Best/worst movie of 2012

skidmarkgn

Let's do it.

Quick note, I don't get to the movies often anymore -kids'll do that to ya'- so I don't have the deepest pool to choose from.

My best:

#1 - Cabin in the Woods. #1 with a bullet!! I was a bit worried that it was going to be "just another zombie movie" at first but that fear was gone by the end. Not gonna spoil anything but the ending sequence not only broke that fear, it took such a hard left turn that no one I know saw what was coming... and it was AWESOME!! If people go into it expecting a true horror movie, they'll be disappointed. It knows what it is and treats the audience like they do to.

#2 - Dark Knight Rises. I'm a huge Christopher Nolan mark (it's a wrestling term). From following and Memento to Dark Knight and Inception, he knocks it out of the park every time. He seems to be able to get amazing performances out of everyone he works with and Tom Hardy was no exception. I heard some bitching about his Sean Connery-esque sound but it didn't bother me. The only thing that did was not being able to understand half of what he said. Thank the lord the blu-ray didn't have that issue.

My worst:

#1 - This is 40. Again, #1 with a bullet!! My wife wanted to see it for her 35th birthday so I took her. Now, this movie might not be getting a fair shake because I can't stand Judd Apatow. This one was a Judd Apatow movie, with Judd Apatow characters, doing Judd Apatow dialoge... ugh. It's far too long, has way too many 5-10 minute long scenes dedicated to setting up a quick one line joke, has a lead actress who has one of the most annoying voices ever (which is a huge problem in a movie that's nothing but people yammering endlessly), and characters who are just a bunch of unlikable douchebags. I can only think of one sympathetic character in the whole movie... and she was 8 years old.

#2 - Two's a tough one. I don't get to go to the movies often which means I'm careful about the things I see. Pretty good at avoiding the obvious "shit-hole" movies like The Watch or Ghost Rider 2 (my opinion). Gonna have to go with The Avengers. I'm not really into comic book movies, save one. I didn't really have any interest in Avengers, after all, I didn't really like Iron Man or Thor and didn't see Cap. and Hulk. After finally giving into the hype I saw it and... meh. It's a good popcorn movie but that's about it. Looks like Mr. Whedon goes 1-1 this year.

• Like 1

Best - Avengers - Didn't have high expectations but it was a really good movie!

Worst - Dark Knight Rises - Omg who greenlit this screenplay? I'm a huge Batman fan and this movie was totally off on his mythos. Especially surprising since the Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies ever.

Honorable mention - Wreck It Ralph - Video games as the primary focus of a movie? Well done :)

I didn't watch any bad movies in 2012.

Best:

The Avengers

Brave :lol:

I also did not see any bad movies at the theater this year. (I did watch Evil Dead 2 which could be the dumbest and worst yet at the same time one of the most entertaining movies ever, but that is another story altogether.

The best movies I saw in theaters were:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

The Dark Knight Rises

The Avengers

Act of Valor

I'ma just say that The Avengers was my favorite movie of the year, but there were a shit ton of movies I didn't expect to be so good. Dredd, Looper, The Hunger Games, Spidey, Django Unchained, The Hobbit (Honestly I was expecting it to be boring.), Jack Reacher (Yes, this movie was awesome and not just some lame popcorn action movie), etc. Even Men in Black 3 was great despite all the mediocre reviews I heard about it.

The worst was Resident Evil: Retribution. Saw it with friends one night before they were all leaving. Some how one guy got to make the stupid decision for us. We should have went to the club or something.

Edited by TehCro