Is it too late to get a Vita?

AlcoholicDinosaw

Okay so recently I've been gaming a lot less due to life being life, and with spending more time out the house than in, it reduces my time to collect trophies and enjoy the gaming world.

I've been wondering about getting a Vita so I can do this as I go, but we're a third in of 2017 and I honestly have no clue how active the Vita is and what's to offer, I've been Googling a couple things such as servers closing because was self conscious because don't wanna be permanently damaging my completion rate, anyways found nothing on that, I've heard the Vita has always been one of the best hand held consoles just never had the time (or money's being a kid at the time) to look into or get it, but now I'm really considering because of the circumstances, but is it too late? It's been plenty of years since it's release and I'd rather hear from my favourite community what your opinion is on this situation? Should I get one? I'd love to hear your suggestion! :D

• Like 1

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend buying a brand new one (unless you want to). There are some heavy hitters like P4 Golden, Golden Abyss, Freedom Wars, Welcome Park (Lol) and features like PS1 compatibility that makes the console worth it. 

Edited by FlareXV
Lol, I put "No" instead of "Yes".
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, A-Brawl3r said:

First, can you find one to purchase

Second, do you like to play Japanese or Indie developed games because that is the majority of the library

I have found one it's in my cart ;) Just gotta press the buy button but don't want it to be a mistake which is why I'm waiting, I'm gonna say Indie games, no reason, just because xD

"Too late"? Well, there's a bunch of games already out there in the library so at the very least there will be a bunch to catch up on even if there might not be that many new releases at this point.

As for new games, well, it's mostly niche Japanese games and some indies, so that would be depending on how you feel about those (I love them, that's why I love my Vita haha x3)

Worst thing about it is probably the memory card prices... and if you're planning to download more than smaller games you'll definitely need to go bigger. (My 4gb that I got with the console only lasted for so long because I mostly got physical copies of games that had physical, but then the sale happened...)

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

However remote play itself is worth it if you have a ps4. 

In a hotel? At work? Play your ps4 on the vita(I've had 0 issues).

Or even better, is the throne calling you but you want to continue playing. <--This is reason enough to buy a vita. 

How did I not know this!? What!? So you can play any game (that you own and is downloaded on your PS4) whenever and wherever on your Vita? Am I reading that wrong? That sounds way too good to be true dude you're like the answer to my prayers man 

13 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

Cons

Memory card prices :facepalm:

Don't expect much from 16gb so 32 is really the go to, unless you want 64(which I wish I got....)

13 minutes ago, Zanreo said:

Worst thing about it is probably the memory card prices... and if you're planning to download more than smaller games you'll definitely need to go bigger. (My 4gb that I got with the console only lasted for so long because I mostly got physical copies of games that had physical, but then the sale happened...)

Looks like memory cards are the greatest flaw, if that's the right word to use, knew this place was the right place to go to ask about things like this, you guys are the best! :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlcoholicDinosaw said:

How did I not know this!? What!? So you can play any game (that you own and is downloaded on your PS4) whenever and wherever on your Vita? Am I reading that wrong? That sounds way too good to be true dude you're like the answer to my prayers man 

Truth

Though I'd make sure your ps4 is wired. 

And If you are near wifi with your vita of course lol

But yes, even if you're next to your ps4, it first sends it over the Internet then to your vita. For some reason delay isn't an issue like shareplay on ps4 O_o I don't know how they can make it smooth on vita but not shareplay ps4-ps4.

If it does get choppy you can lower the settings too. I only had that issue a few times. Depends on the wifi of where you are mostly. And yes anywhere with decent wifi :)

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

I was in a similar situation of not being home enough to play my PS3. But once I picked up a Vita my gaming increased & it has since become my favorite PS system. It’s not too late at all; there’s a huge library of games to choose from now (& they’re probably cheap, depending on where you live).

Definitely invest in a better memory card though, as that is the biggest issue. Also the remote play feature is awesome. I can enjoy my PS4 games away or even in the house (if someone wants to watch tv while I’m gaming).

Oh & I'd suggest getting a hard case & screen protector.

• Like 2

first party support is gone but indies and japanese games are still coming out and I'd give it a year or two more
honestly it depends if you are the targeted demographic for the Vita, I use it a lot cause I travel a lot by train and I have big breaks between lectures so it's a good thing to use
that said it has a big library and there is plenty to play, but be aware that you'd need to cash out on a big memory card (I have 16gb and it's always full) and that you will most likely only buy digital unless you are in a country where there are a lot of vita physical games (Croatia sadly isn't) so I hope your internet speeds are good

it's a great machine that Sony just gave up on way too early, why? because sony is like that, look at PS Move or even VR, big support before release and then some time after release they just stop and focus only on the main console

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FlareXV said:

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend buying a brand new one (unless you want to). There are some heavy hitters like P4 Golden, Golden Abyss, Freedom Wars, Welcome Park (Lol) and features like PS1 compatibility that makes the console worth it. 

The most popular vita-game ever made (^_^ )

It isn't too late. The Vita has a lot of great games and since you have PS Plus you I assume that you already have some nice games that you can play :).

To give you an idea of the status of Vita games, here's a list of the top most buyed PS Vita games in March [EU] . (Funny thing is that it are mostly PSP games)

I never experienced any kind of problems with my Vita. The oled screen isn't burnt in or so and all the buttons work very well. No lags in games. I don't really play online multiplayer games on it so I can't say anythin about that. Looking at the Vita Boostings sessions online isn't dead but I guess it mainly depends on the game you play.

A few personal cons:

- heavy, after 4 hours non-stop gaming you really start to feel it in your hands :lol:

- battery life isn't that great.

