Yooka Laylee reviews

ratchetdude231

6 hours ago, TVDex252 said:

I have yet to play the game, waiting for it to come to the Switch before I pick it up but I gotta agree with you. The game was kickstarted by Banjo fans, why would anyone expect them to make anything other then a Banjoish game?

18 minutes ago, iamjax said:

From what I've played thus far, I don't think it's too much about "not delivering on what was promised" so much as not refining what was once a very raw genre, which seems to be what it is getting criticized for. Raw it is, indeed. It's kind of hard to adjust to, after so many years of platformers that followed adding layers of mechanics to try and help reduce a lot of the problems that plagued earlier games like this that made some of the games Yooka Laylee harkens back to damn near unplayable in this day and age.

If you love a game that completely disregards the notion of hand holding, then you will love this game. Everything down to the way you jump around is completely devoid of all the "latter day enhancements" of platformers and everything inspired by them, where you automatically snap to a ledge, or the jump itself is predetermined before even attempting it. You just sorta jump, use Yooka's shadow to gauge where you are in the fall, and then hope you land where you want to go.

I think it's fair to say, especially after finally playing it, that reviews for this are kind of spot-on, not so much in the fact that they are negative, but the fact that they are all over the place. You either are going to love the throwback, or you are going to wish that a game like this stayed in the past. So far I'm enjoying it, but then again, I still pop in Banjo from time to time, so I kind of know what to expect. But I can definitely see how someone might absolutely hate this game.

What @TVDex252 says is basically what I feel like. We were told we were getting an N64 throwback platformer, and we got one, warts and all.

Personally, @iamjax's response after playing the game all but confirms I will love the game. I'm not expecting the second coming of Jesus (not that I would since I'm not a Christian but a follower of Poseidon, but that's besides the point), I've been told to expect Banjo-Threeie and apparently that's basically what I'm getting. I still love to play on my SNES and I can't wait for the Virtual Console on the Switch because my N64 died, to call me the target audience would be an understatement. Luckily I have enough of a gaming budget for several new titles a year, I'll look for innovation in platforming elsewhere.

• Like 2

After playing for some hours yesterday I have to agree.

They delivered a game, which made me actually say "Woah nice, it's exactly like in Banjo/Kazooie etc." more than once yesterday and I loved it from the first minute.

I still own all of my old consoles and games like b&k / b&t and I have to say, that this is the first game in years which made me say: "This is like the old days".

Of course we changed our behaviour in gaming and not every game or style from the early days is still something we might want to look back at, but in this case we got exactly what they promised and exactly what I wanted to have. A throwback to the glorious days of platforming.

I am also pretty sure that some people hate this game or don't understand why we like it, but I guess, they just haven't played all of the old stuff and just expected something rather different or innovative.

Edited by Yoey_666
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yoey_666 said:

I have to say, that this is the first game in years which made me say: "This is like the old days".

Have you tried Shovel Knight yet? I usually do not enjoy 8-bit retro graphics at all (I didn't even like the 8-bit generation while it was still new, I only started to like games when they got to 16-bit) but I have been enjoying Shovel Knight from the second I started it.

Just now, BillyHorrible said:

Have you tried Shovel Knight yet? I usually do not enjoy 8-bit retro graphics at all (I didn't even like the 8-bit generation while it was still new, I only started to like games when they got to 16-bit) but I have been enjoying Shovel Knight from the second I started it.

Yeah sure, I platinumed it and even wrote the trophy guide for Shovel Knight in the german Trophy Forum.

It was really great aswell, I enjoyed it really much.

But here I was really talking about the old Banjo Kazooie time. Of course there have been really great 8-Bit Platformers which go even more back in time. Wasn't talking about the whole genre, just about those good old RARE Stuff :) 

The really old platformers are a class for themselves. (I own them aswell, but as I said I was talking about those RARE-like gamestuff.) Wasn't clear enough about that, sorry :) 

10 minutes ago, Yoey_666 said:

Yeah sure, I platinumed it and even wrote the trophy guide for Shovel Knight in the german Trophy Forum.

It was really great aswell, I enjoyed it really much.

But here I was really talking about the old Banjo Kazooie time. Of course there have been really great 8-Bit Platformers which go even more back in time. Wasn't talking about the whole genre, just about those good old RARE Stuff :) 

The really old platformers are a class for themselves. (I own them aswell, but as I said I was talking about those RARE-like gamestuff.) Wasn't clear enough about that, sorry :) 

Yeah good point, the N64 era gets often overlooked when going for retro nostalgia games. Things like Rare (Donkey Kong 64, GoldenEye 007, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, even Diddy Kong Racing...) as well as stuff like Super Mario 64, Rogue Squadron, Star Wars Racer, Shadows Of The Empire, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time, F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, Pilotwings 64... So many awesome games in that generation.

Unfortunately as stated earlier my N64 died on me, so I'm looking to re-obtain most of that library when the Switch gets its Virtual Console titles.

I'll be extremely honest here, I fully understand the criticism towards the game, but i'll also say that the game manages to deliver what it was supposed to be in the first place. Yooka Laylee is a reimagination of the Rare games from the N64, and so far it feels and plays just like it. I won't say is better or worse because guys we can't compare the feeling of playing a game when we were 11.12 or less to adults, plus the videogame industry as a whole is totally different

I'll probably write a guide with my mate and mentor @zajac9999, so hopefully you guys will also find something to like it here. 

