The Horror Movie Thread

jackmadrox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, XMinusZero said:

Watched the new IT the other night. I liked it but didn't think it was as great as I had been hearing.

I loved the movie a lot, but I am fearing that it won’t be nearly as scary as a home release. In the theater, I felt like there was an inescapable tension, and that was made worse because I went alone and also am a germaphobe, which made me really uncomfortable with the leper scene. I think most of the jump scares were cheap though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watched The Cloverfield Paradox onNetflix last night.

It's got good effects and a nice cast, but some sloppy writing keeps it from being great. 

Overall though, I think the movie is not nearly as bad as critics are making it out to be. If you go in expecting it to be a bad movie like I did, or even just expecting it to be a standard sci-fi horror movie, and you will be pleasantly surprised. It's forgettable sci-fi pulp for the most of it - but it does have a certain charm.

It's got one of the dumbest lines in sci-fi history though.

Spoiler

Paraphrased: "That star sign is upside down... That means we're on the wrong side of the sun!"

Wait. What.

• Like 1

I recently rewatched the 1986 Monster in the Closet and found it to be a lot of fun. It's a decent effort by Troma and is worth checking out if you're looking for something that isn't meant to be taken seriously. The monster looks cool and the main cast consisting of Donald Grant, Denise DuBarry, Henry Gibson, and a young Paul Walker do a great job of keeping you interested and they have each have distinct personalities. Their ways of dealing with the monster definitely work for a movie like this since the military tries to get rid of him with brute force. The monster only wants a place to stay after all. I'd say give it a spin if it sounds up your alley.

11954792_10101054909914775_4316556081836

watched this the other night on a whim - not bad at all.

slow paced, and much more interested in creepy than out-and-out horror, but both leads were good, particularly Kiernan Shipka, who I had only ever seen as Sally Draper in Mad Men before this.