- built in internet browser is crap.

- the special memory cards that you need to expand internal storage are way too overpriced

- the camera quality is bad (I don't expect anyone to take many pictures with the Vita :lol:, but this is important in Augemented Reality games like "Invizimals" where the game uses the camera to put objects in "the real world" (like Pokémon GO)

2 minutes ago, AlcoholicDinosaw said:

It's called Remote Play and you need a decent internet connection (so that means that if eg. the hotel has crappy internet, you can't use this feature even if you PS4 is connected to ultra fast internet :))

Hope this helps (^_^ )

• Like 1

I have strange tastes in video games, I also don't like jrpgs. That being said, I only recently have had the vita. It was given to me as a gift. I love it. I have been playing more of it than my ps3 as of late. You can look at trophy list for an idea of what vita games I like.

I say it's definitely not too late. Also, you should check out the flash sale today. Some really good games for vita are uber cheap.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leo Leopold Leon III said:

it's a great machine that Sony just gave up on way too early, why? because sony is like that, look at PS Move or even VR, big support before release and then some time after release they just stop and focus only on the main console

Off topic but sony has far from giving up on vr. New games come out every week, we got a patch that made cinema mode look way better. And it sold more than they anticipated. It's still in high demand in Japan. 

And that's just the gaming side. 

The problem is there's a lot of misinformation from people I've found about psvr. 

• Like 1

Go for it. Recently bought a used Vita and I've been enjoying it a lot especially now that I have to travel about an hour and a half to get to work. The only downside like a lot of people mentioned already is the memory card. I got 6 games with mine for a very good price, but sadly I only have the 4GB memory card so digital games are kinda out of the picture for now. It's also really difficult to find a good deal on a memory card here, I'm not likely to shell out 60+ EUR for 32 Gigs.

If you've got PS+ there have been some great titles in the previous year, though a lot have been cross-play with PS4 but I think a Vita is/was still worth it.

Edited by FFHannibal
  • Like 1

I picked up a Vita last year and haven't regretted it for a second. I travel quite a bit for work, and it's nice to be able to take the Vita with me to play on the plane and in the hotel. I also play it sometimes at home when my wife and I are chilling and she is reading.

There are a ton of games, and thanks to PS Plus, I had a large library to start with from day one. 

My interactions with fellow gamers has consistently shown that Vita owners absolutely love their Vitas. 

I hope you pick one up. I'm sure you won't regret it. 

• Like 2

It's never too late to pick up the best handheld ever created. ;)

In fact, I'd say there has never been a better time to pick one up. Despite what some people may tell you, the Vita does have games, and a significant amount of them! I mean it's been out for 5 years at this point (that's crazy to think about) and its had a steady supply of games ever since launching. Sure, it doesn't have many "AAA" games, but so what? That's what a console is for. For fans of Japanese and indie games, it's an investment well worth making. Also, if you've been redeeming the Vita PS+ games over the years, chances are you already have a large amount of games to play on it without making any additional purchases.

Memory cards are expensive, but honestly, you don't really need to go higher than a 16GB card if you're getting most of your games physically (which is what you should be doing). You can get the Vita itself pretty cheap these days, so I really don't understand why people get so upset over the memory card prices. When you add the price of the handheld and memory card together, it's a perfectly reasonable price.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

It is never too late!

The fact that it's been out for so long is actually a good thing because there's a lot of games. Whether you like a lot of them or not is up to you. 

However remote play itself is worth it if you have a ps4. 

In a hotel? At work? Play your ps4 on the vita(I've had 0 issues).

Or even better, is the throne calling you but you want to continue playing. <--This is reason enough to buy a vita. 

Cons

Memory card prices :facepalm:

Don't expect much from 16gb so 32 is really the go to, unless you want 64(which I wish I got....)

I tried remote play when I first got my PS4 and there was a ton of lag and the screen would mess up and be a blur of random colours from time to time (this was with Second Son)

Tried it again for the first time since then yesterday with Sleeping Dogs and I was blown away, it worked flawlessly. If it works that well outside the house... it's a truly amazing feature and puts into question why everyone is treating the Switch as revolutionary, since Sony did that years before Nintendo.

• Like 2

It's never to late to get a vita. Just like it is never to late to get into the Walking Dead or even Spongebob. :D. When I got my Vita two years ago I regretted nothing. I played on that handheld more than my PS3 and PS4 no joke. There are a vast amount of games to play on the Vita such as VN, Indie, Assassin's creed, Lego, Resistance, and many more. The Vita has its advantages like PS4 remote play. Like other handhelds you can take it on the go. But unlike those handhelds you can't earn trophies on the go. So imagine this. You're on a train,Bus, Subway,Plane, Car, or public area and you earn a platinum. Imagine telling people your story. You: Hey guys I earned a platinum while playing at Disney Land or on a train, subway or plane. I mean if that's not memorable then I don't know what is. :D If you look on my profile you can see that I have a lot of platinums from my vita, approximately 27. So I I highly recommend that you own a Vita. Even if Sony where to stop supporting it then there would still be a vast amount of games left to play and plat. Hope my opinion helps make your decision easier. :D

Edited by marvelboy10
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, marvelboy10 said:

There are a vast amount of games to play on the Vita such as VN , Indie , Assassin's creed, Lego, Resistance, and many more genres of games.

I must have missed the memo where Assassins Creed, Lego, and Resistance became their own genres. ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I must have missed the memo where Assassins Creed, Lego, and Resistance became their own genres. 1f60f.png

?

Just in case of confusion issues:

Various, a multitude of, LEGO games. the others are just one game each: Assassins Creed Liberation, Resistance Burning Skies ?

Edited by Maisy
  • Like 1