Can you pause your game during a score attack run?

Karmikazee

Just finished the main game and getting all trophies available from doing so. Am about to chase down the "score attack" trophies. 

Know there is a bonus for quick times and such, can you pause the game while playing, or does the timer keep going anyway?

Also any tips or tricks to help me through this would be greatly appreciated. Bear in mind, am a horrible shot, thank the gaming gods for poison arrows!

Just finished watching a couple of vid's to get a feel for it, see have to to collect the blue spots quick enough etc,  but am nervous about being quick enough with the shooting components. *~*

You only need to be quick on the challenge tombs really and even then speed doesn't matter that much. It's all about the bonuses from cards. Use unlimited poison arrows for the combat ones and its a breeze 

Edit : As DF007gamer says below use the leaderboards to use good cards for only 2000 credits. 

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Karmikazee said:

Am about to chase down the "score attack" trophies. 

Know there is a bonus for quick times and such, can you pause the game while playing, or does the timer keep going anyway?

Also any tips or tricks to help me through this would be greatly appreciated. Bear in mind, am a horrible shot, thank the gaming gods for poison arrows!

Just finished watching a couple of vid's to get a feel for it, see have to to collect the blue spots quick enough etc,  but am nervous about being quick enough with the shooting components. *~*

Yes you can pause. Poison arrows are the best to get the bonus points. Remember you can use someone elses cards on their score attack if you go to the leader boards and see what cards they used. Then for a certain amount of coins you can use it. Can't remember how much. 

That's what i did and I'm not the greatest at time/score attack events. I followed the vid guides on the blue spots and make sure you don't miss as it multiples your score a great deal. Also allow yourself time to repeat stages and not get frustrated but it's not that difficult tbh. GOOD LUCK ?

8 minutes ago, DF007gamer said:

Yes you can pause. Poison arrows are the best to get the bonus points. Remember you can use someone elses cards on their score attack if you go to the leader boards and see what cards they used. Then for a certain amount of coins you can use it. Can't remember how much. 

That's what i did and I'm not the greatest at time/score attack events. I followed the vid guides on the blue spots and make sure you don't miss as it multiples your score a great deal. Also allow yourself time to repeat stages and not get frustrated but it's not that difficult tbh. GOOD LUCK 1f62c.png

Thanks for the fast responses! @DF007gamer Can you use poison arrows in the earlier levels (thinking specifically the 1st one where  she hasn't made her bow yet?) If you use cards from the leaderboard does that deplete those cards from your own collection? Or do you just pay credits for theirs?

@Cleggworth Yeah, saw the Toxicity card, (unlimited poison arrows) and to combine with no ammo multipliers. Guess have to go through my cards and do some buying and selling for lots of what I need. 

Sounds like don't have to do as good as these people on Youtube to get a gold score? Just no way can shoot targets and such as quickly as them.

24 minutes ago, Karmikazee said:

Thanks for the fast responses! @DF007gamer Can you use poison arrows in the earlier levels (thinking specifically the 1st one where  she hasn't made her bow yet?) If you use cards from the leaderboard does that deplete those cards from your own collection? Or do you just pay credits for theirs?

@Cleggworth Yeah, saw the Toxicity card, (unlimited poison arrows) and to combine with no ammo multipliers. Guess have to go through my cards and do some buying and selling for lots of what I need. 

Sounds like don't have to do as good as these people on Youtube to get a gold score? Just no way can shoot targets and such as quickly as them.

You pay 2000 credits and use their cards. It doesn't deplete your stock. It actually makes buying the pack's yourself utterly redundant. You can use any cards at any time. It doesn't matter if at that point in the story she didn't have a bow. The only annoying thing about doing this method is most people use 'only one life to live' card which means you can't die which can get annoying pretty quick. Scour the list for somebody with a death and its lot less frustrating

In very open areas with a ton of stuff, always collect the blue spots before shooting anything. The blue spots are the multipliers so you want them before shooting anything. This might be obvious but thought I'd point it out in case you're like me and didn't figure that out until you'd already done half of them ???

• Like 1

@Cleggworth That's great news. Not sure I understand what you mean by scour the list for a death though? Do you mean a death card, or does the list show if they died while doing the level? (can't go onto my ps4 right now to look) EDIT: To your post below, got it, thanks!

@turpinator1986 Thanks. Yeah am hoping that if I keep getting all the blue spots in time don't have worry as much about hitting all the targets?

Edited by Karmikazee
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Karmikazee said:

@Cleggworth That's great news. Not sure I understand what you mean by scour the list for a death though? Do you mean a death card, or does the list show if they died while doing the level? (can't go onto my ps4 right now to look)

@turpinator1986 Thanks. Yeah am hoping that if I keep getting all the blue spots in time don't have worry as much about hitting all the targets?

It shows how many deaths they had whilst doing the level. The gold score is pretty generous. I found the multiplier given by the no death card just wasn't necessary. It just made it really frustrating

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Karmikazee said:

@Cleggworth That's great news. Not sure I understand what you mean by scour the list for a death though? Do you mean a death card, or does the list show if they died while doing the level? (can't go onto my ps4 right now to look) EDIT: To your post below, got it, thanks!

Youll still need to hit some targets but as others have said, the gold score is pretty generous. As long as you keep your multiplier for the majority of the level you should have no problems. Also what @Cleggworth said. It's definitely

not necessary to bother with the no death card. 

• Like 1

@turpinator1986  @Cleggworth@DF007gamer  Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. Was pretty daunted by the Gold score trophies, But after all your help here am feeling ready to tackle them now. Hope can do the same for you some day, although looking at the amounts of your trophies collected, (Wow!) doubt will ever happen. :) All the best!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Karmikazee said:

@turpinator1986  @Cleggworth@DF007gamer  Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. Was pretty daunted by the Gold score trophies, But after all your help here am feeling ready to tackle them now. Hope can do the same for you some day, although looking at the amounts of your trophies collected, (Wow!) doubt will ever happen. :) All the best!

No worries. We trophies hunters have each others backs. :giggle:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Karmikazee said:

Youre quite welcome. Good luck with it!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

That's not what he asked.  He asked if pausing the game paused the in-game TIMER for the score attack levels.  From there it turned into a discussion on which cards to use.

For anyone wanting the answer, yes, in my experience it does appear to pause the in-game timer.

As for the card discussion, this is interesting, as I never had a single problem with the One Life to Live card, except on platforming levels when some crazy person coupled it with the No Grip card.  I did that once and never used a card set from a player who had No Grip ever again.  I played every level except Chamber of Souls with the One Life to Live card.  The real difference maker is the Toxicity card.  I used it on every single level where it was applicable and never had a problem reaching the gold score.  I usually had a final card bonus of 300%-475%.  Since this is in addition to your base score, and not a direct multiplier, a score of 20,000 with a bonus of 400% becomes 100,000, so basically your score x5.  I approached every level the same way, got my multiplier up to 30-40 and then took out as many lanterns I could and then just played through the rest of the level, killing everything in my path with poison arrows, as quickly as possible.  Most levels I beat the Gold time by at least double what was required, sometimes by more than 10 times the requirement.  The Toxicity card alone and the blue score multipliers can be abused easily enough for Gold times, the other card bonuses aren't even needed.  The only card I would recommend against is No Grip, it's just a pain in the ass to always be preoccupied with holding square after every single jump.  You'll also fall if you grab a ledge, then hit the square QTE without then letting go and re-pressing square, which doesn't register if you do it too quickly, so it requires specific timing, after a timing event, after timing an initial button press... it's bonkers.  If you're really worried about dying (which if you got through the game on Survivor, you really shouldn't be), then fine, skip the One Life to Live card, but I'd always recommend at least First aid (100% bonus) which is a freebie as you're playing on Survivor anyway so won't get any health regen (or use Struggle if you think you can get through it without healing at all, it's 125% bonus), No Leftovers (100%) and/or Empty Magazines (100%) as you won't need extra ammo with unlimited Poison Arrows, and Armor-Plated (100%) as the poison arrows negates any health or armor bonus on enemies.  Even with 3 of those, a 50% bonus card and toxicity, that's a 300% total bonus (so your score x4) which should be more than enough on any level.

Also, someone mentioned the tombs.  I did these first, and all of these without any cards (I was saving credits at first, before I realized you can use someones cards on a single level for an infinite number of tries as long as you restart the level and don't actually complete it; plus I didn't realize how easy these levels were going to be in score attack).  They weren't hard, but you had to get the timing right without cards.  Something I realized after doing 8 of the 9 tombs and the 2 Baba Yaga score attacks without any cards is that the Gold scores are really just for doing an above average job on the level.  It's like a gold star in elementary school, you don't really need to do anything too amazing to get one.  As long as you're timely and efficient and get a good multiplier before hitting the lanterns you will undoubtedly come out ahead, card bonus' just make it child's play.  With a good 300% or higher card bonus you should get through every level first try, even if you're only ok at the game.  I consider myself average, yet the only scores I had in score attack that were less than double the gold requirement were the ones I did without any cards.

So with all that said, pausing the game (and therefore the in-game timer) to calculate your next move really isn't even necessary.  The time bonus is pretty much useless on all score attack levels.  The one exception might be Lost City, as this one requires you to maintain a decent multiplier throughout most of the level as there's no bad guys to kill and I could only find 2 lanterns about 1/3 of the way through the level, and you need to shoot them to maintain your multiplier while shooting climbing arrows into the wall.  Other than that, I really didn't even have to worry about my multiplier most of the time.  Kill streaks and bonus points for kills quickly boost scores.  And on levels without bad guys, a decent multiplier and shooting all the lanterns are more than enough.

I'm sure by now the OP has finished the game, but maybe someone else will stumble on this thread as I did and find this useful.

One last thing, since this is the PS4 version, we all have all the DLC.  So keep in mind that Cold Darkness, Lara's Nightmare, Endurance, and Endurance Co-op don't allow you to use card sets from the Leaderboard, so it's a good idea to stock up on your own Toxicity cards.  I found that, while not needed, they make these DLCs much easier, and I could get by with using only 1 for each of the first 3 of those DLCs (I haven't played coop yet, but I assume I'll need one more for that).  So it's best to have 4 in your inventory just for this.  After opening all the gift packs that come with the 20th anniversary version of the game, I just kept opening Bronze packs until I couldn't anymore (I think it cost me an additional 200k credits) and I ended up with perms of all the 100% cards as well as 5 Toxicity cards (I only ever had 4 on hand at once as I used my first one from one of the gift packs before opening the bronze packs).  If I ever get around to Endurance co-op, I should be set as I still have 2 left.

@Matto_lsi Actually put the game on hold, and then because was not excited about the score runs, never came back to it. But do intend to at some point. So your response is very interesting and helpful. Seems I had a few misconceptions about score runs from what you've said. Am in the middle of something else right now but when I come back to this will re-read very carefully.

Appreciate the response. :)

• 5 months later...
11 minutes ago, kfree7 said:

Trying to figure out how you got the card bonus up to 475%.  Are their players that you would recommend on the leaderboards that have a nice set up without grip and no death?

Thanks.

Having that large of a mutliplier might be a bit "overkill" to get gold. I always found player cards who had the poison arrow and several other high % card. And i ALWAYS avoided the players who used the no grip and death card. Even without those 2 cards, you can get gold medal very easily. I think my total % was always in the range of 250-375%.

I usually go down the list of the leaderboards on the first page and always found one which didn't use the no grip and death cards

Edited by Kyl542
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 9:27 AM, kfree7 said:

Trying to figure out how you got the card bonus up to 475%.  Are their players that you would recommend on the leaderboards that have a nice set up without grip and no death?

Thanks.

Struggle is 125%.  Armor Plated, Grip, One Life to Live, and Empty Magazines are each 100%, so you could actually have a 525% max bonus on most combat levels.  First Aid is also 100%, but Struggle and First Aid can't be used together.

The ideal setup that allowed me to breeze most levels was:

Combat levels: First Aid - 100%, Armor Plated - 100%, Empty Magazines - 100%, Evasive Maneuvers - 50%, Toxicity - -50%.  300% overall, spammed unlimited poison arrows while keeping up the multiplier.  

Platforming Levels: Struggle - 125%, Empty Magazines - 100%, One Life to Live - 100%, Flammable/Frailty - 50%, Blazing Inferno - -25%.  350% overall, build multiplier and save the shooting targets towards end of multiplier, gets you more than 1/4 of the way towards gold star goal, which with a 300%+ bonus, you only need to be concerned with getting 1/4 of the way to the gold star targets, and then beat the level to have your card multiplier shoot you over that target score.

You can only hold a certain amount of the lower cards before they're taken out of the pool of card packs, so you could keep buying up bronzes until you get them all.  Most common exploit of this is after beating the game, keep buying bronzes, and just sell gold and blue cards you obtain until each pack you open up only has golds and blues.  Keep selling a portion of those until all golds are out of the pool, and blues are the ones you get.  Eventually you'll obtain all cards this way.  If you use up 5 of your disposable cards, each bronze pack you buy afterwards will simply be the 5 you used up.

• Like 2