Raspberri Pi as an emulator

Oobedoob S Benubi

32 minutes ago, Cool Rick said:

16:9? BOOOOOOO!

I keep any game on its original aspect ratio. I also use a CRT shader because that's the kind of screen those old games were made for and it really shows in my opinion when you don't use it, with graphics that are 'off' and too bright an image.

As long as we're talking fun stuff to do with RetroPie, I love that scraper thing for game info, it makes the menu seem a lot cooler. I don't scrape ratings though, because fuck other people's opinions.

:)

I had a wide screen CRT a few years before lcd/plasma and kind of got used to it, Basically my snes, playstation and sega saturn where all forced 16:9 for a few years so I guess it just became natural to me. There's allot of playstation and Saturn games that I never saw on 4:3 even when they were new games. It was a Japanese crt and you could not change the aspect ratio for composite, only rgb/vga. I understand it's not natural but 4:3 just looks weird to me. With that said the crt shader is brilliant for arcade and snes or megadrive games,I mean DOUBLE DRAGON already,,, ahem.

Only tinkered with the Pi/RetroPie a bit further yesterday but I got rid of the black borders (thanks for the suggestion @Z1MZUM) and the Bluetooth seems to be holding up consistently with my PS3 pad.  Does feel like there might be a little lag with the input but it's also possible the Mario games (which I've been testing with) are just heavy platformers in general.  Having played them semi-recently on my laptop even wired in... I do remember an adjustment period.  May still consider the NES/SNES old school USB pads.

Have to admit the whole thing works pretty smooth now.  Definitely think I want to invest in a new power adapter with a on/off switch (I saw some that exist as I was shopping before) since constantly plugging and unplugging is pretty unappealing... and I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer of the Pi case I got about the shocking.

Until then, I can survive pretty well not touching the aluminum siding and unplugging as needed (for the time being).  Definitely feels like more of a "retro gaming system" now when I go and boot it up, having disconnected myself from the initial setup required and slept on it. xD

Now I just need to move the rest of my games onto it and scrape them... which will probably take a while since I opt to choose for myself if the system finds more than one potential entry per game file.

Edited by Dreakon13

Oh man, I went to update the emulators last night and clicked yes on "Do you want to update the underlying software?", it took 2 hours to reinstall Raspbian before updating the emus. In any case my goal is achieved, The Neo Geo, Playstation, Mega Drive/Megacd/32x are all packed away and replaced with this tiny device delivering hdmi and in most cases looking better then the original console output.

Heads up: the "Sega Mega Drive And Genesis Classics" Collection is on a 75% off sale on Steam. This includes ROMs for the games so it provides a completely legal way to add more ROMs to your RetroPie.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/102625/

(P.S. many ROMs are of *.68K and *.SGD extentions, but a simple renaming to *.smd is enough to make them work with RetroPie)

Edited by Cool Rick
  • Like 2

Nice with the roms, I won't hide the fact that I'm a collector and have tonnes of systems and games. I had my own "King Of Fighters" festival on Saturday and didn't worry once about my aging Neo Geo because the Pi did the job just fine.

I've spent hours making ps1 iso's and now hooked up a 1TB portable HDD. The speed via usb is faster then the SD I had so finally Ridge Racer 4 and Gran Turismo are playing properly.