Outlast 2 has a platinum. What do you think?

snakebit10

30 minutes ago, Harry94_ said:

Quite a few situations, if you get spotted, you are dead. You can't get out of it by running and hiding. You also need camera light at the end, If you don't have any then there's no way you are getting through it xD

I'll put a few encounters in a spoiler below. Bear in mind, spoilers so only open if you don't care too much about enemies and areas.

Reveal hidden contents

There's an enemy with a bow, and the bow he shoots from miles away with pin point accuracy. If the bow hits you, you are dead. There's a few chase sequences were you have to be perfect to the second. If you mess up, a tiny bit, you'll get grabbed and instant killed. By mess up I mean moved the camera a little too slow/quick and didnt close a door quick enough.

Outlast 1 was much shorter, so not using a battery wasnt so bad. In this, it's 2hrs longer and you get 1/4 of the battery taken off you :(

Looks like powerpyx will be the first person to get 100%
Well 2:30 hours on insane is fucking amazing, i mean when you just need 4 hours to get one trophy lol
Outlast 1 is a walk in the park compared to this game ( and still hard for the most of the people lol )

I'm more scared of the trophy list than the game. The fact that we have to endure countless retries again is just frustrating but I think its worth it. I'll play this game during the summer holiday

Goodluck to everyone that's going to SUFFER

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SectionHUN said:

I want the platinum trophy and the game but not with this price. It's just too much for me for a short or only 5-6 hour game.. meh.

biohazard 7 was 4H long for the full price. so i think its a pretty decent price for the game... #justmy2cents

Yeah, for heavens sake! Complaining about the $30 price tag...!? For *this* game?!?!

Insane. With a Platinum, and this length of an experience, exactly what price is it you think is fair? Because I sort of take issue with taking issue at the $30 price, since I feel that's actually an *amazing* deal for a brand new release.

If you want constant repetition in order to have 100 hours of content for your $30, go play RPGs. You give me one example of a survival horror title that's markedly longer than Outlast 2 - and, I've played every single one (seriously, look at my trophy profile and tell me the console/non-PC horror title I've missed from the past five years.). There is literally no horror title, independent (with a couple dozen other owners), or otherwise, that has much more content than Outlast 2. 

Most of those games....? They're a full $60! Outlast 2 is pretty much the first/only "major" horror release of this length that has released for half as much as everything else comparable. 

If you're destitute or don't like horror, that's one thing. But please don't make it sound like the developer is gouging fans with Outlast 2, because it is just the exact opposite. 

Btw, we *need* more horror games - its a woefully undersupported genre. Especially in this day and age, where graphics enable a terrifying experience - most especially now, with VR. This still hasn't happened, however - so please support this title, offered at a great discounted price, that studios might realize a considerable audience does exist, and fulfill that gaping hole slightly better. RE7 was a step in the right direction -widely supported by a huge audience. Having Outlast 2 being an immediate success, as well, just might wake these executives up. It is so f***ing ridiculous CoD or Battlefield, or AC, or on and on, get annual releases, whilst Silent Hill is locked away. 

As far as Outlast 2? Its hardly the greatest thing ever - been playing for four hours now. If you liked/tolerated the first, its more of the same... perhaps even better than the first. The Insane/No Battery run will be next to impossible, as Harry already discussed. I suspect I won't be Plating this for that reason: I *hate* one shots/one mistake over hours equals start from scratch. I love the genre and Platinums, but not quite that much as to drive myself insane over several days locked in endless repetition in search of that flawlessly perfect run.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coladar said:

Yeah, for heavens sake! Complaining about the $30 price tag...!? For *this* game?!?!

Insane. With a Platinum, and this length of an experience, exactly what price is it you think is fair? Because I sort of take issue with taking issue at the $30 price, since I feel that's actually an *amazing* deal for a brand new release.

