only reason why it wasnt perfected. My single point yet again: The final product still turned out pretty great, fun for sure. That is all. Stop adding more subjects and angles (because of my counter points) to continue this whole entire argument, it's literally redundant and desperate.

Ok. CTR is ANOTHER racing game. What is your point?? (This is hilarious, all this downplaying.) However, JX is also a great game for general combat racing fans..................................... as CTR is for kart racing fans.

Again ill leave this here:

Edited by Mar

Please Mar, just for once try to see how blind you are when it comes to objective observations about games you happen to love. You did the same thing about Jak 2/3 and Super Mario Sunshine a while ago, you just ramble on about what you think about the game yet you call it absolute fact and ridicule others for putting the games into context of others in the genre.

Humour me. Just this once, try to see how you become when someone criticizes a game you like.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Please Mar, just for once try to see how blind you are when it comes to objective observations about games you happen to love. You did the same thing about Jak 2/3 and Super Mario Sunshine a while ago, you just ramble on about what you think about the game yet you call it absolute fact and ridicule others for putting the games into context of others in the genre.

Humour me. Just this once, try to see how you become when someone criticizes a game you like.

It's cute how how exaggerative you are. You'll get a lot of likes for that one, I bet you worked hard typing that up. If anything you're blind, since I let plenty of people criticize my favorite games without interference. Way to be a hypocrite to. Ridicule others... claim things as facts constantly? Lolk. It's cute how irrational youre being towards narrowly complaining about my actions rather than understanding the actual argument and realizing who's the one actually saying flawed things about a series in the argument.That's called biased and irrational (completely ignoring valid points and counters arguments), and you're literally going after me, first off because of your ignorance via the Jak series, otherwise you'd jump into the actual argument, and second because it's wrong for anyone to counter people's opinion and technically wrong statements of a series, two of which I just did with MMDE's post, right?!

The best critiques of the Jak series will have to go this guy, for me. He's very objective, and in a fair manner:

For what it's worth noting, I agree with at least 90% of what he said in all 4 videos. So take your own misconceptions and false beliefs elsewhere, for never understanding the technicality of my arguments.

Humor me with actual logical responses. The guy gave me lenghty post and argumentive points, im going to do the samething back. Im not going to just sit on my ass and let him state some misinformation and tell me down how 3/4 of the series is terrible. If you wont add any discussion value to our argument (which would likely be petty, if so, given circumistances) instead of the cliche "youre an ass for disagreeing with their opinion", then you can kindly take a seat.

Edited by Mar

See this is your problem, you almost never get that other people can have different opinions, how you view the games has to be true and what other people say is called ignorance and/or stupidity. You throw the word "literally" around all the time like it automatically makes you right.

Have fun with your blinders, I've had enough of you again for a while.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

See this is your problem, you almost never get that other people can have different opinions, how you view the games has to be true and what other people say is called ignorance and/or stupidity. You throw the word "literally" around all the time like it automatically makes you right.

No, that is your problem. He has stated technical and mechanical false information to. And yes I will counter that. You clearly have an understanding problem. I am not an arrogant freak like you make me out to be, but I am a technical freak (the game has bad controls Vs the game controlled bad for me, as one simple example). And everything said out a person's mouth is not an opinion, learn to understand that; there's a thing called inaccurate statements, yet again two of which I proved him (and ofc you) wrong of just recently. When I use that word, it's not even always the way you make it sound. I use the word mostly for clarification purposes. Have fun with YOUR blinders.

Im fine with opinions, but exaggerative ones do get to me. If MMDE went about doing it in a more rational way (like have you not read his damn post?), I'd be fine. But he's gone overboard with his exaggerations. Note: I ignored his first few negative comments about the series on Pg1, oh nvm.. you only see what you want to see.

Edited by Mar

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

55 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

31 minutes ago, Mar said:

Note: How I gnored his first few negative comments about the series on Pg1/2, oh nvm you're blind.

:D

Also, did you watch the videos you link to? I listened to just the conclusion of the third game. Did you?

