NIER for PS3 will get a reprint soon in EU.

crisding89

2 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Let's put it like this, it's not just the name. The game got a heavy localization overhaul. You don't even control the same character.

Afaik we got the NieR Gestalt version in EU/US under the name NieR and the main or even only differences between the two is the younger main character (Replicant) and the relation between Nier and Yonah being father/daughter (Gestalt) vs. brother/sister (Replicant).

On 13/04/2017 at 0:14 AM, Greenshyguy said:

imo ... it's pretty expensive for a PS3 game. I know it's a reprint and is (arguably) cheaper than second hand copies ... but I think a digital release would be more appropriate with a physical release for the possible PS4 remaster.

Thankfully I happen to come across a preowned PS3 copy at EBgames for $18 AUD. The case looks pretty worn, but the disc and slip are mint. Just need to find a cheap PS3 game to swap cases with.

EB is the only real place you can find a cheap copy of it on occasion. I managed to snap one up recently for about that price. For whatever reason the PS3 version in particular goes for exorbitant amounts (with the obnoxious RARE GAME :) tag slapped on it) on ebay and such, whereas the 360 version has been generally untouched and goes for fairly cheap. Maybe this will stop European scalpers at least. 

5 hours ago, fastflowdaman said:

Afaik we got the NieR Gestalt version in EU/US under the name NieR and the main or even only differences between the two is the younger main character (Replicant) and the relation between Nier and Yonah being father/daughter (Gestalt) vs. brother/sister (Replicant).

Obviously a bit different dialogue too. But the localization was JP, not the other way around I think! :D 

Edited by MMDE

11 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Obviously a bit different dialogue too. But the localization was JP, not the other way around I think! :D 

How so? It's a Japanese game.

Nier (stylized as NieR) is an action role-playing video game developed by Cavia and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavia_(company)

Just now, fastflowdaman said:

How so? It's a Japanese game.

Nier (stylized as NieR) is an action role-playing video game developed by Cavia and published by Square Enix for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavia_(company)

Some of the dialogue is obviously different, because you play as a different character.

X360 version was originally intended, which features the character in Gestalt, which is the non-JP exclusive version, but they later decided to do a JP PS3 exclusive release too, which is the Replicant game. JP audience would like the younger character. But it is true that the younger character was developed first, but they didn't think it would appeal to the originally intended X360 release.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Cyphroniite said:

I wondered too, today while looking for the PS3 Avatar game. Many games apparently aren't digitally available, ... why

Because downloading fully fledged retail games wasn't really a thing towards the start of the last generation. The PSN was still in its infancy and physical games dominated the console market. As for why they don't make them available now, I'm sure there's all kinds of complicated licensing issues and what not preventing them from doing so. Even if they could sort that stuff out, it probably wouldn't even be worth the effort. The vast majority of people have left the PS3 behind now. Many of these games wouldn't sell much at all.

For NieR though, it does seem pretty strange that they won't make it available digitally, especially because of the reprint. I'm sure people would be all over that. Maybe they just wanted to ensure that the reprinted copies were sold. :dunno:

Edited by Undead Wolf

• 10 months later...
On 5/25/2017 at 4:43 AM, Undead Wolf said:

Because downloading fully fledged retail games wasn't really a thing towards the start of the last generation. The PSN was still in its infancy and physical games dominated the console market. As for why they don't make them available now, I'm sure there's all kinds of complicated licensing issues and what not preventing them from doing so. Even if they could sort that stuff out, it probably wouldn't even be worth the effort. The vast majority of people have left the PS3 behind now. Many of these games wouldn't sell much at all.

For NieR though, it does seem pretty strange that they won't make it available digitally, especially because of the reprint. I'm sure people would be all over that. Maybe they just wanted to ensure that the reprinted copies were sold. :dunno:

I wish they'd fucking reprint No More Heroes on PS3 or make that available digitally. My copy of it is fucked and people charge absolutely ridiculous amounts for it on ebay. We're talking $90-$170 here.  Nier was also pretty bad, especially when Automata got announced and it hasn't got much better even with the reprint.

It's sad that EB Games of all places are more reasonably priced with these sorts of older games; that is, when they get them in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I literally just bought a PS3 (secondhand, of course) JUST to play the original NieR (though I'll definitely take advantage of it to also play Drakengard 3, Metal Gear Rising, and other PS3 games that haven't been ported to PS4), so 30 euros isn't something I mind (though I don't have a credit card, so I couldn't buy the game on the SE site, and ended up getting it for 27 euros on amazon.de). But nothing new seems to be added anyway, so just buying the original should be fine :)

• 2 years later...

£15-30? Damn I got mine a few years back even before the announcement of Nier: Automata and it sold for only £1.50 (pre-owned) on CEX... though now they too are selling at at £30.00! They're just trying to milk it now. Didn't know anything about the game back then but bought it anyway because it was cheap and from Square Enix.

Now having played and completed Automata and truly enjoyed that game, I see why it's got quite a cult following. 

Edited by eispan71

• 3 months later...
On 22/04/2021 at 11:40 AM, Taliesin_2943 said:

Lol it's the japanese version that's getting localized and remastered I'd kinda like to have the gestalt version remastered aswell as replicant just to complete the set

I'm hoping they add dlc at some point that'll let us play as grumpy old man Nier

8 hours ago, Turbobuddah said:

I'm hoping they add dlc at some point that'll let us play as grumpy old man Nier

If I'm understanding correctly it's a whole different game with him vs the kid version. Like alots the same but if they did it as dlc it would probably be atleast half the size of the games download size lol cause it's not just avatars it's voicework and dialogue and plot points. But who knows they might be kind and just be like here's the gestalt version for 15 bucks as dlc kinda like they did with american mcgee's alice and madness returns lol

23 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

If I'm understanding correctly it's a whole different game with him vs the kid version. Like alots the same but if they did it as dlc it would probably be atleast half the size of the games download size lol cause it's not just avatars it's voicework and dialogue and plot points. But who knows they might be kind and just be like here's the gestalt version for 15 bucks as dlc kinda like they did with american mcgee's alice and madness returns lol

True, just got to part 2 and Nier is more of a young adult than a kid, it's alot better at this point. His attitude changes massively too, seems closer to old man Nier