If you want constant repetition in order to have 100 hours of content for your $30, go play RPGs. You give me one example of a survival horror title that's markedly longer than Outlast 2 - and, I've played every single one (seriously, look at my trophy profile and tell me the console/non-PC horror title I've missed from the past five years.). There is literally no horror title, independent (with a couple dozen other owners), or otherwise, that has much more content than Outlast 2. 

Most of those games....? They're a full $60! Outlast 2 is pretty much the first/only "major" horror release of this length that has released for half as much as everything else comparable. 

If you're destitute or don't like horror, that's one thing. But please don't make it sound like the developer is gouging fans with Outlast 2, because it is just the exact opposite. 

Btw, we *need* more horror games - its a woefully undersupported genre. Especially in this day and age, where graphics enable a terrifying experience - most especially now, with VR. This still hasn't happened, however - so please support this title, offered at a great discounted price, that studios might realize a considerable audience does exist, and fulfill that gaping hole slightly better. RE7 was a step in the right direction -widely supported by a huge audience. Having Outlast 2 being an immediate success, as well, just might wake these executives up. It is so f***ing ridiculous CoD or Battlefield, or AC, or on and on, get annual releases, whilst Silent Hill is locked away. 

As far as Outlast 2? Its hardly the greatest thing ever - been playing for four hours now. If you liked/tolerated the first, its more of the same... perhaps even better than the first. The Insane/No Battery run will be next to impossible, as Harry already discussed. I suspect I won't be Plating this for that reason: I *hate* one shots/one mistake over hours equals start from scratch. I love the genre and Platinums, but not quite that much as to drive myself insane over several days locked in endless repetition in search of that flawlessly perfect run.

because people think it's published by Capcom or other AAA publishers/developers, it's not worth that much. It's been given an indie label and people assume they should all be under $20

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SectionHUN said:

I want the platinum trophy and the game but not with this price. It's just too much for me for a short or only 5-6 hour game.. meh.

You think you will get the plat in 5-6 hours?

xD:facepalm:

I'm assuming Harry and PowerPyx have been at it like work for days now.  

Edited by audiopile

1 minute ago, audiopile said:

You think you will get the plat in 5-6 hours?

xD:facepalm:

I doubt he'll get 100% trophies from this game! If most of people think that the insane mode of the first game is difficult then prepare to take a dose of hours of headaches because outlast 2 is a brutal game in every respect! One of the best horror games of the last years in my opinion !

1 minute ago, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

I doubt he'll get 100% trophies from this game! If most of people think that the insane mode of the first game is difficult then prepare to take a dose of hours of headaches because outlast 2 is a brutal game in every respect! One of the best horror games of the last years in my opinion !

Well after e few runs you know the game and the fastest/safest ways so after that you only need to grind and get a little lucky. Your insane run should be 2:30 to 3 hours long and that is still pretty short imo. I can make atleast 1 attempt aday. And youll most likely improve every single time. Im curious to what the speedrun community comes up with. They will probably find something to makes the runs shorter/easier. 

3 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Well after e few runs you know the game and the fastest/safest ways so after that you only need to grind and get a little lucky. Your insane run should be 2:30 to 3 hours long and that is still pretty short imo. I can make atleast 1 attempt aday. And youll most likely improve every single time. Im curious to what the speedrun community comes up with. They will probably find something to makes the runs shorter/easier. 

2:30 without mistakes? well good luck !!
There are many parts of the game where you have to rely on the "luck" method for example in the part where you try to play the "cat-mouse"!

Spoiler

An example: in the part where you push a cart in which you have to go around the house to get him out of that area, the problem is that 60% of the time he appears right in front of you, dropping the side part of the fence

Just now, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

2:30 without mistakes? well good luck !!
There are many parts of the game where you have to rely on the "luck" method for example in the part where you try to play the "cat-mouse"!

