The Horror Movie Thread

jackmadrox

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 3:06 PM, SKIBADEE187 said:

I think you are on the money with the new Icons comment mate.1f44d.png

As much as I love Jason, Michael,etc., they've really run their course, just like the horror icons before them had, (Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, etc.). It's time for a new generation of horror icons to step up, and Slenderman is a great place to start. In my opinion of course.

I am surprised that no one mentioned Hellraiser.  I like the second one the most.  

Cannibal Holocaust is great, the original found footage film.  super gory and thought provoking.

Tucker and Dale is really funny.

Cabin in the woods, I love the ending.

120 days of Sodom, it is so messed I don't know where to begin.  

Begotten, an very special experimental film that leaves you very unsettling.

I still want to see A Serbian Film.  it is supposed to be super messed up.

40 minutes ago, FacistJockGlitch said:

I am surprised that no one mentioned Hellraiser.  I like the second one the most.  

Cannibal Holocaust is great, the original found footage film.  super gory and thought provoking.

Tucker and Dale is really funny.

Cabin in the woods, I love the ending.

120 days of Sodom, it is so messed I don't know where to begin.  

Begotten, an very special experimental film that leaves you very unsettling.

I still want to see A Serbian Film.  it is supposed to be super messed up.

I enjoyed A Serbian Film, the uncut version is pretty disturbing though

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just watched Day of the Dead: Bloodlines on Netflix. I can't say it was good. It was trying to be serious, which is almost a novelty for a zombie film, now-a-days, and is possibly the thing I appreciate most about it. It's a remake of the Romero classic Day of the Dead. Being set in a bunker, having a zombie that doesn't want to eat a doctor, and having an asshole military captain are the only things it has in common with the good one, which is more than the other remake in 08. I'm glad this used the subtitle Bloodlines (despite the movie having nothing to family, heredity, or lines of blood), as it helps in conversation to distinguish it from the the Romero one and Nick Cannon one.

They spend a fair amount of time out of the bunker and are able to leave as much as they want, so it doesn't have that claustrophobic effect of Romero's bunker (yeah, I 'm gonna keep comparing them.), and it's also fully populated with civilians, including children, so the characters aren't really isolated. The new Captain Rhodes (or whatever rank and name he has in this one) doesn't really seem threatening or like he's going insane as much as he's just a bully who had a mean daddy. The new Bub (Max, in this) isn't a tame zombie, but a virus resistant demi-zombie that doesn't want to eat the Doctor, because he wants to r**e her... Yep. This movie thought it was up to the task of handling that subject matter. The Doctor even let's him lick her at one point in exchange for a blood sample. It's not a change I like. Despite just being icky, it's more interesting for me to see glimmers of humanity in Bub than seeing that *SHOCK* the monster Max is a monster.

It's not the worst movie in the world, but I didn't like it. I probably would have judged it less harshly if it didn't cloak itself in a familiar and beloved name. Then again, I might not have watched it at all if it didn't.

• 3 weeks later...

Teeth. 

I had to check it out lols.

For anyone that doesn't know it's basically about a highschool girl with a set of razor sharp teeth inside her vagina.

This is one I of the most stupid films I've seen in a long time haha. So the girl in question is abstinent and on a crusade through her school to push abstinence on all the other students. Her boyfriend supports her all the way but when he can't take the watermelon like bollocks anymore due to lack of sex, they inevitably come to lose their virginity with very unpleasant results. 

It just goes on like this basically. The ravenous fang snatched bloodthirsty man eating (literally) beast moves on from one dude to the next, eventually going to see a gynecologist to hopefully rid herself of this terrible affliction but instead has the fellas fingers off and bails. 

...... On the run..... No explanation. The end. ?

Worth checking out if you want a laugh but don't expect a horror masterpiece lols. 

• 5 weeks later...

So I watched Dario Argento's Opera yesterday and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The movie is about a young opera singer, Betty, who takes the place of the a young diva due to being hit by a car, so Betty has a chance at stardom in the Verdi opera of Macbeth. The already troubled production is not helped by the fact that Betty is stalked by a black-gloved psychopath who wants her all to himself and will kill anyone who gets in the way. Oozing with beautiful cinematography reminiscent of Suspiria and POV shots reminiscent of Deep Red, this giallo is one that will stick with you for quite some time. That being said, the brain shots may feel out of place to you because it may not be clear how they contribute to the story. The set design is praiseworthy, however, and it never feels inconsistent considering that there as scenes where Betty's performing as well as when she's in her apartment. Lastly, there's plenty of bloodletting to balance out the calm moments with some memorable kills. While the dubbing is a bit hard to make out at times, I'd say check it out if you're looking for something different.

Edited by glassthursday

Everybody is talking about this Hereditary movie like it's the most disturbing thing that's come out in years. What could be worse than a guy getting skinned alive and have pieces of his flesh cooked and eaten in front of him? (Wrong Turn 4) Or an evil Santa Claus putting a hooker through a wood chipper? (Silent Night)

I think some of these people on Twitter are being paid to comment good things about movies that are currently in the theater. I haven't seen Hereditary yet, so I won't knock it yet. But I seriously doubt there's anything this movie will do to shock me. 

Recently watched Hereditary, and it's one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. The director really nailed it, especially considering this was his first big film. There was a great attention to detail throughout and I thought the actors did an incredible job making the experience immersive. There was one scene towards the end that I found a little unsettling, but nothing outright terrified me, although most movies don't. I'll have to rewatch it eventually to catch some of the things I may have missed and because some idiots in the theatre thought it was funny to keep making the clicking noises the girl made in the film.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

I'll have to rewatch it eventually to catch some of the things I may have missed and because some idiots in the theatre thought it was funny to keep making the clicking noises the girl made in the film.

God, same. I really enjoyed the movie a lot, but the audience I saw it with was the absolute worst. Through the whole movie people were on their phones, making the clicking noise, and a bunch of people started straight up screaming during the climax. 

Spoiler

At the end of the movie when several people were naked- a few people were joking around very loudly and one couple was actually offended by it and started yelling. This is rated R, everyone in my group was an adult, and of all the things in this movie the nudity is what offends you? 

I see horror movies in theaters pretty regularly and sometimes you get rowdy crowds, but this audience was bizarre and horrible. I watched 3 reviews after I went to see it and all 3 of them said the audiences were really bad and suggested avoiding big groups. I don't know if it was the marketing around this movie or the high praise it got before it's release, but it sure did draw in the worst crowds ever. I feel bad because A24 makes really good unique horror films, but it seems like general audiences hate them and end up ruining theater experiences for everyone who wants to watch them. It's The VVitch all over again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

God, same. I really enjoyed the movie a lot, but the audience I saw it with was the absolute worst. Through the whole movie people were on their phones, making the clicking noise, and a bunch of people started straight up screaming during the climax. 

Hide contents

At the end of the movie when several people were naked- a few people were joking around very loudly and one couple was actually offended by it and started yelling. This is rated R, everyone in my group was an adult, and of all the things in this movie the nudity is what offends you? 

I see horror movies in theaters pretty regularly and sometimes you get rowdy crowds, but this audience was bizarre and horrible. I watched 3 reviews after I went to see it and all 3 of them said the audiences were really bad and suggested avoiding big groups. I don't know if it was the marketing around this movie or the high praise it got before it's release, but it sure did draw in the worst crowds ever. I feel bad because A24 makes really good unique horror films, but it seems like general audiences hate them and end up ruining theater experiences for everyone who wants to watch them. It's The VVitch all over again. 

I think this may have been the first time I went to a theatre to watch a horror film and the audience was just disappointing. I have no idea why anyone would be offended by that scene, although it seems like people find everything offensive nowadays. The showtime for my viewing was at 10:30 pm, so maybe that had something to do with it, but I'll never understand why people pay to see a movie just so they can act like complete fools throughout it.

I watched A Quiet Place and I've never been so bored, I was the first out the cinema, there was nothing new on show, except that it was, er, quiet. I cannot understand why it got high praise.

I've not seen Hereditary, all my friends went to see it at the weekend. They said it had amazing promise but at the end it was so bad they were belly laughing at parts. Feel like I've dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfriended-Dark-Web-poster-600x865.jpg

I rented this from a redbox recently. I'm a fan of the first unfriended movie, so I had moderately high expectations for this.

I mean, it's okay. Nowhere near as good as the first one though. It was kind of a bummer that the threat are humans 

and not something supernatural like the first movie. That really turned me off from this movie. I mean yeah I know humans

do messed up shit for no reason, but I don't need to rent a movie to see that, I can just turn on the evening news. 

The acting isn't bad or anything, it was decent actually. But I'm not a fan of this one.

The Haunting of Hill House was very good. The story kept me engaged and most of the actors did an incredible job. I particularly liked the actors playing the siblings both in the past and present day coincidentally. I'd love to see Netflix order another horror series with this director and maybe even bring on some of the actors from this project.

Also saw Halloween a couple weeks ago and I thought it was okay. There were a bunch of kills that happened partially offscreen, which was underwhelming and there was one particular guy that I 100% thought Michael would kill (and was hoping he would), but he never even got the chance to, which was disappointing. I do like that Michael felt like this powerful force, but it was absolutely ridiculous that he was struggling in CQC with Laurie. Doesn't matter how much she prepared or trained for him, it made no sense.