Why do I Suck?

Trugo314

So aside from the controls menu, I haven't found a legit tutorial. I had to Google how to drift, and I watched videos too. But no matter what, I can't replicate the drifts. For wider turns, they stayed in higher gear so they had enough power to make it through the whole thing, and for hairpins, they stayed in mid-gear then downshifted to get more power towards the end. When I try long drifts I either balance out and lose speed or spin out and stop completely. For hairpins, I stay in third and then drop to second, but then I spin out. I've tried letting off the throttle, only tapping the handbrake, I still can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? 

I think you are looking into it too hard. I played purely in automatic and never watched my gear or RPM. Just slight E-brake and feathering the throttle so you don't spin out. I don't remember having any real issues with the drifts I have done in Driveclub. Maybe you could post a video or something for some visual feedback?

• Like 1

Something about Driveclub I just suck at it too. I do fine with Need 4 Speed games....I would love to raise my completion a little more though for DC :(

There's no doubt that some of the challenges are tough, but they are fair in the sense that practice makes perfect. As mentioned above, keep transmission on Automatic, you don't need to pay much attention to your speed or gears (apart from speed challenges) and you can safely complete most of the challenges with braking assists set to Low (some of the harder time trails may require removing this)

Just keep practising and you'll learn a knack for controlling your cars, all classes handle slightly differently with Hyper requiring a lighter touch for example.

As for the initial drifting query above, personally I find it's better to make the corner as wide as possible. Apply your handbrake and then while in drift just feather the throttle enough so that you carry speed but don't spin out or go off track. Again, it may take practice to test the limit of your car and that of the track. You may approach some corners at high speed and in these cases it's not uncommon for you to need to brake as you're drifting, as long as you're travelling you will accrue points.

For me personally all of the hardest challenges in this game are time trials, some took me multiple hours.

Edited by g-bake_1986

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2017 at 3:02 AM, Trugo314 said:

So aside from the controls menu, I haven't found a legit tutorial. I had to Google how to drift, and I watched videos too. But no matter what, I can't replicate the drifts. For wider turns, they stayed in higher gear so they had enough power to make it through the whole thing, and for hairpins, they stayed in mid-gear then downshifted to get more power towards the end. When I try long drifts I either balance out and lose speed or spin out and stop completely. For hairpins, I stay in third and then drop to second, but then I spin out. I've tried letting off the throttle, only tapping the handbrake, I still can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? 

Yeah you're thinking this way too hard.

Just drift across these red and white things and i can promise you'll beat every challenge really easy:

kerb.jpg

Edited by Venenum80
fail at english

• 10 months later...

The game for the most part is easy, drifting can take a few practices on learning how to take the corners, but it's essentially an arcade racer, one of the easiest racers I've played in years, I'm more into rally simulators, for all the hardcore racers out there, if you want a challenge, go buy dirt rally and try for that platinum, great game, for all the casual racers, my tip would be, every racer up buy, always go manual and turn off all assists if possible in the options, learning how to drive properly will give you the edge in all racing games, automatic/corner braking assist etc, all that does is slow you down, driveclub is fun but it's not a sim, only problem I have with the game is that it doesn't give the option to change gear using up and down on the r3 analogue, big issue for me, but an easy platinum

5 hours ago, Shmeefly said:

The game for the most part is easy, drifting can take a few practices on learning how to take the corners, but it's essentially an arcade racer, one of the easiest racers I've played in years, I'm more into rally simulators, for all the hardcore racers out there, if you want a challenge, go buy dirt rally and try for that platinum, great game, for all the casual racers, my tip would be, every racer up buy, always go manual and turn off all assists if possible in the options, learning how to drive properly will give you the edge in all racing games, automatic/corner braking assist etc, all that does is slow you down, driveclub is fun but it's not a sim, only problem I have with the game is that it doesn't give the option to change gear using up and down on the r3 analogue, big issue for me, but an easy platinum

Doesn't seem like you tried DLCs.

Try 100% them and then decide if it's easy or not =D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've just come back to this after a long time away and am driving like a bag of shite. I got the plat a while ago, getting all the dlcs for the 100% on the other hand na! I just could not be arsed. Find it really boring tbh. Do one event and they all start to look the same. Drive a bit, starts raining. Repeat..... And I'm now finding it impossible to control the cars.