Hide contents

An example: in the part where you push a cart in which you have to go around the house to get him out of that area, the problem is that 60% of the time he appears right in front of you, dropping the side part of the fence

Well if you make mistakes you run will most likely end. Anyone who dedicates themselfs to getting plat will get it eventually. And if it it takes 3 hours you can still attempt i fairly often. Its all going to depend on if you can suffer through it death after death.

Just now, Quink666 said:

Well if you make mistakes you run will most likely end. Anyone who dedicates themselfs to getting plat will get it eventually. And if it it takes 3 hours you can still attempt i fairly often. Its all going to depend on if you can suffer through it death after death.

I'm not saying the opposite! One thing i know in the world of videogames nothing is impossible!
And i'm not talking about harry or powerpyx, 
they have enough experience to get platinum in any game!
You will only get platinum on this game if you have a good dose of patience and persistence, otherwise you will continue to hit your head on the wall

1 minute ago, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

I'm not saying the opposite! One thing i know in the world of videogames nothing is impossible!
And i'm not talking about harry or powerpyx, 
they have enough experience to get platinum in any game!
You will only get platinum on this game if you have a good dose of patience and persistence, otherwise you will continue to hit your head on the wall

In my experience pausing and following video guides has helped me get tons of trophies. I will definitely use a video guide when i try going for the 2 insane trophies.

Just now, Quink666 said:

In my experience pausing and following video guides has helped me get tons of trophies. I will definitely use a video guide when i try going for the 2 insane trophies.

I wish i could do that on resident evil 1 for those speedrun's trophies but the pause button doesn't stop the time !
I'm kidding :P

48 minutes ago, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

I wish i could do that on resident evil 1 for those speedrun's trophies but the pause button doesn't stop the time !
I'm kidding :P

Just for fun i timed how long you can have night vision/microphone on with a full battery.

Only night vision 3 minutes. 

Only microphone 3 minutes.

Both microphone and night vision 90 seconds.

Since you loose 1/4 of the battery through story progression you only have 2 min 15 seconds to use for your insane playthrough, less then 1 minute per hour basicly =P

1 hour ago, Rose_OmnisLacrima said:

Really now...?! I'm just curious, you place this above and beyond RE7?!

To me, RE7 was a masterpiece all on it's own - in VR, there has never been a horror experience comparable to that. With VR, it's almost automatically off in a category all to its very own. As I said before, I've played literally every horror title in this console generation... (Something that I almost seem singularly unique in, considering the incredibly low level of players a title like Sylvio has had, what with only 39 people so far on PSNProfiles - and as the first person to 100% Here They Lie, another great game that, watching it over time on this site, took forever to get much exposure). It's quite a shame that so few folks really seem to be as crazy/desperate for horror such as myself.

I enjoy Outlast 2 because it is indeed horror, but likewise, I can't really say it could even remotely touch RE7 in quality - both gameplay and storywise. The horror genre, for me, is the typical RE7/Silent Hill esque experience - deep mystery, intense suspense, some category of hidden collectibles to acquire for trophies+expanding the story itself, along with basic combat or stealth, but having a good deal of puzzles/head scratchers mixed in in order to advance. Outlast 2 just relies too much on the "in your face, run, run, run!" randomized gameplay, wherein through accidental stumbling or constant repetition, you slowly "learn" what to do. Don't get me wrong, its absolutely worth $30 (and more), but placing it above RE7 is almost blasphemous heresy in my opinion. It just isn't quite that "full" horror genre experience in *my* eyes, fulfilling or narrowly focusing on a couple of those elements exclusively and building a jump scare title around them.

I'm not much a fan of the "stealth" horror mixed in with occasional "run like hell to the next objective". Unfortunately, the horror genre does seem to be moving more towards the Outlast type experience - being very similar to Here They Lie or Sylvio, which, with RE7, amounts to the sum total of horror released these past few months on the PS4. Oh, what I'd give for a Silent Hill in VR - hell, now that this game is out, I honestly and genuinely have no idea whatsoever as to the "next" horror genre title to anticipate, whether indy or AAA, VR or not. (*Maybe* Death Stranding...? Detroit: Become Human simply looks *awesome* as to several of these categories, but likely won't be quite as Horrorish as, say, Heavy Rain was.)

