Game thoughts?

Oobedoob S Benubi

Seeing as it's on PS+ now...

Less than 650 people own this game on PSNP at this point, which will probably change now that it's on PS+.

I am one of the people who bought it before PS+; it was on a 50% sale (so €4 instead of €8) mid-March.

I played the game back then and I really liked it, went back to it a few weeks later to do some remaining stuff which I don't do that often. All that's left for me is the no-death run on Clarendon, which is probably not much of a hassle for completionists.

Personally, I like platformers with a bit of a twist and I played this one right in between Hue and INSIDE. I liked how much information TYPE:RIDER gave you about the fonts and the history (though I struggled to keep reading by the end), and how each level has a completely different style (as it should seeing as each level is based on a different font). I'd say this game will keep you amused for a while and it ends before it gets monotonous or boring.

• Like 2

It's alright. I admire its creative levels and how you control the two dots. The bonus level was certainly an interesting experience. 

Still, the Clarendon level gives me trouble at the telegraph area but with a few more tries I should be able to get it. Decent platformer all around

• Like 1

This was one game I wanted to play for a while, and when the PS4 version finally dropped in price enough for me to consider buying it, I bought it. I have already 100% it. It's pretty short and not particularly hard. It's a 2D side scrolling platformer with controls it takes a little bit to get used to (not the button layout, but how the character moves). I enjoyed my time with it, but not amazing or anything, definitely not garbage either. It certainly didn't overstay it's welcome.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After playing through on the Vita, I was OK with it. After playing on PS4 I hate it. That god damn secret level. Not sure why I found it easier on the Vita, but I was so happy to 100% this and delete it off my hard drive. The game is garbage, IMO.

This game is great but trophies are shit. Yes they make the game of good quality, but secret level is absolute garbage. You need to be quick and no mistake to beat this level because there is a big stupid fucking cat will kill you in touch, and no checkpoint!!  I've been on this for hours on this shit. Fuck it!

Desperado is also a fucking shit, you need to complete the whole level without dying, which means if you die you can't restart just the section but you will have to restart the whole level!! anyway, 100% is not easy as you thought.

8 hours ago, midas82539 said:

This game is great but trophies are chips. Yes they make the game of good quality, but secret level is absolute cabbage. You need to be quick and no mistake to beat this level because there is a big silly funking cat will kill you in touch, and no checkpoint!!  I've been on this for hours on this ship. Funk it!

Desperado is also a funking ship, you need to complete the whole level without dying, which means if you die you can't restart just the section but you will have to restart the whole level!! anyway, 100% is not easy as you thought.

Looks like sombody needs to turn his frown upside down...

Personally, the secret level was the highlight of the game for me, played through it three times already. Absolutely loved it, and I would not have minded if there had been a few more levels that needed to be completed quick and without mistakes. Weird things, opinions.

Also, I fixed your post for you. That much cursing is not good for you.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good game, I think.  The secret level did surprise me with its difficulty, and defeating the Clarendon level without dying (or, more specifically, getting stuck behind debris and shot by the crosshairs...grumble grumble) took numerous attempts.  All-in-all a unique experience, complete with an interesting history of typography and nuanced visuals.

• 2 weeks later...

This have to be one of the worst games I have ever played; the art style is nearly perfect and the sound track is cool; but the gameplay is just auwful! The controls are cluncky and unresponsive; and the two dots you are controlling feel like they weight 100 killograms and can't jump 3 feet.

And I don't know why I am supposed to control 2 dots but not 1? What is the point of this? This add nothing but more clunckiness to an already awuful gameplay mechanics. I played many indie plattformers like Limbo and Super Meat Boy and the gameplay in those games are much better and fluid.

If not for the artstyle I will definitely give this game the worst game in mu trophies list.

The controls are really messed up, at least when you're going for the trophies. Otherwise they needn't be too accurate, because it is a slow paced game. I had a terrible time with the desperados trophy. However, it is one of the best Serious Games I have played, usually Serious Games are terrible games and focus on Education. I believe this game found a good balance and game design and soundtrack are well done. Great experience for everyone interested in Design & Art.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Type:Rider, or how to be pretentious by having piss-poor controls. I must say this game could have been okay for me, but since I am trophy hunter I of course went for the trophies....

Doing the no death run, while I didn't try too many times, just felt like wasted effort. Too many times do I die in this game because of the awkward controls. The game is fine when played casually, the controls make it feel weird and it suits the avant garde approach this game tries. But when I am heavily penalized for not perfectly using their very imperfect controls? No sir, no happy player for you, try again with your next game (same reason why I hated the challenge trophies in Prototype 1, just way too wonky controls for doing such perfection runs).

Now, so I move on with the game, deciding to do the collectibles and beating the levels and just leave that one trophy. Next level, going for the Ampersand... And the platforms move downards/upwards and around so it's impossible to reach... Okay, they don't reset on death, let's just restart this part then... Oh, it's permanent for this run of the stage, and won't go back unless I restart the whole thing?

That lead me here, feeling like ranting on the game. A unique style and funky music does not excuse horrible game design that leads to frustration over and over. If you don't care at all about trophies or collectibles, it might be... an experience, since honestly it's not really all that fun in my opinion what is offered.

• 1 year later...
On 1/11/2019 at 8:11 PM, TrulySilentLie said:

Type:Rider, or how to be pretentious by having piss-poor controls.

Amen to that. 

Aesthetic is fine, but a game lives and dies off control. And this one...dies. I despise this game. Not only does it have arguably the worst controls I've seen in a game, but it glitches a lot as well. My, ummm, balls got stuck in blocks a lot, leading to resets. In one particularly annoying instance (Pixel), I had to reset, but one of the doors I needed to enter apparently was closed permanently. So, I had to restart the level entirely...and pick up the letters again.

The best part is the trivia to me, but Christ - I could just read that on wikipedia.

I hate games where my deaths don't feel like they're my fault, and this is one of those games.