PSA: PLATINUM IS UNOBTAINABLE

Xylobe

20 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Still 48 trophies. Funny that people won't touch it because it's not platinumable.

Well, it is incredibly frustrating if you get all the other trophies and the only one left is an otherwise super easy trophy... but it's online, and the servers are off and that keeps you from getting a platinum when you otherwise would have it.

3 hours ago, Hogie838 said:

If an online trophy becomes unobtainable it should be removed or replaced by something else IMO

I think any online trophy should be required to have an offline alternative way to unlock it. If it's Kill "X", just like double that for killing NPCs or something... or if the game has Bots, which so few do these days, at least let you unlock them that way [Perfect Dark Zero does this with it's online achievements].

I'd say that they should patch the trophies to just pop automatically or something, but I know that's not happening.

5 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I think any online trophy should be required to have an offline alternative way to unlock it. If it's Kill "X", just like double that for killing NPCs or something... or if the game has Bots, which so few do these days, at least let you unlock them that way [Perfect Dark Zero does this with it's online achievements].

I totally agree with this statement here and the new Mass Effect Andromeda game does that with certain trophies where you can get it in single player OR in multi. Most of the time though, game developers/publishers want to have the money as soon as possible and anyone who likes the series and likes trophies will get it sooner rather then later...

I dont play my PS3 much but will keep this in mind but dont mind trying to just play the game as much as possible even with an 'UNOBTAINABLE' trophy

4 hours ago, MrDan71 said:

I like how his opinion is the only one that matters. Especially when he is on a Trophy site. Why troll a site for trophy hunters? Maybe he's lonely and can only disagree with others. :/

Butthurt. Do I even need to respond to this?

3 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Sounds like a good way to get gaming related job.

Or get fired because you would be playing instead of working :awesome: 

Now here's someone that understands what a joke looks like. Kudos.

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I brought up my platinum obsession in job interviews. I bring it up a lot with my students. They get a kick out of it.

It's no different from, say, collecting sports memorabilia (which I don't anymore) or comics (which I still do).

I swear, you write the strangest things. I can't think of a better reason to avoid something than because I don't get what I want out of it. Again, that just seems like basic economics.

There isn't a difference. But you'll always come across people that think that it's a waste of time, money, and resources. 

Am I saying that I am holier than thou? I don't know, looks like a lot of people here aren't very happy with my opinion. Guess how little I care though.

I can't think of a better reason not to play something you otherwise would, if it had a platinum trophy and was easy and mildly entertaining to do in the process.

3 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

Looking at your profile, I can see why it doesn't make sense to you. It doesn't make sense to me why my goals and how I game would bother someone who doesn't even know me.

It's fine to share your opinion. To call those who aren't like-minded "comical" is showing everyone you're a condescending asshole.

Correct. I'm glad that it took a profile view for you to understand my line of thinking. It's almost as if I have other priorities than playing games and hunting for platinums. Notice how I said hunting platinums but not playing games? That's an important key here. 

I don't see how it's condescending at all. And thank you for giving me permission to share my permission. I greatly appreciate it. 

Never said I wasn't an asshole. Won't stop being an asshole either. Don't get so upset just because my opinion isn't akin to your own.

5 hours ago, MrDan71 said:

And that game is available for the PS4 and works properly. Whereas the PS3 version is no longer working as was intended. And opinion is only "truth" to whom it matters most. I get missing out on a great game for a trophy is sad, but again this IS a trophy site. Trophies matter to most of us and to tell us otherwise and to insult us as a result IS trolling.

But not everybody has or has access to a PS4. To assume so is ignorance.

I'm not a completionist, and I don't get why so many people value trophies so much, but to each their own... I love going on holidays and I can't understand why several people around me are not into going abroad at all.

That being said... trophies can influence even me. If a game has either bad MP trophies or unobtainables, that can keep me from going for the other trophies. I've never gone for the 100% in the single player of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed Revelations because I knew I would not get through the MP trophies anyway so a 100% platinum was out of the quiestion. I've made a big deal about having the Ezio Collection and in the past year I've forced myself to grind out the AC III and the AC IV multiplayer so that I now can go for the platinum in all main AC games.

I won't refuse to play a game because of MP or unobtainable trophies, though. I still play them, I just disregard the trophies more than usual. Started Bulletstorm about a year after the servers closed because I finally had a PS3 and the game was recommended to me.

