Does this get better as I can't get into it?

Lava_Yuki

I started Stein's Gate after just coming from playing Psycho Pass which I loved (both characters and story), but I'm just finished the prologue of SG and find the initial part of story kind of boring and the characters (especially the main character mad scientist guy and Mayuri) to be unappealing and strange so far. I am tempted to just skip the game and get the plat since I bought it, but because of all the 5 star reviews on Amazon and everyone's general praise of the game as one of the best VN's, I'm in doubt as I know everyone says do not skip. Does it get better and am I just at the usual boring start-off stage like in most games which then get better further in? Or is this targeted at fans of the anime and total outsiders like me aren't really welcome?

Thanks!

I didn't get hooked into the plot until the end of chapter 5. Before that it's a lot of exposition and build up of the characters and plot points.

If you aren't interested in scientific theories then it will be a really bad slog

Edited by A-Brawl3r
  • Like 1

I played Steins Gate on PS Vita, my first VN game. I loved it. It might seem slow, but won't for long, and is worth playing. Now Psycho-Pass, that was better in many ways, but totally different so ... well totally different.

Advice: Don't compare them, and just play SG, keep going. I didn't like some characters in SG much but I grew to love the story and most of the characters in some way or another, and really, the story, all the endings, it's enjoyable.

• Like 2

I say... it starts going after Chapter 3. It does get better, but Mayuri hate may sour things along the way a bit. Still, you can skip her scenes, I suppose...

Still worth it, because after the timey-wimey ball gets rolling, it flings majority of annoyances out of the way.

Edited by NetEntity
  • Like 2

I didn't get into it as much as I wanted to, and I've enjoyed some visual novels including Psycho-Pass. I think it picks up about halfway through the game on route to the "True" ending. I just found myself annoyed at some of the characters and sub-plots. But the parts of the game that are good, are really good. So I'd say it's worth pushing through. That said I still think the game and show are a tad bit overrated but I don't regret seeing it the whole way through.

• Like 1

That's good to know, as I'm half way through chapter 1 and was thinking that's kind of dull and slow so far. I will try and get into the story at least, but I have a feeling that I won't like it as much as I did Psycho Pass because of the characters. I don't know, I found Mayuri to be ditzy and her voice only makes it worse, but I'm guessing she's one of the key main characters that will come up a lot since she's on the game box art as well. The scene with the doctor in the prologue didn't give me the best impression of the protagonist with his laugh. I'm following the walkthrough on this site for all the endings, so I'll see how it goes for at least the true ending and hopefully it gets more interesting to see the rest. 

Just how everybody already stated. It gets better. So much better. Was my first VN and I ended up loving it. Yeah the main guy seems to be annoying

and comes off as an asshole but he is not. Keep playing and you discover an amazing story with great characters and a good soundtrack.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2017 at 9:52 AM, Gommes_ said:

Just how everybody already stated. It gets better. So much better. Was my first VN and I ended up loving it. Yeah the main guy seems to be annoying

and comes off as an asshole but he is not. Keep playing and you discover an amazing story with great characters and a good soundtrack.

I also thought that the main was annoying and kinda unrelatable at first sight but after some hours with the VN and understading Hououin Kyouma true motives and personality , i thought it was a great char specially reaching the latest parts of the VN .

On 4/11/2017 at 10:52 AM, Gommes_ said:

18 hours ago, Sigma999 said:

I also thought that the main was annoying and kinda unrelatable at first sight but after some hours with the VN and understading Hououin Kyouma true motives and personality , i thought it was a great char specially reaching the latest parts of the VN .

You guys are not chuuni enough.

Sanavabitches :awesome: 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

It's my favorite VN of all time. It takes time to get going. Main character is supposed to be a huge dork, but eventually he matures and you'll mourn for the moments when he could be a carefree awkward dork. You'll enjoy most of the characters over the course of the story, it's chock full of reasons to care about them individually as it goes on.

Some things are just a fact of being a Japanese product. Tropes pop up here and there and as a fan of Japanese games/movies and culture, you either learn to live with some of the more cringe aspects (fan service etc) and love the rest, or decide it's not for you and you move on. This game specifically I felt like was very light on those tropes btw but they always exist in some form lol. But it seems like you would enjoy it if you gave it some more time.

Edited by Jables_The_Hutt
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...