Lego City Undercover selling for 59.99?!

So I was in Target today doing some shopping and decided to take a stroll through the videogame section and do some browsing.  As the title suggests I see Lego City Undercover selling for $59.99.  $59.99 for a Lego game?  Now don't get me wrong.  If they want to charge that, that's fine.  I'm just surprised is all.  To the best of my knowledge, Lego games have always sold for $29.99 to $39.99 US at launch.  Lego Worlds just released for console just recently and that's selling for $29.99 and, from what I can tell, that Lego game is a much larger game with a lot more content.  Again, this isn't really a rage or bitching post.  More of a "Wow!  I'm surprised the publishers (WB Games) went with that price point!" post.  What are everyone else's thoughts on this?  Do you think this is going to be the beginning of a new norm for Lego pricing?  Again, if it is then alright.  They have a right to charge that of course.  Just kinda surprised.

retailers control the pricing after the MSRP set by whomever they sell/buy from. only one could do if disagree with the price is to either buy elsewhere or wait for the price to go down after month's. it doesn't stay like that forever.

edit: with prime, one could get the game for 50$.

everywhere else is at 60$.

Edited by kingdrake2

7 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, they did want to copy GTA.

I think it's a re-release.  Wasn't this originally out on the WiiU?

12 minutes ago, kingdrake2 said:

retailers control the pricing after the MSRP set by whomever they sell/buy from. only one could do if disagree with the price is to either buy elsewhere or wait for the price to go down after month's. it doesn't stay like that forever.

edit: with prime, one could get the game for 50$.

everywhere else is at 60$.

The publishers set the price.  Otherwise, every single game would be $59.99.  Most are, but not all.   https://gamerant.com/video-game-prices-breakdown-514/undefined  Aside from that, I agree with what you say.  Maybe this is WB Games setting the stage for $59.99 pricing on Lego games from now on.  Hey!  If it is, it is.  Can't fight city hall, y'know? LOL I really don't buy games at launch anymore anyway so it really doesn't affect me.  It just surprised me, that's all.

I'd be fine with Lego games being a full $60 going forward, but this particular case rubs me the wrong way because the game is over 4 years old at this point. Other remasters like Darksiders launch in the $20-30 range, so what makes this game so special that it costs twice that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xylobe said:

I'd be fine with Lego games being a full $60 going forward, but this particular case rubs me the wrong way because the game is over 4 years old at this point. Other remasters like Darksiders launch in the $20-30 range, so what makes this game so special that it costs twice that?

I was thinking the same thing.  You would think that the cost of a game would be based, to some extent at least, on amount of content i.e. how large a game is, etc., etc.  I mean one would think that, right?  A large open world game with tons to do seems like it takes extra man hours and more people to make than a game that isn't as large.  Again, one would think.  With this in mind, one would think that Lego Worlds should be $59.99 and Lego City Undercover (especially being a four year old game on the WiiU that's being re-released on PS4/Xbox One) would be $29.99 to $39.99.  Again.  One would think.  But whoever said life made sense.  I think WB set this price point for two reasons.  The first being Lego City Undercover was, from what I've read about it, "immensely popular" and they wish to ca$h in on that hype even if it is a four year old game.  The second is I'm betting this is WB's first step in moving forward with the full $59.99 pricing for all future Lego games.  I guess we just have to wait and see is all.

1 hour ago, Akimitsu782 said:

I'm pretty sure most console Lego games release at the $59.99 price, especially the licensed ones. Lego Worlds was the oddity, with it releasing at launch for $29.99.

Yeah. The main LEGO games have been $60 on current-gen, $50 on last-gen. LEGO Worlds was an outlier because it was different from the normal formula, and it started as a PC game; they probably realized they couldn't charge full price for it.

Also, maybe LEGO City Undercover's pricing was confusing because LEGO games go on sale pretty quickly. The previous main-line LEGO game (Star Wars Force Awakens) is $30 now, but it was $60 at release. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Yeah, when I first learned this game would retail at $59.99 my eyeballs almost flew out of my skull.

Between this, Bulletstorm, Mario Kart 8, and Skyrim, I cannot believe the guts publishers have these days. 

As awful as it sounds, I hope all of these overpriced remasters flop. I do not want any company to fail, but their success could set a bad precedent for the industry.

Personally, I know I would never (ever!) pay $60 for a remaster!  

42 minutes ago, Heyxyz1 said:

Yeah, when I first learned this game would retail at $59.99 my eyeballs almost flew out of my skull.

Between this, Bulletstorm, Mario Kart 8, and Skyrim, I cannot believe the guts publishers have these days. 

As awful as it sounds, I hope all of these overpriced remasters flop. I do not want any company to fail, but their success could set a bad precedent for the industry.

Personally, I know I would never (ever!) pay $60 for a remaster!  

Bulletstorm wasn't 60 though

2 hours ago, Death_Ninja said:

Which is funny because I bought this for WiiU last year for $20 new lol

Fully remastered or not, this game should have been priced at $39.99.

Yeah, $40 would have been more appropriate, since they added stuff to the game (not sure how much) and they might have spruced up the graphics a bit (this might not be true).