1 hour ago, Mar said:

Sales arent as important as ratings when it comes down to a critiqing (that's a word right?) a game's design components, especially when ppl base their purchases on reviews regardless of the game's quality. The CB thing might be taking into account other released ports on other systems. So until you prove to me it did this only on PS1 then I don't care. But guess what, even if you did provide me with the proof, IT'S OUT OF CONTEXT of our argument. This isnt about how good Jak is or how it stacks up against ND's other games, it's purely about your exaggerative issues and negative claims with the modern sequels, so stop lying, ignoring, and misinterpreting all my points and argument.

Jak X deserved better reviews for its overall design and ambitions, like a great story in both a racer and spinoff, online play (1st time incorporating it to) with essentially all the online features an online game can have (clans, lobbies, voice chat, invitations, parties.... something a lot of PS3 racers dont even have in their online modes 1f606.png), good character development, and any other unusual quality aspects not usually present in racing games or racing spinoffs. All of this combined with great level design, graphics, gameplay, so fourth. My single point: it deserved better ratings, period, that is all. Leave it at that.

What a digusting and pathetic way to twist an argument, dear god. Although what you said there is irrelevant, no I didnt, no, and no again. After the rest of your comment and further lack of comprehension, im moving on. Though, you could return to nearly all levels, fyi. "Many" is wrong.

Jak was action since the first game. What are you trying to pull now? This is a fact. The second game merely added shooting and increased combat, making it more action, but JaDTPL is objectively an action game, just like Uncharted 1 is to. Lol.

It's too the point where you need to stop talking about the Jak games, your comments are cancerous. Ive literally told you MULTIPLE TIMES roll jumping into a guard does not trigger an alert. This is direct proof you dont listen to anything I say and that you dont know what youre talking about a lot of the time. (You do the samething via your inaccurate "Theres a lot of levels you cant return to" and "J2 has a lot of missable collectibles"). You dont listen to shit :facepalm: . Additionally, jumping onto a guard also does not trigger an alert, FYI.

Crash perfected it because it was working with one simple type of genre. JX mixed things up and tried to be a hybrid of the two exist racing genres, this is the only reason why it wasnt perfected. My single point yet again: The final product still turned out pretty great, fun for sure. That is all. Stop adding more subjects and angles (because of my counter points) to continue this whole entire argument, it's literally redundant and desperate.

Ok. CTR is ANOTHER racing game. What is your point?? (This is hilarious, all this downplaying.) However, JX is also a great game for general combat racing fans..................................... as CTR is for kart racing fans.

Again ill leave this here:

Sales aren't as important when it comes to preference. Sure thing dude. I brought up sales, because it was objective facts about the game. They're bad. The first game sold more than the sequels, despite better reviews and despite bigger user base. Was it competition? Look at what most people say about the game these days, it's not overly positive. I don't hate Jak 2 or 3 like a lot of people do, they just let me down. I got bored of the games, that's not a good sign. They weren't anything of what I liked so much about the first game, or at the very least it was all worse. And what they tried to do, I'd play better in the first game or where the ideas had been copied from. The action stuff didn't interest me. And it seemed they totally missed the mark with the games judging by the sales.

I've not exaggerated anything. Please do point out what I've exaggerated.

I was talking about CB 1-3. CB sales were great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games

^ That's why you find it there. CTR sold the least though, but it sold more than Jak 2 or 3 or X ever did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games

^ Now do compare!

Jak 1 had pretty good sales, especially for it's release date, Jak 2 and Jak 3 pretty terrible.

People don't judge a game by it's ambitions. If the result isn't great, it won't get great reviews either. It just didn't play all that well, neither all that fun.

Not sure why you bring up UC1 again either, but so what if UC1 is action? Do you see me buying UC4 or TLoU? I haven't? Oh well. Maybe I'm not all that into it. I like the games alright. Not among my favorites TBH. More fun to play than Jak 2 and 3.

I've rolled jumped into guards and had that trigger them in Jak 2, had it happen so many times, and it's annoying AF. :( 

I don't care what Jak X tried to do, just about the end-result. Which was a game with issues and simply not as good as what they had done before. And let's be honest here, you probably know why it didn't score all that well, you've probably read the reviews seeing how big fan you're of the game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMDE said:

Also, did you watch the videos you link to? I listened to just the conclusion of the third game. Did you?

Sales aren't as important when it comes to preference. Sure thing dude. I brought up sales, because it was objective facts about the game. They're bad. The first game sold more than the sequels, despite better reviews and despite bigger user base. Was it competition? Look at what most people say about the game these days, it's not overly positive. I don't hate Jak 2 or 3 like a lot of people do, they just let me down. I got bored of the games, that's not a good sign. They weren't anything of what I liked so much about the first game, or at the very least it was all worse. And what they tried to do, I'd play better in the first game or where the ideas had been copied from. The action stuff didn't interest me. And it seemed they totally missed the mark with the games judging by the sales.

I've not exaggerated anything. Please do point out what I've exaggerated.

I was talking about CB 1-3. CB sales were great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games

^ That's why you find it there. CTR sold the least though, but it sold more than Jak 2 or 3 or X ever did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games

^ Now do compare!

Jak 1 had pretty good sales, especially for it's release date, Jak 2 and Jak 3 pretty terrible.

People don't judge a game by it's ambitions. If the result isn't great, it won't get great reviews either. It just didn't play all that well, neither all that fun.

Not sure why you bring up UC1 again either, but so what if UC1 is action? Do you see me buying UC4 or TLoU? I haven't? Oh well. Maybe I'm not all that into it. I like the games alright. Not among my favorites TBH. More fun to play than Jak 2 and 3.

I've rolled jumped into guards and had that trigger them in Jak 2, had it happen so many times, and it's annoying AF. :( 

I don't care what Jak X tried to do, just about the end-result. Which was a game with issues and simply not as good as what they had done before. And let's be honest here, you probably know why it didn't score all that well, you've probably read the reviews seeing how big fan you're of the game.

Talking to you is very fun. :)

You're really going to ask me that stupid question? He still doesn't agree with your many issues you have with the games.

Of course you ignore the part where I clearly said the Crash sales comparisons are irrelevant to our argument.

No, because you know what you have done (and im on mobile), I went over it several times already.

Im judging a game by the ambitions that already exist. Youre not going to use a subjective point to claim JX as shit, sorry. (Wait, arent I doing that to? Yes... but the controls are mechanically not bad, obviously.) Plenty of fans like me had no issue with the buggies or controls, which you always claim otherwise, like on Pg1 of thread. The JX Analytical Review Video also went over some of the refined buggy controls and ambition. JX is wonderful, whether it has bad controls or not. JX played very well, and was very fun. Clocked in 110hrs in my childhood days alone (without friends), before I was even a real Jak fan. I had only liked Jak 3 during that time period.

I call that false memory. I tested this, among various other mechanics for yrs, and you cannot trigger an alert via roll jumping. ND even stripped the roll jump of its damaging properties in J2 and onward so.....

Reviews and ratings arent always accurate. Every game has issues, no point there. End result was a fun game that meshed together sim and kart mechanics quite well. Game not broken, game not bad, so that fits the well criteria.

FF: Neil Drunkmen was also a programmer for JX, and he's listed it as his favorite game to work on prior to U4 :]

Edited by Mar

11 hours ago, madbuk said:

It's an emulator, but it upscales games to 1080p, so it will look better than it did on PS2. Also, some of the games have improved framrate. Jedi Starfighter runs at 60fps when emulated on PS4, for instance, whereas on PS2 it doesn't reach that at all.

and here I thought Jedi Starfighter on ps2 is also run at 60FPS at least with a lot of screen tearings, most 60FP ps2 games back then always had that.

6 hours ago, Mar said:

Talking to you is very fun. :)

You're really going to ask me that stupid question? He still doesn't agree with your many issues you have with the games.

Of course you ignore the part where I clearly said the Crash sales comparisons are irrelevant to our argument.

No, because you know what you have done (and im on mobile), I went over it several times already.