As always a glimpse of what to expect

Edited by Mah2c
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mah2c said:

I'll be extremely honest here, I fully understand the criticism towards the game, but i'll also say that the game manages to deliver what it was supposed to be in the first place. Yooka Laylee is a reimagination of the Rare games from the N64, and so far it feels and plays just like it. I won't say is better or worse because guys we can't compare the feeling of playing a game when we were 11.12 or less to adults, plus the videogame industry as a whole is totally different

I'll probably write a guide with my mate and mentor @zajac9999, so hopefully you guys will also find something to like it here. 

... Good lord, it's even more of a Banjo-Threeie than I expected it to be!

Okay, now I really really want it!

On 4/11/2017 at 3:55 AM, BillyHorrible said:

It might sound like a contradiction but these reviews make me even more excited for the game.

I completly understand what you're saying here. Regardless of the scores all of the gripes motivating them aren't issues to me at all, they might as well not be negative as far as I'm concerned. Issues with performance are another matter unfortunately...Hopefully they're not too serious. I still haven't really made up my mind about the game but in terms of gameplay it seems like they're delivering what they promised.

18 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

the load screens seem laggy . the game is fun though . definitely old school. it's harder for me than a souls game lol but yeah. 7.5

Yeah, load screen does get laggy for some reason, but it's still a fun game, even if there's a few frustrating things here and there.

3 hours ago, Mah2c said:

I look forward to a guide. I never played Banjo, but would love to play a platformer game. I don't have the money for this game yet, but despite critics, I still look forward to playing the hell out of the game.

On 4/12/2017 at 7:37 PM, BillyHorrible said:

... Good lord, it's even more of a Banjo-Threeie than I expected it to be!

Okay, now I really really want it!

It's really fun, it play and feels just like the old n64 Rare games. Like i said before, i didn't at first understand all the fuss since the premise for this game was to be a authentic and recreation of those games, but i understand. If you liked those games, I'm sure you will find something to like it here.

On 4/12/2017 at 9:05 PM, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

I look forward to a guide. I never played Banjo, but would love to play a platformer game. I don't have the money for this game yet, but despite critics, I still look forward to playing the hell out of the game.

Thanks, we're talking and I'm almost certain that we'll make one. I just trying my best to enjoy the game and not fall short in any future guide, I'm currently assigned to Persona 5 guide too, so that's why i had to wait and receive the ok from Zajac.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Up to now I'm on the third world, collected around 190 odd quills and 20 odd pagies on each of the 2 world's.  I'm enjoying it up to now as there's a lot to do and looks stunning. The only thing I would have liked for the game to feature is a more precise information on the collectable's that you're missing as you constantly have to roam around looking for those few things that you're missing (Like how Jak and Daxter did). Other then that I do get a lot of Banjo vibes which I like but I don't get people complaining about it because that's what was asked for

24 minutes ago, ZachBoardyHD said:

Up to now I'm on the third world, collected around 190 odd quills and 20 odd pagies on each of the 2 world's.  I'm enjoying it up to now as there's a lot to do and looks stunning. The only thing I would have liked for the game to feature is a more precise information on the collectable's that you're missing as you constantly have to roam around looking for those few things that you're missing (Like how Jak and Daxter did). Other then that I do get a lot of Banjo vibes which I like but I don't get people complaining about it because that's what was asked for

Use the hunter tonic, it will help with collectables.

Yes, the game is a lot like Banjo games, that's for sure, the nostalgia hits really hard, but it also contains the downside of the Banjo games during the N64 age, such as terrible camera (I'd even argue it's so much worse in Yooka Laylee), terrible swimming, terrible shooting, and the vehicle transformation feels absolutely horrible, as well as some issues regarding controls, which is what creates gripes for people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Griffon234 said:

Use the hunter tonic, it will help with collectables.

Yes, the game is a lot like Banjo games, that's for sure, the nostalgia hits really hard, but it also contains the downside of the Banjo games during the N64 age, such as terrible camera (I'd even argue it's so much worse in Yooka Laylee), terrible swimming, terrible shooting, and the vehicle transformation feels absolutely horrible, as well as some issues regarding controls, which is what creates gripes for people.

Ah right, I'll equipt that from now. I think atm I've got the extra butterly powerup but that's pointless as I've died about 2 times ? thanks.

With the issues I can agree with the shooting, swimming being frustrating. I think the vehicle transformations and those damn minecraft rail side missions is a pain to control. I've not gotten overally frustrated with the game... So far ?

On 5/16/2017 at 3:29 AM, ZachBoardyHD said:

Ah right, I'll equipt that from now. I think atm I've got the extra butterly powerup but that's pointless as I've died about 2 times ? thanks.

With the issues I can agree with the shooting, swimming being frustrating. I think the vehicle transformations and those damn minecraft rail side missions is a pain to control. I've not gotten overally frustrated with the game... So far ?

Just wait for Rexto's arcade in W4 I hated that more then the boss in that world which I oddly found fun

14 hours ago, LycanHero said:

Just wait for Rexto's arcade in W4 I hated that more then the boss in that world which I oddly found fun

Haha I know I've sen youtube videos of it, it looks proper hard which I probably will struggle with and controlling the minecraft is shit ?

• 6 months later...
On 12/04/2017 at 1:25 AM, Pickle Rick said:

I've been told to expect Banjo-Threeie and apparently that's basically what I'm getting. I still love to play on my SNES and I can't wait for the Virtual Console on the Switch because my N64 died, to call me the target audience would be an understatement. Luckily I have enough of a gaming budget for several new titles a year, I'll look for innovation in platforming elsewhere.

Well, finally played it myself and I love it. I think the jokes in this game are actually much funnier than in Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie.