Persona 5 has now shipped over 1.5m copies worldwide!

FlareXV

Crazy, and it's over 3 times what Persona 4 did in its first year:

Stylish JRPG Persona 5 has shipped over 1.5m units worldwide, publisher Atlus has announced. That's a pretty healthy number for a game as niche as Persona 5. Bear in mind, however, that it's been available in Japan since September and we're only looking at units sold to to retailers, not actually ones that are then purchased by consumers, which is much harder to calculate.

Still, 1.5m is nothing to scoff at, especially as Persona 5 only launched three days ago in Europe and North America, on both PS4 and PS3. Comparatively, Persona 4, which debuted in 2008 on PS2, sold 110k in North America and 300k in Japan in its first year. We're not sure of the EU figures there, but it seems likely that it was in the same ballpark as North America, which would suggest the game sold somewhere in the neighborhood of a half million units in a year.

I'm pleased for Atlus and wish them success on their future projects.

THE AGE OF PERSONA IS DEAD!/SCRASM

Read the full article at Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-07-persona-5-ships-over-1-5m-copies-only-three-days-after-western-release

Edited by FlareXV

1 hour ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Not really. P4 was niche.

Persona is now quite well know franchise and P5 is a very well known title. 

If it didn't sell that much with all the hype, it would be bad for Atlus, lol =D

I don't know, P4 does have a good style to it. Persona as a whole is still a niche IP but I'm happy the series is having success from each release rising.

Persona 4 Golden was the game that caused the popularity of the series to grow exponentially in the west, but of course, the Vita is a niche system, so it was never going to reach its full potential. Release the next game in the series with its new-found popularity on a console with around 55 million units in the wild and it was always going to do well. It was just a question of to what extent.

I have to imagine Atlus are pretty pleased with these numbers. From what I've played so far, it's well deserved. The game is fantastic! This is the "AAA" title of JRPGs and it really shows. One of the best games I've ever played and I don't say that lightly. I'll be able to judge it properly once I beat it, but this could very well take the spot of my favourite game away from P4G. It's that good. Just do yourself a favour and buy it is what I'm saying, even if you've not played many JRPGs before. If any game is going to convince you of how awesome the genre is, this would be the one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Possibly yes. P5 so far is a P4 upgraded by P3 features =D 

But it's hard to say. P3P is a special game. And Minato is Minato =D

At least it doesn't have any of persona 3's terrible features

after playing it through completely, persona 5 was pretty great, but not persona 4 great storywise, or even persona 3 great storywise. It has the best social links of the 3 games though

Even? :P Persona 3 has much better story than P4.

Ouch, this isn't nice. P4 wasn't that good story-wise :/

I disagree, but I didn't like most of the cast in persona 3 either. It doesn't help persona 5 makes it way too easy to figure out who the main villains are too, I mean I know who one of them were just after the second palace

Ouch, this isn't nice. P4 wasn't that good story-wise :/

How can you say that? Persona 4 was amazing story-wise! The Persona 4 story was definitely more interesting than the Persona 3 story :P

Edited by Lucas

12 hours ago, Lucas said:

How can you say that? Persona 4 was amazing story-wise! The Persona 4 story was definitely more interesting than the Persona 3 story :P

No, no, no.

P3's story is more Persona than P4 which makes it better story for... Persona :awesome: 

13 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I disagree, but I didn't like most of the cast in persona 3 either.

Cast shouldn't matter that much when it comes to story =D

6 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

No, no, no.

P3's story is more Persona than P4 which makes it better story for... Persona :awesome: 

Cast shouldn't matter that much when it comes to story =D

It's hard to care about a story when the cast involved in the story isn't great. It's all about what's more engaging to the player anyways, and I just didn't get hooked to it like I did with persona 4.

Once again shoji meguro impresses with the OST in 5, just disappointing that once again atlus only includes a partial soundtrack with the LE

It should also be noted that persona 5 hit 1# in the UK sales charts, which is the first time ever for any atlus title

Edited by SnowxSakura