This Game is Badass

I was considering buying this game for a while, but with the huge amount of good games that came out recently, I just couldn't find the time.

Then it got discounted to about €5 in a month that I didn't have a lot of money to spend, so I got it and I'm really happy I did.

Story is decent and the fighting mechanics are really cool. Only (minor) issues I had with the game is the fast travel system (taxis that keep driving of, or the controls don't register properly so you steel the car instead of hiring the taxi) and the OP police. There were times I tried to escape a situation with 2 cops (on foot) in front of my car. Figured I run them over and get away quickly, but in mere seconds they managed to blow up the car with a couple of handguns ?.

All in all it's a very fun game and the DLC's that are included it the definitive edition are alright too.

• Like 1

I really enjoy this game when I'm actually playing it, it's probably my favourite GTA style game - better than GTA itself (I can't stand GTA V at all), but when I stop playing it I find it hard to find motivation to go back to it, which is odd.

I'm really not a fan of what they did with the sequel though. First they go ahead and make an MMO spin-off, then they start leaking that MMO style into their sequel of a predominantly single-player focused game (I mean yeah, there's the social hub, but who honestly uses that? xD)

I honestly wouldn't have even thought about touching their theoretical Sleeping Dogs 2 if it ever saw the light despite enjoying 1 enough to buy it twice with intent to stack, it would've been victim to the MP plague that raged rampant last gen, eating up SP franchises with garbage tacked on MP that subtracted from the SP (Tomb Raider comes to mind, but there's also Uncharted and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting).

2 hours ago, Ric said:

I was considering buying this game for a while, but with the huge amount of good games that came out recently, I just couldn't find the time.

Then it got discounted to about €5 in a month that I didn't have a lot of money to spend, so I got it and I'm really happy I did.

Story is decent and the fighting mechanics are really cool. Only (minor) issues I had with the game is the fast travel system (taxis that keep driving of, or the controls don't register properly so you steel the car instead of hiring the taxi) and the OP police. There were times I tried to escape a situation with 2 cops (on foot) in front of my car. Figured I run them over and get away quickly, but in mere seconds they managed to blow up the car with a couple of handguns 1f610.png.

All in all it's a very fun game and the DLC's that are included it the definitive edition are alright too.

Story is completely mindblowing IMO, and yeah fast travel is annoying how you have to find taxis and whatnot...but at least the loading screens are fast! The cops operate really weirdly in this game as with me I felt that they wouldn't get off your tail until a certain period of time. The first DLC was meh but the second one was enjoyable.

2 hours ago, OhDearGodRun said:

This game is amazing. Maybe Square Enix could give the license to another developer to make a sequel. Hopefully, the movie won't be crap, but it'll probably be crap.

They're making a movie? What?!

2 hours ago, iMichal9 said:

I will probably get this one day as I like these kind of games. Also its very cheap which is always a bonus. Not been hearing much about this but it does look good..

Ehhh IDK about you but it isn't very cheap where I live, $30 on the PSN store, but that's not to say you can't find a physical second hand copy!

1 hour ago, snakebit10 said:

I got it when it first came out on PS4 and I am glad I did. I really enjoyed it. So yeah I would hope another developer could get the license to make a sequel.

Agreed!

1 hour ago, madbuk said:

I really enjoy this game when I'm actually playing it, it's probably my favourite GTA style game - better than GTA itself (I can't stand GTA V at all), but when I stop playing it I find it hard to find motivation to go back to it, which is odd.

I'm really not a fan of what they did with the sequel though. First they go ahead and make an MMO spin-off, then they start leaking that MMO style into their sequel of a predominantly single-player focused game (I mean yeah, there's the social hub, but who honestly uses that? xD)

I honestly wouldn't have even thought about touching their theoretical Sleeping Dogs 2 if it ever saw the light despite enjoying 1 enough to buy it twice with intent to stack, it would've been victim to the MP plague that raged rampant last gen, eating up SP franchises with garbage tacked on MP that subtracted from the SP (Tomb Raider comes to mind, but there's also Uncharted and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting).

BETTER than GTA? Brave words my friend, I myself have never been a big fan of GTA but I didn't think there were people that would put this game up there. Also could you elaborate on why exactly you wouldn't buy the sequel? You started saying something about the PC-only online game and how it would affect a later installment but I'm confused. 

Not quite as polished as GTA but still a solid game, it's an absolute steal at some of the recent discount prices it's been at. My favourite aspects of the game were the depth and quality of the combat as well as the representation of Hong Kong, it made a nice change to play a game like this in a different setting and the areas here were so vibrant.

I just started to get a little bored by the time I dipped into the DLC but was entertained for all of my ride, really happy to play it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, g-bake_1986 said:

Not quite as polished as GTA but still a solid game, it's an absolute steal at some of the recent discount prices it's been at. My favourite aspects of the game were the depth and quality of the combat as well as the representation of Hong Kong, it made a nice change to play a game like this in a different setting and the areas here were so vibrant.

I just started to get a little bored by the time I dipped into the DLC but was entertained for all of my ride, really happy to play it.

Well of course it won't be as immersive as GTA because, well, it's GTA. Rockstar is rich AF and they can make a lot more happen than little ol' United Front, but that's what makes this game so spectacular. A small studio like UFG was able to make such an impact despite their "qualifications". I gotta say my favorite part of the game was the story. My God it's just so captivating and things got super intense. I agree the DLCs were meh but it's a DE and they're free so might as well take advantage LOL.

10 hours ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Story is completely mindblowing IMO, and yeah fast travel is annoying how you have to find taxis and whatnot...but at least the loading screens are fast! The cops operate really weirdly in this game as with me I felt that they wouldn't get off your tail until a certain period of time. The first DLC was meh but the second one was enjoyable.

They're making a movie? What?!

Ehhh IDK about you but it isn't very cheap where I live, $30 on the PSN store, but that's not to say you can't find a physical second hand copy!

Agreed!

BETTER than GTA? Brave words my friend, I myself have never been a big fan of GTA but I didn't think there were people that would put this game up there. Also could you elaborate on why exactly you wouldn't buy the sequel? You started saying something about the PC-only online game and how it would affect a later installment but I'm confused. 

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/inside-the-ambitious-sleeping-dogs-sequel-well-never-get-to-play?utm_source=wptwitterus

SD2 seemed to have a big co-op focus, and I can't stand co-op in the slightest. Would've been a huge turn-off for me unless there was still a decent campaign available.

In regards to GTA, yes, Sleeping Dogs is much better. The driving in GTA is absolute garbage, it's impossible to get from A to B in a decent amount of time without the cops hounding you, the story is garbage, the characters are all terrible (except for Michael who is simply mediocre), the missions are very samey and boring. I honestly don't know how it's so popular when games like Watch Dogs and Sleeping Dogs are superior in just about every regard.

And yeah they're making a movie.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14797432/sleeping-dogs-movie-donnie-yen-original-film

Dunno why they didn't just get Wei Shen's original VA to play Wei Shen since he's actually an actor in real life, but ok.

Got the plat as well as the 100% on both PS3 and PS4. Just a great game overall. Sure there are flaws but they are minimal and barely noticeable. This is my number 2 hope for eventually getting a remake. (Sorry kingdoms of amalur will always be my number 1 even though it won't ever happen). Even as I write this I kind of want to play it again. Even if it's just to bet on a cockfight or two. Sung on yee for life! (The spelling on that is way off but oh well, I tried ?)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, madbuk said:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/inside-the-ambitious-sleeping-dogs-sequel-well-never-get-to-play?utm_source=wptwitterus

SD2 seemed to have a big co-op focus, and I can't stand co-op in the slightest. Would've been a huge turn-off for me unless there was still a decent campaign available.

In regards to GTA, yes, Sleeping Dogs is much better. The driving in GTA is absolute garbage, it's impossible to get from A to B in a decent amount of time without the cops hounding you, the story is garbage, the characters are all terrible (except for Michael who is simply mediocre), the missions are very samey and boring. I honestly don't know how it's so popular when games like Watch Dogs and Sleeping Dogs are superior in just about every regard.

And yeah they're making a movie.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14797432/sleeping-dogs-movie-donnie-yen-original-film

Dunno why they didn't just get Wei Shen's original VA to play Wei Shen since he's actually an actor in real life, but ok.

LOL there is no SD2, that was Triad Wars which is a PC only spinoff.

19 hours ago, serialkilla1987 said:

Got the plat as well as the 100% on both PS3 and PS4. Just a great game overall. Sure there are flaws but they are minimal and barely noticeable. This is my number 2 hope for eventually getting a remake. (Sorry kingdoms of amalur will always be my number 1 even though it won't ever happen). Even as I write this I kind of want to play it again. Even if it's just to bet on a cockfight or two. Sung on yee for life! (The spelling on that is way off but oh well, I tried 1f914.png)

Sun On Yee*!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I chuckle every time when people say SD is better than GTA :D LOL really? Not being a fanboy, but GTA 4 is better in every aspect, that's a fact, don't even want to speak about GTA5.

One dimensional characters, story is forgettable, games in same genre had a better story years ago then SD, what's so good about the story? wedding mission? wow.

Controlling the character,  driving...Jeez. physics is non existing. Also when chased and you shoot the cars behind you, for 5 minutes you shot the tires of 30 vehicles and every one of them was flipping over... realistic!!! Imagine that really, driving with one arm, and shooting the tires of other vehicles behind you with ease, making Hollywood action heroes a joke :D

Also saying that Watch Dogs is better... that's new lol. 

Clone can't be better then original, deal with it. Cold hard fact.

Edited by Ptirle