Marathon Mode X Rank Videos

ShadeRyderGold

Having just got the 100% I thought I'd share my experience of arguably the hardest part of the game, Marathon Mode.

First off, if you haven't given this game a try, please do. I assume trophy hunters have been scared off by the low amount of 100% achievers, but it isn't as difficult as it seems and it is really enjoyable. The 100% took me about 8 hours, I would rate it about a 7/10 for difficulty. You just need to practice, compared to something like Super Meat Boy where you have to make pixel perfect jumps constantly this isn't anywhere near as unforgiving. If you have the right route for a level there is some leniancy with the time (about half a second)

Before the videos, here are some general tips:

• Turn the flash intensity down! Go into options on the overworld and reduce it. I had mine at 30% by the end of the game (unfortunately during the first half I didn't so some of the videos will be a bit flashy sorry) This makes it so much easier to keep track of where you are.
  • Get 3 stars on all levels in a zone, then immediately do the Marathon for that zone whilst you remember the levels (unfortunately you can't do this for the Legacy levels)
  • Pressing :triangle: before you start a level will show you a ghost run of what your best time was, good for reminding yourself of the path you took (although this started to glitch for me later on and show me random paths, maybe restarting the game would fix it)
  • When in Marathon Mode, pressing :start:/OPTIONS will take you back to the start screen for that Marathon, mashing :cross: will restart the marathon quickly (you will see me do this a lot in some of the videos below, whenever there's 2-3 seconds of black screen)

To get an X Rank in Marathon Mode you need to do the following:

• Be in Marathon Mode for that zone, obviously
  • Complete all levels for the zone with a 3 star rank in a row
  • You cannot die unless you complete the level whilst dying
  • You cannot retry a level

Ok, on to the videos. Zones are numbered in the order they are unlocked (left to right, bottom to top)

Normal Zone

Spoiler

Zone 1

Spoiler

Zone 2

Spoiler

Zone 3

Spoiler

Zone 4

Spoiler

Zone 5

Spoiler

Zone 6

Spoiler

Bonus Zone

Spoiler

Legacy Levels

Spoiler

Legacy 1

Spoiler

Legacy 2

Spoiler

Legacy 3

Spoiler

Legacy 4

Spoiler

Legacy 5

Spoiler

EXTRA VIDEOS

"STOP - HE'S ALREADY DEAD!" Trophy

Spoiler

Complete Marathon Runs (All Attempts)

If you felt like seeing what the process of practicing a zone over and over until you get an X rank will typically look like then have a look at the 2 examples below. As you can see it took me about 15-30 minutes per zone.

Spoiler

Zone 6

Spoiler

Legacy 5

Spoiler

Hope these are of benefit to some of you.

• Like 4

I confirm too that every trophy is obtainable, I got all of them on Vita. The fast control was so much easier for me on Vita. The 8-10 hours of gameplay, and the 7/10 for difficulty is absolutely correct, the vid guides helped a lot. (Big respect to Shade & Ben for them) And one more thing, don't give up at the world 1 marathon play, it's the hardest. ;) Good luck to you!

• 6 months later...