Street Fighter V thoughts so far....

RickTheRular

• 1 month later...

I don't like the incorporation of free to play elements but I'm torn on wether they're an inevitable addition to all strongly multiplayer focused games. There can be no doubt that they're at least done with some thought toward retaining a consistent player base which is good for a fighting game but they're so intrusive and for a game that released at full price I expect better. 

Sorry if I can't comment on gameplay too much, I like fighting games but I'm no expert.

I thought it was a good fighting game. It certainly requires a LOT of practice and skill if you want to become good at the game. I don't know if the game could be considered accessible to new Street Fighter gamers like myself. For example, it took me a while to learn how to do moves for certain characters because I wasn't sure what certain button configurations meant when I was in practice mode. Contrast this with Tekken, which tells you what buttons to press if you want to do a certain move (for example press :square::triangle::square::square::cross::cross::circle::cross::triangle:+:triangle::square: to do King's 10 hit combo). 

The combos are relatively simple compared to SFIV, just requires a great deal of practice to get the timing down. Some characters are really broken like S2 Laura where every matchup with her is a constant guessing game. The V Trigger is a solid comeback mechanic and I really like the grey health, which is far better than just having a guy chip you down. I think the real problem for most gamers at launch was that SFV was too barebones. After many updates and the addition of new characters, I feel like it's finally becoming a solid fighting game. 

25 minutes ago, Miles_Warren said:

I thought it was a good fighting game. It certainly requires a LOT of practice and skill if you want to become good at the game. I don't know if the game could be considered accessible to new Street Fighter gamers like myself. For example, it took me a while to learn how to do moves for certain characters because I wasn't sure what certain button configurations meant when I was in practice mode. Contrast this with Tekken, which tells you what buttons to press if you want to do a certain move (for example press :square::triangle::square::square::cross::cross::circle::cross::triangle:+:triangle::square: to do King's 10 hit combo). 

There's an option in practice that lets you display moves with the outputs on the screen, so instead of seeing say, Hadoken you'll see Hadoken ⬇️➡️:square: