No Game No Life (A discussion about goals)

AdventjX

Hi everyone,

So I just had a random thought today and wondered what goals you might have (short-term or long-term) as far as your quest for trophies, plats, etc. is concerned. I wanted to make a post and just briefly share with the community to get a firm grasp on what I should be focusing on without sidetracking and see where I stand. These forums have a way of motivating you very unexpectedly, even just by sharing these thoughts with others who share a common interest, you know? I'm genuinely curious about how you guys outline your own GAMING LIFE ROADMAP as well and would like to see if I can apply some of your strategies to my own.

As of now, here is a general breakdown you might consider using:

100% or Platinum (priority): Do you prefer to focus on 100% completion or Platinum #? Obviously, you might prefer both. If so, which one comes first?

New Game Purchase List: What games do you have your eyes on next? Are there any games that have come out recently, but you have so many games in your collection already that you have an urge to complete those first before buying any more new games? Or are you so bored and fed up with your current games that you need a fresh new stock?

Old Game Completion Checklist: Sick of those 0%-10% completion bars in your trophy list, but can't motivate yourself to ever pop that disc back in and just play the damn game? LOL I know I have... Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag has been sitting at 28% for over a year, and I hate scrolling down because it always reminds me that I'm a quitter (sometimes).

Miscellaneous Goals: Want to rack up your trophies per day to 4.00? How about 20+ platinums by the end of 2017? Let us know!

Multiplayer Game Checklist: So this is just a section I added for your own interest if you're looking for people to play with. I figured adding a list of games that you're interested in playing might spark some interest in people who happen to come across your post and say "Hey! I'm playing that game too". As for me, I have a definite tendency to set apart my multiplayer games from my single player games. Almost always, I play 1 multiplayer game for every 3 single player games I play, but the multiplayer games are definitely more difficult to motivate myself to complete. So here's a toast to new friendships and bonds, forged through the heat of battle!

- The only multiplayer game I am playing right now is Toukiden 2. I am also currently looking to make a return to Dying Light and Destiny, if anyone wants to co-op. Dying Light is just a hassle if I want to solo, and Destiny... I was never any good at Halo-esque games so some might assistance would be much appreciated~! Other past games that I still need to complete are Warhammer Vermintide, Alienation, and Sniper Elite 3.

** On a side note, please underline any games that are listed in your post so that everyone can have an easier time with the read. (optional)

Thank you for your time. Best regards, hunters!

• Like 2

Hi there! This idea sounds nice, so I'll share my experience using your suggested breakdown ;)

100% or Platinum (priority): My priority is a 100% average completion rate and thus I only add games that I like to my list. Of course that this habit came after I decided to take my completion to 100%, so I ended up 100%ing games I didn't like, just cause I had them on my backlog... Sims 3 and CoD: BO2 are examples of those, although I ended up liking BO2 and nowadays I do play it just for fun, but only zombies.

New Game Purchase List: I tend to buy digital games on sale, but I do not have THAT MUCH TIME to play, between work and college. So right now I have a couple games waiting and that list is slowly growing :facepalm: Being a completionist also makes me take my time before I start a new game. Side note: I do play games on another account, one where completion doesn't bother me... Damn OCD :S

Old Game Completion Checklist: As I said before, I try to keep everything under control, so no unfinished lists so far :D

Miscellaneous Goals: Milestones. Although I usually don't mind whether a game has a platinum trophy or not, I do try to plan my milestones (though they not always result as planned LOL) I started doing this since my 1000th  trophy, and I'm currently trying to make my milestones count. For instanse, right now I'm 1 plat away from my 30th plat milestone, and thus I'm having a difficult time choosing it... I think that MGR: Revengeance could be quite appropriate, but since I saw the plat for Stories: the Path of Destinies I also want THAT ONE as a milestone. The thing is that I do own MGS but not Stories, so I've been waiting for it to go on sale ? Maybe I should stop waiting and leave that one for my 50th plat? ?

Multiplayer Game Checklist: I don't play online much, I dislike trophies that depend on other people regardless of one's skills. For example those in which you need to be in a lobby of an X-amount of people  and suddenly 1 of them leaves after some minutes and you have to start all over... F*CK THAT SH*T  :rolleyes:
I'm not the best-skilled player, but I do put everything I have into the game. If anyone needs help on any CoD BO2 zombies trophy do not hesitate in asking for help. As I said, I'm not the best, but I'm willing to help ;) Now, don't blame me if I suck and you don't get the trophy!! :lol:

I think this is it, now let's see what someone else has to say :popcorn: 

Edited by Gray-Fox-44
  • Like 3

Sounds fun, let's see:

100% or Platinum (priority): Overall I just get the games I want whether they have a platinum or just 100%... but overall, platinum, because I won't stay away from games just because they would be too hard to plat. I also won't buy DLC just to get 100%, only if I'm interested in the DLC itself

New Game Purchase List: What games... a lot of them, both "old" and upcoming. And I have a huge backlog as it is.. Will most likely get a few more games from the Easter sale :D

Old Game Completion Checklist: Yeah, I've been meaning to go back to a bunch of these... recently plated Sega Mega Drive Collection, been working on Puppeteer a bit (those 2-player coop trophies are a PAIN when I don't have anyone to play with)

Miscellaneous Goals: Thinking at least 25 plats and 1200 on Norway leaderboard by the end of the year :3

Multiplayer Game Checklist: Littlebigplanet Vita, mostly, for 2player level collectibles. Generally I mainly play games with only singleplayer trophies

Edited by Zanreo

100% or Platinum: Between the 2: Plat. Would definitely go with the DLC stuffs if I really enjoyed playing the game.
New Game Purchase List: How new is new? anyway, in my wish list: Hatsune Miku Future Tone DLCs, Nonary Game, Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn.
Old Game Completion Checklist: as of now, none, I often finish game that I started before starting a new one. If I cannot finish a game, I often left them as is (yeah, that includes Drake's Fortune)
Miscellaneous Goals: Don't have one tbh. If I had to say something, retaining 90+% Completion would be nice.
Multiplayer Game Checklist: None. I HATE MP STUFFS. 

100% or Platinum (priority): I am very content with the fact I will never get close to a 100% profile. As for individual games, although it is nice to see 100% on the profile, if I'm missing some particularly difficult trophies in a game I feel I've played a decent amount of, that doesn't really bother me. I also don't buy a lot of DLC. Platinum count would therefore take priority, although I would add that 100% games without a platinum are equal to platinums in my eyes. It's nice to see the numbers go up but I won't play games I'm not enjoying for either.

New Game Purchase List: I am terrible when it comes to buying games. I can split this into 3 categories.

1. I am very easily sucked into the hype surrounding a launch and end up buying new games that if I'm honest with myself I could probably leave to fall in price. However, if I buy a game new it means I'm almost certainly going to play it straight away and get swept up in it (this week it's Snake Pass - I've one eye on Yooka-Laylee), which usually leads to it having a higher completion percentage for me (or I actually follow through with the plat - see Horizon Zero Dawn).
  2. I'm much, much worse with games on sale. I have a lot of games which I see for a low price and think it's a good idea to pick up because I'll definitely play it sometime soon. I often don't find the time because of games from point 1. (Watch Dogs 2 in the EU sale fits this fairly well)
  3. I'm bored, want something new and see a neat looking indie game. This one I have to stop myself from doing the most, because I should really go and sort out my backlog instead. You do stumble across some gems this way though (The Unfinished Swan).

Unfortunately this means I have quite the substantial backlog. Which leads onto...

Old Game Completion Checklist: This is the one that probably motivates me the most. Seeing low completion percentages on games makes me feel like I haven't properly experienced that game and so want to try and go back and raise these as much as possible. The Last of Us, Dishonored, The Witcher 3, Skyrim, Doom, Thief, Bioshock. All games I started one day and haven't really dug into since. They shame me. There are a few games I own that I haven't played at all. I keep those ones off my profile. 

Miscellaneous Goals: My completion percentage and number of unearned trophies are the two stats I'd like to see improve. I haven't set specific goals for either of these, but as long as they are trending in the right direction I'll be happy.

Multiplayer Game Checklist: Most of the multiplayer games I play I get because my friends all get it at the same time. They're great fun, but it's always hard to organise times when we can all play. The FPS games for multiplayer I often won't play on my own, because I'm not very good and therefore don't enjoy it as much. Battlefield 4 and Star Wars: Battlefront fall into this category. Co-op games I feel guilty about playing without them, moving the story ahead feels like going behind their backs. Dying Light, Neverwinter and the Borderlands would be further along if I just decided to go solo. I've had great experiences so far setting up sessions with people on this site, so I will look to do this more in the future.

Just as an extra note - VR Games: I have quite a few VR titles with not many trophies. Although I adore the kit and many of the games, it is harder to sit down and hunt in VR games. I did this for Batman Arkham VR, only for the 100% to glitch on me :/ 

100% or Platinum (priority): Completing things to 100% >>>>>> Platinum amount

New Game Purchase List: All the weeb games!

Old Game Completion Checklist: The only one for here is Band Hero which wasn't even started by me and I keep searching for a way to obtain instruments without actually investing into them =D

Miscellaneous Goals

• 97% completion
  • Number 1 rank on Vita country leaderboard
  • TOP 1000 on global Vita leaderboard.

Long Time Goals

• Maintaining percentage of weeb plats on 50% and higher
  • Having 25% of unreadable Plats
  • Maintaining Vita amount of Plats higher than PS3 + PS4

Multiplayer Game Checklist: Screw MP.

• Like 2

Might as well add my two cents on this:

100% or Platinum: 100 percent, which means games with DLC content. I won't reach 100 percent completion but I feel that people who have a high completion percentage of 90 percent or so have experienced most of the content in the games they played. Someone with a very low percentage average hasn't played their games a whole lot, or doesn't bother to look at all content, including DLC.

New Game Purchase List: I have my eyes on a few. Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Resident Evil 7, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Nier Automata among others. God of War 2017, The Last of Us 2, and Red Dead Redemption 2 are three more I'm looking to get sometime after they get released, but that likely won't be until next year.

Old Game Completion Checklist: Too much I want to list here. I have Assassins Creed III, Black Flag, Syndicate and Unity on my profile that I all want to play through. Syndicate I will play very shortly, Unity and III I may touch upon this summer and Black Flag just needs the multiplayer trophies taken care of.

There are others like DOOM and Grand Theft Auto V. DOOM I will be playing in a few months, but I have no plans for GTA V as I have no interest in spending 200+ hours in obtaining the multiplayer trophies in both versions, since the character transfer was closed last month.

Currently undecided on picking Fallout 4 or The Witcher 3 as my 100th platinum. Bloodborne is also a contender but I haven't put it on my profile yet.

Not sure when I'll be doing Batman: Arkham City. Currently have no plans on Demon Souls for the time being.

I am dropping the PS3 versions of Assassins Creed Brotherhood and Revelations as I can't be bothered for the multiplayer. Maybe at some point I will jump back into Revelations since I heard the trophies aren't that difficult, but Brotherhood requires a good team for it's multiplayer and.... yeah. Red Dead Redemption was bad enough.

Then there's the fact that I have 75 - 80 games on my backlog, plus 20 - 30 games on my wishlist. I got a lot of work to do.

Miscellaneous Goals: Right now I'm just aiming for 3.00 trophies per day. My average is a lot lower than it should be because I made my PSN account in January 2013 and for the first two years, I did not trophy hunt. I didn't take trophy hunting seriously until July 2015, and since then I've accumulated over 3500 trophies. I'm definitely proud of myself.

I'm also working to obtain at least a 90 percent overall completion average. This means you've played most of your games to the end and gained most of their trophies. It's a sign that you're a thorough player, because I personally hate seeing a profile list of unfinished games with only one or two trophies.

Multiplayer Game Checklist: With the exception of single player games I have with tacked on multiplayer, or competitive multiplayer added in, I have no interest in multiplayer. This means no Warframe, Battleborn, SMITE or Overwatch. Multiplayer trophies are some of my least favorite trophies.

Also, at some point, servers will shut down, rendering multiplayer trophies unobtainable.

Just look at Dead Star. That was the first game in a long time that was released with trophies, and then shut down in the same year. THAT is the perfect example why trophy hunters shouldn't focus on multiplayer only games heavily, especially when bullshit like that happens.

Boosting sucks and it's a pain. But what can you do...

Edited by Spaz

100% or Platinum: Mine is by far Platinum. I usually do whatever is required for the plat and once I get it, I never play the game again and move on. If 100% is not required for the plat, I would not bother, although almost all the games I've played seem to require 100% or close to it for the plat. My aims at the moment are Tales of Berseria, Stein's Gate and Atelier Sophie. I never buy DLC unless it's a part of the story, like how FFXIII-2 and Tales of Zestiria were. If I do, I limit myself to only one or two visual items, like a costume for my favourite character (not the whole party). I would but dlc for game that I don't really like though e.g. I didn't but any of the coliseum battles in XIII-2 except Lightnings Goddess DLC, and I hated Tales of Zesteria so no costumes for anyone in that game. I would never buy weapons, levels, exp. multipliers or anything else that makes the game otherwise easy. 

New Game Purchase List: FFXV, KH 1.5 + 2.5 remake, KH2.8, World of Final Fantasy, Persona 5, FFXII and VII remakes are just a few that I want to buy but haven't/ may not on release day due to my backlog and busy schedule. Disgaea 5 and Crash Bandicoot remake also look pretty enticing, and I'd always been meaning to try one of the Yakuza games but never got around to it. 

Old Game Completion Checklist: I got a few free games on Plus which I just downloaded, played a bit and then never finished. Disgaea 4 A promise revisited, Persona 4 Golden, Hatsune Miku Project Diva F and Atelier Sophie. I completed just the story for Tales of Zestiria, but I hated the game and the weapon system, so I never bothered with the platinum or the extra dungeon.  

Miscellaneous Goals: My goals are not too big, although I would like to plat ToB, Steins gate, FFXV and Atelier Sophie by the end of the year. Also, I want to complete the story for Disgaea 4.

Multiplayer Game Checklist: I don't plat multiplayer, so no goals here. I'm always very late in the game, in that by the time I get around to playing the game the servers are down. This happened to me for Lightning Returns in terms of the online shop thing and Tomb Raider, which had a few online trophies. 

100% or Platinum (priority): 100% completion, I don't really care about how many platinums, just that I complete the games I do play

New Game Purchase List: I have a growing Amazon list, haha.  I still have my mind in the world of the old PS2, so I try not to buy games for more than $20.  So I keep my eyes on things, hoping they drop below that.  Right now I'm watching Danganrompa 2, Final Fantasy X/X-2, some Neptunina games and more.  Of the new, new games I can't wait to get my hands on Persona 5 and there are a few VN I've got my eyes on like Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds

Old Game Completion Checklist: A few games are just...going to be stuck forever probably but I am going to finish up Kingdom Hearts.  It doesn't look like it but I'm trying nearly every day to finish Birth By Sleep.  I'm stuck on Unknown Figure so that might...be a while.

Miscellaneous Goals: All the non-PS4 exclusive KH games platted!  Since, ya know, no PS4

Multiplayer Game Checklist:  I refuse to play multiplayer...haha.  Couch co-op only

100% or Platinum: Although i have many unstarted games i still prefer the 100%, when i start a game i want to fully complete it.

New Game Purchase List: A lot of games to which i'm looking forward, want to play Nioh, Nier Automata, Wildlands, Flatout 4, Yooka Laylee. And keeping an eye on a lot of games that will be coming out this year like Gran Turismo Sport, Project Cars 2.

Old Game Completion Checklist: Not many that i have planned, but i have a list of about 20 games that i definetely want to play, games on here include Saints Row 3, Kingdoms of Amalur and the Fallout games

Miscellaneous Goals: In the beginning i wanted to reach 200 trophies per month, but that is not realistic anymore because i have hardly any time and i'm running out of easy games to boost that count. Now i want to reach 100, that is very doable, even with just AAA games, which have a lower trophy per hour rate. Yes, i really calculated that (in my spreadsheet on excel). Furthermore i have no goals, with a profile like mine a completion percentage is very unrealistic, i just want to enjoy the games that i play.

Multiplayer Game Checklist: I've just done my own PS3 project, in which i've done at least 15 PS3 multiplayers, i still want to do a couple of them. They are AC: Revelations, Bioshock 2, Crysis 3, those are for the summer. Furthermore the PS4, those are mostly easy multiplayers that can be knocked out in one evening.

Just now, Satoshi Ookami said:

Ouchie :( Bad Germans xD

Fortunately, there aren't skippers in my country so I have a chance =D Even though I need 10 more Plats at least :D

I'm sure there are enough weeb games in your backlog to fill the gap, heck you even have two unfinished right now. :P

But hey, I'm still surprised that even with all those skippers in the first 50 places or so I'm doing not that shabby:

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/psvita/de?page=2&h=crimsonidol-de#crimsonidol-de

Spoiler

:awesome:

100% or Platinum: I would love to 100% or plat' every game on my profile but that is almost impossible or very improbable. But, I've come to accept that and have moved on. So I put together plans on how many trophies I will try and earn for each game I play and hope for the best.

New Game Purchase List: All I can say is "Damn those PSN Flash Sales!!!" ? I try not to, but then along comes a sale on a game that I was curious about playing and the next thing you know I'm downloading it off the Playstation Store. I've got 190 games on my profile but I don't have all of them now. So I try to only buy the games that are on "The List".

Old Game Completion Checklist: At this point, I consider every game on this list an old game in the need of completion.

Miscellaneous Goals: 60 platinums by Dec. 31 2017. I'm slightly behind on that schedule. I've thought about just playing and plat'd the easy games on my list but I'm not sure if I should or not. I keep thinking I should do the hard ones first. I'm so confused ?

Multiplayer Game Checklist: I try to avoid MP trophies when I can. Rarely do I find a game where the MP trophies are worth while. Right now, I'm enjoying the heck out of RE: Revelations 2 in Raid Mode. I'm late to the party playing it but it's still alot of fun. It's a shame that there are only 3 trophies tied to Raid Mode. I know you can play it solo but it would be cool if there where more trophies tied to it. Maybe that would attract a large number of players to it. I'm less of a competitive MP player. I enjoy more Co-op MP style games (Horde Mode or Story Mode) like RE: Revelations 2, Borderlands, Mass Effect 3, COD Zombies etc.

45 minutes ago, Brightblade76 said:

I'll streamline my explanation, goal: keep my 100% completion by playing games I like, no matter how hard they are or how much dedication they require.

I applaud you good sir/madam. That is dedication. I wish I could do that but life has dealt me a different hand. I would need 90 days of paid vacation to 100% my profile ?

Edited by The_Blackout_Kid

16 minutes ago, The_Blackout_Kid said:

I applaud you good sir/madam. That is dedication. I wish I could do that but life has dealt me a different hand. I would need 90 days of paid vacation to 100% my profile 1f601.png

Sir. Thanks :D

Don't have that much free time myself, I mostly play over weekends, in fact some games took me years to complete, could have started many other games instead of focusing on those games, don't think it depends on how much gaming time you have but how you decide to use it.

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

I'm sure there are enough weeb games in your backlog to fill the gap, heck you even have two unfinished right now. :P

Of course =D 

But hey, I'm still surprised that even with all those skippers in the first 50 places or so I'm doing not that shabby:

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/psvita/de?page=2&h=crimsonidol-de#crimsonidol-de

TOP 100, nice =D

Spoiler

Oh yea, it still exists, also tried it day after :awesome: 

Reveal hidden contents

:awesome:

Nice :3

I'm also doing pretty good for Vita country leaderboard:

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/psvita/no?page=2&h=Zanreo#Zanreo

4 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

Nice :3

I'm also doing pretty good for Vita country leaderboard:

https://psnprofiles.com/leaderboard/psvita/no?page=2&h=Zanreo#Zanreo

I somehow have to convince Sony so we can change regions of our accounts. The -de wouldn't make sense at all but it would give me a top spot in the Vita-leaderboard. Or maybe I should switch to the Czech Republic? :D

100% or Platinum: Getting the 100% completion in a game is more important to me than the platinum itself, although it's a nice benefit. I plan on going back to many of the games I started but haven't completed in the past, and I'll always go for DLC trophies whenever possible. A game isn't ever truly finished until you get that beautiful S rank next to it. ^_^

New Game Purchase List: When a game comes out that I know I'm going to enjoy, I'll often purchase it on launch, even when I know I won't be playing it for quite a while. There are some games that I'm more on the fence about, so I'll buy them when they're cheap instead. Those would include things like: Nioh, Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey, Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force, Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star, The Last Guardian, A.O.T. Wings of Freedom, and Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix.

Old Game Completion Checklist: I plan on going back to almost every game on my profile without 100% completion at some point apart from the games that have multiplayer trophies. The full list is too long to write down. I would like to get back to Star Ocean: The Last Hope and try to platinum that, but I don't know if I can justify the time investment when I have so many other games in my backlog. I've also been meaning to get back to the FFXIII trilogy forever, but something always gets in the way. :P

Miscellaneous Goals: My main goal right now is to reach 90% completion overall. I'm hoping to do that by the end of this year. I'd also like to rack up some more UR platinums. It's always super satisfying when you manage to get them.

Multiplayer Game Checklist: I don't really care much for multiplayer games and I usually try to avoid games with online trophies. Any game on my profile with unearned MP trophies is probably something I can't be bothered with. :P

2 hours ago, Brightblade76 said:

I'll streamline my explanation, goal: keep my 100% completion by playing games I like, no matter how hard they are or how much dedication they require.

Me too! I started this way on the 360 and brought it over to Playstation more recently. So my games list isn't very long yet.