Bottom line, Outlast 2 is well worth your $30 - an awesome horror experience, but, in my well worn eyes when it comes to horror, it's just missing "something". It does indeed have several (six to eight hours) of horror fun in order to beat it, so get it now and support Red Barrels + Horror video games in general. 

Thanks for that Essay, Colader. I've never been so scared in my life reading that. That being said, I'll pick this game up sometime in the future. Although only 46 players so far? It has yet to update I take it? I mean, it got decent exposure, pretty good reviews all around, so it does seem odd at the moment.

Edited by FOX

1 hour ago, FOX said:

Thanks for that Essay, Colader. I've never been so scared in my life reading that. That being said, I'll pick this game up sometime in the future. Although only 46 players so far? It has yet to update I take it? I mean, it got decent exposure, pretty good reviews all around, so it does seem odd at the moment.

It has yet to update i think.

2 hours ago, Coladar said:

Bottom line, Outlast 2 is well worth your $30 - an awesome horror experience, but, in my well worn eyes when it comes to horror, it's just missing "something". It does indeed have several (six to eight hours) of horror fun in order to beat it, so get it now and support Red Barrels + Horror video games in general. 

Dont understand why you are omparing RE7 and Outlast. They are 2 totally different horror games. 

RE7 is horror with puzzle/combat (if you really can call anything in RE7 puzzle im not sure. extremely simple puzzles) while outlast is a  simple run and hide simulator with occasional stealth. 

Both are great games in their own but i dont think you can compare them. 

Btw upcoming horror games to keep your eye on is Agony, Perception, Visage and System Shock reboot all 4 coming for PS4 and look really promising so far. Dont forget COD WW2 that will be a real thriller.

Edited by Quink666
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Just for fun i timed how long you can have night vision/microphone on with a full battery.

Only night vision 3 minutes. 

Only microphone 3 minutes.

Both microphone and night vision 90 seconds.

Since you loose 1/4 of the battery through story progression you only have 2 min 15 seconds to use for your insane playthrough, less then 1 minute per hour basicly =P

There are parts of the game that everything is dark and in which you are a victim of persecution! I don't know how i will play the game without recharging the camera ... this is the big challenge in this game.

7 hours ago, Coladar said:

Really now...?! I'm just curious, you place this above and beyond RE7?!

RE7 is a joke compared to RE1 and 2

10 hours ago, Quink666 said:

It has yet to update i think.

Dont understand why you are omparing RE7 and Outlast. They are 2 totally different horror games. 

RE7 is horror with puzzle/combat (if you really can call anything in RE7 puzzle im not sure. extremely simple puzzles) while outlast is a  simple run and hide simulator with occasional stealth. 

Both are great games in their own but i dont think you can compare them. 

Btw upcoming horror games to keep your eye on is Agony, Perception, Visage and System Shock reboot all 4 coming for PS4 and look really promising so far. Dont forget COD WW2 that will be a real thriller.

Yeah, they absolutely are *very* different games. Without a doubt. But they all *are* horror - appealing to our horror fanatic clique all the same. It was, however, why I tried to stress (and apparently failed to do so) that "my thing" is horror tinged with that RE/SH puzzling survival horror bit over the run and hide of Outlast. 

But as a horror nut, if it has supernatural elements to the story, I'm in automatically. I don't even question my purchase. 

The comparison between RE and Outlast 2...? Well, I absolutely did crazily enjoy RE7 at a level I didn't think was possible. There *is* a reason for that comparison - VR. Outlast 2 so @#*$ing should have been in VR that it isn't even funny. Such a missed opportunity that I weep for it as I play along. I might have been just as hooked for this game, with the level of graphics this engine provides. Outlast 2 was *made* for VR - the fact they didn't delay it to include that feature, especially after RE7, is almost inexcusable.

And I realize from having this debate elsewhere - if you haven't experienced VR, you simply don't know what you're missing. Trust those of us that have - with horror...? There is *nothing* like it. 

And as to the reply about RE1 etc beating RE7 any day of the week...? Lol. Again, obviously didn't play it the *first* time around in VR. That made something of an almost transcendental experience. You are never the same after you have had that experience. RE7 *was* a decent survival horror game with, IMO, a pretty damn awesome story, to boot. But it wasn't groundbreaking, I admit - until you factor in VR. Then, that changes everything. Literally everything. It becomes something incomparable to anything else. 

And thanks for the list of upcoming horror titles - I'll be checking them all out, without a doubt! If nothing else, even if it isn't exactly my taste in horror/supernatural, I feel it is important to support the genre that devs realize there is an audience for the genre, and continue creating new titles and experiences to fill that supernatural horror niche.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coladar said:

The comparison between RE and Outlast 2...? Well, I absolutely did crazily enjoy RE7 at a level I didn't think was possible. There *is* a reason for that comparison - VR. Outlast 2 so @#*$ing should have been in VR that it isn't even funny. Such a missed opportunity that I weep for it as I play along. I might have been just as hooked for this game, with the level of graphics this engine provides. Outlast 2 was *made* for VR - the fact they didn't delay it to include that feature, especially after RE7, is almost inexcusable.

And I realize from having this debate elsewhere - if you haven't experienced VR, you simply don't know what you're missing. Trust those of us that have - with horror...? There is *nothing* like it.

Hey there, I work at a game developer (which has released a couple games for VR), so I thought I'd provide a different perspective here.

Red Barrels is an indie dev (only 12 people when they announced the project), so it's entirely possible they couldn't afford to delay the game another 6-12 months to add VR support. It had already been delayed from Fall 2016 to Q1, and then again to Q2. Further delaying for VR integration is a tough call to make when they don't have other projects to help fund their ongoing development of this one.

The other (potentially more important, if funding isn't an issue for them) point is that you can't just tack VR onto a game to make it a good VR game. VR can be this incredibly immersive, robust experience that's unlike anything else you can play...but games have to be designed for it. Really simple things, like having a light turn on in the distance of a traditional game, your eyes are drawn to it. You can have a fixed camera angle, forcing the player to look at something you want them to see. That's not possible in VR, because player agency is more important than when holding a controller and playing on a TV. If you weren't looking in the direction of the light when it turned on, and then you turned and saw it, was it always on? If you're not sure, you might not be drawn to it in the same way. There are best practices that VR devs are learning (audio cues are huge), but that doesn't mean you can just add VR support to a game and have it be good.

VR also doesn't do well with fast movement (locomotion), and with Outlast having many sequences where you're running at top speed away from enemies, I'm not sure it would translate so well without major game design adjustments. Resident Evil 7 actually has some issues with translation, as well. Don't get me wrong, RE7 is a very good game, and still probably the best example of horror in VR, but it's still clear that it wasn't a game designed for VR. When you get on a ladder, crouch, or enter some cutscenes, the screen abruptly jumps or does a quick fade to black. It's a good way of handling the porting to VR given the alternative (motion sickness), but it's still not as ideal as if the game was designed first or exclusively for VR, and those compromises wouldn't have to be made because it would have been designed so those transitions wouldn't need to happen in the first place.

We're still in the infancy of VR, and I think there'll be a lot of "a-ha!" moments in the coming year or two, where developers figure out a solution to some of those problems and that solution becomes the norm. Remember when many earlier 3D games had tank controls, because we didn't (as a collective industry) know better?

Long story short, I'm both a big horror fan and a big VR fan, and I'm very excited to start Outlast 2 this week. That said, I think the only way Outlast 2 should have come to VR is if the devs thought it was the right decision for their game, which it looks like they didn't, and I can totally understand why.