Im judging a game by the ambitions that already exist. Youre not going to use a subjective point to claim JX as shit, sorry. (Wait, arent I doing that to? Yes... but the controls are mechanically not bad, obviously.) Plenty of fans like me had no issue with the buggies or controls, which you always claim otherwise, like on Pg1 of thread. The JX Analytical Review Video also went over some of the refined buggy controls and ambition. JX is wonderful, whether it has bad controls or not. JX played very well, and was very fun. Clocked in 110hrs in my childhood days alone (without friends), before I was even a real Jak fan. I had only liked Jak 3 during that time period.

I call that false memory. I tested this, among various other mechanics for yrs, and you cannot trigger an alert via roll jumping. ND even stripped the roll jump of its damaging properties in J2 and onward so.....

Reviews and ratings arent always accurate. Every game has issues, no point there. End result was a fun game that meshed together sim and kart mechanics quite well. Game not broken, game not bad, so that fits the well criteria.

FF: Neil Drunkmen was also a programmer for JX, and he's listed it as his favorite game to work on prior to U4 :]

You saying something is irrelevant doesn't mean shit to anyone I think. You ignore what goes against your opinion and say everything else doesn't count. Of course the sales matters as to how the games were received by the public. Jak 1 did great, Jak 2 and Jak 3, and especially Jak X bombed in comparison to their earlier games.

Why stop with Jak 1 nailing the formula much better than Jak 2 and 3 did, that just ended up as a mess? Insomniac had already done it 3 times with Spyro already. First was a bit rough around the edges, but they nailed the formula. ND and Insomniac were both working in the same building. It's sad that Insomniac got the everything right with PS1 and PS2, while ND totally lost it in latter parts of the PS2 era, trying to copy first Spyro then mix it with GTA3. The result wasn't all that enjoyable. It could have been so much better too.

I don't think it's hard to imagine how Jak 2 could have been muuuch better. Imagine instead of having these excluded areas and focus on the battle system that wasn't all that great, they could have made it open parts of the world they unlocked as they progressed, where you could head back to later and find more stuff to explore and do. It'd feel more natural and generally more enjoyable. The city could have been more interesting to explore. Unique missions, locations and variation in the level design. Nope, just a boring, static and chore of a city you ran through again and again :\

You judge a game by the ambitions that already exists? Yeah, that makes no sense at all. Does it make sense to anyone else?

There's no false memory of me roll bumping into guards and setting them off. That shit annoyed the fuck out of me, time after time. And I know I said it while I played the games and afterwards. Why would that be a false memory?

The reviews for Jak X was spot on. Mediocre.

Why should I care which game some dude who worked on the game thought was the most fun to work on? :S 

12 hours ago, MMDE said:

-Snip-

JaD is the best Jak game, and the sequels cannot compare to them. The Daxter spinoff made by Ready At Dawn is the second best game in the franchise.

J2/3/X are bad games, and no-one should ever play those games.

Im moving on now. I'd rather have new discussions.

EDIT: Just noticed your new avatar. I LOVE it. 

Edited by Mar
  • Like 1

I want to see some more discussion here, in regards to wants, expectations, concerns, etc ? (Just some subjects below...)

A lot of people are disappointed with Jak X's online mode not returning.

60FPS should be a given, but it's a serious concern for others.

Trophy wise, it better a have a platinum, since the odds of this game ever being fully remastered are pretty much 0%, so it's now or never. I specifically hope there's a Hero Mode trophy in Jak X, to raise that plat difficulty, and to really show some acknowledgement towards the existence of the harder mode.

Some will disagree here but I hope for Hero Mode trophies in the platformers/trilogy to. I'd prefer a harder list than the PS3 Remaster.

A lot of people are also concerned about certain unlockables: Jak 1/2/3 Character, Ratchet Character, Daxter Character and Daxtermobile, and the Daxter game cast. These were all unlocked on original-X through having a save data on mem-card for the 4 games, while Daxter content required a USB connection to PSP.

l

Logically, it'd make sense for the PS4 versions of the Jak Trilogy to unlock the 3 different forms of Jak on JX, but what about Daxter and Ratchet? Im not familar with emulation, so can they (Sony) or not change the coding or whatever to make Ratchet and Daxter generic unlockables (or via Daxter's char, tied to Jak II)?