What did you name the protagonist?

Eyjabria

2 hours ago, Akrioz said:

Wanted to name the group "Phantom Troupe", but the letters are too limited. 

Right?! I wanted to name them something unique and awesome, but the character limitation killed me. So I went with the default :shrug:

Good name either way

I went with "Edrick Tanaki".

Edrick because all my characters in RPG's get named Edrick. Tanaki because I wanted something that sounded Japanese for the purposes of immersion. (IDK if that's even a sensible word in JP, I made it up.)

This is fitting the setting much better than the name I went with in P4G, which was Edrick Hasselhoff. It still makes me laugh to see the other characters call me Hasselhoff-kun, but it does take me out of it. I learned my lesson.

1 hour ago, StrickenBiged said:

I went with "Edrick Tanaki".

Edrick because all my characters in RPG's get named Edrick. Tanaki because I wanted something that sounded Japanese for the purposes of immersion. (IDK if that's even a sensible word in JP, I made it up.)

This is fitting the setting much better than the name I went with in P4G, which was Edrick Hasselhoff. It still makes me laugh to see the other characters call me Hasselhoff-kun, but it does take me out of it. I learned my lesson.

Sasuga Edorikku :awesome: 

Yep, sounds brilliant =D 

40 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

Please explain how this is derived...?

Japanese does not have consonants as Japanese people are unable to pronounce them.

Any solo consonant apart from N (and V, L, Q, X which are rewritten V = B, L = R, Q = kyu, X = ekusu) is rewritten by adding vowel.

In your case, let's break your name into parts.

E - D - R - I - C - K

E - vowel, perfectly okay

D - consonant without vowel following it, therefore, rewriting time, the actual vowel used is depending on the pseudo pronunciation. Since Edo-rick sounds better than Edu-rick, D is rewritten as DO

RI - R is a consonant, BUT! followed by vowel, therefore, perfectly okay so, no rewriting necessary

K - same as K, this time, the K sounds mostly like KU so KU is used. The reason for adding double K is just how Japanese operates, you need a bit of a feeling in this case =D

• Like 1

I usually play as myself in RPGs.  So, if it makes sense, I usually give my character my name.  In P4G I gave the protagonist my name, but looking back I probably should have made up a Japanese version of my name since the protagonist is Japanese.  That's probably what I'll do for Persona 5.