I definitely want to play the two Darksiders games at some point as I'll probably enjoy them a lot, seeing as I have both a PS3 and a PS4 I would go for the PS4 version anyway though.

14 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Well, it is incredibly frustrating if you get all the other trophies and the only one left is an otherwise super easy trophy... but it's online, and the servers are off and that keeps you from getting a platinum when you otherwise would have it.

I'd say that they should patch the trophies to just pop automatically or something, but I know that's not happening.

But if we patch the online trophies to pop automatically, it devalues the work of everyone who got the trophies before the servers shut.

28 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

I'm not a completionist, and I don't get why so many people value trophies so much, but to each their own... I love going on holidays and I can't understand why several people around me are not into going abroad at all.

That being said... trophies can influence even me. If a game has either bad MP trophies or unobtainables, that can keep me from going for the other trophies. I've never gone for the 100% in the single player of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed Revelations because I knew I would not get through the MP trophies anyway so a 100% platinum was out of the quiestion. I've made a big deal about having the Ezio Collection and in the past year I've forced myself to grind out the AC III and the AC IV multiplayer so that I now can go for the platinum in all main AC games.

I won't refuse to play a game because of MP or unobtainable trophies, though. I still play them, I just disregard the trophies more than usual. Started Bulletstorm about a year after the servers closed because I finally had a PS3 and the game was recommended to me.

I definitely want to play the two Darksiders games at some point as I'll probably enjoy them a lot, seeing as I have both a PS3 and a PS4 I would go for the PS4 version anyway though.

But... You're still missing the AC: B/AC: R plat on PS3, so you don't really have every main game plat, do you? ;)

If you have the motivation to do AC IV, Brotherhood and Revelations shouldn't be an issue.

I don't even know what to say about @Valyrious. Why would someone play a game they can't even finish? What's the point? Especially when there's a version that is actually beatable on PS4.

7 minutes ago, madbuk said:

But if we patch the online trophies to pop automatically, it devalues the work of everyone who got the trophies before the servers shut.

Agreed. the online thingie for this game is trivial but looking at the trophies for Bulletstorm, for instance...

But... You're still missing the AC: B/AC: R plat on PS3, so you don't really have every main game plat, do you? ;)

Har har... if I'm not mistaken, you guys call that multiplats. For me, it's enough to know that I went for 100% completion in the games once. Though I actually already 100%ed Liberation on the X360, but I'll still do it again on the PS3 since I'm ignoring my Xbox profile these days, and I still 100%ed AC II on PS4 even though I already did so on PS3 because it's fun. I'll definitely keep ignoring the PS3 versions of Brotherhood and Revelations though.

If you have the motivation to do AC IV, Brotherhood and Revelations shouldn't be an issue.

IV and III were just grinding wolfpack with a few people (or if need be, solo) though. I liked wolfpack. I didn't like the Revelations MP and I only liked the Brotherhood MP for a few hours before getting bored. Both of those games have way too many random stuff that needs to happen for trophies, which I'd have to boost to get through. That's not something I enjoy and that is why I never got an AC platinum after AC II, until Syndicate (even Unity had too much grinding for me to want to go for the platinum right away).

Like I said, I'm absolutely not a completionist and too many MP or grindy stuff in the trophies and I'll just ignore the game once I get through the story :)

I don't even know what to say about @Valyrious. Why would someone play a game they can't even finish? What's the point? Especially when there's a version that is actually beatable on PS4.

I'd play PS4 over PS3 just for the graphical update. Trophy-wise, I don't mind starting a game with an unobtainable and have done so on a couple of occasions. What matters to me is if I'll enjoy playing the game, I have no problems with ignoring a trophy list. I'll still start Call Of Juarez: Bound In Blood at some point - there are unobtainables in that by now, right? Nope, still obtainable. Well, if Wander ever goes on PS+ I will play it. Not as good an example as I had hoped, but still. Batman Arkham Origins I'll still play at some point as well. I've played Dante's Inferno on X360 but might replay it at some point, definitely will do so if it's ever on PS+. Same goes for Warp.

I enjoy gaming. but with my own family and other priorities it's very hard to trophy hunt like I used to. do I miss it? yes. it's just a lack of time I have for gaming. if I can put in 10 hours it's at the cost of no sleep.

that said. I don't care about trophy count scores etc. it's a fun side hobby. to those who do so all day 24/7... it's your choice. but trophies are virtual accomplishments. gaming can help deal with depression or tough reality. but temporarily. you having 20k trophies isn't going to make you a remembered person in society. go make something of yourself and keep gaming to a controlled amount.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, madbuk said:

Define finish. Because I'm sure what you mean by finish is getting the precious 100% completion and the platinum. For me, finishing a game means you... actually finish the game. You know, beat the boss, get the gurl. Watch 5 minutes worth of credits. Which certainly looks like it's possible with the PS3. Let's ignore platinum trophies for two seconds. 

Edited by Stevieboy
unacceptable comment

On 4/5/2017 at 11:50 AM, Valyrious said:

Except they don't enjoy it if they neglect a game because a meaningless platinum is unachieveable. I get it, I'm the unpopular opinion, because everybody treats platinum like money on this site, but I'll never not play a game I otherwise would, just because I can't get a platinum.

You can say something is a hobby, or something is for fun, but when you purposely avoid something because you can't get something specific out of it... that's just shitty.

Justify it all you want. I know some of you will.

Hey there,

You know this is a website pretty much devoted to trophy hunting right? People on this site (myself included) enjoy the meta game involved in trophy hunting, 100% completion runs, ultra rare trophy collecting, etc. We all care about that stuff in various ways. It's not shitty in the least. You can think it's shitty but the moment you purposely come into a specific thread about trophy hunting and belittle other people's enjoyment, that's when you become an asshole. I know you said you don't really care about anyone's opinion of your character but maybe you should keep those kinds of opinions to yourself unless asked, o.k.? You don't want to gain a rep as the person most people would kick down a flight of stairs would you? ?

On 4/4/2017 at 3:43 PM, MeteorHawk said:

It really is a pity. I remember back in 2013 when the studio was folding and the servers shut down before I got the trophy. They came back up briefly, thankfully, but now they're gone for good it deprives many of the opportunity for an enjoyable plat. 

Yup, I remember getting this trophy back in the day. I didn't really think about it much at the time, I just saw that there was a trophy that took about 60 sec. to get so I did it with another player I was boosting something else with. Who knew I was safeguarding my Darksiders 2 platinum at the time? ?

19 minutes ago, The_Blackout_Kid said:

Hey there,

You know this is a website pretty much devoted to trophy hunting right?

Nope, lots of people on this site who don't identify as trophy hunters, myself included. The website is pretty much devoted to gaming though. Personally I enjoy the overall stats and I like the events people can create for themselves, I also use the forums to discuss games. Trophies don't factor into it. Yes, the ratio hunting to non-hunting gamers on this site is higher than on PSN in general but it is by no means an exclusive club.

Can't we all just get along?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Nope, lots of people on this site who don't identify as trophy hunters, myself included. The website is pretty much devoted to gaming though. Personally I enjoy the overall stats and I like the events people can create for themselves, I also use the forums to discuss games. Trophies don't factor into it. Yes, the ratio hunting to non-hunting gamers on this site is higher than on PSN in general but it is by no means an exclusive club.

Can't we all just get along?

Notice I said pretty much. Not all...pretty much...not exclusive...pretty much

That doesn't mean that people need to disrespect other people's opinions, desires or ideas.

We can get along if everyone respects one another. ?

1 hour ago, The_Blackout_Kid said:

Notice I said pretty much. Not all...pretty much...not exclusive...pretty much

That doesn't mean that people need to disrespect other people's opinions, desires or ideas.

We can get along if everyone respects one another. 1f609.png

Yeah, I'm disputing the "pretty much" though. With what I've read on this site, I seriously doubt if even half the people active in the forums are trophy hunters.

To each their own, if you like it then good luck to you, I'm just annoyed by the implication that just because the main site tracks trophies, the site would be mostly for completionists. It's just not true (you're not the first to say something like this or I would have reacted with more patience).

8 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

You use bold an awful lot. Go ahead and kick me down a flight of stairs, and see how far it gets you. Just shows how immature you are.

When you have to defend something so vehemently, it shows you're upset. Get over it, kiddo.

Seriously, can't both sides just be nice to each other and respect that not everybody likes gaming the same way? There's enough people out there ridiculing gamers, we don't need to start amongst ourselves.

• 4 weeks later...