Trophy and Game Thoughts

Lars

What do you think about this game, i don't know what kind of game this is and unfortunately i can't check Youtube now until tonight.

Trophies look easy and because this is an adventure game this could become an easy platinum 

I have or was planning to get these on Steam. It's the third game, anyway.

Dreamfall Chapters (Norwegian: Drømmefall Kapitler) is an episodic 3D adventure game with emphasis on character interaction, exploration of the game world, and puzzle solving. It is a sequel to the adventure games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. The game was released for PC in five episodes between 21 October 2014 and 17 June 2016. The updated "Final Cut" version will be released on physical media for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on 5 May 2017 and for the PC, shortly thereafter.

The Longest Journey series is set in two parallel universes: Stark, a cyberpunk future Earth, and Arcadia, its magical fantasy counterpart. Chapters takes place in 2220 CE and continues the story of Dreamfall, whose protagonist Zoë Castillo had uncovered a criminal conspiracy that aimed to enslave both Stark and Arcadia by stealing their residents' dreams. Although Zoë managed to disrupt the conspirators' plans, she was betrayed and left in a coma at the end of Dreamfall, and has to find her purpose in life again in Chapters. The writers described the narrative theme of the game as "chapters of life".

• Like 3

For those interested in the trophy side of things: At least two playthroughs are required (or backing up saves, though you'd still have to play through several Books again regardless) as a lot of trophies are related to choices and they can affect trophies in later Books than when the choices are made.

• Like 2

On 5/5/2017 at 1:51 PM, zadorvp said:

For those interested in the trophy side of things: At least two playthroughs are required (or backing up saves, though you'd still have to play through several Books again regardless) as a lot of trophies are related to choices and they can affect trophies in later Books than when the choices are made.

I original thought it could be done with 1 playthrough, but the truth is, you're required to do at least 2 playthroughs. Well, 1.5 to be exact because the Platinum should unlock for you once you finished the last choice trophy during Book Three. This all depends if you did a perfect playthrough during your 1st playthrough.

In other words, you should be able to get about 42/46 trophies with just 1 playthrough. Replay Book One through Book Three and the Platinum Trophy will unlock during Book Three. Now, I haven't really counted all the trophies that you cannot get based on choices but I do count at least 3 + The Platinum Trophy. Those need to be done in a new playthrough. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leo_the_Lion25 said:

I original thought it could be done with 1 playthrough, but the truth is, you're required to do at least 2 playthroughs. Well, 1.5 to be exact because the Platinum should unlock for you once you finished the last choice trophy during Book Three. This all depends if you did a perfect playthrough during your 1st playthrough.

In other words, you should be able to get about 42/46 trophies with just 1 playthrough. Replay Book One through Book Three and the Platinum Trophy will unlock during Book Three. Now, I haven't really counted all the trophies that you cannot get based on choices but I do count at least 3 + The Platinum Trophy. Those need to be done in a new playthrough. :)

Book four because of the last choice you do in book 3, it was the last trophy i got before the platinum.

Doing all the available trophies during the first playthrough you will need

1 for book 1

1 for book 2

2 for book 3

1 for book 4

Edited by JLDAHAKA92
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, JLDAHAKA92 said:

Book four because of the last choice you do in book 3, it was the last trophy i got before the platinum.

Doing all the available trophies during the first playthrough you will need

1 for book 1

1 for book 2

2 for book 3

1 for book 4

Right, that's what I was trying to say. :)

I haven't made it there yet so I didn't know when exactly it unlocked. It's still in Book Three though. You don't have to finish or play through Book 4 or 5 in the 2nd playthrough is what I'm really trying to say. 

And that doesn't make sense. 

Playthroughs for books is like

2 Book One

2 Book Two

2 Book Three

1 Book Four

1 Book Five

Edited by Leo_the_Lion25
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Leo_the_Lion25 said:

Right, that's what I was trying to say. :)

I haven't made it there yet so I didn't know when exactly it unlocked. It's still in Book Three though. You don't have to finish or play through Book 4 or 5 in the 2nd playthrough is what I'm really trying to say. 

And that doesn't make sense. 

Playthroughs for books is like

2 Book One

2 Book Two

2 Book Three

1 Book Four

1 Book Five

Im Sorry my english is not the best lol, this is what i try to say.

1 trophy for book 1 

Spoiler
She's so cute!
Completed work at the lab. 

or 

Wel-ding!
Completed work at the Pandemonium. 

1 trophy for book 2

Spoiler

Stop the presses!
Zoë learns the truth from Sully. 

or

Dead ends
Zoë receives a recorded message from Baruti. 

2 trophy for book 3

Spoiler

Likho-time
You bonded with Likho. 

or

Enu-time
You bonded with Enu. 
Spoiler

A farewell to Kidbot
She was a good kid. 

or

A farewell to Shitbot
From now on, it's Awesomebot. 

1 trophy for book 4

Spoiler

Bad Boys
You survived Ge'en with Likho's help

or

Single mans
You survived Ge'en on your own. 

This game has been a bit of a pain to platinum. I'm about 30 mins off. Been playing for 28 hours so far.

the choice of what job you want to do changes what trophy you get and what trophy you can get in 3. So after a full playthrough you need to go back and do 1-4 in full - that's about 10 hours if you rush through iT. This is presuming you have been actively looking at all the missable (a lot) trophies and aiming to get them as if you miss one you can't get it unless you re-load - luckily it stores the last 42 auto saves, but you can't pick when the saves will occur. 

Its a a great game and I'm happy I've completed it, but replaying it is a bit annoying - but at least it's better than tell tale games where your choices don't matter and nothi major changes. In this people die, stories change and one plots differ based on your choices. 

Btw, the reason I say 1-4 and not 1-3 like others is at the end of 3 you pick if you take a guy on a mission with you. If you do you get a trophy at the end of 4, if you don't you get a different one at the end of 4. So you basically have to either reload before choosing near the end of 3 and play all through 4 or just do it on your second playthrough. 

The the bonded trophies are based on a choice you make in the second chapter yet unlock in the third, the job trophy in chapter 2 is based on a choice in chapter 1 and the kid/shitbot trophy is based on what job you chose in the first chapter as well. 

Its os a very long game :)

4 hours ago, turniplord said:

Its a a great game and I'm happy I've completed it, but replaying it is a bit annoying - but at least it's better than tell tale games where your choices don't matter and nothi major changes. In this people die, stories change and one plots differ based on your choices.

Interesting you'd say that considering there isn't much of a difference from Telltale Games' games when it comes to choices... characters die there and you get different locations/events based on your decisions just like here. Dreamfall Chapters doesn't even have multiple endings (just some changes to the epilogue characters) unlike some TTG games. I love the entire TLJ universe, but that does not magically make its choice system and its consequences have more merit than the TTG games' ones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zadorvp said:

Interesting you'd say that considering there isn't much of a difference from Telltale Games' games when it comes to choices... characters die there and you get different locations/events based on your decisions just like here. Dreamfall Chapters doesn't even have multiple endings (just some changes to the epilogue characters) unlike some TTG games. I love the entire TLJ universe, but that does not magically make its choice system and its consequences have more merit than the TTG games' ones.

In this game though - you actually feel you have made changes and the game adapts  for example, depending on what job you pick in chapter one plays out throughout Zoe's levels as you do the job, interact with that job's characters more, do different tasks and have a different bot to help you in chapter 3. Then, depending on if you torture or kill someone in chapter 2 results in who you spend time with in chapter 3. Then there is other smaller ones like if you disclose someone as being a trailer early on then certain people live or die in a later chapter and other things like that - they actually have a change in the game further than the chapter you are in.

That's where it is 'better' (in my opinion) than TT games as most of the choices in their recent games are does X live or Y live. then whichever you pick is basically a reskin of the other with no difference to the story or the events that you take part in. Usually the 'different' conversation is limited to the chapter you are in as well. The TT games are very simple on the story and rely more on their IP they have licenced for the story.

The only TT game in the last 5 years or so to have an actual real choice was the Minecraft story mode - in this there was a chapter where at the end you pick which character you wished to follow. Upon starting the next chapter you either went to one area or another with no way to get to the other area without replaying the previous chapter and picking a different option. That was good and actually gave the game some replayability - None of the other games offer this, the trophies are obtained by simply playing the game (which is why trophy hunters go after all the TT games as you can literally get the plat with your eyes closed) and they don't offer any replayability as you know that nothing will change apart from who is with you and maybe 1 or 2 lines of conversation.

I vaguely remember the wolf among us having some replayablilty as picking a different choice would give you different cards, but again, replaying it was purely for trophies - picking whether you ripped off a guys arm or not dind't really change anything apart from the next time you see him there is no arm and he may say 1 or 2 lines differently, other than that it was the same game.

I would like the TT games to go back to offering more adventure and less story-book style games, however, I know they wont as they are making millions off obtaining famous IPs and they have their trophy hunters who wont stop playing them to get the easy trophies. Dreamfall is like a mix of the TT episodic route with choices that change as mentioned above but mixed with the 'point and click' style adventure gameplay where you have to think what you are doing and perform inventory puzzles, like Kings quest, Silence, Yesterday origins etc.... 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, turniplord said:

In this game though - you actually feel you have made changes and the game adapts  for example, depending on what job you pick in chapter one plays out throughout Zoe's levels as you do the job, interact with that job's characters more, do different tasks and have a different bot to help you in chapter 3. Then, depending on if you torture or kill someone in chapter 2 results in who you spend time with in chapter 3. Then there is other smaller ones like if you disclose someone as being a trailer early on then certain people live or die in a later chapter and other things like that - they actually have a change in the game further than the chapter you are in.

That's where it is 'better' (in my opinion) than TT games as most of the choices in their recent games are does X live or Y live. then whichever you pick is basically a reskin of the other with no difference to the story or the events that you take part in. Usually the 'different' conversation is limited to the chapter you are in as well. The TT games are very simple on the story and rely more on their IP they have licenced for the story.

