NaseemJohn

Thoughts on Prey

41 posts in this topic

When I first saw prey I didn't really know what to expect but after playing the opening hour demo im pretty excited for it. I love that you're given the choice on how you want to play with all the different abilities and weapons, it's atmospheric, story started off strong and seems like it's going to have a couple twists and you're rewarded for exploring. Hopefully the full game is even better but so far I'm pretty positive about it. A lot of people seem to dislike it though, what are your thoughts on Prey?

Edited by NaseemJohn
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The combat just didn't feel fun to me. Tried using the wrench and just didn't feel like was doing damage to my enemies and the gloo gun (if that was it's name) just felt like it did nothing... I tried to use it to climb to other areas but didn't seem to work as expected.


I just wasn't overally impressed and that has been the case with a number of big name titles this year so far. 

 

I will get this game maybe after a price drop. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NaseemJohn said:

When I first saw prey I didn't really know what to expect from it but I knew that it was gonna have some similarities to dishonored 1&2 since it's being made by Arkane which got me pretty excited since I love those games.Played the opening hour demo and now I can't wait till it comes out on Friday. I love how you're given the choice on how you want to play with all the different abilities and weapons, it's atmospheric, story started off strong and seems like it's going to have a couple twists, you're rewarded for exploring, reading emails etc. Hopefully the full game is even better but so far I'm pretty positive about it. A lot of people seem to dislike it tho. What are your thoughts on Prey?

I've had the game for a week now mate. And all i gota say is that the game is really good, coming from a fan of prey on pc back in 2007, also (i got a admit, that i was skeptical mate since it was a new developer on the game)arkane took the game to an whole other level which really surprised me how good the game is 👌 my personal score is 9/10 !

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very excited. It reminds me gameplay-wise of Bioshock and Dishonored (Duh), and I love both those franchises. It definitely looks like the story will be great, so will the level design, and I'm looking forward to discovering all the powers you can obtain. The only thing that I'm concerned about is the combat. I played the demo and felt like combat with the wrench and with guns was very imprecise and awkward to handle. I'm really hoping either something gets done to fix that, or I just get used to it while I play. I'm probably going to do four playthroughs to this game anyway, because I want to get everything I possible can from the first playthrough (without being restricted by trophies like not using certain powers). 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2017-05-04 at 8:09 AM, SolidJD said:

The combat just didn't feel fun to me. Tried using the wrench and just didn't feel like was doing damage to my enemies and the gloo gun (if that was it's name) just felt like it did nothing... I tried to use it to climb to other areas but didn't seem to work as expected.


I just wasn't overally impressed and that has been the case with a number of big name titles this year so far. 

 

I will get this game maybe after a price drop. 

Combat does need some work. That's surprising as there's been a lot of great games that came out this year and we're only in may. 

Edited by NaseemJohn
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

When I first saw prey I didn't really know what to expect from it but I knew that it was gonna have some similarities to dishonored 1&2 since it's being made by Arkane which got me pretty excited since I love those games.Played the opening hour demo and now I can't wait till it comes out on Friday. I love how you're given the choice on how you want to play with all the different abilities and weapons, it's atmospheric, story started off strong and seems like it's going to have a couple twists, you're rewarded for exploring, reading emails etc. Hopefully the full game is even better but so far I'm pretty positive about it. A lot of people seem to dislike it tho. What are your thoughts on Prey?

 

I'm really looking forward to playing it after work today. Guess I always enjoy games that slightly walk off known paths, and the whole mimic thing and the opening story twists grabbed me. I also like it when you're not the supposed super soldier but more like a mechanic a la dead space who has to overcome superior enemies.

 

I actually wanted to cancel my amazon preorder but the demo sold me somehow. Maybe Arcane has some fan bonus, but I think the game looks really cool.

Only thing I dislike are those trophies that force you to play it twice. Shadow and Ghost alone would be awesome though.

21 hours ago, DividedByMankind said:

I've had the game for a week now mate. And all i gota say is that the game is really good, coming from a fan of prey on pc back in 2007, also (i got a admit, that i was skeptical mate since it was a new developer on the game)arkane took the game to an whole other level which really surprised me how good the game is 1f44c.png my personal score is 9/10 !

 

Thats great to hear, I also played the original, but the whole teleport / upside-down-wallrunning thing was too much for me. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really loved the atmosphere, setting and feel of this game but the things I didn't like at all were the enemies and combat.

 

The combat feels really sloppy although it was a bit better when I got a normal gun, but still. The little mimics or whatever they're called are more annoying to fight than fun, and another thing I had trouble with was stealth, because many areas are supposed to be approachable in a stealthy fashion, but I found myself trying to stealth by and then suddenly a trash can or something in front of me was actually a mimic, which makes stealth pretty useless. Also them not having a head makes it hard to know which way they're looking (if they're not looking at a 360 angle that is, I don't know really cause I've only played the demo). Another thing I forgot was that the soundtrack was terrible, I had to take my headphones off because I couldn't take it anymore after like 30 minutes. That being said I'll get this game, when it's on sale. :P

 

Pros:

+ great atmosphere

+ interesting setting

+ interesting story (so far)

 

Cons:

- terrible combat

- boring enemies

- awful soundtrack

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cyphroniite said:

 

I'm really looking forward to playing it after work today. Guess I always enjoy games that slightly walk off known paths, and the whole mimic thing and the opening story twists grabbed me. I also like it when you're not the supposed super soldier but more like a mechanic a la dead space who has to overcome superior enemies.

 

I actually wanted to cancel my amazon preorder but the demo sold me somehow. Maybe Arcane has some fan bonus, but I think the game looks really cool.

Only thing I dislike are those trophies that force you to play it twice. Shadow and Ghost alone would be awesome though.

 

Thats great to hear, I also played the original, but the whole teleport / upside-down-wallrunning thing was too much for me. 

 

Yeah mate, i totally agree 👌😊

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing the full game now since launch and they have improved the combat and there's also more enemy variation than I thought it would have. So far an 8.5\10 in my opinion but will easily hit a 9 towards the end for sure 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats up with this platinum? Does it require multiple playthroughs? I heard the game is pretty long like over 20 hours just to complete. Is that the reason? Thanks!  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ironshell_thor said:

Whats up with this platinum? Does it require multiple playthroughs? I heard the game is pretty long like over 20 hours just to complete. Is that the reason? Thanks!  

Definitely will require multiple playthroughs, though how many I'm not sure. There's various trophies that say things like "do this thing" and then another trophy that says "don't do this thing". Then there's the gold trophy "Split Affinity" that says to game completions required, one with only typhon abilities and one with only human abilities. Two playthrough platinum might be possible but it's too early to tell.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say minimum 3 play throughs required. Probably 2 if you're very careful but it seems very unlikely since there isn't any guides out yet. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NaseemJohn said:

I'd say minimum 3 play throughs required. Probably 2 if you're very careful but it seems very unlikely since there isn't any guides out yet. 

 

 

20 hours ago, Chouonsoku said:

Definitely will require multiple playthroughs, though how many I'm not sure. There's various trophies that say things like "do this thing" and then another trophy that says "don't do this thing". Then there's the gold trophy "Split Affinity" that says to game completions required, one with only typhon abilities and one with only human abilities. Two playthrough platinum might be possible but it's too early to tell.

 

Definitely 2 for sparing/killing all humans. The skill based trophies (alien, human, no skills at all) could be reduced to 1 with a good save-game placement. 

Edited by Cyphroniite
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's right up there as a goty contender for me, really enjoying it, level design, atmosphere, aesthetic, story...all excellent.   Combat did take a bit of getting used to but it's not a straight up shooter, there's often a lot of planning, scouting enemies, basically having a strategy.   Took me a while to get used to the controls, but now I'm having a blast, and still dying a lot lol     It's a big game that offers an awful lot, want to explore?  Spend hours finding all sorts of hidden areas or pathways.  Want to stealth?  Want to go all out...?  I love that it doesn't hold your hand but does offer up lots of creative ways to go about a lot of things, from puzzle solving to combat, play how you want.   Can't get into that area because you don't have leverage 3?  Chuck a recycler charge at the blockage or morph into a cup and roll through a gap, or shoot a nerf gun through a window to hit the unlock button on a computer screen haha.   Can't find a keycard or code?  Just hack it anyway.   Keep losing a fight?  Set up a corridor of turrets and placed charges and lure it or stealth kill it or turn it's buddy against it...or give it a taste of it's own power. :)

 

I know it's only days out but it's a little sad to see so few owners on here, hopefully that'll pick up because Prey is great fun, absorbing and cleverly done overall.   It's like Dead Space 2 as a Bioshock game...brilliant, goty contender for sure!   

