Couch’s Elimination Events – Survivor Style - Winner announced

It seems a few people want me to stream, so I'll be playing some Killing Floor 2 tonight and answering any additional questions the jury may have. It'll start at 10:30 pm EST tonight. I know that's late for some people, but I have a busy day today, so that's pretty much the earliest I can do it. I hope at least a few of you show up.

Here's the link in case anyone's interested.

• Like 2

A little early but welcome to Day 4 of final week. Today is Jem's day to respond to his jury questions. 

@Kent10201 asks:

What was the worst decision you made while playing Survivor?

The worst decision I made was easily turning you into an enemy. I was annoyed by the idea that people thought that I would only get far because you were helping me, so I decided to kick you off, despite my better judgement. You could've easily been persuaded to switch sides without much effort and would've been nice to have around in the later stages of the game, especially considering our alliance started defecting as soon as you left.

What was the hardest challenge to overcome during the event?

I'm assuming you mean a struggle I had to overcome, rather than a literal challenge. I'd have to say keeping a stable alliance. Besides the members of C3 and Walt, I have made at least one alliance with every member of the event (not including the alliance of ten at the start). It seemed like every week, someone would be leaking information and/or trying to blindside me. Katie was the only one I was able to grow to trust the first half of the game, so it took a lot of manipulation to survive to our final alliance.

How the **** did the three of you manage to get all but two of the idols (the two of which were used ineffectively)?

Around Week 3, Katie and I started working on trying to figure out the Hangmans. I noticed a three-letter word and immediately thought of 100. During the next two weeks, I pushed Katie towards 100 trophies for our first idol. Katie then managed to get another idol using her extensive Survivor knowledge. Around that time, you told me about the switch, and I convinced you to trick your alliance into exiling me, earning us three idols at the time of the merge. Enma figured out the alliance idol, and I quickly swiped that one as soon as it was available. I also did a giant info dump of multiple Survivor wikis, expecting to get two idols at once. When I didn't, I got a little nervous. You see, at the time, I didn't have full trust in Enma yet and promised to give him one of my two idols to keep him on our side. I had no choice but to give him my idol, which ironically gave me idol number five. And then I saved all of my points for during the auction for the inevitable final idol.

@MStalker58asks:

Do you have any deals to split the prize money with other members?

We all feel like we all deserve the money, so of course we're splitting it. We haven't decided on the exact method yet, but what it'll probably be is Winner takes $50, others take $40.

If you had to compare your game to any contestant on the actual Survivor show, who would it be?

I haven't watched Survivor in a long time, so I can't really say for certain. Richard Hatch sounded pretty cool though. Let's go with him.

@xZoneHunterasks:

Which immunity/reward challenge did you put the most time and effort in?

The reward challenge I put the most effort into was the UR challenge. Believe it or not, a lot went wrong during that challenge. A Minecraft trophy that was supposed to take an hour took about six, and then another Minecraft trophy was teetering on the edge of Very Rare (which it did less than a week later). I spent the last two+ hours trying to get an injustice trophy that just wouldn't pop. The trophy was to use all special attacks, so I had to keep cycling through the characters, praying something would work. With less than ten minutes left, I switched to BMX+ (a game I suck at) and somehow got the winning trophy in time. I tend to get a bit of a skill boost when in a close match.

Which leads me to the immunity challenge I spent the most time/effort in, which was obviously the long games challenge. Originally, Enma was supposed to do the challenge, but deep down, I knew I had to be the one to do it, and I'm glad I did. Even though work/commute took close to half of my time away, I had to keep trying. I pulled two near all-nighters, sleeping for only three hours the entire challenge. I absolutely destroyed Flappy Goat, a trophy that took me 100 times as long on the PS3 (no exaggeration), and grabbed the spoils from every FTP I had left. While at work, one of my counters told me I was winning 266-211. I counted, and you had 267 (way to go, counter). Unable to get you to slow down, I was ready to give up and concede. But then, Kent reminded me of the ultimate weapon, Minecraft! I bought the game, called my mother and guided her through downloading/updating the game (now that was an annoying phone call). I came home as fast as I could, and with everything planned out, I was supposed to get about 60 points. Not being able to focus on anything but the game, I knew that wasn't enough. I earned trophies until the very end, somehow getting a whopping 78 points in an hour, passing you within the last ten minutes. It was such a rush and easily the high point of the entire event.

@Fredoline05 asks:

Are you proud of how you played the game, or what would you have done differently if given the opportunity?

I am proud of the way I was able to manipulate my enemies, make new friends, and help my alliances out in challenges, whether by strategizing for them or competing myself. What I'm not proud of is how I handled victory. In the beginning, I knew most of C3 hated me, so I acted like a villain so they would think I wasn't in an alliance with anyone. The role kind of stuck, and I later chose to taunt anyone and everyone who opposed me, just so I would be a target, rather than my allies. It's easier to decide who to use idols on that way after all. Looking back, this barely helped my game, and some of my posts were a little cringe-worthy. If we were to do this again, I wouldn't be as annoying. 

In your opinion what could Couch change to make the event more even to all participants (I'd like to see the winner's point of view on this one)?

Since this was the first season of Survivor, I took the liberty throughout the season to find every loophole imaginable and exploiting them. That being said, hereis my Loophole Handbook. The ones in red are ones that really shouldn't be allowed. Others are either rules that should have been better explained or rules you wouldn't have known unless you asked. Speaking of, Couch SOMETIMES posted answers to pm'd questions on the thread, but not all the time (*cough *cough changing elimination rules *cough *cough). That is why there should be a rule that all questions must be asked on the thread for all to see. Also, people who either forfeit a challenge or score zero points should get a penalty vote.

Besides tweaking the rules though, the weekly schedule was absolutely dreadful (at least for me since I worked this summer). Why was Sunday a free day? WHY?! And the immunity challenge is more important than reward, so why not put that during the weekend when most people can compete? If the schedule was just moved back two days, we may have seen much better immunity challenge face-offs.

@Lucas asks:

What was the most nail-biting moment for you in the event?

Voting off Tear. At the time, I really didn't want to use an idol, so I did a full-day investigation to see who voted for whom. First, I went to zone, who revealed nothing except they were following kent's plan. Kent was on edge that week due to his alliance barely trusting him as-is, so I needed more evidence before I could confront him. Luckily, I convinced stalker to tell me everything he knew. You were splitting the vote between me and tear, but stalker only knew that he voted for tear and tear voted for me. I convinced him to ask you and zone who you voted for. Stalker immediately came back and said zone voted for me, but you took your sweet time. I was almost certain you were lying, but I had to talk to kent first, just to be sure. After a while, he finally admitted that the plan was his idea, but he wouldn't stop saying that you voted for me. So I told him that I voted for tear without idoling, and kent flipped out. That was all the evidence I needed. I sent my vote (after a good twenty minutes of hovering over the send button), and almost immediately got this message:

On 7/11/2017 at 3:11 PM, Couch said:

Lol LMAO. SMH haha haha 

Couch then made me wait a full hour before revealing the votes. Was that necessary? No. Was it funny? No.

@acetryhard asks:

What if your elaborate plans had all failed early in the competition and you were eliminated what would you do?

I wouldn't have been too surprised. Being as hated as I am, I didn't expect people to trust me enough to keep me around until it was too late. I never would've made friends with the members of our alliance sadly, and I probably would've retired in shame. I'm glad that didn't happen. ^-^

We'll check back in tomorrow with glennrhee's answers. 

• Like 3

Alrighty folks. Last day for questions. Here are Katie's responses

@Kent10201Questions

Was there ever a decision you made that was independent and not approved by your alliance?

Honestly, every move we made towards the end was kind of a team effort. There were things I definitely disagreed with my alliance on - I was in favor of you joining us when you were kicked out of the other alliance, and I wasn't on board with voting out Stalker when we did - but in terms of strategy, making a unilateral decision wasn't fair to the rest of my alliance. I did go against the plans during challenges and play different games than what was recommended, though.

What is the most memorable moment in the event for you?

Trying to plat Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with Jem and having a trophy glitch on me, forcing us to start over. That, or when the three of us tried to boost Paladins and kept getting deserter penalties.

How the beep did the three of you manage to get all but two of the idols (the two of which were used ineffectively)?

I know a lot about Survivor, so we went over the most memorable parts of the show (Richard Hatch, Sandra, Johnny Fairplay, etc) and tried them all in the chat. We also sat up all night once and tried to brute force the hangmans. Asking Zone for an alliance was a clue that we won during a team immunity challenge, but no one was able to claim it because at the time, I controlled two idols. The others were mostly luck, such as Enma winning the hidden auction item that granted the idol as opposed to the hidden item Fred got. Not to keep bringing up friendship, but it really was a group effort.

@MStalker58 Questions

What do you plan on buying with the prize money if you win?

I want to extend my FFXIV sub. A lot of it ran out during the event.

Do you have any regrets from the event?

Not really! For me, the event was all about pushing myself to do my own personal best. With that in mind, the only thing I would have done differently was not let a real life situation affect me during the immunity challenge the week you left. I feel bad for letting my alliance down.

@xZoneHunter Questions

Which immunity/reward challenge did you put the most time and effort in?

Definitely the Uncommon challenge (the one where I outscored the entire opposing team). It was basically two days of nonstop playing, and even when I was exhausted, I stayed up and pushed through to earn as many points as possible.

@Fredoline05 Questions

Are you proud of how you played the game, or what would you have done differently if given the opportunity?

My only regret was not pushing myself during one specific immunity challenge and letting real life get in the way. I'm proud of how many trophies I earned and the friendships I've formed. I'm proud that I was able to put certain games on my profile (WRC and Guacamelee, specifically), which will force me to play them in the future. The game was really fulfilling for me in a lot of ways, and I wouldn't trade that.

In your oppinion what could Couch change to make the event more even to all participants (I'd like to see the winner's point of view on this one)?

I actually think it was very even. The challenges varied on rarity (some required you to earn commons, some required URs), and most gave you more points for earning plats. Immunity idols were not hinged on any one specific thing. I won my first one for earning 100 trophies during the event, and my second for mentioning Sandra in the thread. I may have had a slight advantage in that regard, since I've watched every season of Survivor, but even people who had never seen a single episode could win immunity idols by earning plats or just trophies in general. I never felt at any point like the event was catered to one type of player. There were immunity challenges I was better suited for, and some that others were better suited for. I also came in the game not knowing anyone. I'd never posted on PSNP apart from a comment here or there. So the game wasn't dependent on having pre-existing friendships, either.

@Lucas Questions

Did you ever even think about betraying your alliance?

No. From a personal standpoint, I had made friends with Jem and Enma, and I know that I, personally, wouldn't feel good about backstabbing them, even if it is just a game. From a gameplay standpoint, it would have been suicide. Jem was the only person who reached out to me. If I had defected to help you, Stalker, and Zone, for instance, I would have been at the bottom of the ladder.

@acetryhards Questions

What reward round/immunity challenge was your favorite

I liked the individual immunity challenge where we had to earn the entire alphabet! I thought it took a lot of strategy and time management as opposed to just brute force trophy hunting, which was a nice change of pace! As for rewards, my favorite part of the TV show is always the Survivor auction, so I have to go with that! 

Tomorrow is set for the final 3 to give their final speeches as to why they should be crowned the winner and then we'll move right into the votes. 

Have a good night 

• Like 3

Day 6 - speeches

This is it. The last chance the three finalists have to give the reason why they should be crowned the winner. Jem has sent his speech in ahead of time. That just leaves @Enma8910 and @GlennRhee to do the same. 

@jem12345final speech:

"So, this is it. I still can't believe I made it this far. I was just aiming for jury vote at the start, but about a month in, there was a huge fight on the PSNP Anime Club Discord Server (which most of you were there for) which was basically everyone saying I would never ever win an event that wasn't my own. I'm used to abuse like that, but that night, I was pushed too far. Something snapped inside me, and I focused all of my energy on Survivor. I made allies with the people no one would reach out to, spent hours figuring out idol clues, manipulating kent to my advantage, and finding every loophole Couch clumsily left behind.

I know a lot of you hate me (or at the very least hate my tactics), but before you decide that I don't deserve to win, look at the facts. Every week was a struggle. I had to plan around allies defecting, as well as challenges that no one in my alliance was really suited for. Yes, Katie and Enma won us immunity their fair share of times, but it wouldn't have been possible without my help. Enma won the 48-hour challenge because I won the reward. Katie won the uncommon challenge (and our first idol) because I made an elaborate plan for her and boosted with her. The list goes on.

But the most convincing evidence at all should be my most recent performance against zone. While I was on vacation, neither Katie nor Enma were able to defeat Zone. I come home and immediately overpower the competition. My strength, intellect, and cunning are all incomparable. Love me or hate me, please vote for the person who deserves it the most.

Like I said in my Q&A, we're splitting the money. I'm not trying to win for the money at all. I'm fighting for respect and recognition as a prominent trophy hunter. I didn't have the heart to vote off either of my newfound friends, but I can guarantee you that I want this win more than either of them. Whether that makes a difference in your vote is up to you."

6 minutes ago, Fredoline05 said:

I hope it's ok that I wrote a bit about our 3 finalists and didn't just post: 'I vote Enma'

It's more than okay. I'd rather people give reasoning honestly. For the most part, you have us pegged pretty well.

Yeah, my speech could've been better. I'm thankful for Katie and Enma for everything they've done for me, but highlighting their achievements would've just given everyone more reasons not to vote for me. I wasn't going to win a popularity contest, so my only option left was to highlight my strengths. It was a gamble (apparently a bad one).

• Like 2

Hmmm, my answers on those questions sure make it seem like I have a problem with Jem, just to be clear: I haven't. Maybe that was my reaction in the heat of the moment or something like that but actually I get along with Jem just fine (just wanted to point that out)

Also: congrats Enma, you trully deserve it!

• Like 2

So, this is how it ends. I can't say I'm too surprised. Congrats @Enma8910 on a well-deserved win!

Thank you to the few people who supported me, whether in the jury or not. As for the rest of you, I hope there are no hard feelings. My competitiveness makes be a bit crazy at times.

Thanks @Couch for running such a hectic event. It may not have been perfect, but it was a lot of fun. Also, thanks @Andrea for keeping this event stable when Couch wasn't around. It was obvious that you did a great deal over the course of the season, and it was greatly appreciated.

You haven't seen the last of me, but when I come back, it will not be as a villain, but as a friend. Whether you want to believe that or not is up to you.

• Like 4

Congratulations Enma on the win, honestly wasn't expecting you to do it. Definitely underestimated you, thought you were a random that didn't know what was going on or how to play when the game started but you played the quiet underdog role very well. Thank You for being the only one that didn't vote for me the week I was voted out, I knew it was coming but seeing that you went against the grain anyway means a lot.

Nothing against Jem but I'm very happy to see him lose after all the trash talk and cringe-posts that went on those first weeks.

As for the Kent/Matt thing, I knew Kent was untrustworthy from the get-go but Matt was determined to have him on board. It may not have been a good choice of judgement but I respect Matt's positive attitude throughout those first weeks despite there always being the obvious intention to eliminate C3 members first.

Thanks to Mark for hosting, I hope you learnt a few things from this event and make more exciting events for everyone. I may or may not be a part of them but I will be watching time to time.

• Like 1