The only TT game in the last 5 years or so to have an actual real choice was the Minecraft story mode - in this there was a chapter where at the end you pick which character you wished to follow. Upon starting the next chapter you either went to one area or another with no way to get to the other area without replaying the previous chapter and picking a different option. That was good and actually gave the game some replayability - None of the other games offer this, the trophies are obtained by simply playing the game (which is why trophy hunters go after all the TT games as you can literally get the plat with your eyes closed) and they don't offer any replayability as you know that nothing will change apart from who is with you and maybe 1 or 2 lines of conversation.

I vaguely remember the wolf among us having some replayablilty as picking a different choice would give you different cards, but again, replaying it was purely for trophies - picking whether you ripped off a guys arm or not dind't really change anything apart from the next time you see him there is no arm and he may say 1 or 2 lines differently, other than that it was the same game.

I would like the TT games to go back to offering more adventure and less story-book style games, however, I know they wont as they are making millions off obtaining famous IPs and they have their trophy hunters who wont stop playing them to get the easy trophies. Dreamfall is like a mix of the TT episodic route with choices that change as mentioned above but mixed with the 'point and click' style adventure gameplay where you have to think what you are doing and perform inventory puzzles, like Kings quest, Silence, Yesterday origins etc.... 

I mostly agree with everything you said here, so this was definitely a better way of saying what you meant :P I also wish they'd go back to their older game styles, but The Walking Dead ruined that for us all. I'm very glad they lost the rights to King's Quest so that got a better game than they could have delivered, and I'm kind of hoping Monkey Island and Sam & Max rights would go to someone else at this point as well.

Congratulations on the Dreamfall Chapters platinum :D I'll finish it off myself over the next few days when I have time :)

• 1 year later...

i must say this, otherwise im gonna explode: its very easy to platinum with guide. but man... this game is soooo boring and sometimes sooo bad. the way you walk/run as Zoe, from one point and again to another. often stupid story, and the way it some things are designed, town, heroes moves or battles after fight? when i bought this i was thinking its gona be like Syberia 1-2. but nope! not gonna platinum this, i just want to forget this ... thing.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 29/10/2018 at 0:23 PM, A_KlR_A said:

i must say this, otherwise im gonna explode: its very easy to platinum with guide. but man... this game is soooo boring and sometimes sooo bad. the way you walk/run as Zoe, from one point and again to another. often stupid story, and the way it some things are designed, town, heroes moves or battles after fight? when i bought this i was thinking its gona be like Syberia 1-2. but nope! not gonna platinum this, i just want to forget this ... thing.

I agree. The animation of most characters is very robotic, apart from Crow who's animated really well. Most of them are very generic looking, which is a sin in the adventure genre as the created world is the most important thing. The way Kian attacks, the characters going through structures like door or NPCs is just laughable. When it comes to the humor itself that's prepared by the developers I have to write that it's awful, crude and very immature. The Crow and Enu are incredibly irritating. It's like the developers wanted them to apply to teenagers with their mannerism, phrases and way of talking. It totally spoils the atmosphere of the game (which isn't remarkable to start with).

Overly used cursing and occasionally bad voice acting are also a bit of a turn-off.

A couple levels/parts of the world are nicely done but you always have a sense of being limited, either by constantly going to the same places (Pandemonium, The Hand, Queenie's boat in Zoe's part and the tavern, Magical Market/Ghetto, South Gate in Kian's part) or the short gameplay sections. Some puzzles are also too vague to solve on your own. Constant cutscenes throw you off the tempo of the occasional gameplay as well.

Then there's the story which is a little too complex for its own good and people who didn't play the previous games. A lot of the ideas are copied from other games or movies: Total Recall, Assassin's Creed or even Star Wars - like when Zoe is riding that dinosaur creature. :) I was very disappointed at the whole outcome as I'd rather prefer the Zoe's part from the future on its own or the Kian's. I like to dive into the world that somehow fits and works as a whole. But here it's like playing two different titles, even three when you count the Saga's part. It's just a proof that the quantity is less important than quality.

Edited by The-Smiths-85

I finished this recently, only reason being that it’s being removed from PS+ Extra on May 15 and it looked like a reasonably easy and chill Platinum (which it basically was).

I thought the game was “ok” but at the same time there wasn’t anything that made me want more of the series. I didn’t actually realize beforehand that it was part of a larger series so I didn’t really understand certain things since there’s sort of an assumption that you’ve played the previous games.

It seemed fine for what I assume is an indie game. Graphics and facial animations were adequate, the environments were ok but there was a lot of back and forth to the same places over and over. Some of the puzzles would have been a bit too vague without using a guide, and you don’t really know where things are in some sections because the map is sort of limited. Without a guide you’d be spending a lot of time just wandering around trying to find some place it wants you to go because there’s no map markers or waypoints. I understand that some people like this, but I can see it being a bit annoying at times.

The Platinum itself is easy, it’s just a rather boring experience after you’ve finished the game once and have to replay 80% of it again while making different choices to get a handful of trophies.

If you like Telltale games you’ll probably like this as well. 

• Like 1