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my first shot at a prey game. Now I only played the demo and from the demo I can say:

 

+ Love the aesthetics and visuals

+ Great story from the beginning with lots of questions and twists.

+Great variety for tackling objectives

 

- Having to look or aim down on mimics is kind of annoying and disorienting

- weird soundtrack and the music is really annoying everytime I'm in danger( which is like 80% of the game).

- The combat felt off and doesn't feel satisfying hitting enemies with the wrench like in bioshock.

-movement was finicky and clunky but I guess it's one of those things you get used to.

Edited by poopooblast
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, poopooblast said:

- Having to look or aim down on mimics is kind of annoying and disorienting

- The combat felt off and doesn't feel satisfying hitting enemies with the wrench like in bioshock.

-movement was finicky and clunky but I guess it's one of those things you get used to.

 

I sympathize with that, I quite enjoy the soundtrack but that's subjective, however I did feel uneasy with the combat to begin with, but imo, it really does come away great, really engaging.   Mimics are supposed to be fast and disorienting, and the wrench does flail quite a bit, but it's the nature of combat that is ever evolving.   The controls/combat did indeed feel awkward at first but now it's a blast, often more strategic than desperate, unless you get jumped, but there's some incredibly hectic fights, and when you pull off a plan, or trap, or combo of weapons and powers...it's very satisfying, and if you mess up, you'll likely die!  Lol  

 

The demo doesn't do the game justice, it all evolves into so much more.   I had a fight whereby I had my trusty turret in the middle of a Y junction...and the place looked like a crime scene.   I was low on health, armour and power, but still standing, my turret was lying on its side sparking, in need of repair, there were gloo blobs all over the place, corrupted machine husks exploded on the ground, typhon body parts everywhere, materials thrown about from recycler charges, stuff on fire...if I could have I would have repaired my turret, put my shotty on my shoulder, lit a stogie and said 'that'll do turret, that'll do'!!  Great game. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedMustang72 said:

 

I sympathize with that, I quite enjoy the soundtrack but that's subjective, however I did feel uneasy with the combat to begin with, but imo, it really does come away great, really engaging.   Mimics are supposed to be fast and disorienting, and the wrench does flail quite a bit, but it's the nature of combat that is ever evolving.   The controls/combat did indeed feel awkward at first but now it's a blast, often more strategic than desperate, unless you get jumped, but there's some incredibly hectic fights, and when you pull off a plan, or trap, or combo of weapons and powers...it's very satisfying, and if you mess up, you'll likely die!  Lol  

 

The demo doesn't do the game justice, it all evolves into so much more.   I had a fight whereby I had my trusty turret in the middle of a Y junction...and the place looked like a crime scene.   I was low on health, armour and power, but still standing, my turret was lying on its side sparking, in need of repair, there were gloo blobs all over the place, corrupted machine husks exploded on the ground, typhon body parts everywhere, materials thrown about from recycler charges, stuff on fire...if I could have I would have repaired my turret, put my shotty on my shoulder, lit a stogie and said 'that'll do turret, that'll do'!!  Great game. :)

Thanks for the info! I mean I was just basing it off of what I played and hopefully it'll pick up as you said.  I'll be definitely picking it up though when it drops in price. :) 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, poopooblast said:

Thanks for the info! I mean I was just basing it off of what I played and hopefully it'll pick up as you said.  I'll be definitely picking it up though when it drops in price. :) 

No probs, if you really want to pick it up, nothing wrong with waiting for a sale at all, but I'd maybe YT some let's plays, preferably someone that's good at the game.  I did feel like you, and others have said, and now I'm having a great time with it, but ultimately it's only my opinion.   I haven't seen too much of it online, spoilers etc.., though from what I gather it's all pretty positive...just the usual do a bit of research beforehand, it's not a certainty you'll feel like I did.   If you can get comfortable with the mechanics of the game I'd expect you to enjoy it, a lot, but there'll still be moments of flailing the wrench and struggling to aim at in-your-face mimics...which to be fair has a kind of feral panic to it that's so refreshing from precision, aim-assisted, line up the targets shooters.  lol   Hey, borrow it, buy it a year from now dirt cheap, it's not about now or when or for how much, just that imo it's a great game worth playing at any point. :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

Edited by NaseemJohn
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It´s a very good game,and quite similar to DH1+2,but i like that.But it´s hard in comparison,really hard.I just finished the run for "No Needles" and "Do no harm" and got them (here on PSN-Profiles it seems im the 15th to achieve it O.o),but it´s very,very challenging even on easy.I just say N-CN9 BBO,those who have played will understand...

One thing bothered me though,and that´s loading time.It´s tedious to change places,when you have loading times around up to 1 minute in late game,at least it seems to me the times increased over time and objects i interfered with,such as turrets under my control,or with bigger inventory....

Bugs and glitches were only a few,three crashes in 36 hours game time so far,but one glitch was indeed a mission breaker,because it glitched a person to search (which was woven into a phantom) into a wall at life support where it could still see and attack me,but i couldn´t do sh*t about it....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spent two hours looking for an item that was vital to the story and to continue. Never found it and had to google where to go. Disappointed in myself.  Really liking the fact that the game is pretty open but then I get lost like I did haha

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 1:47 PM, poopooblast said:

This is my first shot at a prey game. Now I only played the demo and from the demo I can say:

 

+ Love the aesthetics and visuals

+ Great story from the beginning with lots of questions and twists.

+Great variety for tackling objectives

 

- Having to look or aim down on mimics is kind of annoying and disorienting

- weird soundtrack and the music is really annoying everytime I'm in danger( which is like 80% of the game).

- The combat felt off and doesn't feel satisfying hitting enemies with the wrench like in bioshock.

-movement was finicky and clunky but I guess it's one of those things you get used to.

I'm glad someone else brought up combat and movement issues.  I found it extremely clunky and hard to aim.  I even let my guy sit still and he was shifting around, which doesn't happen in any other games (I thought it was a controller issue).  I thought I was going crazy, but I ended up selling the game after 5 hours because I found the gameplay to be so bad.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ben242000 said:

I'm glad someone else brought up combat and movement issues.  I found it extremely clunky and hard to aim.  I even let my guy sit still and he was shifting around, which doesn't happen in any other games (I thought it was a controller issue).  I thought I was going crazy, but I ended up selling the game after 5 hours because I found the gameplay to be so bad.

Yea man. There was something about the gameplay that felt off. I'll be giving it a chance sometime in the future though but only when it drops in price or if it goes in the bargain bin :P

Edited by poopooblast
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it's not for everyone, but I just got my Plat and I had an absolute blast with it, that said, I did have a terrible time right near the end there with the game crashing constantly then my saves corrupting, I was lucky I had a manual save about an hour prior to it going haywire...if I hadn't I'd have been none too pleased.   Still, great game, and those that buy it later on will no doubt have it patched, a few bugs here and there that need sorting, but in four runs that was the only real crashfest I had so...

 

There was one thing that bothered me that wasn't just needing a fix, and that's Prey being another example of trophies trying their utmost to destroy my enjoyment of a game, the game and the trophy set just didn't compliment each other imo.   I think the skill trees should have been split into three, with human, typhon and a third tree with health, psi and suit/scope upgrades...it really didn't feel good that I couldn't access basic but important skills unless I'm going human.   Especially psi, I'm going typhon only, relying on psi to cast my abilities and yet the psi upgrade (pool) skill is a human one...and the human tree has one psi skill?   My initial run was a human and typhon, I wanted to enjoy the game, but if a game is going to funnel me down trophy routes, at least be conscious of it's own game mechanics and set-up.   

 

It is a great game though, and really does deserve a lot of credit for a lot of things...but military operators can go f^^k themselves!! :)

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in doubt about getting this game.

 

Someone wants to trade it for my Horizon Zero Dawn. price-wise it's very fair but I don't know if Prey is a game for me. I see it compared to Dishonored and Bioshock, both of which did not grab me. I still need to give Dishonored an honest chance some time but Bioshock was very boring to me, tried Infinite as well but it was also too boring.

 

I'm usually not that into FPS games but I loved stuff like the new DOOM and Wolfenstein.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.